IndiaDivine.org

The Mahabharat is mythological', said Gandhi! BURN the treatises?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hare Rama Krishna,

Dear Prihviraj Kanade,Namaskar!

("Burn the treatises on Gita, which do not acknowledge Lord Krishna to > be the Supreme God.' - Gurudev, Dr. Kaate Swami ji (Ghangarjit, > January 2006)"

Some 1,600 years ago some 20,000 enraged christian zealots(mostly monks from the Sinai desert)descended on Alexandria,Egypt and burned the wonder of Antiquiy ,the Great Alexandrian Library to the ground. At that Library, Hindu, Buddhist,Egyptian,Christian teachers, Greek philosophers taught,debated,studied in an open environment. This extraordinary Library draw students,physicians from all corners of the Ancient world. It has contained hundreds of thousand of manuscripts, ranging from astronomy, astrology,medicine,philosophy, botany etc.

The leader of the "Book burning" mob was called Peter the Reader, an intoxicated christian monk from the Sinai desert. (Strange though, a quirk of history: Peter the "Reader" was illiterate!!!- according to scholars). So, some 20,000 of them descended on Alexandria and burnt the whole place down, with all the manuscripts and ancient knowledge.(Hypatia, the great Philosopher-Lady, who taught at the University was dragged by her hair and butchered (literally)- inside a church. I spare you the details...it was gruesome even by modern standards!Incidentally,the Great Library was burning continously for 6 weeks!So you can imagine the amount of material there....

Ah, humans like to burn- everything which does't agree with them...This was the greatest unprecedented destruction of Antiqity.But, there were more to follow. At the muslim takover of egypt, what was left over was used for heating for public bath houses (can you imagine ancient astrological treatises from Babylon used for fuel?). India is of course very familiar with the devastation, burning, massacres and destruction which was perpetrated by the Invading armies from the west. Much, much was lost again.Extraordinary losses occured in cultural, spritual property, not to mention the genocide which was perpetrated on Hindu/Buddhist India of the time.

In the middle ages in Europe, book burning was a favourite past time of the Roman Catholic Church. Millions of books,manuscripts ( and people!) were burnt,publicly. The reason? These books did't agree with the authorities in power at the time.

Within recent memory,(1950s and 1960s) Mao's troops, Red Guards and outright thugs descended on Tibet and DESTROYED 5,000 +monasteries, monastic libraries, publicly burning ancient handwritten books(including many Indian manuscripts-which was spirited away from India, at a previous bookburning episode-in 12th-13h centuries).Some 1.5 million Tibetan people were killed in the process. (They were "liberated" by the way-according to current propaganda).

Bookburning maybe part of other religions, "isms",current fads,political parties etc, but I don't believe that it is part of Sanathana Dharma.

I become vary sad,when I encounter opinions and (perhaps symbolical) incitments to "BURN BOOKS,Treatises.

Gandhiji is not here anymore to answer for himself...I or anyone can't answer for him either. If you disagree with him, then I recommend to put the book down and walk on.... For heaven's sake don't burn.

With deep respect:

Arpadhsohamsa , "prithviraj_kanade" <prithviraj_kanade wrote:>> Gandhi's picture where he is dressed in a loincloth, with a copy of > the Bhagwad Gita at his side - is a common sight throughout India. > Gandhi did not accept Sri Krishna as God, but as a man with > exceptional qualities.> > Gandhi believed that Mahabhaharat was a work of fiction and that it > did not actually take place. He said, 'Pandav's and Kaurav's are in > reality the conflict between good and bad tendencies within us. > Pandav's are the good tendencies and Kauravs, the bad ones',> > In the Eleventh Chapter of Gita, it is said that Lord Krishna shows > His formidable form to Arjuna. According to Gandhi this chapter was > interpolated, meaning that it was not there in the original Gita and > that someone appended it later. The same Gandhi, it is said, > discovered 'Yoga of non-attachment' from the same Bhagwad Gita! It > is said that he discovered Satyagraha from Gita as well!> > Burn the treatises on Gita, which do not acknowledge Lord Krishna to > be the Supreme God.' - Gurudev, Dr. Kaate Swami ji (Ghangarjit, > January 2006)> Read more about Gandhism against Hinduism at :> http://www.hindujagruti.org/activities/campaigns/national/gandhi/>

Guest guest

Dear Arpad,

That is a wonderful reply and beautiful way to make someone understand.I couldnt have agreed more with you.

