IndiaDivine.org

Mandi & Gulika,

Rate this topic

Guest guest

dear brendan ji & sanjay ji,

as far as i know gulika & mandi both represent the protion of saturn's arc. gulika is the starting pint & mandi is the mid pioint. this arc is double the of this distance. this is genrally 11-13 degrees dinman is divided by 8 to get 8arcs of respceteive planets*( 8th protion is supposed to b lordless). suppose its 32 ghatikas, then every protion will b of 4 ghatikas. & 2,6,10,14,18etc will represent mid points of respective arcs. oredr of the arcs depend on the weekday. eg. on sunday, gulika shud b 7th & sun's arc would commence the order. but during night, ist arc will b of 5th week lord.

i think j hora follows this pattern

may be narsimha ji can enlighten more on this,

prashant

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now

In a message dated 11/22/2003 4:17:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, prashantnarang writes:

Prashant,

Yes, what you say is correct according to my notes on this and same as JHora:

The lagna of the time on the day of birth at the beginning of Saturn's portion for Gulika and the middle of Saturn's portion for Maandi. The degree ascending on start of Saturn's portion is called Gulika. The degree ascending at the middle point of Saturn's portion is called Maandi.

Regards,

Brendan

as far as i know gulika & mandi both represent the protion of saturn's arc. gulika is the starting pint & mandi is the mid pioint. this arc is double the of this distance. this is genrally 11-13 degrees dinman is divided by 8 to get 8arcs of respceteive planets*( 8th protion is supposed to b lordless). suppose its 32 ghatikas, then every protion will b of 4 ghatikas. & 2,6,10,14,18etc will represent mid points of respective arcs. oredr of the arcs depend on the weekday. eg. on sunday, gulika shud b 7th & sun's arc would commence the order. but during night, ist arc will b of 5th week lord.

i think j hora follows this pattern

may be narsimha ji can enlighten more on this,

prashant

Dear Brendan,

I am wondering what would be rationale for different interpretation of Gulika and Maandi /based on relative position at the beginning-midle of S.portion/ the former being very malefic, more than Saturn itself?in fact for having the two placements instead of one?

Also, I remember I've read somewhere about both of them in the context of upagrahas - but they are obviously more important points than upagrahas /at least Gulika is/ and other 'sensitive points' are. When do we/you use upagrahas?

I would appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Anna

-BpfeeleyDate: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:25:20 ESTvarahamihira Subject: Re: |Sri Varaha| Mandi & Gulika,In a message dated 11/22/2003 4:17:08 AM Eastern Standard Time, prashantnarang writes:Prashant,Yes, what you say is correct according to my notes on this and same as JHora:The lagna of the time on the day of birth at the beginning of Saturn's portion for Gulika and the middle of Saturn's portion for Maandi. The degree ascending on start of Saturn's portion is called Gulika. The degree ascending at the middle point of Saturn's portion is called Maandi.Regards,Brendan

as far as i know gulika & mandi both represent the protion of saturn's arc. gulika is the starting pint & mandi is the mid pioint. this arc is double the of this distance. this is genrally 11-13 degrees dinman is divided by 8 to get 8arcs of respceteive planets*( 8th protion is supposed to b lordless). suppose its 32 ghatikas, then every protion will b of 4 ghatikas. & 2,6,10,14,18etc will represent mid points of respective arcs. oredr of the arcs depend on the weekday. eg. on sunday, gulika shud b 7th & sun's arc would commence the order. but during night, ist arc will b of 5th week lord.i think j hora follows this pattern may be narsimha ji can enlighten more on this,prashant|Om Tat Sat|http://www.varahamihira

In a message dated 11/23/2003 1:04:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, jyotish108 writes:

Dear Anna,

There is often confusion about Gulika and Maandi and maybe that tells us something about their nature. They are referred to throughout the Jataka Granthas and some refer only to Maandi, while others, such as BPHS, Uttar-Kalamrita and Sarwartha Chintamani make distinction between the two. Some will debate this. I'm telling you what I've learned.

As Prashant said in his mails, Gulika is the initial point of the arc and Maandi is the middle point of the arc, where malefic influence would be at its strongest. I liked his idea about planet in the arc being under their influence.

It is said, that if Maandi, the son of Saturn, is placed in lagna, the native will poison himself. So Mandi is self-poisoning, while Gulika, the other son of Saturn, is said to poison others.

This could have many meanings and I use them quite a bit in medical astrology... poisoning from medication, suicide, addictions, etc. They are strange bedfellows and are always close together. Misery loves company.

Now if gulika is in the nakshatra of the dasa lord, it is referred to as Gulika dasa. It is said to be very difficult and it has maraka qualities and will clearly give disease of some form or other.

I'm in such a dasa myself. Gulika is in Rahu's nakshatra and Rahu is in the 6th. Apart from the suffering it brings me, everyday I use ayurvedic herbs and homeopathic remedies to treat chronic diseases. These are poisons and that's why they work, but administered properly, they become powerful substances for healing. It's a matter of quantity and quality.

So in my opinion, Gulika has a very important significations for healing and administering substances. It might also be seen in the chart of those who poison others in the negative/destructive sense. Make sure you ask your medical doctor for his data before you see him. Doctors have to have a combination in their charts for the administration of poisons to the public (Moon).

