IndiaDivine.org

Quiet in here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear friends,

The list has become quiet of late.

I have modified the wording here and there in my lastest blog, Far out astrology.

The detour of Western astrologyIt has not helped astrology, that its rebirth in the West in the late middle

ages resulted in a major detour from its historical forerunners as explained in the article Roman astrology in the ascendant. The result is that Western astrology is no longer a study of the mostly visible phenomena. As such, it has become removed from its intuitive and simple beginnings. Too often, one finds that rather than being rules-based Western astrology has evolved into a veritable free for all. When it comes to chart interpretation, in general it can be said that Western astrologers feel free to point to different factors without sufficient logical consistency. This is quite different from

the Systems' Approach of Vedic Astrology, which is both a comprehensive system and relies on a scientific approach to astrology. Below, we can see four features of Western astrology where it has taken a major detour from its historical origins.

Wrong zodiac used: by correcting for the precession of the equinoxes, the calculated tropical zodiac has lost its original moorings with the visible sidereal zodiac. There is evidence ancient astrologers knew about the precession but did not use it to adjust the zodiac (Holden, 1996). Since the late middle ages Western astrology has been based on the tropical zodiac, which is moving with relation to the fixed stars such that it is now 24° removed from the visible zodiac.

Overemphasis on the Sun: the Sun has now become the veritable 'fixed star' of Western astrology. The starting point of the reading is the sun sign without relation to the house the sign Leo falls into. Moreover, many Westerners view themselves as being e.g. a "Sun in Leo", when they are in most cases with "Sun in Cancer" as per the visible zodiac. That said, in Vedic SA astrology Sun is recognised for its importance and interpreted according to its functional nature. Moreover, when other planets are placed in Sun-Like Houses (2, 3 and 9) or the sign Leo, they are considered stronger.

Ascendant logic lost: the practice of Horoscopic astrology has largely been lost in the West. Hellenic, Roman and Vedic astrology all place a primary emphasis on the Ascendant. People are considered Aries if they have this sign in the ascendant. In Horoscopic astrology the focus in not on the sun-sign. Associated with this is the important logic that each house and its lord have a functional rulership, which is either positive or negative in the chart.

Use of irrelevant bodies: the discovery of distant bodies invisible to the naked eye has resulted in these bodies being readily incorporated into the practice of Western astrology based on the assumption that differences in likely influences based on gravitational force or visibility do not matter. These bodies are given major import in chart interpretation. This is likely an error in assumption (Holden, 1996).

I also note the following:

DisclaimerThe views expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as the views of the Systems' Approach or its creator.

http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/

Cosmologer <cosmologersamva Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39:53 PM Blog: FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

Dear friends,

I have penned another article, this time about a somewhat controversial topic, but I hope you take it as a useful contribution for the sake of astrology.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

From time immemorial, astrology has evolved as the study of the influences of planetary bodies on human life. Until the 18th century, astrology was focused on the Sun and Moon and other visible planetary bodies moving across the sky. In recent times, other more distant bodies, invisible to the naked human eye, have been discovered in our solar system. These

bodies have increasingly found their way into the practice of astrology in the Western world based on the adoption of metastories from Greek mythology mixed with insights from modern psychological theories. This article offers a closer look at these bodies and implications for astrological practice. The article is offered as an eye opener to those seeking greater interpretative and predictive accuracy.

To read more:

http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/

Best wishes,

Thor

Guest guest

Dear Thor:

Many thanks for the interesting articles you have written in the past regarding

Western Astrology, its history and comparison with the Systems' Approach Vedic

Astrology.

I often have people who come to me for readings with only a limited background

in Western Astrology and no knowledge of Vedic Astrology. So it is very helpful

to study your research in this area.

It's especially interesting that the fixed position of the Sun is taken to be so

important in Western Astrology's tropical zodiac and yet the precession

adjustment needed for accuracy has not been taken into account.

With appreciation for your knowledge and time with SAMVA,

Mew

SAMVA , Cosmologer <cosmologer wrote:

>

> Dear friends,

>

> The list has become quiet of late.

>

> I have modified the wording here and there in my lastest blog, Far out

astrology.

