IndiaDivine.org

SJC East Coast Conference 2003 - Moved to Edison NJ/Q?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Varahamira's,

Just a short message- my Internet provider is sick.

I have no doubt about Sanjay's devotion and knowledge of Jyotish- but no matter how much sacrifices he's made, he cannot do everything.

It's quite clear that only serious students will attend meetings and be interested in SJC 'health' in general- how many of them we see here, and why are they often discouraged and 'asked' to leave SJC, one way or another?- Whose judgment on how many serious students are here has failed, again? Do we know what 'market research' is all about? 'Nominal number' of 'students' doesn't matter, if majority of them are either 'free reading hunters' or 'hobbyist, who hardly ever contribute anything for the benefit of all. Why SJC has changed so much after the initial first year? What's happening with SJC 'inner circle'? What kind of students SJC wants to attract? What do Sanjays 'advisors' do to make SJC stronger? These are questions that IMHO has to be answered ASAP.

SJC has unique resources, wealth of knowledge, Sanjay's serious commitment- management of resources /human, especially/ has to be obligation for more than one person in SJC. / IMHO should I say?/

SJC needs reality check not disappointment.

I am positive that SJC is and will be much stronger and will use what seems to be small setback for it's unobstructed growth.

Best wishes to SJC, Sanjay, Brendan, and all,

Anna

-

Bpfeeley

vyasa ; parasari_jyotish ; Achyuta ; achyuta ; varahamihira

Tuesday, August 12, 2003 12:47 PM

|Sri Varaha| SJC East Coast Conference 2003 - Moved to Edison NJ

Jaya JagannathaDear Fellow Students,As Narayana pointed out, we decided to move the conference to New Jersey. Otherwise we would have had to cancel the event alltoghter and we didn't want to do that.I'm sorry if this has caused any inconvenience to you and I want to encourage you to attend the event in NJ. Many people from that area, NY and NJ, did not want to come to DC and many people in DC apparently did not want to come to DC either. I was both surprised and saddened that only 4 people had registered for the conference at the Shiva Vishnu Temple here in Maryland. I've had 20 - 40 people attend my lectures at the Temple but many were not serious about Jyotish and just wanted to come a view the lake. This is a more serious event and the spiritual path and the study of Jyotish requires that we jump into the lake and stay there until we gasp for pure air. When the inner Guru sees that we have such a commitment, He showers us with grace and knowledge.Please sign up for the conference as soon as possible. We had a great time last year and it was a happy memory in our lives. It will be a very good event this year too and its not often that we have the pleasure of Sanjay's darshan and his unmatched knowledge of Jyotish. For some years now, Sanjay has spread this knowledge with his generosity and kindness and has asked little if anything in return. All he has asked from us is to learn, be dedicated and to follow spiritual principles and practices in our lives. We are lucky souls to have such a knowledgable and generous guide/Guru in our lives to help us with our learning of this very profound and glorious subject matter.Did you know that Parasara means to 'spread.' Like Parasara, Sanjay is the embodiment of 'spreading'.Kind Regards,Brendan|Om Tat Sat|http://www.varahamihira

Dear Guru's and Learned Members,

Namaste,

I do agree with Anna's comments and observations about our

Organization.

I think we should do a process called " Current State Analysis of an

Organization (SJC) " .

I did observed some of the points mentioned by Anna in the

past few months. Some of you know, my association with SJC

is about 4 moths for now and few months before I became a

student member, so in total it is about 7 months.

Trust me, while I am reading many of the message (over 12,000)

from VA group, I have found a lot of enthusiasum and interest

and dedication did exist in earlier days, but over period of

time it has been reduced. Only few handful of people are

contributing to the knowledge sharing process, we need to give

a thought on why, and what are the things have changed other

than economy. Recently, I have also recognized the interest is

picking up slowly, but it is not enough to keep the torch going

forward.

At this time, we should take our SJC as an Organization and

really we need to work to make the foundation stronger and

do some real educational campaigns about the SJC's principles

and objective to attract and retain the students. Also, like

any organization, the funds are critical, so we need to see

some creative ways to get some (critical) funds available to

SJC for the research and development activities and conduct

the work-shops and seminars etc.,

I am sure, some of the Guru's and Members have already thought

about this, but as you know, I am one of the beginner's of SJC

and always love, care and worry about this organization, hence

this message.

