IndiaDivine.org

RE: Ishta-Devta for Mars and a Story from Uddhava Gita

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Shubhangi (and Hari),

We are taught in our parampara that the the ultimate goal is the paramam padam or Vishnu. In order to relieve the burden of our sins and lead us towards moksha; to forgive and protect us at all times; the one in whom we take sharana in our darkest hour, is the Ishta Devata. We always worship the Ishta Devata as Vishnu in one of the dasavatar forms as only Vishnu will lead us to moksha, as he is the ultimate end or satya. The mantras we use for Ishta Devata prarthana is from the Bhagavat Purana with prefixes of Om Namo Bhagavate...In your case, Mars as Ishta Devata indicates Nrisimhadeva and the Ishta Mantra for the same is Om Namo Bhagavate Nrisimhadevaya.

Mars when otherwise indicating deities in any of the charts, can represent Kartikeya, Hanuman or Chamunda. Usually women don't worship Kartikeya, the God of War, although Subramania Swamy is greatly revered in the south. Hanuman is very much worshippable as he removes all 'sankata' and removes ugra mangala doshas. Chamunda, the presiding deity of the Devi Mahatmya, is the goddess who sits in our hearts and who has the utimate power to deliver even the most tortured souls roaming the universe. She is the great goddess whom Rama worshipped with the Chamunda Hrdaya mantra (a navarna mantra which Rama transformed into a dasakshari by adding pranava) immediately prior to embarking on his final battle with Ravana. She is trigunatmika, very pure and supremely divine and she is not associated with black magic. That her immense powers are invoked for tamasik practices is another matter. For that matter even Dakshinamurty and Dattatreya are invoked for black magic practices. In fact the Dattatreya Tantra is one of the worst in such matters.

Let me share a story with all of you from the Uddhava Gita. Krishna says that there are three methods of worship. The first is Satvik, where the focus is entirely on Krishna (read: Supreme Being in any form) and is utterly without any purpose or selfish motivation. The second is Rajasik, where the worship is motivated for selfish purposes be it siddhi, moksha, wealth, knowledge etc. and the final type is Tamasik, where the worship is motivated for selfish purposes along with the intention of harming or causing injury to another. Ishta Devata worship can never be anything else but Satvik...and for that matter all other worships as well.

Best Regards,

Sarbani

Shubhangi Naik [shubhangi_naik] Monday, May 17, 2004 11:11 AMvedic astrology Subject: [vedic astrology] Ishta-Devta for Mars

Dear Sirs,I have been reading all the mails on Ishta-devtas and Atmakarakas.I have some queries and concerns regarding ishta-devta for planet Mars.I understand that hanuman,kartikeya,chamunda-devi and narsimha all represents mars – except kartikeya all 3 are married in their respective original forms.All of them except kartikey are incarnations of :Hanuman - shiva Chamunda - gauri/parvati Narsimha - vishnu Generally Hanuman is not advised because he never married and is a celibate. If this be than even rest 3 were not married and also the incarnation was with specific objective or purpose. I pray hanuman as a representation of mars because know much of hanuman who is worshiped all over India but have little or no knowledge or information about kartikeya who is more so famous in south as Subramaniym or Chamunda-devi i know for sure that her name is used while performing some evil/black-magic kind of and Narsimha is the one who came to rescue bhakt pralhad.. Also except for hanuman who is also symbolised as "das" and who assisted Rama to attain his objective..the others are warrior gods... Generally one would advise to pray kartikeya, chamunda and narsimha...but how is it possible to pray all for one Mars (since all of them represents mars) and it would only mean thinking on whether we are praying to a right devta or not.I request the members to help me clarify my doubts and concerns.I am enclosing my birth-chart for reference if need be.Is simply praying ishta-devta and regularly performing pooja enough or one needs to recite mantras also? If mantras are necessary, may I request to recommend a mantra to me?I await your response.Thanking you.Regards Shubhangi Archives: vedic astrologyGroup info: vedic astrology/info.htmlTo UNSUBSCRIBE: Blank mail to vedic astrology-....... May Jupiter's light shine on us .......

Guest guest

||Om Brihaspataye Namah||

Dear Sarbani,

I agree with your point. However I would like to clarify whether the mantra you advised for Shubhangi ie., Om Namo Bhagavate Nrisimhadevaya is dwadasakshari or not; it appears to have thirteen aksharas.

Secondly, I am also surprised when you say that generally women dont worship Murugan or Lord Subramania Swamy...in the South, for many families, Muruga is usually the kula devata and hence women also worship him.