>

> The detour of Western astrology

> It has not helped astrology, that its rebirth in the West in the late middle

ages resulted in a major detour from its historical forerunners as explained in

the article Roman astrology in the ascendant. The result�is that Western

astrology is no longer a study of the mostly visible phenomena. As such, it has

become removed from its intuitive and simple beginnings. Too often, one finds

that rather than being rules-based Western astrology has evolved into a

veritable free for all. When it comes to chart interpretation, in general it can

be said that Western astrologers feel free to point to different factors without

sufficient logical consistency. This is quite different from the Systems'

Approach of Vedic Astrology, which is both a comprehensive system and relies on

a scientific approach to astrology. Below, we can see four features of Western

astrology where it has taken a major detour from its historical origins.

>

> �

>

>

>

> 1. Wrong zodiac used: by correcting for the precession of the equinoxes, the

calculated tropical zodiac has lost its original moorings with the visible

sidereal zodiac. There is evidence ancient astrologers knew about the precession

but did not use it to adjust the zodiac (Holden, 1996). Since the late middle

ages Western astrology has been based on the tropical zodiac, which is moving

with relation to the fixed stars such that it is now 24� removed from the

visible zodiac.

> 2. Overemphasis on the Sun: the Sun has now become the veritable 'fixed star'

of Western astrology. The starting point of the reading is the sun sign without

relation to the house the sign Leo falls into. Moreover, many Westerners view

themselves as being e.g. a " Sun in Leo " , when they are in most cases with " Sun

in Cancer " as per the visible zodiac. That said, in Vedic SA astrology Sun is

recognised for its importance�and interpreted according to its functional

nature. Moreover, when other planets are placed in Sun-Like Houses (2, 3 and 9)

or the sign Leo, they are considered stronger.

> 3. Ascendant logic lost: the practice of Horoscopic astrology has largely

been lost in the West. Hellenic, Roman and Vedic astrology all place a primary

emphasis on the Ascendant. People are considered Aries if they have this sign in

the ascendant. In Horoscopic astrology the focus in not on the sun-sign.

Associated with this is the important logic that each house and its lord have a

functional rulership, which is either positive or negative in the chart.

> 4. Use of irrelevant bodies: the discovery of distant bodies invisible to the

naked eye has resulted in these bodies being readily incorporated into the

practice of Western astrology based on the assumption that differences in likely

influences based on gravitational force or visibility do not matter. These

bodies are given major import in chart interpretation. This is likely an error

in assumption (Holden, 1996).

> I also note�the following:

> Disclaimer

> The views expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as the

views of the Systems' Approach or its creator.

> http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/

> �

> ________________________________

>

> Cosmologer <cosmologer

> samva

> Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39:53 PM

> Blog: FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

>

> Dear friends,

>

> I have penned another article, this time about a somewhat controversial topic,

but I hope you take it as a useful contribution for the sake of astrology.

>

> Sunday, May 24, 2009

> FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

> From time immemorial, astrology has evolved as the study of the influences of

planetary bodies on human life. Until the 18th century, astrology was focused on

the Sun and Moon and other visible planetary bodies moving across the sky. In

recent times, other more distant bodies, invisible to the naked human eye, have

been discovered in our solar system. These bodies have increasingly found their

way into the practice of astrology in the Western world based on the adoption of

metastories from Greek mythology mixed with insights from modern psychological

theories. This article offers a closer look at these bodies and implications for

astrological practice. The article is offered as an eye opener to those seeking

greater interpretative and predictive accuracy.

> �

> To read more:

> �

> Best wishes,

> �

> Thor

>

Guest guest

Dear Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the kind words.

Two things.

a. The correction for the precession of the equinoxes in the calculated tropical zodiac has resulted it losing its tie with the visible sidereal zodiac. While astronomers discovered the precession a long time ago, it was only in the 2-4 centuries AD that some astrologers began to calculate the tropical zodiac, Ptolemy included, while the vast number of them did not. However, when astrology was rediscovered in the West in the middle ages, this became the standard formulation. The reason for the precession adjustment is most likely to keep the sun tied to the vernal point in the sky - associated with farming practices in the Spring. In my humble oppion, from an astrological point of view it was a major historical mistake.

b. The Sun has now become the veritable 'fixed star' of Western astrology is just a turn of phrase. As you know the fixed stars are distant suns in the galaxy. These are visible and form the zodical signs. As Western astrology no longer follows these, it has place an overreliance on our own sun, making it the centerpiece of that form of astrology - both by adopting a moving zodiac due to the solar adjustment and focusing the interpretation on the sun without the real house logic. The other major mistake of the rediscovery of astrology in the middle ages in Europe is that knowledge of Horoscopic astrology of the Greeks and Romans was lost.