I can always contribut my 2 cents worth of ideas for our

organization and please do not hesitate to contact me for any help /

assistance, if you think I can do for our SJC.

Thanks for listening to me.

Regards

Rao

varahamihira , " N.Anna " <anmar@a...> wrote:

> Hello Varahamira's,

>

> Just a short message- my Internet provider is sick.

>

> I have no doubt about Sanjay's devotion and knowledge of Jyotish-

but no matter how much sacrifices he's made, he cannot do everything.

> It's quite clear that only serious students will attend meetings

and be interested in SJC 'health' in general- how many of them we see

here, and why are they often discouraged and 'asked' to leave SJC,

one way or another?- Whose judgment on how many serious students

are here has failed, again? Do we know what 'market research' is all

about? 'Nominal number' of 'students' doesn't matter, if majority of

them are either 'free reading hunters' or 'hobbyist, who hardly ever

contribute anything for the benefit of all. Why SJC has changed so

much after the initial first year? What's happening with SJC 'inner

circle'? What kind of students SJC wants to attract? What do

Sanjays 'advisors' do to make SJC stronger? These are questions that

IMHO has to be answered ASAP.

>

> SJC has unique resources, wealth of knowledge, Sanjay's serious

commitment- management of resources /human, especially/ has to be

obligation for more than one person in SJC. / IMHO should I say?/

>

> SJC needs reality check not disappointment.

>

> I am positive that SJC is and will be much stronger and will use

what seems to be small setback for it's unobstructed growth.

>

> Best wishes to SJC, Sanjay, Brendan, and all,

>

> Anna

>

>

>

> -

> Bpfeeley@A...

> vyasa ; parasari_jyotish ;

Achyuta@s... ; achyuta ; varahamihira

> Tuesday, August 12, 2003 12:47 PM

> |Sri Varaha| SJC East Coast Conference 2003 - Moved to

Edison NJ

>

>

>

> Jaya Jagannatha

>

> Dear Fellow Students,

>

> As Narayana pointed out, we decided to move the conference to New

Jersey. Otherwise we would have had to cancel the event alltoghter

and we didn't want to do that.

>

> I'm sorry if this has caused any inconvenience to you and I want

to encourage you to attend the event in NJ. Many people from that

area, NY and NJ, did not want to come to DC and many people in DC

apparently did not want to come to DC either. I was both surprised

and saddened that only 4 people had registered for the conference at

the Shiva Vishnu Temple here in Maryland. I've had 20 - 40 people

attend my lectures at the Temple but many were not serious about

Jyotish and just wanted to come a view the lake. This is a more

serious event and the spiritual path and the study of Jyotish

requires that we jump into the lake and stay there until we gasp for

pure air. When the inner Guru sees that we have such a commitment, He

showers us with grace and knowledge.

>

> Please sign up for the conference as soon as possible. We had a

great time last year and it was a happy memory in our lives. It will

be a very good event this year too and its not often that we have the

pleasure of Sanjay's darshan and his unmatched knowledge of Jyotish.

>

> For some years now, Sanjay has spread this knowledge with his

generosity and kindness and has asked little if anything in return.

All he has asked from us is to learn, be dedicated and to follow

spiritual principles and practices in our lives.

>

> We are lucky souls to have such a knowledgable and generous

guide/Guru in our lives to help us with our learning of this very

profound and glorious subject matter.

>

> Did you know that Parasara means to 'spread.' Like Parasara,

Sanjay is the embodiment of 'spreading'.

>

> Kind Regards,

> Brendan

>

>

>

|| Om Gurave Namah ||

Dear Members,

I do agree that quality of SJC activities in EMail list has largely reduced from the earlier days. We do need to improve our quality of emails to all the List. Mails of little Jyotish contents has to be avoided. The other day I and Narayan were talking about the same, We felt that the formation of the formal organization called 'SJC' could have reduced the informalness and more attention is being paid to organizational activities. We must not forget that primarily our objective and passion is to learn from our Guru.

