IndiaDivine.org

Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello dear list members,

I have written the following article. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has,

however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

To read more:

http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/

Thor

Hello my dear Thor, All ancient knowledge needs changes for the present era. Tracing history is one thing but finding validity is more important.

-

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:03 PM

Re: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

I have slightly modified the text here and there for greater accuracy or clarity. I have also added some further information to the article.

In sum,- an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture- the historical setting has to be examined- knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete- oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times- the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through Indian court-astrologers- the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through meditation and true assessment- the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India. - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.ConclusionWhile there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form. Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well "what is really important is the development of the practitioner's efficiency in this day and age." This is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologer >samva Sent: Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

To read more:

Thor

Hello my dear VK,

With your permission, may these be the final words in the article?

Thor

SIHA <vkchoudhrySAMVA Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 2:49:39 AMRe: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello my dear Thor, All ancient knowledge needs changes for the present era. Tracing history is one thing but finding validity is more important.

-

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Hello dear list members,

I have slightly modified the text here and there for greater accuracy or clarity. I have also added some further information to the article.

In sum,- an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture- the historical setting has to be examined- knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete- oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times- the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through Indian court-astrologers- the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through meditation and true assessment- the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely

the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India. - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.ConclusionWhile there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the

horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form. Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well "what is really important is the development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this day and age." This is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologer >samva Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this

story, which this article explores.

To read more:

http://cosmologer. blogspot. com/

Thor

Hello dear list members,

I think the article is now in its final form. Several additions and improvements have been made to it, given also feedback from interested list members. Thanks.

Greco-Indian astrology (October 10, 2009)

http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/2009/10/greco-indian-astrology.html

As a background information, let me add that I felt it important to react to the conclusion of some Western astrologers that horoscopic astrology was invented by the Greeks and transmitted to India. The conclusion seemed to contradict a lot of what I knew from history and to be based on too narrow a set of information. I have in several earlier articles used the opportunity to perform research and write to deepen my own knowledge of the issues and share with the list members. This article rounds out and ties together that effort. I hope you have found this inquiry helpful, as I have, to broaden the understanding of the origins, dissemination and evolution of the divine knowledge of astrology.

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologerSAMVA Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 6:38:08 AMRe: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello my dear VK,

Thor

SIHA <vkchoudhrySAMVA Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 2:49:39 AMRe: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

-

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Hello dear list members,

In sum,- an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture- the historical setting has to be examined- knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete- oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times- the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through Indian court-astrologers- the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through meditation and true assessment- the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely

the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India. - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.ConclusionWhile there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the

horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form. Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well "what is really important is the development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this day and age." This is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologer >samva Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this

story, which this article explores.

To read more:

Thor

Hello my dear Thor, OK. You can add these to the article.

-

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Monday, October 12, 2009 12:08 PM

Hello my dear VK,

Thor

SIHA <vkchoudhry >SAMVA Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 2:49:39 AMRe: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

-

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Hello dear list members,

In sum,- an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture- the historical setting has to be examined- knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete- oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times- the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through Indian court-astrologers- the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through meditation and true assessment- the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India. - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.ConclusionWhile there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form. Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well "what is really important is the development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this day and age." This is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.Thor

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

To read more:

Thor

You`ll find the articles on Zi Wei(chinese astrology) in this site interesting, where the researcher claims that Chinese astrology may have its origins in Vedic systemswww.guiculture.com

PJ

SAMVA , "SIHA" <vkchoudhry wrote:>> > Hello my dear Thor,> > OK. You can add these to the article.> > > > - > Cosmologer > SAMVA > Monday, October 12, 2009 12:08 PM> Re: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology> > > > Hello my dear VK,> > With your permission, may these be the final words in the article?> > Thor> > > > > > SIHA vkchoudhry SAMVA > Mon, October 12, 2009 2:49:39 AM> Re: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology> > > > > Hello my dear Thor,> > All ancient knowledge needs changes for the present era. Tracing history is one thing but finding validity is more important.> > > > - > Cosmologer > SAMVA > Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:03 PM> Re: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology> > > > > Hello dear list members,> > > I have slightly modified the text here and there for greater accuracy or clarity. I have also added some further information to the article.> > In sum,> - an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture> - the historical setting has to be examined> - knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete> - oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times> - the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through Indian court-astrologers> - the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through meditation and true assessment> - the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India. > - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.> > Conclusion> While there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form. Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well "what is really important is the development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this day and age." This is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.> > Thor> > > > > ----------> Cosmologer cosmologer >> samva > Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM> Blog: Greco-Indian astrology> > > > > Hello dear list members,> > I have written the following article. Enjoy!> > Saturday, October 10, 2009> Greco-Indian astrology > Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story, which this article explores. > To read more:> http://cosmologer. blogspot. com/> > Thor>

Dear Thor…

Thank you for all of your work on this article.