Philosopher, Alisdair McIntyre, in his book "After Virtue" once speculated what the outcome would be if our civilization collapsed and was forgotten for many centuries and then rediscovered based on some fragments of knowledge. What would the outcome be. He wasn't too convinced that the essence of the civilization would survive such a process. This I can is very comparable to what has happened with Western astrology. It is a creation based on bits of pieces of knowledge, out of context with its source. What we have is the original planetary influence, but stripped of their systemic interpretation. That said, we can reapproach the source through the closes living relative to ancient Greek and Roman astrology, Vedic astrology. More importantly, we have access to the knowledge of a modern master of this field, whose insights are transforming even Vedic astrology.

After years of some confusion, these thoughts have begun to crystallise and I wanted to share them if it was helpful for others.

Best wishes,

Thor

Mary Ellen Wright <wdmewrightSAMVA Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:11:47 PM Re: Quiet in hereDear Thor:Many thanks for the interesting articles you have written in the past regarding Western Astrology, its history and comparison with the Systems' Approach Vedic Astrology.I often have people who come to me for readings with only a limited background in Western Astrology and no knowledge of Vedic Astrology. So it is very helpful to study your research in this area.It's especially interesting that the fixed position of the Sun is taken to be so important in Western Astrology's tropical zodiac and yet the precession adjustment needed for accuracy has not been taken

into account.With appreciation for your knowledge and time with SAMVA,MewSAMVA , Cosmologer <cosmologer wrote:>> Dear friends,> > The list has become quiet of late. > > I have modified the wording here and there in my lastest blog, Far out astrology. > > The detour of Western astrology> It has not helped astrology, that its rebirth in the West in the late middle ages resulted in a major detour from its historical forerunners as explained in the article Roman astrology in the ascendant. The result�is that Western astrology is no longer a study of the mostly visible phenomena. As such, it has become removed from its intuitive and simple beginnings. Too often, one finds that rather than being rules-based Western astrology has evolved into a veritable

free for all. When it comes to chart interpretation, in general it can be said that Western astrologers feel free to point to different factors without sufficient logical consistency. This is quite different from the Systems' Approach of Vedic Astrology, which is both a comprehensive system and relies on a scientific approach to astrology. Below, we can see four features of Western astrology where it has taken a major detour from its historical origins.> > �> > > > 1. Wrong zodiac used: by correcting for the precession of the equinoxes, the calculated tropical zodiac has lost its original moorings with the visible sidereal zodiac. There is evidence ancient astrologers knew about the precession but did not use it to adjust the zodiac (Holden, 1996). Since the late middle ages Western astrology has been based on the tropical zodiac, which is moving with relation to the fixed stars such that

it is now 24� removed from the visible zodiac. > 2. Overemphasis on the Sun: the Sun has now become the veritable 'fixed star' of Western astrology. The starting point of the reading is the sun sign without relation to the house the sign Leo falls into. Moreover, many Westerners view themselves as being e.g. a "Sun in Leo", when they are in most cases with "Sun in Cancer" as per the visible zodiac. That said, in Vedic SA astrology Sun is recognised for its importance�and interpreted according to its functional nature. Moreover, when other planets are placed in Sun-Like Houses (2, 3 and 9) or the sign Leo, they are considered stronger. > 3. Ascendant logic lost: the practice of Horoscopic astrology has largely been lost in the West. Hellenic, Roman and Vedic astrology all place a primary emphasis on the Ascendant. People are considered Aries if they have this sign in the ascendant. In

Horoscopic astrology the focus in not on the sun-sign. Associated with this is the important logic that each house and its lord have a functional rulership, which is either positive or negative in the chart. > 4. Use of irrelevant bodies: the discovery of distant bodies invisible to the naked eye has resulted in these bodies being readily incorporated into the practice of Western astrology based on the assumption that differences in likely influences based on gravitational force or visibility do not matter. These bodies are given major import in chart interpretation. This is likely an error in assumption (Holden, 1996).> I also note�the following:> Disclaimer> The views expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as the views of the Systems' Approach or its creator.> http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/> �>

