Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi all,

I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean

when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to

really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or

eat fruits etc?

I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide?

Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an

effective remedy.

Thanks

JD

Guest guest

Jaya Jagannath

Dear JD,

Namaste

There are many accounts of these whereby the person unknowingly fasts on a day that is dear to Shiva, etc., remaining without food, water and such. That’s real fasting. There are other fasts which can be offered like the one for propitiating Mars beginning on a Tuesday during a particular nakshatra and to end the following Tuesday. In this case, fasting is during the day with a very light meal during the evening, continuing in the same manner until the following week. Yet there are others that are more prolonged with subsequent days cutting short of an item off and these are collectively donated after your fast is over.

Love,

Swee

JD <dvastro2000

<sohamsa >

Mon, 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700

<sohamsa >

Fasting: Basic question

Hi all,

eat fruits etc?

effective remedy.

Thanks

JD

Guest guest

||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend

1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on Tithi

Thanks for your guidance on thisRegardsBipinOn 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD <

dvastro2000 wrote:

Hi all, I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc? I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective remedy. Thanks JD

Guest guest

Hare Rama Krishna Dear JD we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course. Hope this helps, Bojan. Hari Om Tat Sat Bipin Prag <bipinprag wrote: ||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend 1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on TithiThanks for your guidance on thisRegardsBipin On 16 Apr 2007

09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 > wrote: Hi all,I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc?I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective remedy.ThanksJD Best wishes, Bojan

Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell? Check out

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Hare Rama Krishna,

Dear JD Namaskar,

I have had close to 30 years of experience with fasting. This can be undertaken for a variety of purposes: spiritual,health,"shanti",or even to help someone.

Basically a fast IS a fast. That means no food of any kind can be taken for the period of the fast. However, one may drink water.The BEST is a sunrise to sunrise fast. This works like wonders. Fasting is cheap, effective and safe.... a basic form of Tapas.

As with all Tapas, this is a basic form of self discipline- a voluntary deprivation of oneself of some sort of "comfort".(Some people go to extremes though)

There are 3 basic fasts: speech fast (silence), sex fast (Brahmacharya)and food fast. On a fasting day -preferably and ideally- one should observe all three. Then the fast as Tapas, will fulfil it's intended purpose.

I also advise you to announce your purpose, a kind of "sankalpa" before you undertake the fast. This need not be long,formal or even in sanskrit. (although-it can be).

Yes, fasting on the varesh of the UL is recommended if you have marital problems. Some people will fast on saturdays (24 hrs please) for difficult Shani transit or dasha.New moon-Full Moon days and certainly eclipse days(!) are very important days to fast. Ekadashi fasts are well known in certain circles also.

I also recommend fasts (on the appropriate days) starting about 6 months, prior to a difficult condition in the chart. Astrologers should be able to see and forwarn the clients of impending problems, disasters or difficulties well in advance. The fast needs time to build up strenght and momentum. About 6 months will be sufficient to gather the strength of the fast for any kind of "shanti karma".

In order to succeed, however, one has to be exact,meticulous,precise and unwavering.

I hope that the above has been somewhat useful to you.

With deep respect:

A.J.sohamsa , Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid wrote:>> Hare Rama Krishna> Dear JD> we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. > For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course.> Hope this helps, Bojan.> Hari Om Tat Sat > > Bipin Prag bipinprag wrote:> ||Om Krishna Guru Om||> > Dear Swee> Hare Krishna> > Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend > > 1> Sunrise to Sunrise> 2> Sunrise to Sunset> 3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.> 4> From a specific Muhurta based on Tithi> > Thanks for your guidance on this> > Regards> > Bipin> > > On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 wrote: Hi all,> I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean > when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to > really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or > eat fruits etc?> I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? > Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an > effective remedy.> Thanks> JD> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovic> http://www.jatavedas.com> > > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?> Check outnew cars at Autos.>

Guest guest

|Om Namo Narasimhaaya|

Dear Bojan,

That observation about the UL being in the 8th House is correct. In my own chart, my schedule was so hectic that I could not observe the fast for quite a while. But now, I have been keeping it for close to an year. For a few months now, it is without eating anything till sunset. And for some weeks, even without water. The strong desire to do the Sadhana can be seen from the retrograde UL Lord placed in Mantra Bhava.