But, one also needs to note the fact that the one-to-one interaction and group meetings in all places (Atleast in New Jersey area) Has improved considerably. Ultimately the personal informal Guru-Shishya relations and Gurukul environment needs to be established and improved, for which get togethers are very important. Sharing and documentation of the Jyotish knowledge for other members can be done thru the list.

Warm Regards,

S. Prabhakaran

-

Rao Nemani

varahamihira

Thursday, August 14, 2003 11:37 AM

|Sri Varaha| Re: SJC East Coast Conference 2003 - Moved to Edison NJ/Q?

Dear Guru's and Learned Members,Namaste,I do agree with Anna's comments and observations about our Organization.I think we should do a process called "Current State Analysis of an Organization (SJC)".I did observed some of the points mentioned by Anna in the past few months. Some of you know, my association with SJC is about 4 moths for now and few months before I became a student member, so in total it is about 7 months.Trust me, while I am reading many of the message (over 12,000)from VA group, I have found a lot of enthusiasum and interest and dedication did exist in earlier days, but over period of time it has been reduced. Only few handful of people are contributing to the knowledge sharing process, we need to givea thought on why, and what are the things have changed other than economy. Recently, I have also recognized the interest is picking up slowly, but it is not enough to keep the torch going forward.At this time, we should take our SJC as an Organization and really we need to work to make the foundation stronger and do some real educational campaigns about the SJC's principles and objective to attract and retain the students. Also, like any organization, the funds are critical, so we need to see some creative ways to get some (critical) funds available to SJC for the research and development activities and conductthe work-shops and seminars etc.,I am sure, some of the Guru's and Members have already thoughtabout this, but as you know, I am one of the beginner's of SJC and always love, care and worry about this organization, hence this message.I can always contribut my 2 cents worth of ideas for our organization and please do not hesitate to contact me for any help / assistance, if you think I can do for our SJC.Thanks for listening to me.RegardsRaovarahamihira , "N.Anna" <anmar@a...> wrote:> Hello Varahamira's,> > Just a short message- my Internet provider is sick.> > I have no doubt about Sanjay's devotion and knowledge of Jyotish- but no matter how much sacrifices he's made, he cannot do everything.> It's quite clear that only serious students will attend meetings and be interested in SJC 'health' in general- how many of them we see here, and why are they often discouraged and 'asked' to leave SJC, one way or another?- Whose judgment on how many serious students are here has failed, again? Do we know what 'market research' is all about? 'Nominal number' of 'students' doesn't matter, if majority of them are either 'free reading hunters' or 'hobbyist, who hardly ever contribute anything for the benefit of all. Why SJC has changed so much after the initial first year? What's happening with SJC 'inner circle'? What kind of students SJC wants to attract? What do Sanjays 'advisors' do to make SJC stronger? These are questions that IMHO has to be answered ASAP. > > SJC has unique resources, wealth of knowledge, Sanjay's serious commitment- management of resources /human, especially/ has to be obligation for more than one person in SJC. / IMHO should I say?/> > SJC needs reality check not disappointment. > > I am positive that SJC is and will be much stronger and will use what seems to be small setback for it's unobstructed growth.> > Best wishes to SJC, Sanjay, Brendan, and all,> > Anna> > > > - > Bpfeeley@A... > vyasa ; parasari_jyotish ; Achyuta@s... ; achyuta ; varahamihira > Tuesday, August 12, 2003 12:47 PM> |Sri Varaha| SJC East Coast Conference 2003 - Moved to Edison NJ> > > > Jaya Jagannatha> > Dear Fellow Students,> > As Narayana pointed out, we decided to move the conference to New Jersey. Otherwise we would have had to cancel the event alltoghter and we didn't want to do that.> > I'm sorry if this has caused any inconvenience to you and I want to encourage you to attend the event in NJ. Many people from that area, NY and NJ, did not want to come to DC and many people in DC apparently did not want to come to DC either. I was both surprised and saddened that only 4 people had registered for the conference at the Shiva Vishnu Temple here in Maryland. I've had 20 - 40 people attend my lectures at the Temple but many were not serious about Jyotish and just wanted to come a view the lake. This is a more serious event and the spiritual path and the study of Jyotish requires that we jump into the lake and stay there until we gasp for pure air. When the inner Guru sees that we have such a commitment, He showers us with grace and knowledge.> > Please sign up for the conference as soon as possible. We had a great time last year and it was a happy memory in our lives. It will be a very good event this year too and its not often that we have the pleasure of Sanjay's darshan and his unmatched knowledge of Jyotish. > > For some years now, Sanjay has spread this knowledge with his generosity and kindness and has asked little if anything in return. All he has asked from us is to learn, be dedicated and to follow spiritual principles and practices in our lives. > > We are lucky souls to have such a knowledgable and generous guide/Guru in our lives to help us with our learning of this very profound and glorious subject matter.> > Did you know that Parasara means to 'spread.' Like Parasara, Sanjay is the embodiment of 'spreading'.> > Kind Regards,> Brendan>