________________________________> > Cosmologer <cosmologer> samva > Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39:53 PM> Blog: FAR OUT ASTROLOGY> > Dear friends,> > I have penned another article, this time about a somewhat controversial topic, but I hope you take it as a useful contribution for the sake of astrology.> > Sunday, May 24, 2009> FAR OUT ASTROLOGY > From time immemorial, astrology has evolved as the study of the influences of planetary bodies on human life. Until the 18th century, astrology was focused on the Sun and Moon and other visible planetary bodies moving across the sky. In recent times, other more distant bodies, invisible to the naked human eye, have been discovered in our solar system. These bodies have increasingly found

their way into the practice of astrology in the Western world based on the adoption of metastories from Greek mythology mixed with insights from modern psychological theories. This article offers a closer look at these bodies and implications for astrological practice. The article is offered as an eye opener to those seeking greater interpretative and predictive accuracy.> �> To read more:> http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/> �> Best wishes,> �> Thor>---

Guest guest

Thanks for explaining that further Thor ... helps me to understand better the

correction for the precession and how that adjustment was used (and not used) in

Western Astrology along with its overreliance on the Sun.

Yes, thank goodness we are blessed with Professor VK Choudhry and his Systems'

Approach!

With best wishes,

Mary Ellen

SAMVA , Cosmologer <cosmologer wrote:

>

> Dear Mary Ellen,

>

> Thanks for the kind words.

>

> Two things.

>

> a. The correction for the precession of the equinoxes in the calculated

tropical zodiac has resulted it�losing its tie with the visible sidereal

zodiac. While astronomers discovered the precession a long time ago, it was only

in the 2-4 centuries AD that some astrologers began to calculate the tropical

zodiac, Ptolemy included, while the vast number of them did not. However, when

astrology was rediscovered in the West in the middle ages, this became the

standard formulation. The reason for the precession adjustment is most

likely�to keep the sun tied to the vernal point in the sky - associated with

farming practices in the Spring. In my humble oppion, from an astrological point

of view it was a major�historical mistake.

>

> b.�The Sun has now become the veritable 'fixed star' of Western astrology is

just a turn of phrase. As you know the fixed stars are distant suns in the

galaxy. These are visible and form the zodical signs. As Western astrology no

longer follows these, it has place an overreliance on our own sun, making it the

centerpiece of that form of astrology - both by adopting a moving zodiac due to

the solar adjustment and focusing the interpretation on the sun without the real

house logic. The other major mistake of the rediscovery of astrology in the

middle ages in Europe is that knowledge of Horoscopic astrology of the Greeks

and Romans was lost.

>

> Philosopher, Alisdair McIntyre, in his book " After Virtue " once speculated

what the outcome would be if our civilization collapsed and was forgotten for

many centuries and then rediscovered based on some fragments of

knowledge.�What would the outcome be.�He wasn't too convinced that the

essence of the civilization would survive such a process. This I can is very

comparable to what has happened with �Western astrology. It is a creation

based on bits of pieces of knowledge, out of context with its source.�What we

have is the original planetary influence, but stripped of their

systemic�interpretation. That said, we can reapproach the source through the

closes living relative to ancient Greek and Roman astrology, Vedic astrology.

More importantly, we have access to the knowledge of a modern master of this

field,�whose insights are transforming even Vedic astrology.�

>

> After years of some confusion, these thoughts have begun to crystallise and I

wanted to share them if it was helpful for others.

>

> Best wishes,

>

> Thor

>

>

>

>

> Mary Ellen Wright <wdmewright

> SAMVA

> Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:11:47 PM

> Re: Quiet in here

>

> Dear Thor:

>

> Many thanks for the interesting articles you have written in the past

regarding Western Astrology, its history and comparison with the Systems'

Approach Vedic Astrology.

>

> I often have people who come to me for readings with only a limited background

in Western Astrology and no knowledge of Vedic Astrology.� So it is very

helpful to study your research in this area.

>

> It's especially interesting that the fixed position of the Sun is taken to be

so important in Western Astrology's tropical zodiac and yet the precession

>

> With appreciation for your knowledge and time with SAMVA,

>

> Mew

>

> SAMVA , Cosmologer <cosmologer@> wrote:

> >

> > Dear friends,

> >

> > The list has become quiet of late.

> >

> > I have modified the wording here and there in my lastest blog, Far out

astrology.