As always, your posts are brilliant!

Thank you.

David Hawthorne

SAMVA [sAMVA ] On

Behalf Of Cosmologer

Monday, October 12, 2009 7:34 AM

SAMVA

Hello dear list members,

I think the article is now in

its final form. Several additions and improvements have been made to it,

given also feedback from interested list members. Thanks.

Greco-Indian

astrology (October 10, 2009)

As a background information, let me

add that I felt it important to react to the conclusion of some Western

astrologers that horoscopic astrology was invented by the Greeks and transmitted

to India. The conclusion seemed to contradict a lot of what I knew

from history and to be based on too narrow a set of information. I

have in several earlier articles used the opportunity to

perform research and write to deepen my own knowledge of the issues and

share with the list members. This article rounds out and ties

together that effort. I hope you have found this inquiry helpful, as

I have, to broaden the understanding of the origins, dissemination and

evolution of the divine knowledge of astrology.

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologer

SAMVA

Mon, October 12, 2009 6:38:08 AM

Hello my dear VK,

With your permission, may these be

the final words in the article?

Thor

SIHA <vkchoudhry

SAMVA

Mon, October 12, 2009 2:49:39 AM

Hello my dear Thor,

All ancient knowledge needs changes for the present era. Tracing history is one

thing but finding validity is more important.

-----

Original Message -----

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Hello dear list members,

I have slightly modified the text

here and there for greater accuracy or clarity. I have also added some further

information to the article.

In sum,

- an examination of

the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving

a comprehensive picture

- the historical setting has to be examined

- knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete

- oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was

propagated in India in ancient times

- the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through

Indian court-astrologers

- the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through

meditation and true assessment

- the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the

horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely the

single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India.

- despite being

continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge

depreciated steadily in the West.

Conclusion

While there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late

Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman

times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic

astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their

astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It

is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the

Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After

mastering the horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to

modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming

system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have

been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form.

Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian

astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of

Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform

research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to settle this matter once

and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well " what is

really important is the development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this

day and age. " This is the chief concern of those applying the System's

Approach.

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologer >

samva

Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM

Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list

members,

I have written the

following article. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 10,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western

astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians.

They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of

antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the

same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed

astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the

literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story,

which this article explores.

To read more:

http://cosmologer.

blogspot. com/

Thor

Hello PJ

Yes, it is interesting. Thanks.

http://www.guiculture.com/fs08asindwestchin.htm

Thor

SAMVA , " ziping777 " <ziping777 wrote:

>

>

>

> You`ll find the articles on Zi Wei(chinese astrology) in this site

> interesting, where the researcher claims that Chinese astrology may have

> its origins in Vedic systems

> www.guiculture.com <http://www.guiculture.com>

>

> PJ

>

>

> SAMVA , " SIHA " <vkchoudhry@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Hello my dear Thor,

> >

> > OK. You can add these to the article.

> >

> >

> >

> > -

> > Cosmologer

> > SAMVA

> > Monday, October 12, 2009 12:08 PM

> > Re: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello my dear VK,

> >

> > With your permission, may these be the final words in the article?

> >

> > Thor

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> ------\

> ------

> > SIHA vkchoudhry@

> > SAMVA

> > Mon, October 12, 2009 2:49:39 AM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello my dear Thor,

> >

> > All ancient knowledge needs changes for the present era. Tracing

> history is one thing but finding validity is more important.

> >

> >

> >

> > -

> > Cosmologer

> > SAMVA

> > Sunday, October 11, 2009 3:03 PM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello dear list members,

> >

> >

> > I have slightly modified the text here and there for greater accuracy

> or clarity. I have also added some further information to the article.

