IndiaDivine.org

Jyotish Foundation

Rate this topic

Guest guest

||Om Brihaspataye Namah||

Namaste,

Yesterday I was reading the article 'Jyotish Foundation' in which are explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11 rudras and Indra & Prajapati.

In the Asta Vasava, we have the pancha tatvas which in turn is mapped to a graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas and nakshetras. My questions are:

(a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets decided? To explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets and 5 tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the exclusion logic based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to Earth shall exert the maximum influence on the events happening on Earth? We know that the force of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies.

(b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the five tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind of observation/logic was used here?

© why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy of explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come only after this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can we explain why we chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember that Sanjay threw a hint that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any link between the two?

(d) Is there any reference that explains the dwadasa adityas in greater detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know that a list of the adityas is given in VRA.

regards

Hari

Get better spam protection with Mail

::Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya::

Dear Hari

Namaste,

Yesterday I was reading the article 'Jyotish Foundation' in which are explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11 rudras and Indra & Prajapati.

In the Asta Vasava, we have the pancha tatvas which in turn is mapped to a graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas and nakshetras. My questions are:

(a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets decided? To explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets and 5 tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the exclusion logic based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to Earth shall exert the maximum influence on the events happening on Earth? We know that the force of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies. [sanjay Rath:] This is a part of the sapta-pachatmika tatva.

Why do we have to exclude 3 planets?? There are 7 planets i.e. luminaries and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer boundary formed by the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu are the nodes of the Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU & KETU and we are only interested in the nodes of the Moon, so they come into the picture due to the mana karaka.

Yes we do, but can we say that such a motion is directly afecting the quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some SJC astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.

(b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the five tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind of observation/logic was used here?[sanjay Rath:] Good question - Sristi Karana may have the answer along with the sapta pancatmika tatva

© why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy of explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come only after this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can we explain why we chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember that Sanjay threw a hint that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any link between the two?[sanjay Rath:] The solar flare cycle is for 11 years..the first Upagraha Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped from zero Aries instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day which is the hotest part. There must be a link to the death coming every 11 years..remember the example I gave to prove the validity of the Nadi where the death occured 11 years at 59 years before the predicted date of 70 years.

(d) Is there any reference that explains the dwadasa adityas in greater detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know that a list of the adityas is given in VRA.[sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and other standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the strongest and younger brother of Surya and so on.

regards

Hari

[sanjay Rath:] Best wishes

SR

pranäms Sanjay,

Most of your answers are from left field (or a googly if you like to term it in cricketing parlance) and I have to search the non-existent library in my room which till now consists only of Sanjay Raths books and Narasimhas book!

Perhaps I should read Thompsons book to get an idea of this Brahmanda concept. I assume that our ancients were not fools and definitely knew that there were at least 9 planets in the solar system. Hence I asked this question about exclusion.

But if you say that every planet has a Rahu and Ketu, what is the Rahu and Ketu for Jupiter and Saturn who have many, many moons; and for Venus and Mercury which have no moon?

Rest of your comments, you have given good clues to pursue. Hopefully, when we meet...

regards

Hariguruji wrote:

::Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya::

Dear Hari

Namaste,

(a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets decided? To explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets and 5 tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the exclusion logic based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to Earth shall exert the maximum influence on the events happening on Earth? We know that the force of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies. [sanjay Rath:] This is a part of the sapta-pachatmika tatva.

Why do we have to exclude 3 planets?? There are 7 planets i.e. luminaries and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer boundary formed by the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu are the nodes of the Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU & KETU and we are only interested in the nodes of the Moon, so they come into the picture due to the mana karaka.

Yes we do, but can we say that such a motion is directly afecting the quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some SJC astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.

(b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the five tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind of observation/logic was used here?[sanjay Rath:] Good question - Sristi Karana may have the answer along with the sapta pancatmika tatva

© why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy of explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come only after this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can we explain why we chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember that Sanjay threw a hint that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any link between the two?[sanjay Rath:] The solar flare cycle is for 11 years..the first Upagraha Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped from zero Aries instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day which is the hotest part. There must be a link to the death coming every 11 years..remember the example I gave to prove the validity of the Nadi where the death occured 11 years at 59 years before the predicted date of 70 years.

