IndiaDivine.org

RE: Mantra Glossary

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

|om |

Dear JK

Of course. The sambandha is to be seen with the mantra Devatä.

That is why there is a wonderful dictum that any mantra of Krishna does need checking as this is Kali Yuga. The devatä is friendly to all...even to His enemies He gives mukti...thats the *heights of greatness*.

Point is whether a bija is taken as a devata then what happens :)

With best wishes and warm regards,

Sanjay Rath

Sri Jagannath Center®

15B Gangaram Hospital Road

New Delhi 110060, India

http://srath.com, +91-11-25717162

-------------------This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com

jk.dasgupta [jk.dasgupta] Friday, June 17, 2005 1:42 PMSanjay RathRe: Mantra Glossary

Pranam Sanjayji,

I sent this mail to the list. But may be it has missed yr attention. Plz clear my doubts.

Best regards

jk

jk.dasgupta [jk.dasgupta]Wednesday, June 08, 2005 2:04 PM Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

Namaskar Sanjayji,

Do you mean that we have to take the 1st letter of the mantra devata.. irrespective of the samputita bijas before it? i had the idea that except "Om", 1st letter of any other bija placed before - was to be considered. For example, "OM aim hreem kleem chaamuNDaayai vichche". I thought that "Ai" would be the letter to be considered for selection, but as per yr teaching now.. it should be "Cha". Am i getting it right?

Best regards

jk

On Behalf Of Sanjay RathWednesday, June 08, 2005 12:37 AM Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

Jaya Jagannatha

Dear Supriti

Mantras which start with hrIM or huM are not bad and this is not the basis for deciding the good or bad of the mantra. It is the mantra devata. For example take the most auspicious mantra for shiva as Guru -

om haMsaH krauM sadaashivagurave namaH

Now if you take haM from haMsaH and try it with 'sa' from Supriti then it will not show good results. But if you take sa from sadaashiva and sa from Supriti then it is good (not best). So what do we learn from this? That -

1. the mantra 'haMsaH' will not suit you as the mantra devata is 'haMsa' and the first akshara is 'ha'

2. the mantra 'om haMsaH krauM sadaashivagurave namaH' will suit you as the namakshara of the mantra devata is in harmony with your manas.

With best wishes and warm regards,

Sanjay Rath

PS VRA team for FAQ

Sri Jagannath Center®

15B Gangaram Hospital Road

New Delhi 110060, India

http://srath.com, +91-11-25717162

Supriti Majumdar [supriti15] Tuesday, June 07, 2005 3:54 PM Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

|Om Namo Bhagawate Vaasudevaaya Namah|

Dear Sarbani and learned Gurus,

I have been reading Guruji's VRA. It refers to the Akathaha chakra. My question is: My name starts with S and my Nakshatra is Bharani. So Ha and Ka fall in the Ari column both by name letter and nakshatra letter. Are mantras that start with the beeja Hlim, Klim, Krim amd Hrim suitable for me. If not, is it ok to change the beeja mantra to a more suitable one.

Sincerely,

SupritiSarbani Sarkar <sarbani wrote:

Om Namastrivikramaya

Dear Swee,

Which lesson of Sanjayji's are you referring to here? I don't remember any in the west coast! Nevertheless, let me try to answer your question. I think there are multiple ways to determine when to choose a female form. I will mention a few brief points quickly.

1. One simple basic method is to look at the 5th house in the rashi chart. If the planet placed there or its lord are feminine, or if the sign of the house is a feminine or an even sign, then it will indicate that you will be attracted to female deities and the worship of such deities will be beneficial for you. You will have to take into your assessment the aspects as well. We have some indications by which we determine the form. You can take Harihara's classification as a guideline here. Like, Martian influences on female deities indicate Chamunda and her forms. Saturn indicates Kali. Rahu indicates Durga. A Martian form of Venus may indicate the particular form of Lakshmi, like Kanakdhara etc.

2. The Moon per se, associated with your house of worship, your AK, Karakamsha etc. indicates the devi. If exalted, and well placed and aspected, more so. The phase of the Moon and the tithi can indicate the precise form of the deity. The dark half is usually reserved for more ugra rupas while the bright half indicates more saumya rupas. It is said the full Moon is like Tripura while Amavasya is like Kali. Saguna and Nirguna. And so on. :)

3. The deity for Palana Devata that is the 6th from the Amatyakaraka in the navamsha, is always a female deity, for who else but the mother does palana, or nurtures us?