> >

> > The detour of Western astrology

> > It has not helped astrology, that its rebirth in the West in the late middle

ages resulted in a major detour from its historical forerunners as explained in

the article Roman astrology in the ascendant. The result�is that Western

astrology is no longer a study of the mostly visible phenomena. As such, it has

become removed from its intuitive and simple beginnings. Too often, one finds

that rather than being rules-based Western astrology has evolved into a

veritable free for all. When it comes to chart interpretation, in general it can

be said that Western astrologers feel free to point to different factors without

sufficient logical consistency. This is quite different from the Systems'

Approach of Vedic Astrology, which is both a comprehensive system and relies on

a scientific approach to astrology. Below, we can see four features of Western

astrology where it has taken a major detour from its historical origins.

> >

> > �

> >

> >

> >

> > ��� 1. Wrong zodiac used: by correcting for the precession of the

equinoxes, the calculated tropical zodiac has lost its original moorings with

the visible sidereal zodiac. There is evidence ancient astrologers knew about

the precession but did not use it to adjust the zodiac (Holden, 1996). Since the

late middle ages Western astrology has been based on the tropical zodiac, which

is moving with relation to the fixed stars such that it is now 24� removed

from the visible zodiac.

> > ��� 2. Overemphasis on the Sun: the Sun has now become the veritable

'fixed star' of Western astrology. The starting point of the reading is the sun

sign without relation to the house the sign Leo falls into. Moreover, many

Westerners view themselves as being e.g. a " Sun in Leo " , when they are in most

cases with " Sun in Cancer " as per the visible zodiac. That said, in Vedic SA

astrology Sun is recognised for its importance�and interpreted according to

its functional nature. Moreover, when other planets are placed in Sun-Like

Houses (2, 3 and 9) or the sign Leo, they are considered stronger.

> > ��� 3. Ascendant logic lost: the practice of Horoscopic astrology has

largely been lost in the West. Hellenic, Roman and Vedic astrology all place a

primary emphasis on the Ascendant. People are considered Aries if they have this

sign in the ascendant. In Horoscopic astrology the focus in not on the sun-sign.

Associated with this is the important logic that each house and its lord have a

functional rulership, which is either positive or negative in the chart.

> > ��� 4. Use of irrelevant bodies: the discovery of distant bodies

invisible to the naked eye has resulted in these bodies being readily

incorporated into the practice of Western astrology based on the assumption that

differences in likely influences based on gravitational force or visibility do

not matter. These bodies are given major import in chart interpretation. This is

likely an error in assumption (Holden, 1996).

> > I also note�the following:

> > Disclaimer

> > The views expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as the

> > http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/

> > �

> > ________________________________

> >

> > Cosmologer <cosmologer@>

> > samva

> > Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39:53 PM

> > Blog: FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

> >

> > Dear friends,

> >

> > I have penned another article, this time about a somewhat controversial

topic, but I hope you take it as a useful contribution for the sake of

astrology.

> >

> > Sunday, May 24, 2009

> > FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

> > From time immemorial, astrology has evolved as the study of the influences

of planetary bodies on human life. Until the 18th century, astrology was focused

on the Sun and Moon and other visible planetary bodies moving across the sky. In

recent times, other more distant bodies, invisible to the naked human eye, have

been discovered in our solar system. These bodies have increasingly found their

way into the practice of astrology in the Western world based on the adoption of

metastories from Greek mythology mixed with insights from modern psychological

theories. This article offers a closer look at these bodies and implications for

astrological practice. The article is offered as an eye opener to those seeking

greater interpretative and predictive accuracy.

> > �

> > To read more:

> > �

> > Best wishes,

> > �

> > Thor

> >

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

>

Guest guest

Dear Thor:

I finally had a chance to read your article… and once again I

find your work brilliant, helpful, and insightful.

Thank you for all that you do for us SAMVA members, and for

honoring our dear through your work and sharing ethic.

Best wishes,

David Hawthorne

SAMVA [sAMVA ] On

Behalf Of Cosmologer

Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:46 AM

SAMVA

Re: Re: Quiet in here

Dear Mary Ellen,

Thanks for the kind words.