(d) Is there any reference that explains the dwadasa adityas in greater detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know that a list of the adityas is given in VRA.[sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and other standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the strongest and younger brother of Surya and so on.

regards

Hari

[sanjay Rath:] Best wishes

SR

Dear Hari

Moon as a planet in astrology has its rahu and ketu, that its two

nodes. You are talking about moons of different planets such as

saturn and jupiter, whereas the concept is of the two nodes of each

and every planet themselves. Node is an astronomical due to

elliptical orbits.

best wishes

partha

varahamihira , Hari M <onlyhari> wrote:

> ||Om Brihaspataye Namah||

>

>

> pranäms Sanjay,

>

> Most of your answers are from left field (or a googly if you like

to term it in cricketing parlance) and I have to search the non-

existent library in my room which till now consists only of Sanjay

Raths books and Narasimhas book!

>

> Perhaps I should read Thompsons book to get an idea of this

Brahmanda concept. I assume that our ancients were not fools and

definitely knew that there were at least 9 planets in the solar

system. Hence I asked this question about exclusion.

>

> But if you say that every planet has a Rahu and Ketu, what is the

Rahu and Ketu for Jupiter and Saturn who have many, many moons; and

for Venus and Mercury which have no moon?

>

> Rest of your comments, you have given good clues to pursue.

Hopefully, when we meet...

>

> regards

>

> Hari

> guruji@s... wrote:

>

>

>

> ::Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya::

> Dear Hari

>

>

>

> Namaste,

>

> Yesterday I was reading the article 'Jyotish Foundation' in which

are explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11

rudras and Indra & Prajapati.

>

> In the Asta Vasava, we have the pancha tatvas which in turn is

mapped to a graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas

and nakshetras. My questions are:

>

> (a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets decided?

To explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets

and 5 tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the

exclusion logic based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to

Earth shall exert the maximum influence on the events happening on

Earth? We know that the force of attraction between two bodies is

directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely

proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies.

> [sanjay Rath:] This is a part of the sapta-pachatmika tatva.

> Why do we have to exclude 3 planets?? There are 7 planets i.e.

luminaries and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer

boundary formed by the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu

are the nodes of the Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU &

KETU and we are only interested in the nodes of the Moon, so they

come into the picture due to the mana karaka.

> Yes we do, but can we say that such a motion is directly afecting

the quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some

SJC astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.

>

> (b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the

five tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What

kind of observation/logic was used here?

> [sanjay Rath:] Good question - Sristi Karana may have the answer

along with the sapta pancatmika tatva

>

> © why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy

of explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come

only after this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can

we explain why we chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember

that Sanjay threw a hint that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any

link between the two?

> [sanjay Rath:] The solar flare cycle is for 11 years..the first

Upagraha Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped

from zero Aries instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day

which is the hotest part. There must be a link to the death coming

every 11 years..remember the example I gave to prove the validity of

the Nadi where the death occured 11 years at 59 years before the

predicted date of 70 years.

>

> (d) Is there any reference that explains the dwadasa adityas in

greater detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know

that a list of the adityas is given in VRA.

> [sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and

other standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the

strongest and younger brother of Surya and so on.

>

> regards

> Hari

>

> [sanjay Rath:] Best wishes

> SR

>

>

>

> |Om Tat Sat|

> http://www.varahamihira

>

>

>

Dear Partha,

Rahu and Ketu are considered to be the grahas that have the power to destroy the luminaries, is it not? The luminaries for Earth (Bhu-loka) are the Sun and the Moon. Mathematically or geometrically, Rahu and Ketu are defined by the intersection points of the plane of the moons orbit around the Earth with that of the Earths orbit around the Sun.

Now take a planet which has no moon or a planet which has 20 moons. How would you define Ra & Ke?

Yes, I do understand that Sanjay is talking of different planets having their own Rahu and Ketu but I am trying to understand how in the light of the definition given to us.

regards

Hari"V.Partha sarathy" <partvinu5 wrote:

Dear HariMoon as a planet in astrology has its rahu and ketu, that its two nodes. You are talking about moons of different planets such as saturn and jupiter, whereas the concept is of the two nodes of each and every planet themselves. Node is an astronomical due to elliptical orbits.best wishesparthavarahamihira , Hari M <onlyhari> wrote:> ||Om Brihaspataye Namah||> > > pranäms Sanjay,> > Most of your answers are from left field (or a googly if you like to term it in cricketing parlance) and I have to search the non-existent library in my room which till now consists only of Sanjay Raths books and Narasimhas book! > > Perhaps I should read Thompsons book to get an idea of this Brahmanda concept. I assume that our ancients were