> >

> > In sum,

> > - an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic

> literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture

> > - the historical setting has to be examined

> > - knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete

> > - oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this

> knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times

> > - the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been

> through Indian court-astrologers

> > - the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper

> knowledge, through meditation and true assessment

> > - the fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the

> horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely

> the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India.

> > - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique,

> the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.

> >

> > Conclusion

> > While there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the

> late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to

> India in Roman times, this is far from sufficient proof of the origins

> of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers

> likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to

> disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission

> of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps

> through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the horoscopic

> astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance

> it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new

> horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been

> transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form.

> Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by

> Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental

> contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is

> ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other

> sources to settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my

> friend Rémi stated so well " what is really important is the

> development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this day and age. " This

> is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.

> >

> > Thor

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> ------\

> ----

> > Cosmologer cosmologer >

> > samva

> > Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM

> > Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello dear list members,

> >

> > I have written the following article. Enjoy!

> >

> > Saturday, October 10, 2009

> > Greco-Indian astrology

> > Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its

> origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They

> also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of

> antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world.

> At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world

> informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an

> interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has,

> however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

> > To read more:

> > http://cosmologer. blogspot. com/

> >

> > Thor

> >

>

Dear David,

Thank you for the kind words, which I value and appreciate. You are most welcome.

Thor

David Hawthorne <davidSAMVA Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 5:30:24 PMRE: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Dear Thor…

Thank you for all of your work on this article.

As always, your posts are brilliant!

Thank you.

David Hawthorne

SAMVA [sAMVA ] On Behalf Of CosmologerMonday, October 12, 2009 7:34 AMSAMVA Subject: Re: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

I think the article is now in its final form. Several additions and improvements have been made to it, given also feedback from interested list members. Thanks.

Greco-Indian astrology (October 10, 2009)

As a background information, let me add that I felt it important to react to the conclusion of some Western astrologers that horoscopic astrology was invented by the Greeks and transmitted to India. The conclusion seemed to contradict a lot of what I knew from history and to be based on too narrow a set of information. I have in several earlier articles used the opportunity to perform research and write to deepen my own knowledge of the issues and share with the list members. This article rounds out and ties together that effort. I hope you have found this inquiry helpful, as I have, to broaden the understanding of the origins, dissemination and evolution of the divine knowledge of astrology.

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologerSAMVA Sent: Mon, October 12, 2009 6:38:08 AMRe: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello my dear VK,

Thor

-

Cosmologer

SAMVA

Hello dear list members,

In sum,- an examination of the Babyloninan, Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Arabic literal record is not giving a comprehensive picture- the historical setting has to be examined- knowledge of Indian texts (in Sanskrit) is still incomplete- oral transmission intra-familia was likely the way that this knowledge was propagated in India in ancient times- the spread to the West after the invasion by Alexander may have been through Indian court-astrologers- the trantric civilization opened up human beings to deeper knowledge, through meditation and true assessment- the

fidelity of Indian astrologers with the Ayanamsa correction, the horoscope format and horoscopic astrology in its original form is likely the single greatest clue about the source of this knowledge being India. - despite being continuously modified through astronomy and technique, the divine knowledge depreciated steadily in the West.ConclusionWhile there is literary evidence of works of Greek astrologers in the late Hellenic age, including the transportation of one such book to India in Roman times,

this is far from sufficient proof of the origins of horoscopic astrology. Given the caste system, Indian astrologers likely passed down their astrology knowledge intra-familia, avoiding to disseminate it in book form. It is more likely that an oral transmission of Vedic astrology knowledge to the Hellenic world took place, perhaps through Indian court astrologers. After mastering the horoscopic astrology system, the Greek astrologers set about to modify and enhance it with a number of astronomical innovations, a new naming system, a new horoscope format and likely some novel insights. It would have been transcribed by the Greeks and re-exported to India in that form. Understandably, it would have been recognised as a novel contribution by Indian astrologers of that age. Nevertheless, given the monumental contribution of Indian civilization to philosophy and science, it is ahead of us to perform research into the sanskrit texts and other sources to

settle this matter once and for all. More importantly, as my friend Rémi stated so well "what is really important is the development of the practitioner' s efficiency in this day and age." This is the chief concern of those applying the System's Approach.Thor

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in

India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record. One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

To read more:

Thor

Hello dear list members,

To give a little bit more flavour of actual astrology in this blog, I've added two diagrams. This is intended for those with hardly any knowledge of Vedic astrology or SA.