Thirdly I understand from your email that worship of Chamundi is also satvik so why not give a choice and leave it to the person to choose as per his/her wishes. Your stand, while justified, is rather rigid and leaves no choice for the person to choose his/her istadevata in the pantheon of Hindu deities.

regards

HariSarbani Sarkar <sarbani wrote:

We are taught in our parampara that the the ultimate goal is the paramam padam or Vishnu. In order to relieve the burden of our sins and lead us towards moksha; to forgive and protect us at all times; the one in whom we take sharana in our darkest hour, is the Ishta Devata. We always worship the Ishta Devata as Vishnu in one of the dasavatar forms as only Vishnu will lead us to moksha, as he is the ultimate end or satya. The mantras we use for Ishta Devata prarthana is from the Bhagavat Purana with prefixes of Om Namo Bhagavate...In your case, Mars as Ishta Devata indicates Nrisimhadeva and the Ishta Mantra for the same is Om Namo Bhagavate Nrisimhadevaya.

Mars when otherwise indicating deities in any of the charts, can represent Kartikeya, Hanuman or Chamunda. Usually women don't worship Kartikeya, the God of War, although Subramania Swamy is greatly revered in the south. Hanuman is very much worshippable as he removes all 'sankata' and removes ugra mangala doshas. Chamunda, the presiding deity of the Devi Mahatmya, is the goddess who sits in our hearts and who has the utimate power to deliver even the most tortured souls roaming the universe. She is the great goddess whom Rama worshipped with the Chamunda Hrdaya mantra (a navarna mantra which Rama transformed into a dasakshari by adding pranava) immediately prior to embarking on his final battle with Ravana. She is trigunatmika, very pure and supremely divine and she is not associated with black magic. That her immense powers are invoked for tamasik practices is another

matter. For that matter even Dakshinamurty and Dattatreya are invoked for black magic practices. In fact the Dattatreya Tantra is one of the worst in such matters.

Let me share a story with all of you from the Uddhava Gita. Krishna says that there are three methods of worship. The first is Satvik, where the focus is entirely on Krishna (read: Supreme Being in any form) and is utterly without any purpose or selfish motivation. The second is Rajasik, where the worship is motivated for selfish purposes be it siddhi, moksha, wealth, knowledge etc. and the final type is Tamasik, where the worship is motivated for selfish purposes along with the intention of harming or causing injury to another. Ishta Devata worship can never be anything else but Satvik...and for that matter all other worships as well.

Best Regards,

Sarbani

Shubhangi Naik [shubhangi_naik] Monday, May 17, 2004 11:11 AMvedic astrology Subject: [vedic astrology] Ishta-Devta for Mars

Dear Sirs,I have been reading all the mails on Ishta-devtas and Atmakarakas.I have some queries and concerns regarding ishta-devta for planet Mars.I understand that hanuman,kartikeya,chamunda-devi and narsimha all represents mars – except kartikeya all 3 are married in their respective original forms.All of them except kartikey are incarnations of :Hanuman - shiva Chamunda - gauri/parvati Narsimha - vishnu Generally Hanuman is not advised because he never married and is a celibate. If this be than even rest 3 were not married and also the incarnation was with specific objective or purpose. I pray hanuman as a representation of mars because know much of hanuman who is worshiped all over India but have little or no knowledge or information about kartikeya who is more so famous in south as Subramaniym or Chamunda-devi i know for sure that her name is used while performing some evil/black-magic kind of and Narsimha is

the one who came to rescue bhakt pralhad.. Also except for hanuman who is also symbolised as "das" and who assisted Rama to attain his objective..the others are warrior gods... Generally one would advise to pray kartikeya, chamunda and narsimha...but how is it possible to pray all for one Mars (since all of them represents mars) and it would only mean thinking on whether we are praying to a right devta or not.I request the members to help me clarify my doubts and concerns.I am enclosing my birth-chart for reference if need be.Is simply praying ishta-devta and regularly performing pooja enough or one needs to recite mantras also? If mantras are necessary, may I request to recommend a mantra to me?I await your response.Thanking you.Regards Shubhangi Archives: vedic astrologyGroup info: vedic astrology/info.htmlTo UNSUBSCRIBE: Blank mail to vedic astrology-....... May Jupiter's light shine on us ....... Archives: vedic astrologyGroup info: vedic astrology/info.htmlTo UNSUBSCRIBE: Blank mail to

vedic astrology-....... May Jupiter's light shine on us .......

SBC - Internet access at a great low price.

Guest guest

Dear Hari,

1. The dvadasakshari is Om Namo Bhagavate Narasimhaya. There is another beautiful mantra but as there some objections on VA list, I will not post it there; but maybe I will post it on Varahamihira.