not fools and definitely knew that there were at least 9 planets in the solar system. Hence I asked this question about exclusion. > > But if you say that every planet has a Rahu and Ketu, what is the Rahu and Ketu for Jupiter and Saturn who have many, many moons; and for Venus and Mercury which have no moon?> > Rest of your comments, you have given good clues to pursue. Hopefully, when we meet...> > regards> > Hari> guruji@s... wrote:> > > > ::Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya::> Dear Hari> > > ||Om Brihaspataye Namah||> > Namaste,> > Yesterday I was reading the article 'Jyotish Foundation' in which are explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11 rudras and Indra & Prajapati.> > In the Asta Vasava, we have the pancha tatvas which in turn is

mapped to a graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas and nakshetras. My questions are:> > (a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets decided? To explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets and 5 tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the exclusion logic based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to Earth shall exert the maximum influence on the events happening on Earth? We know that the force of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies. > [sanjay Rath:] This is a part of the sapta-pachatmika tatva. > Why do we have to exclude 3 planets?? There are 7 planets i.e. luminaries and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer boundary formed by the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu

are the nodes of the Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU & KETU and we are only interested in the nodes of the Moon, so they come into the picture due to the mana karaka.> Yes we do, but can we say that such a motion is directly afecting the quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some SJC astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.> > (b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the five tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind of observation/logic was used here?> [sanjay Rath:] Good question - Sristi Karana may have the answer along with the sapta pancatmika tatva > > © why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy of explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come only after this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can we explain why we chose this

number of rudras to be 11? I remember that Sanjay threw a hint that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any link between the two?> [sanjay Rath:] The solar flare cycle is for 11 years..the first Upagraha Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped from zero Aries instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day which is the hotest part. There must be a link to the death coming every 11 years..remember the example I gave to prove the validity of the Nadi where the death occured 11 years at 59 years before the predicted date of 70 years.> > (d) Is there any reference that explains the dwadasa adityas in greater detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know that a list of the adityas is given in VRA.> [sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and other standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the strongest and younger brother of Surya and so on.

> > regards> Hari> > [sanjay Rath:] Best wishes> SR > > > > |Om Tat Sat|> http://www.varahamihira > > >

Dear Hari,

I think if you look at the way placement of Rahu and Ketu with respect

to the path of Moon, you will better understand what Sanjay meant when

he said that every planet has its own Rahu and Ketu.

Chandrashekhar.

V.Partha sarathy wrote:

Dear Hari

Moon as a planet in astrology has its rahu and ketu, that its two

nodes. You are talking about moons of different planets such as

saturn and jupiter, whereas the concept is of the two nodes of each

and every planet themselves. Node is an astronomical due to

elliptical orbits.

best wishes

partha

varahamihira ,

Hari M <onlyhari>

wrote:

>

>

> pranäms Sanjay,

>

> Most of your answers are from left field (or a googly if you like

to term it in cricketing parlance) and I have to search the non-

existent library in my room which till now consists only of Sanjay

Raths books and Narasimhas book!

>

> Perhaps I should read Thompsons book to get an idea of this

Brahmanda concept. I assume that our ancients were not fools and

definitely knew that there were at least 9 planets in the solar

system. Hence I asked this question about exclusion.

>

> But if you say that every planet has a Rahu and Ketu, what is the

Rahu and Ketu for Jupiter and Saturn who have many, many moons; and

for Venus and Mercury which have no moon?

>

> Rest of your comments, you have given good clues to pursue.

Hopefully, when we meet...

>

> regards

>

> Hari

> guruji@s... wrote:

>

>

>

> Dear Hari

>

>

>

> Namaste,

>

are explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11

rudras and Indra & Prajapati.

>

mapped to a graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas

and nakshetras. My questions are:

>

> (a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets

decided?

To explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets

and 5 tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the

exclusion logic based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to

Earth shall exert the maximum influence on the events happening on

Earth? We know that the force of attraction between two bodies is

directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely

proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies.

luminaries and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer

boundary formed by the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu

are the nodes of the Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU &

KETU and we are only interested in the nodes of the Moon, so they

come into the picture due to the mana karaka.

the quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some

SJC astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.

>

five tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What

kind of observation/logic was used here?

along with the sapta pancatmika tatva

>

> © why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy

of explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come

only after this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can

we explain why we chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember

that Sanjay threw a hint that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any

link between the two?

Upagraha Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped

from zero Aries instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day

which is the hotest part. There must be a link to the death coming

every 11 years..remember the example I gave to prove the validity of

the Nadi where the death occured 11 years at 59 years before the

predicted date of 70 years.

>

greater detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know

that a list of the adityas is given in VRA.