Vedic astrologyIn India, the birth chart is known as a Kundli or Rasi chart, while the rising sign is called the Lagna. The term for astrology is Jyotisha, meaning the ‘science of light’. The astrology of India is alternately called Indian astrology, Hindu astrology or Vedic astrology. The term Indian reflects the geographic location of the astrology. The term Hindu represents the modern cultural expression of the astrology. Meanwhile, Vedic reflects

the ancient tantric philosophy of this type of astrology. In the Vedas, astrology was considered the sixth limb of enlightenment knowledge. The cosmology of the Vedas is arguably the most important ingredient of astrology, including the 'law of karma'. In fact, the planets, grahas, represent the accumulated karma of the soul, to be expressed in the life, but giving scope for the expression of our 'free will'. Hence, the term Vedic astrology is preferred. Vedic astrology is still practiced today, much like it was many thousands of years ago. It is the modern system of horoscopic astrology closest to that practiced in the Hellenic world.Houses and their meaningA crucial ingredient of horoscopic astrology is the concept of houses. The logic of houses is critically tied to the ascendant. While the meaning of signs and planets is well established, the role of houses is important to show the areas of life where the

influences of the planets and signs manifest. The rising sign is considered to be the first and most important house as it represents the person. The others houses, which represent key areas of the life, are counted from the sign falling in the first house. The houses have been identified to have the following meaning.First house represents the self in this life, e.g. personality, physical attributes, fame, well being, etc.Second house represents the resources at the disposal of the person, e.g. family, wealth, status, etcThird house represents the efforts of the person, e.g. younger siblings, actions, speech, courage, etc.Fourth house represents the interests in the life, e.g., mother, education, inner harmony, home, etc.Fifth house represents the creativity in the life, e.g. children, romance, speculation, trading, etc.Sixth house represents the opposition in life, e.g. fixity of views, enemies, debts, health, conflict, etc.Seventh house represents the partner in life, e.g. husband/wife, foreign trips, leisure,

etc.Eight house represents endings in life, e.g. obstacles, death, inheritance, fathers income, beliefs, etc.Ninth house represents support in life, e.g. father, guidance, higher thought, fortune, luck, new or foreign things, etc.Tenth house represents the career of the person, e.g. profession, public activities, fame, etc.Eleventh house represents the goals of the person, e.g. elder brother, friends, plans, hopes, ideals, income, etc.Twelfth house represents separation in the life, e.g. grand father, losses, far away places, imprisonment, etc. Systems' ApproachThe logic of house rulerships by the planets is also unique for each ascendant and this is

the essence of the Systems' Approach (SA) to vedic astrology. The planet 'ruling' a Moolatrikona (MT) sign becomes a functional ruler of the house that the MT sign falls into. In addition to its general nature, the planet carries with it, more importantly, a functional nature of the particular house its MT sign falls in. The other sign a planet may 'own' and the house it falls in becomes less important for the overall horoscopic interpretation. That said, whatever house a planet resides in, its functional and general indications get expressed in that area of the life.Importantly, the dynamic changes for each ascendant. Those with the sign Aries rising are expected to approach life differently than those with say the sign Virgo rising. Mars becomes 1st lord for Aries while Mercury becomes 1st lord for Virgo. By comparison Mars becomes 6th lord for Scorpio ascendants and Mercury becomes 4th lord for Gemini's and this means the

planets take on a different functional meaning for these ascendants. There are many more considerations for a horoscopic reading based on SA vedic astrology, but this gives some sense of the logic.http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/2009/10/greco-indian-astrology.html

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologersamva Sent: Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record.

One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

To read more:

Thor

Hello dear and list members,

I've further added (in bold):

The planet 'ruling' a Moolatrikona (MT) sign becomes a functional ruler of the house that the MT sign falls into. The term 'moola' means root and 'trikona' means trine. The term may be considered to mean the 'source of influence'. In addition to its general nature, the planet carries with it, more importantly, a functional nature of the particular house its MT sign falls in.

What do you think?

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologerSAMVA Sent: Wed, October 14, 2009 8:50:03 AMRe: Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

To give a little bit more flavour of actual astrology in this blog, I've added two diagrams. This is intended for those with hardly any knowledge of Vedic astrology or SA.

