Clinton suspends campaign, endorses Obama

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear friends,

Hillary Clinton's concession speech is interesting for three reasons:

a) she suspended her campaign - and, importantly, did not end it

b) she endorsed Barack Obama.

c) took the high road and called for party unity.

In doing so, she is keeping her options open, taking off the pressure and allowing Barack Obama to take center stage.

Watch this space.

Best,

Thor

Clinton endorses Obama, calls for party unity

Sen. Obama: "thrilled and honored to have Sen. Clinton's support"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York announced Saturday she was suspending her presidential campaign, saying in a speech to her supporters, "I will continue to stand strong with you every time, every place and every way that I can."

She urged the cheering crowd to support Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, presumptive Democratic nominee, in his bid for the White House, saying they should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Shortly after the speech, Obama, released a statement praising Clinton's presidential run.

"Obviously, I am thrilled and honored to have Sen. Clinton's support. But more than that, I honor her today for the valiant and historic campaign she has run. She shattered barriers on behalf of my daughters and women everywhere, who now know that there are no limits to their dreams. And she inspired millions with her strength, courage and unyielding commitment to the cause of working Americans."

During her speech, Clinton encouraged party unity, acknowledging that the fight has been hard, but "the Democratic Party is a family, and now it's time to restore the ties that bind us together." "To all those who voted for me, my commitment to you is unyielding. You have inspired and touched me. You have humbled me with your commitment," she said. "Eighteen million of you from all walks of life -- women, and men, young and old, Latino and Asian, African-American and Caucasian, rich and poor, middle class, gay and straight ... you have stood with me," she said.

Clinton said that as she spoke, America's 50th woman in space was orbiting Earth in the space shuttle Discovery. If the nation can put 50 women in space, it can launch a woman into the White House, she said to loud cheers.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/07/clinton.unity/index.html