> [sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and

other standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the

strongest and younger brother of Surya and so on.

>

> regards

> Hari

>

> SR

>

>

>

> |Om Tat Sat|

> http://www.varahamihira

>

>

>

Guest guest

Om Gurave Namah

Namaste Hari,

Your question was

(b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the five

tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind of

observation/logic was used here?

You have certainly posed a very interesting question, and here is my

humble attempt to understand the logic of allocation of pancha

tattwas along with you. I hope for quite a few corrections from all

Gurus and other learned members of this forum.

The Vishnu Purana and the SriMad Bhagavatham talk about genesis of

the Universe. Prakriti is the First and from thence came Mahat-

tattwa, from which the Ahamkara had originated.

The Ahamkara (or the sense of self) has been further sub-divided into

the 3 Gunas, sattwa, Rajas and Tamoguna. While adhidevatas & Antah

Karana form the sattwa guna, the karmendriyas and gyanendriyas

comprise Rajoguna and the panchabhutas and tanmatras constitute the

Tamoguna.

1)I think the antah-karana would correspond to Chandra;

2)the energy principle latent in the working of all indriyas would

correspond to Surya, as among the three sattwik planets, Sun is the

rajo guni, because he indicates creation;

3)and that leaves us with 5 planets and the pancha tattwas, which are

part of tamoguna.

The puranas say that that the first tattwa to originate was the

Akasa tattwa from which vaayu had originated and from vayu came agni

and from thence came Jala and finally from Jala we get prithvi

tattwa.

Now, Akasa tattwa is difficult to grasp. To understand it better we

can analyze Sabda (sound), the tanmatra associated with Akasa

tattwa. Sabda is of two types…Anahata (imperceptible)and aahata

(perceptible). Similarly, Akasa tattwa can also be deemed to be of

two parts, one imperceptible and the other perceptible. Thus this

imperceptible Akasa tattwa was the first one to originate and its

function is to bind the ever expanding universe together.

Then comes vayu tattwa and it is mapped to Saturn, the planet

farthest from the Sun.

Now, why am I mapping tattwas from Saturn and not from Mercury?

My hunch is that Saturn is the oldest planet in the solar system,

because being the farthest from the Sun, it had better chances of

survival than any other planets closer to the Sun. Over the

millennia the rest of the solar system would have come into being

gradually. I would think that Jupiter is the next oldest planet and

this sequence can be correlated to the natural age sequence of the

planets too, and I think it works out fairly accurately.

Jupiter, personified Akasa tattwa, indicates perceptible sound or

Aahata. Brihaspati is also called Vaakpati, and presides over

vedas, while Saturn rules silence. I really do not know whether this

has been verified scientifically, but perhaps there is no perceptible

sound beyond Jupiter?

The combination of Jupiter and Saturn causes Brahma Yoga, where the

Anahata, or the imperceptible / internalized thought gets

articulated / externalized as action or Aahata.

From Vayu comes agni tattwa , and the planet next in hierarchy is

Mars, and then comes Venus, indicating Jala tattwa and finally

mercury, closest and the youngest, indicating prithvi tattwa. In this

way the pancha tattwas were assigned to the 5 planets, while Sun

rules over chetana and Moon lords Antah-karana.

Regards,

Lakshmi

varahamihira , <guruji@s...> wrote:

>

>

> Dear Hari

>

>

> Namaste,

>

are

> explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11

rudras and

> Indra & Prajapati.

>

mapped to a

> graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas and

nakshetras. My

> questions are:

>

> (a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets decided?

To

> explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8 planets

and 5

> tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the exclusion

logic

> based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to Earth shall

exert the

> maximum influence on the events happening on Earth? We know that

the force

> of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the

product of

> their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the

distance

> between the two bodies.

luminaries

> and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer boundary

formed by

> the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu are the nodes of

the

> Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU & KETU and we are only

interested

> in the nodes of the Moon, so they come into the picture due to the

mana

> karaka.

the

> quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some SJC

> astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.

>

five

> tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind of

> observation/logic was used here?

along with

> the sapta pancatmika tatva

>

> © why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the hierarchy of

> explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come

only after

> this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can we

explain why we

> chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember that Sanjay threw

a hint

> that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any link between the two?

Upagraha

> Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped from

zero Aries

> instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day which is the

hotest part.

> There must be a link to the death coming every 11 years..remember

the

> example I gave to prove the validity of the Nadi where the death

occured 11

> years at 59 years before the predicted date of 70 years.

>

greater

> detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know that a

list of the

> adityas is given in VRA.