Two things.

a. The correction for the precession of

the equinoxes in the calculated tropical zodiac has resulted it losing its

tie with the visible sidereal zodiac. While astronomers discovered the

precession a long time ago, it was only in the 2-4 centuries AD that some

astrologers began to calculate the tropical zodiac, Ptolemy included, while the

vast number of them did not. However, when astrology was rediscovered in the

West in the middle ages, this became the standard formulation. The reason for

the precession adjustment is most likely to keep the sun tied to the vernal

point in the sky - associated with farming practices in the Spring. In my

humble oppion, from an astrological point of view it was a

major historical mistake.

b. The Sun has now become the veritable

'fixed star' of Western astrology is just a turn of phrase. As you know the

fixed stars are distant suns in the galaxy. These are visible and form the

zodical signs. As Western astrology no longer follows these, it has place an

overreliance on our own sun, making it the centerpiece of that form of astrology

- both by adopting a moving zodiac due to the solar adjustment and focusing the

interpretation on the sun without the real house logic. The other major mistake

of the rediscovery of astrology in the middle ages in Europe is that knowledge

of Horoscopic astrology of the Greeks and Romans was lost.

Philosopher, Alisdair McIntyre, in

his book " After Virtue " once speculated what the outcome would be if

our civilization collapsed and was forgotten for many centuries and then

rediscovered based on some fragments of knowledge. What would the outcome

be. He wasn't too convinced that the essence of the civilization would

survive such a process. This I can is very comparable to what has happened with

Western astrology. It is a creation based on bits of pieces of knowledge,

out of context with its source. What we have is the original planetary

influence, but stripped of their systemic interpretation. That said, we

can reapproach the source through the closes living relative to ancient Greek

and Roman astrology, Vedic astrology. More importantly, we have access to the

knowledge of a modern master of this field, whose insights are

transforming even Vedic astrology.

After years of some confusion, these

thoughts have begun to crystallise and I wanted to share them if it was helpful

for others.

Best wishes,

Thor

Mary Ellen Wright <wdmewright

SAMVA

Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:11:47 PM

Re: Quiet in here

Dear Thor:

Many thanks for the interesting articles you have written in the past regarding

Western Astrology, its history and comparison with the Systems' Approach Vedic

Astrology.

I often have people who come to me for readings with only a limited background

in Western Astrology and no knowledge of Vedic Astrology. So it is very

helpful to study your research in this area.

It's especially interesting that the fixed position of the Sun is taken to be

so important in Western Astrology's tropical zodiac and yet the precession

With appreciation for your knowledge and time with SAMVA,

Mew

SAMVA ,

Cosmologer <cosmologer wrote:

>

> Dear friends,

>

> The list has become quiet of late.

>

> I have modified the wording here and there in my lastest blog, Far out

astrology.

>

> The detour of Western astrology

> It has not helped astrology, that its rebirth in the West in the late

middle ages resulted in a major detour from its historical forerunners as

explained in the article Roman astrology in the ascendant. The result�is that

Western astrology is no longer a study of the mostly visible phenomena. As

such, it has become removed from its intuitive and simple beginnings. Too

often, one finds that rather than being rules-based Western astrology has

evolved into a veritable free for all. When it comes to chart interpretation,

in general it can be said that Western astrologers feel free to point to

different factors without sufficient logical consistency. This is quite

different from the Systems' Approach of Vedic Astrology, which is both a

comprehensive system and relies on a scientific approach to astrology. Below,

we can see four features of Western astrology where it has taken a major detour

from its historical origins.

>

> �

>

>

>

> 1. Wrong zodiac used: by correcting for the precession

of the equinoxes, the calculated tropical zodiac has lost its original moorings

with the visible sidereal zodiac. There is evidence ancient astrologers knew

about the precession but did not use it to adjust the zodiac (Holden, 1996).

Since the late middle ages Western astrology has been based on the tropical

zodiac, which is moving with relation to the fixed stars such that it is now

24� removed from the visible zodiac.

> 2. Overemphasis on the Sun: the Sun has now become the

veritable 'fixed star' of Western astrology. The starting point of the reading

is the sun sign without relation to the house the sign Leo falls into.

Moreover, many Westerners view themselves as being e.g. a " Sun in

Leo " , when they are in most cases with " Sun in Cancer " as per

the visible zodiac. That said, in Vedic SA astrology Sun is recognised for its

importance�and interpreted according to its functional nature. Moreover, when

other planets are placed in Sun-Like Houses (2, 3 and 9) or the sign Leo, they

are considered stronger.