Regards,

Anurag Sharma

http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com--- In sohamsa , Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid wrote:>> Hare Rama Krishna> Dear JD> we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. > For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course.> Hope this helps, Bojan.> Hari Om Tat Sat > > Bipin Prag bipinprag wrote:> ||Om Krishna Guru Om||> > Dear Swee> Hare Krishna> > Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend > > 1> Sunrise to Sunrise> 2> Sunrise to Sunset> 3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.> 4> From a specific Muhurta based on Tithi> > Thanks for your guidance on this> > Regards> > Bipin> > > On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 wrote: Hi all,> I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean > when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to > really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or > eat fruits etc?> I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? > Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an > effective remedy.> Thanks> JD> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovic> http://www.jatavedas.com> > > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?> Check outnew cars at Autos.>

Guest guest

||Namah Shivaya||

Dear Arpad ji,

Your message is very impressive in the benefits of fasting and indeed women in India are groomed for fasting for their husbands(mainly longevity).

Why arent there any such fasts for men advocated, for their wives? Perhaps I am ignorant about them but apart from Hindu festival days, men dont fast, like women do ( karva chauth, teej etc)

Indeed, spiritul fasting has been advocated for penance. So why should fasting be only for penance? Arent we in constant penace re our desires?

I agree fasting is excelent for self conrol, makes you appreciate some aspects of life as well.

Fasting is done before surgery, so that bowels behave post-operatively. It doesnt matter to the brain whether you eat or not before surgery.

Fasting will decrease blood glucose, though the body will compensate, but body and brain will function at minimum. So then the ' atma ' will become active..am I in the right direction here ..!

Atma can then connect with the param atma inside us.

You say' to have a sankalp' before fasting, which is very well, albeit, it tells us that there will be ' an after gain' or we are looking for one..isnt this desire fulfilment, hence not really spiritual.

Now how does it work in our charts, I am not too sure.Perhaps in your vast experience in this field you can fill us in the ways it has affected lives/life direction as per our charts. I do understand about marriage etc, so we can leave out that area.

I am keen to learn more about this, for one who has never really ever fasted( except when have gone without food/drink for many many hours when on call in a busy A & E but then I was much younger).

Regards

Sharat

-

Arpad Joo

sohamsa

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:25 PM

Re: Fasting: Basic question

Hare Rama Krishna,

Dear JD Namaskar,

I have had close to 30 years of experience with fasting. This can be undertaken for a variety of purposes: spiritual,health,"shanti",or even to help someone.

Basically a fast IS a fast. That means no food of any kind can be taken for the period of the fast. However, one may drink water.The BEST is a sunrise to sunrise fast. This works like wonders. Fasting is cheap, effective and safe.... a basic form of Tapas.

As with all Tapas, this is a basic form of self discipline- a voluntary deprivation of oneself of some sort of "comfort".(Some people go to extremes though)

There are 3 basic fasts: speech fast (silence), sex fast (Brahmacharya)and food fast. On a fasting day -preferably and ideally- one should observe all three. Then the fast as Tapas, will fulfil it's intended purpose.

I also advise you to announce your purpose, a kind of "sankalpa" before you undertake the fast. This need not be long,formal or even in sanskrit. (although-it can be).

Yes, fasting on the varesh of the UL is recommended if you have marital problems. Some people will fast on saturdays (24 hrs please) for difficult Shani transit or dasha.New moon-Full Moon days and certainly eclipse days(!) are very important days to fast. Ekadashi fasts are well known in certain circles also.

I also recommend fasts (on the appropriate days) starting about 6 months, prior to a difficult condition in the chart. Astrologers should be able to see and forwarn the clients of impending problems, disasters or difficulties well in advance. The fast needs time to build up strenght and momentum. About 6 months will be sufficient to gather the strength of the fast for any kind of "shanti karma".

In order to succeed, however, one has to be exact,meticulous,precise and unwavering.

I hope that the above has been somewhat useful to you.