> [sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and other

> standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the strongest

and

> younger brother of Surya and so on.

>

> regards

> Hari

>

>

> SR

Guest guest

Dear Lakshmi Ramesh,

Namaste. That was quite brilliant. Just a few comments and

questions, based on the logic you have posed to explain the original

question.

(1) The order of evolution of the tatwas mentioned by you is quite

logical. After all, OM is supposed to be the pranava akshara or the

primordial sound which originated with the birth of the universe.

Even on scientific lines, on the decreasing temperature scale, comes

steam (vayu), water (jala) and ice (prithvi).

(2)The modern theory of planetary formation is that the planets

basically form out of the swirling debris thrown out by the star. In

the beginning, the star is too hot and as it cools with time, the

planets get formed.

(3) Now according to the order of evolution given by you, akash

comes first. Why then did you start with vayu and map it to Saturn?

Basically, the planet mapping is chosen such that they have a single

predominant quantity of the tatva; it is not that they have only

this tatva and actually are a mixture of some or all the tatvas.

(4) Jupiter is the largest planet in the solar system; it is also a

gas giant as the 3 outer planets (Sa, Uranus and Neptune). It is not

possible for such a huge planet to be composed largely of gas unless

there be some strong binding force or Akash. Hence Akash is given to

Jupiter. Excluding Earth, only Venus has similar quantities of water

and hence is given Jala tatva. Then only Mars has a huge molten iron

core and hence a strong magnetic field similar to that of Earth. So

it is given Agni tatva. Now we have to decide on either Mercury or

Saturn to represent prithvi or vayu tatva. Since Saturn is already a

gas giant as noted earlier, it gets vayu tatva and ergo, Mercury

gets prithvi tatva. Based on todays state of observation, it is

quite logical but the key question remains the same as before: how

did our ancients reason this one out? Sanjay has given a hint here

but you are possibly better placed to explore this hint.

(5) Saturn may not be the oldest planet...the dictum is that when

crystals form, the one that formed first and was around for the

longest period of time is usually the biggest crystal. based on this

dictum, it is possible that Jupiter may in fact be the oldest

planet. The reason that Saturn is given the status of the old man is

because it is the slowest moving of all the grahas and also controls

the Ju-Sa cosmic timecycle within the solar system.

(6) Sanjay told that the boundary of the loka-loka is at the

outermost orbit of Saturn (geocentric motion)...so why did we decide

to stop the boundary there only and why not further onwards?

All in all, very interesting and look forward to comments.

regards

Hari

varahamihira , " B Lakshmi Ramesh "

<b_lakshmi_ramesh> wrote:

> Om Gurave Namah

>

> Namaste Hari,

>

> Your question was

>

five

> tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What kind

of

> observation/logic was used here?

>

> You have certainly posed a very interesting question, and here is

my

> humble attempt to understand the logic of allocation of pancha

> tattwas along with you. I hope for quite a few corrections from

all

> Gurus and other learned members of this forum.

>

> The Vishnu Purana and the SriMad Bhagavatham talk about genesis of

> the Universe. Prakriti is the First and from thence came Mahat-

> tattwa, from which the Ahamkara had originated.

>

> The Ahamkara (or the sense of self) has been further sub-divided

into

> the 3 Gunas, sattwa, Rajas and Tamoguna. While adhidevatas & Antah

> Karana form the sattwa guna, the karmendriyas and gyanendriyas

> comprise Rajoguna and the panchabhutas and tanmatras constitute

the

> Tamoguna.

>

> 1)I think the antah-karana would correspond to Chandra;

> 2)the energy principle latent in the working of all indriyas would

> correspond to Surya, as among the three sattwik planets, Sun is

the

> rajo guni, because he indicates creation;

> 3)and that leaves us with 5 planets and the pancha tattwas, which

are

> part of tamoguna.

>

> The puranas say that that the first tattwa to originate was the

> Akasa tattwa from which vaayu had originated and from vayu came

agni

> and from thence came Jala and finally from Jala we get prithvi

> tattwa.

>

> Now, Akasa tattwa is difficult to grasp. To understand it better

we

> can analyze Sabda (sound), the tanmatra associated with Akasa

> tattwa. Sabda is of two types…Anahata (imperceptible)and aahata

> (perceptible). Similarly, Akasa tattwa can also be deemed to be of

> two parts, one imperceptible and the other perceptible. Thus this

> imperceptible Akasa tattwa was the first one to originate and its

> function is to bind the ever expanding universe together.

>

> Then comes vayu tattwa and it is mapped to Saturn, the planet

> farthest from the Sun.