> 3. Ascendant logic lost: the practice of Horoscopic

astrology has largely been lost in the West. Hellenic, Roman and Vedic

astrology all place a primary emphasis on the Ascendant. People are considered

Aries if they have this sign in the ascendant. In Horoscopic astrology the

focus in not on the sun-sign. Associated with this is the important logic that

each house and its lord have a functional rulership, which is either positive

or negative in the chart.

> 4. Use of irrelevant bodies: the discovery of distant

bodies invisible to the naked eye has resulted in these bodies being readily

incorporated into the practice of Western astrology based on the assumption

that differences in likely influences based on gravitational force or

visibility do not matter. These bodies are given major import in chart

interpretation. This is likely an error in assumption (Holden, 1996).

> I also note�the following:

> Disclaimer

> The views expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as the

> �

>

> Cosmologer <cosmologer

> samva

> Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39:53 PM

> Blog: FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

>

> Dear friends,

>

> I have penned another article, this time about a somewhat controversial

topic, but I hope you take it as a useful contribution for the sake of

astrology.

>

> Sunday, May 24, 2009

> FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

> From time immemorial, astrology has evolved as the study of the influences

of planetary bodies on human life. Until the 18th century, astrology was

focused on the Sun and Moon and other visible planetary bodies moving across

the sky. In recent times, other more distant bodies, invisible to the naked

human eye, have been discovered in our solar system. These bodies have

increasingly found their way into the practice of astrology in the Western

world based on the adoption of metastories from Greek mythology mixed with

insights from modern psychological theories. This article offers a closer look

at these bodies and implications for astrological practice. The article is

offered as an eye opener to those seeking greater interpretative and predictive

accuracy.

> �

> To read more:

> �

> Best wishes,

> �

> Thor

>

---

Guest guest

Dear David,

Thank you for the kind words. The best reward is when others find the

information of use. Indeed, is leading the way with not only

his magnificent contribution to the science of astrology but also his enromous

generosity to share his work and help others understand it so freely.

Best wishes,

Thor

SAMVA , " David Hawthorne " <david wrote:

>

> Dear Thor:

>

> I finally had a chance to read your article… and once again I find your work

> brilliant, helpful, and insightful.

>

> Thank you for all that you do for us SAMVA members, and for honoring our

> dear through your work and sharing ethic.

>

> Best wishes,

>

> David Hawthorne

>

> SAMVA [sAMVA ] On Behalf Of

> Cosmologer

> Thursday, May 28, 2009 8:46 AM

> SAMVA

> Re: Re: Quiet in here

>

>

>

>

>

> Dear Mary Ellen,

>

> Thanks for the kind words.

>

> Two things.

>

> a. The correction for the precession of the equinoxes in the calculated

> tropical zodiac has resulted it losing its tie with the visible sidereal

> zodiac. While astronomers discovered the precession a long time ago, it was

> only in the 2-4 centuries AD that some astrologers began to calculate the

> tropical zodiac, Ptolemy included, while the vast number of them did not.

> However, when astrology was rediscovered in the West in the middle ages,

> this became the standard formulation. The reason for the precession

> adjustment is most likely to keep the sun tied to the vernal point in the

> sky - associated with farming practices in the Spring. In my humble oppion,

> from an astrological point of view it was a major historical mistake.

>

> b. The Sun has now become the veritable 'fixed star' of Western astrology is

> just a turn of phrase. As you know the fixed stars are distant suns in the

> galaxy. These are visible and form the zodical signs. As Western astrology

> no longer follows these, it has place an overreliance on our own sun, making

> it the centerpiece of that form of astrology - both by adopting a moving

> zodiac due to the solar adjustment and focusing the interpretation on the

> sun without the real house logic. The other major mistake of the rediscovery

> of astrology in the middle ages in Europe is that knowledge of Horoscopic

> astrology of the Greeks and Romans was lost.

>

> Philosopher, Alisdair McIntyre, in his book " After Virtue " once speculated

> what the outcome would be if our civilization collapsed and was forgotten

> for many centuries and then rediscovered based on some fragments of

> knowledge. What would the outcome be. He wasn't too convinced that the

> essence of the civilization would survive such a process. This I can is very

> comparable to what has happened with Western astrology. It is a creation

> based on bits of pieces of knowledge, out of context with its source. What

> we have is the original planetary influence, but stripped of their systemic

> interpretation. That said, we can reapproach the source through the closes

> living relative to ancient Greek and Roman astrology, Vedic astrology. More

> importantly, we have access to the knowledge of a modern master of this

> field, whose insights are transforming even Vedic astrology.