With deep respect:

A.J.sohamsa , Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid wrote:>> Hare Rama Krishna> Dear JD> we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. > For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course.> Hope this helps, Bojan.> Hari Om Tat Sat > > Bipin Prag bipinprag wrote:> ||Om Krishna G uru Om||> > Dear Swee> Hare Krishna> > Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend > > 1> Sunrise to Sunrise> 2> Sunrise to Sunset> 3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.> 4> From a specific Muhurta based on Tithi> > Thanks for your guidance on this> > Regards> > Bipin> > > On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 wrote: Hi all,> I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean > when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to > really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or > eat fruits etc?> I know it is a very basic question but can s omeone please guide? > Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an > effective remedy.> Thanks> JD> > > > > > > > > > > > > > Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovic> http://www.jatavedas.com> > > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?> Check outnew cars at Autos.>

Guest guest

ॐ श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥ ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥ Dear Bojan Ji, Namaste. Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya,if Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a

particular day, then fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only. With úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa Ramadas Rao.Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid wrote: Hare Rama Krishna Dear JD we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course. Hope this helps, Bojan. Hari Om Tat Sat Bipin Prag

<bipinprag > wrote: ||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend 1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on TithiThanks for your guidance on thisRegardsBipin On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 > wrote: Hi all,I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc?I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective remedy.ThanksJD Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at

Autos.

Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger

Guest guest

Hare Rama Krishna Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply. Does it means if for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should fast from next Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure means from exact Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in advance Bojan Hari Om Tat SatRamadas Rao <ramadasrao wrote: ॐ

श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥ ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥ Dear Bojan Ji, Namaste. Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya,if Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only. With úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa Ramadas Rao.Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > wrote: Hare Rama Krishna Dear JD we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can

prolong it till sunset. For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course. Hope this helps, Bojan. Hari Om Tat Sat Bipin Prag <bipinprag > wrote: ||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend 1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on TithiThanks for your guidance on

thisRegardsBipin On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 > wrote: Hi all,I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc?I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective remedy.ThanksJD Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger Best wishes, Bojan

Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

hare rama krsna

Dear Bojan

Hari bhakti Vilas (vaisnava scripture) or at least devotees says so -

that when sunrise starts with ekadasi then in this day we should fast.

Regards,

Rafal Gendarz

SJC Guru

www.rohinaa.com

(+48) 503 44 18 18

Bojan Vidakovic napisał(a):

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply.

Does it means if for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should

fast from next Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure

means from exact Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in

advance Bojan

Hari Om Tat Sat

Ramadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥

श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥

Dear Bojan Ji,

Namaste.

Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya,if

Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then

fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun

rise.If you follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha

ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only.

With

úrî

hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa

Ramadas Rao.

Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > wrote:

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear JD

we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If

the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be

achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some

cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As

much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and

eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill,

than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during

the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till

sunset.

For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi

tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and

meet of course.

Hope this helps, Bojan.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Bipin Prag <bipinprag > wrote:

||Om Krishna Guru Om||

Dear Swee

Hare Krishna

Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of

fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which

of these do the parampara recommend

1> Sunrise to Sunrise

2> Sunrise to Sunset

3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight

signifying the whole 'day'.

4> From a specific Muhurta based on Tithi

Thanks for your guidance on this

Regards

Bipin

On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 >

wrote:

Hi all,

eat fruits etc?

effective remedy.

Thanks

JD

Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovic

http://www.jatavedas.com

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?

Check out new

cars at Autos.

Check out what you're missing if you're not on

Messenger

Check out

new

cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Hare Rama Krishna Dear Rafal namaskar thank you for reply, and what the scriptures/devotees say, when shoud it be finished? And how, with milk and water or just start to eat everything? Hari Om Tat SatRafal Gendarz <starsuponme wrote: hare rama krsnaDear BojanHari bhakti Vilas (vaisnava scripture) or at least devotees says

so - that when sunrise starts with ekadasi then in this day we should fast.Regards,Rafal GendarzSJC Guruwww.rohinaa.com(+48) 503 44 18 18 Bojan Vidakovic napisa³(a): Hare Rama Krishna Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply. Does it means if for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should fast from next Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure means from exact Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in advance Bojan Hari Om Tat SatRamadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote: ॐ श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥ ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥ Dear Bojan Ji, Namaste. Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya,if Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you follow strict procedures, then

one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only. With úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa Ramadas Rao.Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > wrote: Hare Rama Krishna Dear JD we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot

stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course. Hope this helps, Bojan. Hari Om Tat Sat Bipin Prag <bipinprag > wrote: ||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend 1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as

some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on TithiThanks for your guidance on thisRegardsBipin On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 > wrote: Hi all,I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc?I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective

remedy.ThanksJDBest wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Best wishes, SJC Guru Bojan Vidakovicfor articles and consultations visithttp://www.jatavedas.com