Namaste Anna and others,

Yes, we need some reality check and better planning and organization. But things are not as bad as they seem.

The conference in the west coast is still attended by many people. The strength, I think, is comparable to last year. When I and Narayan held Achyuta Jyotish Workshop in New Jersey at the end of January, we had 37 people and that's higher than the number of students who attended the east coast seminar last August.

There are several reasons for the disappointing response to this year's east coast conference. We have an active group of SJC students In New Jersey who regularly meet. New Jerseay is a great location for Jyotish events. We made a mistake by switching the conference from New Jersey to Maryland. Also, the amount of activity on the east coast - there are too many weekend workshops - makes one thing eat into another's business. We were aware of the issues, but ignored them and reacted too slowly. Still, I think we will finally do ok. I may also say that some topics we chose were inappropriate for a general audience. Sanjay ji originally envisioned it as an advanced seminar where research papers are presented and wanted the workshops to be more detailed and focussed on teaching. Perhaps the vision is too futuristic. We made some changes to the topics to make them more interesting.

In any case, switching the conference to New Jersey is a good move (though we were too late in reacting). If some of the topics are changed to be more interesting and relevant to average students, IMHO all the events of the east coast will go fine. If you note the topics I covered at Achyuta Jyotish Workshop earlier, you'll see that they are all basic and interesting topics that appeal to everyone. I was personally overwhelmed by the response to Achyuta Jyotish Workshop earlier this year, when people came from Washington state, California state, Florida and even Ireland. If the topics are kept simple and relevant, I think the interest is always there.

When it comes to "free reading hunters or hobbyists", I see it differently (what follows is my personal view and others at SJC may think differently). We are not trying to create a McJyotish or McSjc or a McDonald style knowledge selling entity. Jyotish is very advanced knowledge that can be learnt only by a few. It is foolish to try to create McJyotish or to expect much money through Jyotish teachings (OTOH, if one wants to create a McDonalds like entity that sells Jyotish readings, IMHO that is feasible. But teaching is different). Traditionally, a good Jyotish guru's goal always is to find one good student (or a handful of good students) who will keep the torch burning and pass it on to the next generation. Out of those "free reading hunters and hobbyists" may be hidden a gem of a student who will finally digest this knowledge correctly and make great contributions to the revival of Jyotish. Just because somebody does not spend money on Jyotish conferences and workshops, don't think that he/she will "hardly ever contribute anything for the benefit of all". I disagree with you there. For the benefit and financial stability of the organization, we need students who can pay money. But, more importantly, we need intelligent persons capable of making contributions to the research. Those persons may be hidden among the free reading hunters and hobbyists.

I personally am a "free reading hunter and hobbyist". Yet, I made some humble contributions of my own to Jyotish and hopefully will continue to do so. If somebody else like me wants to learn it without spending hundreds of dollars, I personally will be excited to teach him.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and I appreciate your taking time. SJC is still going through growing pains. In fact, IMHO our main problem is not lack of interest from students. Our main problem is lack of organized material and resources that gurus can draw from. Unless we have organized material which gurus can draw from and which interested students can use, we will not go far. Otherwise, we will succeed every now and then in creating interest, but the students who are excited don't know what to do. It leads to frustration after a while. We are like a movie that makes people interested with nice teasers (ads) that show on TV and, after creating viewer interest, never releases and keeps getting postponed.