4. When seeking for a direction in life, while groping for the right gati, who else but the mother to show you the right gati?

5. For those with troubled minds, afflicted Moon...see in the chart if devi worship is suitable, the prescribe such mantras.

6. For those in whose charts, the Moon indicates a blessing, enhance that blessing with worship of the Divine Mother.

7. For siddhis, nothing like the mahavidyas, but only if you know how. Also, when there is some great affliction/problem in the chart, only an ugra rupa of the devi can remove such problems. No one burns our sins better than Kali. But so does Krishna. So many say Kali and Krishna are supposed to be the one and the same. The Krim and Klim bijas. No one controls Rahu better than Durga. Remember Rama worshipped Chamunda before going to war.

8. The Moon is the Mother. If she reveals herself in the chart, then I suppose we should jolly well worship her, in the form she appears. The Moon shows the direction of the mind. If wrong, the Mother can put it on the right track. On the track of moksha marga.

Best regards,

Sarbani

On Behalf Of Swee ChanSaturday, June 04, 2005 7:25 PM ; Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

Jaya Jagannatha

Dear Sarbani,

Namaste

Thank you for the extensive explanation. However, I have one more q:

When do you decide if the feminine form works better for you? Sanjay ji had a quick lesson on that one in the West Coast Conference; as I have too many to sift through, can you please give us a recap?

Thanks so much.

Love,

Sweep/s I love the green colour, it’s so peaceful.

On Behalf Of Sarbani SarkarSaturday, June 04, 2005 2:45 PM ; Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

Shri Brahmadaru Smarami

Dear Swee,

Trying to answer your queries :).

1. Nashini is from 'nasha' meaning to destroy. Nashini is one who destroys in the feminine gender. By itself it is not so commonly used; but it is used more as a suffix. For example, Durgatinashini (Dur (bad, evil) + Gati (direction, movement) + Nashini (destroyer in feminine gender) is one who destroys our bad/wrong gatis or directions in life. It is an adjective as well as a name of the Divine Mother. Compositely, it also means one who destroys all troubles. Similarly, you can have Kulanashini, or one who destroys the kula. Or Sarvarishtanashini, that is one who destroys all the arishtas. Hence the mantra devata of this mantra is a female deity.

2. Hum is not kavacha here (I think you are thinking of the nyasas :)). It is the kurcha bija and is used for damana or suppression. Phat is an astra or weapon. Together, 'hum phat' is used to empower the mantra further. As it is, the mantra is for the control of all evils and obstacles that is directed at oneself. With hum you are able to suppress the evils/obstacles and with phat, fight them. It makes the mantra more potent. In mantra shastra terminology they make a mantra more fiery (aagneya or raudra mantras).

3. Each bija has multiple names. So Svaha, the wife of Agni is called vahnijaya. Vahni is another name for Agni.

4. Similarly, Shrim bija has multiple names including Ramaa (wife of Vishnu) bija, Lakshmi bija etc. Shri is Lakshmi herself, and dwells in the heart of Vishnu. The colour of lotus for Lakshmi? I suppose that depends on the form. Pink for Lakshmi, White/Blue for Kamalatmika and so on. In season, Jagannath is adorned with lotus garlands and flowers. Lotus is the symbol of the heart-lotus. Who, but Narayan sits there!

5. The dhyana mantra for this ganapati mantra is common irrespective of the bijas. You can use the same dhyana as the one for the mantra you mentioned.

Best Regards,

Sarbani

On Behalf Of Swee ChanFriday, June 03, 2005 10:38 PM ; Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

Om Gurave Namah

Dear Sarbani,

Namaste

More q’s:

For Nashini, is she one of the Yoginis? Please detail her role.

Aristha – is argumentative for me. Foes or enemies or evils are all the same word (perhaps lost in the translation), after all, it is Shiva (who is tamasic in the mantra approach).

For the removals of enemies or people in opposition, hum (kavacha) phaT is the addition. What do you mean by astra? Also, which war did Ganapati fight and which weapon?

Which word is vahni in this case? For Rama, it is Ra

Shrim – the Lotus Kamalaa of Lakshmi. Which colour flower would you recommend?