>

> Now, why am I mapping tattwas from Saturn and not from Mercury?

>

> My hunch is that Saturn is the oldest planet in the solar system,

> because being the farthest from the Sun, it had better chances of

> survival than any other planets closer to the Sun. Over the

> millennia the rest of the solar system would have come into being

> gradually. I would think that Jupiter is the next oldest planet

and

> this sequence can be correlated to the natural age sequence of the

> planets too, and I think it works out fairly accurately.

>

> Jupiter, personified Akasa tattwa, indicates perceptible sound or

> Aahata. Brihaspati is also called Vaakpati, and presides over

> vedas, while Saturn rules silence. I really do not know whether

this

> has been verified scientifically, but perhaps there is no

perceptible

> sound beyond Jupiter?

>

> The combination of Jupiter and Saturn causes Brahma Yoga, where

the

> Anahata, or the imperceptible / internalized thought gets

> articulated / externalized as action or Aahata.

>

> From Vayu comes agni tattwa , and the planet next in hierarchy is

> Mars, and then comes Venus, indicating Jala tattwa and finally

> mercury, closest and the youngest, indicating prithvi tattwa. In

this

> way the pancha tattwas were assigned to the 5 planets, while Sun

> rules over chetana and Moon lords Antah-karana.

>

> Regards,

> Lakshmi

>

>

>

>

> varahamihira , <guruji@s...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > ::Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya::

> > Dear Hari

> >

> > ||Om Brihaspataye Namah||

> >

> > Namaste,

> >

> > Yesterday I was reading the article 'Jyotish Foundation' in

which

> are

> > explained the 33 devas consisting of the 8 vasus, 12 adityas, 11

> rudras and

> > Indra & Prajapati.

> >

> > In the Asta Vasava, we have the pancha tatvas which in turn is

> mapped to a

> > graha or planet. So we have the luminaries, pancha tatvas and

> nakshetras. My

> > questions are:

> >

> > (a) How is the mapping of the pancha tatvas to the planets

decided?

> To

> > explain this further, excluding the luminaries, we have 8

planets

> and 5

> > tatvas and so we shall have to exclude 3 planets. Is the

exclusion

> logic

> > based on the hypothesis that the planets closest to Earth shall

> exert the

> > maximum influence on the events happening on Earth? We know that

> the force

> > of attraction between two bodies is directly proportional to the

> product of

> > their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the

> distance

> > between the two bodies.

> > [sanjay Rath:] This is a part of the sapta-pachatmika tatva.

> > Why do we have to exclude 3 planets?? There are 7 planets i.e.

> luminaries

> > and 5 grahas within the loka loka mountains (at the outer

boundary

> formed by

> > the geo-centric motion of saturn). Rahu and Ketu are the nodes

of

> the

> > Moon..realise that EVERY PLANET has a RAHU & KETU and we are

only

> interested

> > in the nodes of the Moon, so they come into the picture due to

the

> mana

> > karaka.

> > Yes we do, but can we say that such a motion is directly

afecting

> the

> > quality of our lives without any relevant studies...one day some

SJC

> > astrologer, maybe 50 years from now will be able to prove it.

> >

> > (b) Having determined that Mercury to Saturn shall represent the

> five

> > tatvas, how do we decide which planet gets which tatva? What

kind of

> > observation/logic was used here?

> > [sanjay Rath:] Good question - Sristi Karana may have the answer

> along with

> > the sapta pancatmika tatva

> >

> > © why only 11 rudras? I ask this question because the

hierarchy of

> > explanation of the article is such that the dwadasa adityas come

> only after

> > this. Suppose I dont know that there are 12 signs, how can we

> explain why we

> > chose this number of rudras to be 11? I remember that Sanjay

threw

> a hint

> > that the sunspot cycle is also 11 years. Any link between the

two?

> > [sanjay Rath:] The solar flare cycle is for 11 years..the first

> Upagraha

> > Dhooma is also the begining of the 11th naksatra (if mapped from

> zero Aries

> > instead of Sun) and represents the time of the day which is the

> hotest part.

> > There must be a link to the death coming every 11

years..remember

> the

> > example I gave to prove the validity of the Nadi where the death

> occured 11

> > years at 59 years before the predicted date of 70 years.

> >

> > (d) Is there any reference that explains the dwadasa adityas in

> greater

> > detail; how they were created and how do they act? I know that a

> list of the

> > adityas is given in VRA.

> > [sanjay Rath:] They are explained in detail in the Puranas and

other

> > standard literature..Vishnu is the purest, Indra is the

strongest

> and

> > younger brother of Surya and so on.