Again, we are working on it. Give SJC a few years to build the needed infrastructure and material.

May Jupiter's light shine on us,

Narasimha

> Hello Varahamira's,> > Just a short message- my Internet provider is sick.> > I have no doubt about Sanjay's devotion and knowledge of Jyotish- but no matter how much sacrifices he's made, he cannot do everything.> It's quite clear that only serious students will attend meetings and be interested in SJC 'health' in general- how many of them we see here, and why are they often discouraged and 'asked' to leave SJC, one way or another?- Whose judgment on how many serious students are here has failed, again? Do we know what 'market research' is all about? 'Nominal number' of 'students' doesn't matter, if majority of them are either 'free reading hunters' or 'hobbyist, who hardly ever contribute anything for the benefit of all. Why SJC has changed so much after the initial first year? What's happening with SJC 'inner circle'? What kind of students SJC wants to attract? What do Sanjays 'advisors' do to make SJC stronger? These are questions that IMHO has to be answered ASAP. > > SJC has unique resources, wealth of knowledge, Sanjay's serious commitment- management of resources /human, especially/ has to be obligation for more than one person in SJC. / IMHO should I say?/> > SJC needs reality check not disappointment. > > I am positive that SJC is and will be much stronger and will use what seems to be small setback for it's unobstructed growth.> > Best wishes to SJC, Sanjay, Brendan, and all,> > Anna

Dear Narasimha,

Thanks for explanation of SJC activities, it will certainly brighten the picture which I and many other people have.

As the saying goes,

God please don't give me what my mother is afraid of, but bring me what my spouse is afraid of../lol/

If my concern had been of that /motherly/ type, only, as it appears in your message, that would be great.

Just a point on free-reading- I would personally also do free-readings /and counselling/ only, if possible and enjoy studying and teaching jyotish 'l'art pour l'art'. My metaphor wasn't well chosen, I see- it would perhaps be more on hobbyist side, and even than, just a metaphor for choosing people and attracting people with genuine interest in Jyotish- along with others with variety of interest, that will come anyway.

I still believe that can/should be done, that 'vision' being the 'light' of what I've perceived as SJC 'mission'. If you could sense intention in my expression 'free reading hobbyist/ you would recognize that on that ground I have identical stand point as you do. /easier to disagree with though, The message which I wrote in hurry, was meant to express my concern about more essential issues= not only those mentioned by my clumsy metaphor.

But that's less important that the general vision, indeed.

Couloring the facts is not always productive.

In any event, I am glad you shared your 'vision' and impressions, and you are certainly in position to know more.

Sanjay's idea of intensive direct-studying is definitively the right thing in the right direction.

Interest is huge, and it will bring more of what what we need, than any administrative measures, like 'university' etc..'vanity fare'

I do wish all the best to SJS, Sanjat and yourself,

Anna

PS- It would be great if you would post more, with your enthusiasm /if any is left?/ and profound knowledge

which can be found only in archived messages, now.

-

Narasimha P.V.R. Rao

varahamihira

Saturday, August 16, 2003 7:10 PM

|Sri Varaha| Re: SJC East Coast Conference 2003 - Moved to Edison NJ/Q?

Namaste Anna and others,

Yes, we need some reality check and better planning and organization. But things are not as bad as they seem.

The conference in the west coast is still attended by many people. The strength, I think, is comparable to last year. When I and Narayan held Achyuta Jyotish Workshop in New Jersey at the end of January, we had 37 people and that's higher than the number of students who attended the east coast seminar last August.