Can you detail this including the meditation: Om gam glaum ganapataye vara varade sarva janamme vashamanaya hum phat svaha

Thanks so much,

Love,

Swee

On Behalf Of Sarbani SarkarFriday, June 03, 2005 6:26 PM ; Subject: RE: [Jaya Jagannatha] RE: [Om Krishna Guru] Re: Mantra Glossary

Om namastrivikramaya

Dear Julli and Swee,

Just adding one or two fine tuning points to these discussions. In the first

mantra, 'sarvarishtanashini', that is sarva + arishta+ nashini. Sarva is

all; arishta is troubles, evils, nashini is one who destroys in the feminine

gender, implying the invocations is to a female deity.

The second mantra is a powerful and well known Ganapati mantra for removing

all oppositions and enmity. The addition of bijas (Juli, these are seed

syllables, power packed and pregnant with meaning; it can represent the

divine itself) to mantras is a complex procedure and has a whole science

behind it. Simply put, 'shrim' is the Ramaa bija or Lakshmivanita. Shrim is

a mantra by itself for Lakshmi. And much more. Shrim is a complete universe.

This Ganapati mantra appears with different combinations of bijas. One form

commonly used, (I have heard both South Indian and Oriya priests use it, as

well as it is there in several books) is this:

Om gam glaum ganapataye vara varade sarva janamme vashamanaya hum phat svaha

Gam and glaum are both bijas while hum and phat are astras or weapons

indicating the power of this mantra. Svaha is your offering. Svaha is the

wife of Agni, and is known as Vahnijaya. (Vahni is fire, jaya is wife).

Best regards,

Sarbani

Om sante sante sarvarista nasini svaha

Om (shanti) peace, peace, peace, the destroyer of all foes, (not an any

particular form; all forms/formless), svaha - the deva that accepts this

fire offering from you, who are offering this with your complete humility.

Om srim gam saumya ganapataye vara varada sarvajanam me vasamanaya svaha

om shrim ( the consort of Shambhu etc adorned with ) hrim saumya (Moon in

the crest; suamya, the amrita) ganapataye (ganesha in the dative) vara

varada (the daily granter of boons) sarvajanam (all forms in his name) me

vasamanaya (bring them all under my control) svaha (is the vahnipriya)

The Ganeshna mantra from Narada Purana III.67 is slightly different:

Om shrim hrim klim (remover of curses) glaum Ganapataye vara varada

sarvajanam me vashamanaya svaha

The sage is Ganaka (place this on the head) The metre is Gayatri (on the

face) The presiding deity is Ganesha (on the heart) The bija are the Six

shaktis beginning with a and the application of the mantra is for the

propitiation of Mahaganapati (bijas in the private parts and the feet)

When offering the prayer, it should really end with "namah" and when you

offer the agni hotra (after 1/10 of the amount to be offered), after each

mantra, close with svaha and make the offerings into the fire.

The mudra is that of Shiva to be placed in six of the limbs etc. Let you

Guru help you with the rest.

Hope this helps

Love,

Swee

Blessings,

Julli

, "Swee Chan" <swee@c...> wrote:

> Om Gurave Namah

>

> Dear Juli,

>

> Replies below:

>

> Om Namo Narayanaya

>

> I would like to understand various words in the mantras that I come

across,

> like Vara,

> (The day of the week. Somavar is Monday, Mangalvar- Tuesday etc.

>

> > Varada,

> Mahavishnu- the granter of boons

>

> >Janam,

> (Sanskrit - Janma) Birth - your birth sign where your Moon is placed

>

> >Me,

> (say "may"- unto me)

> Vasham,

> You mean vacham - the part of speech. In Srimad Bhagavatam Canto 3,

Ch 12.28

> Vak was born from Brahma's body who attracted his mind to be

sexually

> inclined, even though she was not attracted to him. But I am

inclined to say

> that vacham is connected to another word which you have

disconnected here.

>

> Aanaya,

> Don't know

>

> Jatavesase,

> Jatu - vesa - se - In his black form (Krishna)

>

> Sarvarishta,

> Sarve- arishta - a destroyer of all foes (enemies)

>

> > Nashini, etc.

> Without form.

>

> Love,

>

> Swee

>

> >

> > Thanks,

> >

> > Julli

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ~ om tat sat ~

> Thank you for maintaining the decorum of the Achyuta Ashram.

> Reminders: (1) Recite the Shadakshari Mantra 'Hare Rama Krishna'

> (2) Try to become Vegetarian - remember Akbar the Great who said

that the

> human stomach should not become a graveyard for animals.

> (3) Practise charity in thought and deed - do one free chart

reading today

>