2. Please quote me the shastra or purana which says Kartikeya is married.

3. This is not my view, but what we follow at SJC. The ultimate goal is Vishnu...sarva deva namaskara keshava pratigachhati. But we feel that everyone is not ready to worship the ultimate. You begin somewhere; and you can begin with any deity but you will end up with Vishnu. The beginning depends on one's spiritual development. Also Shubhnagi does not specifically have a Vhamunda yoga: for that you need either Venus in 5th, or Mars and Venus together or Mars, Venus and Rahu together. More later in mail to Shubhnagi.

Bets regards,

Sarbani

Hari M [onlyhari] Monday, May 17, 2004 5:19 PMSarbani Sarkar; 'Shubhangi Naik'; vedic astrology Cc: varahamihira Subject: |Sri Varaha| Re: [vedic astrology] RE: Ishta-Devta for Mars and a Story from Uddhava Gita

||Om Brihaspataye Namah||

Dear Sarbani,

I agree with your point. However I would like to clarify whether the mantra you advised for Shubhangi ie., Om Namo Bhagavate Nrisimhadevaya is dwadasakshari or not; it appears to have thirteen aksharas.

Secondly, I am also surprised when you say that generally women dont worship Murugan or Lord Subramania Swamy...in the South, for many families, Muruga is usually the kula devata and hence women also worship him.

Thirdly I understand from your email that worship of Chamundi is also satvik so why not give a choice and leave it to the person to choose as per his/her wishes. Your stand, while justified, is rather rigid and leaves no choice for the person to choose his/her istadevata in the pantheon of Hindu deities.

regards

HariSarbani Sarkar <sarbani wrote:

Mars when otherwise indicating deities in any of the charts, can represent Kartikeya, Hanuman or Chamunda. Usually women don't worship Kartikeya, the God of War, although Subramania Swamy is greatly revered in the south. Hanuman is very much worshippable as he removes all 'sankata' and removes ugra mangala doshas. Chamunda, the presiding deity of the Devi Mahatmya, is the goddess who sits in our hearts and who has the utimate power to deliver even the most tortured souls roaming the universe. She is the great goddess whom Rama worshipped with the Chamunda Hrdaya mantra (a navarna mantra which Rama transformed into a dasakshari by adding pranava) immediately prior to embarking on his final battle with Ravana. She is trigunatmika, very pure and supremely divine and she is not associated with black magic. That her immense powers are invoked for tamasik practices is another matter. For that matter even Dakshinamurty and Dattatreya are invoked for black magic practices. In fact the Dattatreya Tantra is one of the worst in such matters.

Best Regards,

Sarbani

Dear Sirs,I have been reading all the mails on Ishta-devtas and Atmakarakas.I have some queries and concerns regarding ishta-devta for planet Mars.I understand that hanuman,kartikeya,chamunda-devi and narsimha all represents mars except kartikeya all 3 are married in their respective original forms.All of them except kartikey are incarnations of :Hanuman - shiva Chamunda - gauri/parvati Narsimha - vishnu Generally Hanuman is not advised because he never married and is a celibate. If this be than even rest 3 were not married and also the incarnation was with specific objective or purpose. I pray hanuman as a representation of mars because know much of hanuman who is worshiped all over India but have little or no knowledge or information about kartikeya who is more so famous in south as Subramaniym or Chamunda-devi i know for sure that her name is used while performing some evil/black-magic kind of and Narsimha is the one who came to rescue bhakt pralhad.. Also except for hanuman who is also symbolised as "das" and who assisted Rama to attain his objective..the others are warrior gods... Generally one would advise to pray kartikeya, chamunda and narsimha...but how is it possible to pray all for one Mars (since all of them represents mars) and it would only mean thinking on whether we are praying to a right devta or not.I request the members to help me clarify my doubts and concerns.I am enclosing my birth-chart for reference if need be.Is simply praying ishta-devta and regularly performing pooja enough or one needs to recite mantras also? If mantras are necessary, may I request to recommend a mantra to me?I await your response.Thanking you.Regards Shubhangi Archives: vedic astrologyGroup info: vedic astrology/info.htmlTo UNSUBSCRIBE: Blank mail to vedic astrology-....... May Jupiter's light shine on us ....... Archives: vedic astrologyGroup info: vedic astrology/info.htmlTo UNSUBSCRIBE: Blank mail to vedic astrology-....... May Jupiter's light shine on us .......

SBC - Internet access at a great low price. |Om Tat Sat|http://www.varahamihira