> >

> > regards

> > Hari

> >

> >

> > [sanjay Rath:] Best wishes

> > SR

Guest guest

Om Gurave Namah

Namaste Hari,

Well, the discussion seems to be getting more and more interesting. I’ll try to focus only on the areas of doubt and try to reason them out to the best of my ability and leave the rest to Guruji (don’t I always do that!) so that things would become clearer for both of us.

Now according to the order of evolution given by you, akash comes first. Why then did you start with vayu and map it to Saturn?

I am sure you’d recall that I spent some time in delineating sound as tanmatra of Akash tattwa. What I’d intended by that discussion is that that there is much more to akash tattwa and Jupiter himself than just the “physical” Jupiter. Among the Dasavataras, Sage Parasara assigned Vamana Avatara to Jupiter….which means that what we don’t see is much much bigger than what we see. Perhaps it is so vast that our limited comprehension can never fully grasp its cosmic dimensions.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway, I was talking about the inaudible part of sound…even when we pronounce an akshara, the beginning of the sound is supposed to be from nabhi. Like every thing else. But the sound becomes audible or perceptible only after it passes through an interface i.e., the vocal chords, and Saturn rules the visuddhi chakra, which is supposed to be located in the region of the throat, and governs speech.

So, sound comprises the final articulated sound as well as the silent gathering of vibrations before that. Now aren’t we discussing Brahma yoga here? That Jeeva, which is essentially imperceptible, acquires a body only after being touched by Saturn and then is born as an entity. If Jupiter is to manifest in a palpable, then Saturn is a mandatory interface. Both obstructing and facilitating. Take whichever signification you want, it's always true.

Saturn may not be the oldest planet...the dictum is that when crystals form, the one that formed first and was around for the longest period of time is usually the biggest crystal. based on this dictum, it is possible that Jupiter may in fact be the oldest planet. The reason that Saturn is given the status of the old man is because it is the slowest moving of all the grahas and also controls the Ju-Sa cosmic timecycle within the solar system.

I feel that the imperceptible akash tattwa, which was hitherto purely cosmic in nature, had coalesced into a visible planet and a tangible influence much later. And, I also continue to maintain that Jupiter is definitely younger to Saturn because he moves faster, and he is likened to Vamana, who is a child. Jupiter could have gone on gathering more and more girth, as he swallows up rotating asteroids etc because of the tremendous pull generated by his massive size coupled with great speed (though he’s so large, he’s supposed to be quite fast ). I bet, Jupiter of a million years back was much smaller than the Jupiter we see now. And the reason is, he doesn’t wear a belt around his belly like our austere Saturn J.

Based on todays state of observation, it is quite logical but the key question remains the same as before: how did our ancients reason this one out?

Today, we might have better physical implements, or so we might fancy, but the ancients had definitely much better faculties. Today we might pooh pooh many of their observations, but time and again the joke proved to be on us. They knew what they were talking about, thanks to their uncluttered and unlimited consciousness. They were truly universal. Even now, all those things are not impossible, provided ….

(6) Sanjay told that the boundary of the loka-loka is at the outermost orbit of Saturn (geocentric motion)...so why did we decide to stop the boundary there only and why not further onwards?

Yes, the boundary is only mythical and not physical. Shall we say that the loka-loka parvata is the insurmountable ahamkara (the sense of ‘I’). Once you overcome the buffetings of paanchabhoutika pulls and pushes, transcend the interplay of tri-gunas, you can peel back the layers of ahamkara and peep over the lip of the loka-loka at the Mahat-tattwa, which would contain a great confluence of innumerable tattwa-systems quite like ours…could be quite unlike ours too, yet not be a part of it.

Regards,

Lakshmi

P.S: I really don’t know if you’ve benefited from this conversation, I certainly did. Thanks a lot for the stimulating discussion.

Guest guest

Namaste Lakshmi,

Have you observed the lighting of a matchstick? It takes only one tiny spark to create a big flame. So also my question, posed in the physical scheme of things, was a tiny spark but look at the flame (discussion) it has created. Bottomline: both of us are benefited. It is just that the scientist in me is tangling with the Purana philosopher in you and the net result is this, :-).

My questions in blue. I need to think about this in greater detail. But nevertheless you have raised some very interesting points.