It is a good topic for research! Play with it. Parasara give the indications of Gulika in each of the houses.

They are dark forces, but like all dark factors in our lives, the purpose is to bring us closer to our God and I agree with you that suffering is a necessity for cleansing the mind of all its toxic (poison) nonsense. The simple fact is that we enter life, this world, in a poisoned state based on our past karmas, and poison has to be our medicine. Like cures like!

Warm Regards,

Brendan

Dear Brendan,

I am wondering what would be rationale for different interpretation of Gulika and Maandi /based on relative position at the beginning-midle of S.portion/ the former being very malefic, more than Saturn itself?in fact for having the two placements instead of one?

Also, I remember I've read somewhere about both of them in the context of upagrahas - but they are obviously more important points than upagrahas /at least Gulika is/ and other 'sensitive points' are. When do we/you use upagrahas?

I would appreciate your comments.

Best regards,

Anna

In a message dated 11/23/2003 1:04:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, jyotish108 writes:

Anna,

The tpoic of Upagraha is a very rich one. To begin, start observing gulika and maandi and you will be rewarded in my opinion.

Regards,

Brendan

Dear Brendan,

What a great text, I've read it couple of times- you were able to powerfully communicate your deeper understanding of these dark forces, that otherwise would be 'lifeless' points to me. I almost can visualize them, and the planet on the their arc that Prashant wrote about, as a 'black hole', 'underworld', or not of this world contact.

Addiction comes to my mind first, and your experience is invaluable. Thank you very much for sharing. Things like these make us wonder that there is some hidden pattern which 'holds the keys' of our destiny, and however hot or difficult it can be, you must feel enriched by insight you gained, which would be dimly sensed had you not expanded your own faculties, understanding. In fact, what makes me study Jyotish is that very experience, which is hard to find in 'official science'- not only my own small life which has been given to me to me just as a vehicle.

I hate doctors and I am lucky when I can heal myself with prayers, my favourite medication. My physical doctor is one of many 'lacking common sense'- that becomes second nature for them, they simply cannot help themselves. I will see where this one's Gulika is, although I am well guarded already.

Quantity and quality of healing poisons, that makes lots of sense to me, and I envy you for experiences you've had. With yourself, as well.

This appears to be rather long, can't help, your writing is so inspirational to me.

Thanks so much, Brendan

Yours,

Anna

-BpfeeleyDate: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:55:22 ESTvarahamihira , parasari_jyotish Subject: Re: |Sri Varaha| Mandi & Gulika,In a message dated 11/23/2003 1:04:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, jyotish108 writes:Dear Anna,There is often confusion about Gulika and Maandi and maybe that tells us something about their nature. They are referred to throughout the Jataka Granthas and some refer only to Maandi, while others, such as BPHS, Uttar-Kalamrita and Sarwartha Chintamani make distinction between the two. Some will debate this. I'm telling you what I've learned.As Prashant said in his mails, Gulika is the initial point of the arc and Maandi is the middle point of the arc, where malefic influence would be at its strongest. I liked his idea about planet in the arc bein

g under their influence.It is said, that if Maandi, the son of Saturn, is placed in lagna, the native will poison himself. So Mandi is self-poisoning, while Gulika, the other son of Saturn, is said to poison others. This could have many meanings and I use them quite a bit in medical astrology... poisoning from medication, suicide, addictions, etc. They are strange bedfellows and are always close together. Misery loves company.Now if gulika is in the nakshatra of the dasa lord, it is referred to as Gulika dasa. It is said to be very difficult and it has maraka qualities and will clearly give disease of some form or other.I'm in such a dasa myself. Gulika is in Rahu's nakshatra and Rahu is in the 6th. Apart from the suffering it brings me, everyday I use ayurvedic herbs and homeopathic remedies to treat chronic diseases. These are poisons and that's why they work, but administered properly, they become powerful substances for healing. It's a mat

ter of quantity and quality.So in my opinion, Gulika has a very important significations for healing and administering substances. It might also be seen in the chart of those who poison others in the negative/destructive sense. Make sure you ask your medical doctor for his data before you see him. Doctors have to have a combination in their charts for the administration of poisons to the public (Moon).It is a good topic for research! Play with it. Parasara give the indications of Gulika in each of the houses.They are dark forces, but like all dark factors in our lives, the purpose is to bring us closer to our God and I agree with you that suffering is a necessity for cleansing the mind of all its toxic (poison) nonsense. The simple fact is that we enter life, this world, in a poisoned state based on our past karmas, and poison has to be our medicine. Like cures like!Warm Regards,Brendan

Dear Brendan,I am wondering what would be rationale for different interpretation of Gulika and Maandi /based on relative position at the beginning-midle of S.portion/ the former being very malefic, more than Saturn itself?in fact for having the two placements instead of one?Also, I remember I've read s

omewhere about both of them in the context of upagrahas - but they are obviously more important points than upagrahas /at least Gulika is/ and other 'sensitive points' are. When do we/you use upagrahas? I would appreciate your comments.Best regards,Anna|Om Tat Sat|http://www.varahamihira