Kind regards,

Hamendra

On 29 Mar 2007 19:06:24 -0700, Arpad Joo <panchasila wrote:

Hare Rama Krishna,

Dear Prihviraj Kanade,Namaskar!

( " Burn the treatises on Gita, which do not acknowledge Lord Krishna to > be the Supreme God.' - Gurudev, Dr. Kaate Swami ji (Ghangarjit, > January 2006) "

Some 1,600 years ago some 20,000 enraged christian zealots(mostly monks from the Sinai desert)descended on Alexandria,Egypt and burned the wonder of Antiquiy ,the Great Alexandrian Library to the ground. At that Library, Hindu, Buddhist,Egyptian,Christian teachers, Greek philosophers taught,debated,studied in an open environment. This extraordinary Library draw students,physicians from all corners of the Ancient world. It has contained hundreds of thousand of manuscripts, ranging from astronomy, astrology,medicine,philosophy, botany etc.

The leader of the " Book burning " mob was called Peter the Reader, an intoxicated christian monk from the Sinai desert. (Strange though, a quirk of history: Peter the " Reader " was illiterate!!!- according to scholars). So, some 20,000 of them descended on Alexandria and burnt the whole place down, with all the manuscripts and ancient knowledge.(Hypatia, the great Philosopher-Lady, who taught at the University was dragged by her hair and butchered (literally)- inside a church. I spare you the details...it was gruesome even by modern standards!Incidentally,the Great Library was burning continously for 6 weeks!So you can imagine the amount of material there....

Ah, humans like to burn- everything which does't agree with them...This was the greatest unprecedented destruction of Antiqity.But, there were more to follow. At the muslim takover of egypt, what was left over was used for heating for public bath houses (can you imagine ancient astrological treatises from Babylon used for fuel?). India is of course very familiar with the devastation, burning, massacres and destruction which was perpetrated by the Invading armies from the west. Much, much was lost again.Extraordinary losses occured in cultural, spritual property, not to mention the genocide which was perpetrated on Hindu/Buddhist India of the time.

In the middle ages in Europe, book burning was a favourite past time of the Roman Catholic Church. Millions of books,manuscripts ( and people!) were burnt,publicly. The reason? These books did't agree with the authorities in power at the time.

Within recent memory,(1950s and 1960s) Mao's troops, Red Guards and outright thugs descended on Tibet and DESTROYED 5,000 +monasteries, monastic libraries, publicly burning ancient handwritten books(including many Indian manuscripts-which was spirited away from India, at a previous bookburning episode-in 12th-13h centuries).Some 1.5 million Tibetan people were killed in the process. (They were " liberated " by the way-according to current propaganda).

Bookburning maybe part of other religions, " isms " ,current fads,political parties etc, but I don't believe that it is part of Sanathana Dharma.

I become vary sad,when I encounter opinions and (perhaps symbolical) incitments to " BURN BOOKS,Treatises.

Gandhiji is not here anymore to answer for himself...I or anyone can't answer for him either. If you disagree with him, then I recommend to put the book down and walk on.... For heaven's sake don't burn.

With deep respect:

Arpadhsohamsa , " prithviraj_kanade " <prithviraj_kanade wrote:>> Gandhi's picture where he is dressed in a loincloth, with a copy of > the Bhagwad Gita at his side - is a common sight throughout India. > Gandhi did not accept Sri Krishna as God, but as a man with > exceptional qualities.> > Gandhi believed that Mahabhaharat was a work of fiction and that it > did not actually take place. He said, 'Pandav's and Kaurav's are in > reality the conflict between good and bad tendencies within us. > Pandav's are the good tendencies and Kauravs, the bad ones',

> > In the Eleventh Chapter of Gita, it is said that Lord Krishna shows > His formidable form to Arjuna. According to Gandhi this chapter was > interpolated, meaning that it was not there in the original Gita and > that someone appended it later. The same Gandhi, it is said, > discovered 'Yoga of non-attachment' from the same Bhagwad Gita! It > is said that he discovered Satyagraha from Gita as well!

> > Burn the treatises on Gita, which do not acknowledge Lord Krishna to > be the Supreme God.' - Gurudev, Dr. Kaate Swami ji (Ghangarjit, > January 2006)> Read more about Gandhism against Hinduism at :

> http://www.hindujag

ruti.org/activities/campaigns/national/gandhi/>