>

> After years of some confusion, these thoughts have begun to crystallise and

> I wanted to share them if it was helpful for others.

>

> Best wishes,

>

> Thor

>

> _____

>

> Mary Ellen Wright <wdmewright

> SAMVA

> Thursday, May 28, 2009 1:11:47 PM

> Re: Quiet in here

>

> Dear Thor:

>

> Many thanks for the interesting articles you have written in the past

> regarding Western Astrology, its history and comparison with the Systems'

> Approach Vedic Astrology.

>

> I often have people who come to me for readings with only a limited

> background in Western Astrology and no knowledge of Vedic Astrology. So it

> is very helpful to study your research in this area.

>

> It's especially interesting that the fixed position of the Sun is taken to

> be so important in Western Astrology's tropical zodiac and yet the

> precession adjustment needed for accuracy has not been taken into account.

>

> With appreciation for your knowledge and time with SAMVA,

>

> Mew

>

> SAMVA , Cosmologer <cosmologer@> wrote:

> >

> > Dear friends,

> >

> > The list has become quiet of late.

> >

> > I have modified the wording here and there in my lastest blog, Far out

> astrology.

> >

> > The detour of Western astrology

> > It has not helped astrology, that its rebirth in the West in the late

> middle ages resulted in a major detour from its historical forerunners as

> explained in the article Roman astrology in the ascendant. The result�is

> that Western astrology is no longer a study of the mostly visible phenomena.

> As such, it has become removed from its intuitive and simple beginnings. Too

> often, one finds that rather than being rules-based Western astrology has

> evolved into a veritable free for all. When it comes to chart

> interpretation, in general it can be said that Western astrologers feel free

> to point to different factors without sufficient logical consistency. This

> is quite different from the Systems' Approach of Vedic Astrology, which is

> both a comprehensive system and relies on a scientific approach to

> astrology. Below, we can see four features of Western astrology where it has

> taken a major detour from its historical origins.

> >

> > �

> >

> >

> >

> > 1. Wrong zodiac used: by correcting for the precession of the

> equinoxes, the calculated tropical zodiac has lost its original moorings

> with the visible sidereal zodiac. There is evidence ancient astrologers knew

> about the precession but did not use it to adjust the zodiac (Holden, 1996).

> Since the late middle ages Western astrology has been based on the tropical

> zodiac, which is moving with relation to the fixed stars such that it is now

> 24� removed from the visible zodiac.

> > 2. Overemphasis on the Sun: the Sun has now become the veritable

> 'fixed star' of Western astrology. The starting point of the reading is the

> sun sign without relation to the house the sign Leo falls into. Moreover,

> many Westerners view themselves as being e.g. a " Sun in Leo " , when they are

> in most cases with " Sun in Cancer " as per the visible zodiac. That said, in

> Vedic SA astrology Sun is recognised for its importance�and interpreted

> according to its functional nature. Moreover, when other planets are placed

> in Sun-Like Houses (2, 3 and 9) or the sign Leo, they are considered

> stronger.

> > 3. Ascendant logic lost: the practice of Horoscopic astrology has

> largely been lost in the West. Hellenic, Roman and Vedic astrology all place

> a primary emphasis on the Ascendant. People are considered Aries if they

> have this sign in the ascendant. In Horoscopic astrology the focus in not on

> the sun-sign. Associated with this is the important logic that each house

> and its lord have a functional rulership, which is either positive or

> negative in the chart.

> > 4. Use of irrelevant bodies: the discovery of distant bodies invisible

> to the naked eye has resulted in these bodies being readily incorporated

> into the practice of Western astrology based on the assumption that

> differences in likely influences based on gravitational force or visibility

> do not matter. These bodies are given major import in chart interpretation.

> This is likely an error in assumption (Holden, 1996).

> > I also note�the following:

> > Disclaimer

> > The views expressed are those of the author and should not be taken as the

> views of the Systems' Approach or its creator.

> > �

> > ________________________________

> >

> > Cosmologer <cosmologer@>

> > samva

> > Sunday, May 24, 2009 5:39:53 PM

> > Blog: FAR OUT ASTROLOGY

> >

> > Dear friends,

> >

> > I have penned another article, this time about a somewhat controversial