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

ॐ श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥ ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥ Dear Bojan Ji, The rule is to start any fasting or Vrat from Sun rise on a particular day.So if a Tithi is seen during the Sun rise on a particular day, then

the fasting has to be started on that particular day and has to be ended on the next day morning Sun rise.A thithi can start at any time but the fasting has to be started from Sunrise only. The day from Sun rise to Sun rise is called a Savana day. With śrī hari vāyu guru nāma smaraṇa Ramadas Rao.Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid wrote: Hare Rama Krishna Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply. Does it means if for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should fast from next Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure means from exact Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in advance Bojan Hari Om Tat SatRamadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote: ॐ श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥ ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥ Dear Bojan Ji, Namaste. Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya,if Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only. With úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa Ramadas Rao.Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > wrote: Hare Rama Krishna Dear JD we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not

to eat grains, cereals and meet of course. Hope this helps, Bojan. Hari Om Tat Sat Bipin Prag <bipinprag > wrote: ||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend 1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on TithiThanks for your guidance on thisRegardsBipin On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000 > wrote: Hi all,I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc?I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective remedy.ThanksJD Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jatavedas.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger

Guest guest

hare rama krsna

Dear Bojan

It ends in the morning next day, perhaps on sunrise (like the new vedic

day starts (savana)). We dont it grains. On net there should be some

articles also about the particular diet in ekadasi. We believe

Pap-purusa is in the grains in that day so we avoid it, it also gives

shanti as the ekadasi is lorded by Mangal.

Regards,

Rafal Gendarz

SJC Guru

www.rohinaa.com

(+48) 503 44 18 18

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Rafal namaskar

thank you for reply, and what the scriptures/devotees say, when

shoud it be finished? And how, with milk and water or just start to eat

everything?

Hari Om Tat Sat

Rafal Gendarz <starsuponme@ wp.pl> wrote:

hare rama krsna

Dear Bojan

Hari bhakti Vilas (vaisnava scripture) or at least devotees says so -

that when sunrise starts with ekadasi then in this day we should fast.

Regards,

Rafal Gendarz

SJC Guru

www.rohinaa. com

(+48) 503 44 18 18

Bojan Vidakovic napisa³(a):

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply. Does it means if

for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should fast from next

Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure means from exact

Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in advance Bojan

Hari Om Tat Sat

Ramadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

ॐ श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥

ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥

Dear Bojan Ji,

Namaste.

Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya, if Ekadashi

Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then fasting

has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you

follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie.,

Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only.

With

úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa

Ramadas Rao.

Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > wrote:

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear JD

we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast.

If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be

achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some

cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As

much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and

eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill,

than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during

the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till

sunset.

For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora

when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains,

cereals and meet of course.

Hope this helps, Bojan.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Bipin Prag <bipinprag (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote:

||Om Krishna Guru Om||

Dear Swee

Hare Krishna

Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of

fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which

of these do the parampara recommend

1> Sunrise to Sunrise

2> Sunrise to Sunset

3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight

signifying the whole 'day'.

Regards

Bipin

On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000@ >

wrote:

Hi all,

eat fruits etc?

effective remedy.

Thanks

JD

http://www.jataveda s.com

Check out new

cars at Autos.

Check out what you're missing if you're not on

Messenger

Check out new

cars at Autos.

Best wishes,

SJC Guru

Bojan Vidakovic

for articles and consultations visit

Check out

new

cars at Autos.