Vedic astrologyIn India, the birth chart is known as a Kundli or Rasi chart, while the rising sign is called the Lagna. The term for astrology is Jyotisha, meaning the ‘science of light’. The astrology of India is alternately called Indian astrology, Hindu astrology or Vedic astrology. The term Indian reflects the geographic location of the astrology. The term Hindu represents the modern cultural expression of the astrology.

Meanwhile, Vedic reflects the ancient tantric philosophy of this type of astrology. In the Vedas, astrology was considered the sixth limb of enlightenment knowledge. The cosmology of the Vedas is arguably the most important ingredient of astrology, including the 'law of karma'. In fact, the planets, grahas, represent the accumulated karma of the soul, to be expressed in the life, but giving scope for the expression of our 'free will'. Hence, the term Vedic astrology is preferred. Vedic astrology is still practiced today, much like it was many thousands of years ago. It is the modern system of horoscopic astrology closest to that practiced in the Hellenic world.Houses and their meaningA crucial ingredient of horoscopic astrology is the concept of houses. The logic of houses is critically tied to the ascendant. While the meaning of signs and planets is well established, the role of houses is important to show the

areas of life where the influences of the planets and signs manifest. The rising sign is considered to be the first and most important house as it represents the person. The others houses, which represent key areas of the life, are counted from the sign falling in the first house. The houses have been identified to have the following meaning.First house represents the self in this life, e.g. personality, physical attributes, fame, well being, etc.Second house represents the resources at the disposal of the person, e.g. family, wealth, status, etcThird house represents the

efforts of the person, e.g. younger siblings, actions, speech, courage, etc.Fourth house represents the interests in the life, e.g., mother, education, inner harmony, home, etc.Fifth house represents the creativity in the life, e.g. children, romance, speculation, trading, etc.Sixth house represents the opposition in life, e.g. fixity of views, enemies, debts, health, conflict, etc.Seventh house represents the partner in life, e.g. husband/wife, foreign

trips, leisure, etc.Eight house represents endings in life, e.g. obstacles, death, inheritance, fathers income, beliefs, etc.Ninth house represents support in life, e.g. father, guidance, higher thought, fortune, luck, new or foreign things, etc.Tenth house represents the career of the person, e.g. profession, public activities, fame, etc.Eleventh house represents the goals of the person, e.g. elder brother, friends, plans, hopes, ideals, income, etc.Twelfth house

represents separation in the life, e.g. grand father, losses, far away places, imprisonment, etc. Systems' ApproachThe logic of

house rulerships by the planets is also unique for each ascendant and this is the essence of the Systems' Approach (SA) to vedic astrology. The planet 'ruling' a Moolatrikona (MT) sign becomes a functional ruler of the house that the MT sign falls into. In addition to its general nature, the planet carries with it, more importantly, a functional nature of the particular house its MT sign falls in. The other sign a planet may 'own' and the house it falls in becomes less important for the overall horoscopic interpretation. That said, whatever house a planet resides in, its functional and general indications get expressed in that area of the life.Importantly, the dynamic changes for each ascendant. Those with the sign Aries rising are expected to approach life differently than those with say the sign Virgo rising. Mars becomes 1st lord for Aries while Mercury becomes 1st lord for Virgo. By comparison Mars becomes 6th lord for

Scorpio ascendants and Mercury becomes 4th lord for Gemini's and this means the planets take on a different functional meaning for these ascendants. There are many more considerations for a horoscopic reading based on SA vedic astrology, but this gives some sense of the logic.http://cosmologer.blogspot.com/2009/10/greco-indian-astrology.html

Thor

Cosmologer <cosmologersamva Sent: Sat, October 10, 2009 1:33:43 PM Blog: Greco-Indian astrology

Hello dear list members,

Greco-Indian astrology

Many Western astrologers assume modern Western astrology owes its origins to the discovery of astrology by the ancient Babylonians. They also consider that astrology was further developed by the Egyptians of antiquity before reaching its penultimate stage in the Hellenic world. At the same time, they consider that the astrology of the Hellenic world informed astrology in India. The evidence is strictly based on an interpretation of the literary record.

One important anomaly has, however, emerged in this story, which this article explores.

To read more:

Thor