There are several reasons for the disappointing response to this year's east coast conference. We have an active group of SJC students In New Jersey who regularly meet. New Jerseay is a great location for Jyotish events. We made a mistake by switching the conference from New Jersey to Maryland. Also, the amount of activity on the east coast - there are too many weekend workshops - makes one thing eat into another's business. We were aware of the issues, but ignored them and reacted too slowly. Still, I think we will finally do ok. I may also say that some topics we chose were inappropriate for a general audience. Sanjay ji originally envisioned it as an advanced seminar where research papers are presented and wanted the workshops to be more detailed and focussed on teaching. Perhaps the vision is too futuristic. We made some changes to the topics to make them more interesting.

In any case, switching the conference to New Jersey is a good move (though we were too late in reacting). If some of the topics are changed to be more interesting and relevant to average students, IMHO all the events of the east coast will go fine. If you note the topics I covered at Achyuta Jyotish Workshop earlier, you'll see that they are all basic and interesting topics that appeal to everyone. I was personally overwhelmed by the response to Achyuta Jyotish Workshop earlier this year, when people came from Washington state, California state, Florida and even Ireland. If the topics are kept simple and relevant, I think the interest is always there.

When it comes to "free reading hunters or hobbyists", I see it differently (what follows is my personal view and others at SJC may think differently). We are not trying to create a McJyotish or McSjc or a McDonald style knowledge selling entity. Jyotish is very advanced knowledge that can be learnt only by a few. It is foolish to try to create McJyotish or to expect much money through Jyotish teachings (OTOH, if one wants to create a McDonalds like entity that sells Jyotish readings, IMHO that is feasible. But teaching is different). Traditionally, a good Jyotish guru's goal always is to find one good student (or a handful of good students) who will keep the torch burning and pass it on to the next generation. Out of those "free reading hunters and hobbyists" may be hidden a gem of a student who will finally digest this knowledge correctly and make great contributions to the revival of Jyotish. Just because somebody does not spend money on Jyotish conferences and workshops, don't think that he/she will "hardly ever contribute anything for the benefit of all". I disagree with you there. For the benefit and financial stability of the organization, we need students who can pay money. But, more importantly, we need intelligent persons capable of making contributions to the research. Those persons may be hidden among the free reading hunters and hobbyists.

I personally am a "free reading hunter and hobbyist". Yet, I made some humble contributions of my own to Jyotish and hopefully will continue to do so. If somebody else like me wants to learn it without spending hundreds of dollars, I personally will be excited to teach him.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts and I appreciate your taking time. SJC is still going through growing pains. In fact, IMHO our main problem is not lack of interest from students. Our main problem is lack of organized material and resources that gurus can draw from. Unless we have organized material which gurus can draw from and which interested students can use, we will not go far. Otherwise, we will succeed every now and then in creating interest, but the students who are excited don't know what to do. It leads to frustration after a while. We are like a movie that makes people interested with nice teasers (ads) that show on TV and, after creating viewer interest, never releases and keeps getting postponed.

Again, we are working on it. Give SJC a few years to build the needed infrastructure and material.

May Jupiter's light shine on us,

Narasimha

> Hello Varahamira's,> > Just a short message- my Internet provider is sick.> > I have no doubt about Sanjay's devotion and knowledge of Jyotish- but no matter how much sacrifices he's made, he cannot do everything.> It's quite clear that only serious students will attend meetings and be interested in SJC 'health' in general- how many of them we see here, and why are they often discouraged and 'asked' to leave SJC, one way or another?- Whose judgment on how many serious students are here has failed, again? Do we know what 'market research' is all about? 'Nominal number' of 'students' doesn't matter, if majority of them are either 'free reading hunters' or 'hobbyist, who hardly ever contribute anything for the benefit of all. Why SJC has changed so much after the initial first year? What's happening with SJC 'inner circle'? What kind of students SJC wants to attract? What do Sanjays 'advisors' do to make SJC stronger? These are questions that IMHO has to be answered ASAP. > > SJC has unique resources, wealth of knowledge, Sanjay's serious commitment- management of resources /human, especially/ has to be obligation for more than one person in SJC. / IMHO should I say?/> > SJC needs reality check not disappointment. > > I am positive that SJC is and will be much stronger and will use what seems to be small setback for it's unobstructed growth.> > Best wishes to SJC, Sanjay, Brendan, and all,> > Anna

|Om Tat Sat|http://www.varahamihira