Guest guest

Hare Rama Krishna Dear Rafal, thank you, I know about fasting and grains. Being Mangal's tithi it removes anger given by it, and as you already said we are avoiding sins gone into grain during that day. But I am interested if it (fast) should begin on the specific morning or specific time. I am fasting from exact beginning till ending time, and ending with half water half milk. Best wishes, Bojan Hari Om Tat SatRafal Gendarz <starsuponme wrote: hare rama krsnaDear BojanIt ends in the morning next day, perhaps on sunrise (like the new vedic day starts (savana)). We dont it grains. On net there should be some articles also about the particular diet in ekadasi. We believe Pap-purusa is in the grains in that day so we avoid it, it also gives shanti as the ekadasi is lorded by Mangal.Regards,Rafal GendarzSJC Guruwww.rohinaa.com(+48) 503 44 18 18 Bojan Vidakovic napisał(a): Hare Rama Krishna Dear Rafal namaskar thank you for reply, and what the scriptures/devotees say, when shoud it be finished? And how, with milk and water or just start to eat everything? Hari Om Tat SatRafal Gendarz <starsuponme@ wp.pl> wrote: hare rama krsna Dear BojanHari bhakti Vilas (vaisnava scripture) or at least devotees says so - that when sunrise starts with ekadasi then in this day we should fast.Regards,Rafal GendarzSJC Guruwww.rohinaa. com(+48) 503 44 18 18 Bojan Vidakovic napisa³(a): Hare Rama Krishna Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply. Does it means if for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should fast from next Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure means from exact Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in advance Bojan Hari Om Tat Sat Ramadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote: ॐ श्री राघवेन्द्राय नमः॥ ॐ श्री लक्ष्मीन्रुसिंहाय नमः॥ Dear Bojan Ji, Namaste. Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya, if Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only. With úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa Ramadas Rao. Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > wrote: Hare Rama Krishna Dear JD we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of

course. Hope this helps, Bojan. Hari Om Tat Sat Bipin Prag <bipinprag (AT) gmail (DOT) com> wrote: ||Om Krishna Guru Om||Dear SweeHare KrishnaFurther to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend 1> Sunrise to Sunrise2> Sunrise to Sunset3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.4> From a specific Muhurta based on TithiThanks for your guidance on thisRegardsBipin On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000@ > wrote: Hi all,I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or eat fruits etc?I know it is a very basic question but can someone please guide? Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an effective remedy.ThanksJDBest wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jataveda s.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovichttp://www.jataveda s.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos. Best wishes, SJC Guru Bojan Vidakovicfor articles and consultations visithttp://www.jataveda s.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?Check out new cars at Autos.

Best wishes, SJC Guru Bojan Vidakovicfor articles and consultations visithttp://www.jatavedas.com

new cars at Autos.

Guest guest

||Hare Ram Krishna||

Dear Arpad ji,

Namsakar,

Your crystal clear thoughts on Tapas and its concept is much appreciated. I agree about the corruption of English language and use of , penace, esp in a negative way. You do bring out quite clearly the positive role of Tapas in one's life.

Apologies for ' regarding vast experience' usage, I only meant in the way that you have ' experience of fasting' in the form I would like to understand.I havent even started so its great to connect to a sincere student.

I have heard about several aspects of alternative medicine, never really used it, except in the way I use it, which is only a means of empathising with the ill. I have been studying and practicing modern medicine for long and try to practice its art as well. It is interesting to note the work of the doctor you mentioned, have never heard of this but I am sure there is so much we have to learn.

I look forward to further thoughts from you, as it will help me in understnding the changes I see in myself, eg being interested in Tapas and fasting, something which never interested me before. To note I have Rahu in Lagna, exalted in Navamsa and presently transit Rahu is conjuncting my natal Sun(AK) in 5h. And Ketu is exalted in Navamsa Lagna.

Perhaps after you talk about sankalp and other aspects of fasting I will speak about some specific things to 'fast' for.

Looking forwards to more posts, please do take your own time.Your knowledge in this aspect is very helpful.

Warm Regards

Sharat

-

Arpad Joo

sohamsa

Saturday, April 21, 2007 11:26 AM

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Sharat, Namaskar

Thank your for your thoughtful and insightful remarks on fasting.