I feel that the imperceptible akash tattwa, which was hitherto purely cosmic in nature, had coalesced into a visible planet and a tangible influence much later. And, I also continue to maintain that Jupiter is definitely younger to Saturn because he moves faster, and he is likened to Vamana, who is a child. Jupiter could have gone on gathering more and more girth, as he swallows up rotating asteroids etc because of the tremendous pull generated by his massive size coupled with great speed (though he’s so large, he’s supposed to be quite fast ). I bet, Jupiter of a million years back was much smaller than the Jupiter we see now. And the reason is, he doesn’t wear a belt around his belly like our austere Saturn J.

I cannot agree with this. Just because a planet rotates very fast doesnt mean that it is young compared to the other planet. Look at the data for Ju and Sa. Period of rotation for Ju is 9h 50 m while that of Saturn is 10h 14 m. Not much of a difference, you will agree. As for size, planetary ratio diameter (relative to that of Earth) for Ju & Sa are 11.2 and 9.4. In other words, gravitational pull is not much of a factor given that they are primarily gas giants.

Yes, the boundary is only mythical and not physical. Shall we say that the loka-loka parvata is the insurmountable ahamkara (the sense of ‘I’). Once you overcome the buffetings of paanchabhoutika pulls and pushes, transcend the interplay of tri-gunas, you can peel back the layers of ahamkara and peep over the lip of the loka-loka at the Mahat-tattwa, which would contain a great confluence of innumerable tattwa-systems quite like ours…could be quite unlike ours too, yet not be a part of it.

Sanjay, do you agree with this? If we were to transcend the panchatatvas, would we see this? I dont think that the boundary is purely mythical. Have a look at the data below (1 AU = distance of Earth from Sun)and you can see that there is a BIG gap between Saturn and Uranus!

Sun

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

Pluto

regards

Hari

Search - Find what you’re looking for faster.

Guest guest

Jaya Jagannatha

Dear Laksmi,

I hope you never miss the factor of Density too.

Karu

-

lakshmi ramesh

varahamihira

Tuesday, March 02, 2004 6:11 AM

|Sri Varaha| Re:Jyotish Foundation

Om Gurave Namah Namaste Hari,

Well, the discussion seems to be getting more and more interesting. I’ll try to focus only on the areas of doubt and try to reason them out to the best of my ability and leave the rest to Guruji (don’t I always do that!) so that things would become clearer for both of us.

Now according to the order of evolution given by you, akash comes first. Why then did you start with vayu and map it to Saturn?

I am sure you’d recall that I spent some time in delineating sound as tanmatra of Akash tattwa. What I’d intended by that discussion is that that there is much more to akash tattwa and Jupiter himself than just the “physical” Jupiter. Among the Dasavataras, Sage Parasara assigned Vamana Avatara to Jupiter….which means that what we don’t see is much much bigger than what we see. Perhaps it is so vast that our limited comprehension can never fully grasp its cosmic dimensions.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway, I was talking about the inaudible part of sound…even when we pronounce an akshara, the beginning of the sound is supposed to be from nabhi. Like every thing else. But the sound becomes audible or perceptible only after it passes through an interface i.e., the vocal chords, and Saturn rules the visuddhi chakra, which is supposed to be located in the region of the throat, and governs speech.

So, sound comprises the final articulated sound as well as the silent gathering of vibrations before that. Now aren’t we discussing Brahma yoga here? That Jeeva, which is essentially imperceptible, acquires a body only after being touched by Saturn and then is born as an entity. If Jupiter is to manifest in a palpable, then Saturn is a mandatory interface. Both obstructing and facilitating. Take whichever signification you want, it's always true.

Saturn may not be the oldest planet...the dictum is that when crystals form, the one that formed first and was around for the longest period of time is usually the biggest crystal. based on this dictum, it is possible that Jupiter may in fact be the oldest planet. The reason that Saturn is given the status of the old man is because it is the slowest moving of all the grahas and also controls the Ju-Sa cosmic timecycle within the solar system.

Based on todays state of observation, it is quite logical but the key question remains the same as before: how did our ancients reason this one out?

Today, we might have better physical implements, or so we might fancy, but the ancients had definitely much better faculties. Today we might pooh pooh many of their observations, but time and again the joke proved to be on us. They knew what they were talking about, thanks to their uncluttered and unlimited consciousness. They were truly universal. Even now, all those things are not impossible, provided ….

(6) Sanjay told that the boundary of the loka-loka is at the outermost orbit of Saturn (geocentric motion)...so why did we decide to stop the boundary there only and why not further onwards?

Regards,

Lakshmi

P.S: I really don’t know if you’ve benefited from this conversation, I certainly did. Thanks a lot for the stimulating discussion.

Get better spam protection with Mail |Om Tat Sat|http://www.varahamihira