You have raised a number of issues which- if you permit me- I will answer in subsequent postings, as I do not have adequate time to reply to all the points raised in your message.

First of all, I must be clear about one thing: you have mentioned that I have "vast experience" in these things. Yes, by now I may have done hundreds or even 1000++ individual days of fasts, many 3 days, 7 days, 10 days, 14 days and even 21 days fasts-but I do not consider myself an expert or even having "vast experience". Let's put it simply: I have some experience in these matters.

I do have, however a friend in Calgary,Canada, Dr. Stajen Warness M.D., who have specialized in the medical aspect of fasting. He- at this point- has already have about 15,000 patients who have fasted under his supervision and care- for a number of reasons. His rate of success of curing, supposedly incurable diseases by fasting (or controlled juice fasting for instance) is truly amazing. (At any given time there is a steady waiting list of about 6 months to get into his private clinic.) Well, he HAS a vast experience and is an expert on the medical aspect of fasting. (all the cases are documented and filed properly).

There is of course and enormous literature on the medical aspect of fasting- which is quite popular in Europe and in North America. (Fasting as remedial measure in the field of alternative medicine is an important subject but I would like to cover something else here.)

Then again, I have met a number of yogis who have "lived on air" for some time, some of them for months or even as long as 12 years! They are quite expert on the spiritual and mental aspect of "fasting"….they have vast experience.

I am, however a beginner in these things, or as my teacher used to say: a sincere student. That is all.

Having cleared this I would like to come to the main point.

Fasting is not starving oneself! For instance, if I miss my midday meal (in any given day) by 3-4 pm I will get very hungry and my thoughts will revolve around having a snack or a peace of fruit or whatever. On the other hand, if I resolve to fast for a certain period of time,for the duration of the fast I have no trouble at all, free of hunger and thirst- and most important of all, my mind is free from any and all thoughts of food. Here is the role of sankalpa.( I will, however cover this in a subsequent posting.)

What is fasting? How does it work? Why does it work?

It is a form of Tapasya.

I always cringe when I hear words like self- mortification, penance,punishing oneself for sins, self torture etc. These concepts are the leftover linguistical debris (which litter the mental landscape of quite a few people, and much of the contemporary religious discussion) from the days of the invading British missionaries, who corrupted (or at least did their level best to try corrupt) the minds of 19th century Indians. Two people stand out who have rescued the English language from the useless clutters of misguided and misbegotten misconceptions in spiritual matters: one in the east and one in the west. In the east it is Shri Aurobindo the Sage, the Seer,the Poet, the Prophet,the Yogi, the Saint-in the moulds of the Ancient Rishis, and incidentally but most importantly- the unparalelled linguistic MASTER and genius. In the west it is (or rather was) Count Alfred Korzybsky, whose "General theory of Semantics" is an eye opener for those of us who are really interested how language conditions,shapes and determines the thinking process.(and incidentally- of Political Power). Once we begin to understand the theory of language and semantics, only then will the real significance of Sanskrit becomes evident. (Oh, Panini was an avatar or close to it)

So , now to Tapasya. Real Tapas is definitely not penance or self mortification.

Truly understood ,it is the fuel of Saddhana.

I can do no better than to quote from Shri Aurobindo:

(Tapasya is…)"A fierce and strong effort of all the human powers towards any given end. It is a tremendous concentration of the will which sets the whole being aflame, masses all the faculties in close ranks and hurls them furiously on a single objective." (Whenever I read these lines I think of Hanuman)

Tapas is as a concept contains many different elements, which would be difficult to translate (as with all Sanskrit words) into English.

The ROOT of the word is Heat. Voluntary purification and self discipline by the "heat " of the will, devotion, resolution and faith.

The way gold is refined and purified by heat (fire),the way how alchemical preparations, indeed the works of transmutation, are accomplished by sustained (and carefully controlled) fire gives us some ideas what this heat is. It is also the gradual, systematic,methodical discipline,and voluntary restrictions placed upon the lower nature,upon the desires, the likes and dislikes-(raga-dvesha) in order to purify, sublimate and transmute the energies tied up into a much more useful (divine) purpose.(The fabled transmutation from "lead" into "Gold") Whenever we voluntary deny ourselves some form of pleasure ( and food is a a very obvious source of enjoyment for many- including myself), we gain some measure of will power. Our batteries are re-charged-so to speak. That is why satiation of the senses will never lead to real contentment, but forever chases us with restlessness…However even a little self discipline will give an inner satisfaction and self confidence. Any form of remedial measure,upaye, "shanti karma" etc must contain some form of Tapas to be really effective.

The opposite of "Tap"is "Pat"- which as a secondary meaning to fall down. So "Tap" (in the Aurobindian sense)which brings you upward, and "Pat"- unrestricted indulgence in pleasures and satiation of the senses, brings you down. ("Tap" is the upward thrust of Ketu and "Pat" is he downfall associated with Rahu).

Fasting then, is a beginning of discipline. One can fast on many levels-from the simple voluntary deprivation of food to the highest of which is called the "fasting of the heart". That is a total surrender to the Supreme, to the Will of God, what Patanjali Maharishi calls "Ishvara pranidhana". This total surrender finds it's fullest expression and flowering in Narada Bhakti Yoga Sutras.

I hope that my –rather extended- rumblings makes some sense for you. I will cover the practical aspects and applicability of fasts and the role of sankalpa in subsequent postings.

With deep respect:

A.J.

sohamsa , "Sharat" <gidoc wrote:>> ||Namah Shivaya||> > Dear Arpad ji,> > Your message is very impressive in the benefits of fasting and indeed women in India are groomed for fasting for their husbands(mainly longevity).> Why arent there any such fasts for men advocated, for their wives? Perhaps I am ignorant about them but apart from Hindu festival days, men dont fast, like women do ( karva chauth, teej etc)> Indeed, spiritul fasting has been advocated for penance. So why should fasting be only for penance? Arent we in constant penace re our desires?> I agree fasting is excelent for self conrol, makes you appreciate some aspects of life as well.> Fasting is done before surgery, so that bowels behave post-operatively. It doesnt matter to the brain whether you eat or not before surgery.> Fasting will decrease blood glucose, though the body will compensate, but body and brain will function at minimum. So then the ' atma ' will become active..am I in the right direction here ..!> Atma can then connect with the param atma inside us.> You say' to have a sankalp' before fasting, which is very well, albeit, it tells us that there will be ' an after gain' or we are looking for one..isnt this desire fulfilment, hence not really spiritual.> Now how does it work in our charts, I am not too sure.Perhaps in your vast experience in this field you can fill us in the ways it has affected lives/life direction as per our charts. I do understand about marriage etc, so we can leave out that area.> I am keen to learn more about this, for one who has never really ever fasted( except when have gone without food/drink for many many hours when on call in a busy A & E but then I was much younger).> > Regards> Sharat> > - > Arpad Joo > sohamsa > Tuesday, April 17, 2007 5:25 PM> Re: Fasting: Basic question> > > > Hare Rama Krishna,> > Dear JD Namaskar,> > I have had close to 30 years of experience with fasting. This can be undertaken for a variety of purposes: spiritual,health,"shanti",or even to help someone.> > Basically a fast IS a fast. That means no food of any kind can be taken for the period of the fast. However, one may drink water.The BEST is a sunrise to sunrise fast. This works like wonders. Fasting is cheap, effective and safe.... a basic form of Tapas.> > As with all Tapas, this is a basic form of self discipline- a voluntary deprivation of oneself of some sort of "comfort".(Some people go to extremes though)> > There are 3 basic fasts: speech fast (silence), sex fast (Brahmacharya)and food fast. On a fasting day -preferably and ideally- one should observe all three. Then the fast as Tapas, will fulfil it's intended purpose.> > I also advise you to announce your purpose, a kind of "sankalpa" before you undertake the fast. This need not be long,formal or even in sanskrit. (although-it can be).> > Yes, fasting on the varesh of the UL is recommended if you have marital problems. Some people will fast on saturdays (24 hrs please) for difficult Shani transit or dasha.New moon-Full Moon days and certainly eclipse days(!) are very important days to fast. Ekadashi fasts are well known in certain circles also.> > I also recommend fasts (on the appropriate days) starting about 6 months, prior to a difficult condition in the chart. Astrologers should be able to see and forwarn the clients of impending problems, disasters or difficulties well in advance. The fast needs time to build up strenght and momentum. About 6 months will be sufficient to gather the strength of the fast for any kind of "shanti karma".> > In order to succeed, however, one has to be exact,meticulous,precise and unwavering.> > I hope that the above has been somewhat useful to you.> > With deep respect:> > A.J.> sohamsa , Bojan Vidakovic janbovid@ wrote:> >> > Hare Rama Krishna> > Dear JD> > we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset. > > For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course.> > Hope this helps, Bojan.> > Hari Om Tat Sat > > > > Bipin Prag bipinprag@ wrote:> > ||Om Krishna G uru Om||> > > > Dear Swee> > Hare Krishna> > > > Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend > > > > 1> Sunrise to Sunrise> > 2> Sunrise to Sunset> > 3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.> > 4> From a specific Muhurta based on Tithi> > > > Thanks for your guidance on this> > > > Regards> > > > Bipin> > > > > > On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000@ wrote: Hi all,> > I have basic question about fasting.. How do we define fasting? I mean > > when fasting is recommended as a remedy, is the person expected to > > really 'fast' (not eat/drink anything) ? or he can drink say milk or > > eat fruits etc?> > I know it is a very basic question but can s omeone please guide? > > Asking to understand what is writtend in the old granthas for an > > effective remedy.> > Thanks> > JD> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Best wishes, Bojan Vidakovic> > http://www.jatavedas.com> > > > > > Ahhh...imagining that irresistible "new car" smell?> > Check outnew cars at Autos.> >>

Guest guest

Jaya Jagannatha

Dear Bojan,

Namaste

Those following ekadashi vrata:

http://www.bhaktivedantas.com/

Bottom left corner for the fasting software in DOS.

Love,

Swee

Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid

<sohamsa >

Sat, 21 Apr 2007 03:26:00 -0700 (PDT)

<sohamsa >

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Rafal, thank you, I know about fasting and grains. Being Mangal's tithi it removes anger given by it, and as you already said we are avoiding sins gone into grain during that day. But I am interested if it (fast) should begin on the specific morning or specific time. I am fasting from exact beginning till ending time, and ending with half water half milk. Best wishes, Bojan

Hari Om Tat Sat

Rafal Gendarz <starsuponme wrote:

hare rama krsna

Dear Bojan

It ends in the morning next day, perhaps on sunrise (like the new vedic day starts (savana)). We dont it grains. On net there should be some articles also about the particular diet in ekadasi. We believe P! ap-purusa is in the grains in that day so we avoid it, it also gives shanti as the ekadasi is lorded by Mangal.

Regards,

Rafal Gendarz

SJC Guru

www.rohinaa.com <http://www.rohinaa.com/>

(+48) 503 44 18 18

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Rafal namaskar

thank you for reply, and what the scriptures/devotees say, when shoud it be finished? And how, with milk and water or just start to eat everything?

Hari Om Tat Sat

Rafal Gendarz <starsuponme@ wp.pl> wrote:

hare rama krsna

Dear Bojan

Hari bhakti Vilas (vaisnava scripture) or at least devotees says so - that when sunrise starts with ekadasi then in this day we should fast.

Regards,

Rafal Gendarz

SJC Guru

www.rohinaa. com <http://www.rohinaa.com/>

(+48) 503 44 18 18

Bojan Vidakovic napisa“(a):

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Ramadas Rao thank you for your reply. Does it means if for example Ekadasi starts today at 5pm, we should fast from next Sunrise to next Sunrise? And does strickt procedure means from exact Tithi beginning or the way you mentioned? Thank you in advance Bojan

Hari Om Tat Sat

Ramadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in> <ramad! asrao wrote:

ॠशà¥à¤°à¥€ राघवेनà¥à¤¦à¥à¤°à¤¾à¤¯ नमः॥

ॠशà¥à¤°à¥€ लकà¥à¤·à¥à¤®à¥€à¤¨à¥à¤°à¥à¤¸à¤¿à¤‚हाय नमः॥

Dear Bojan Ji,

Namaste.

Normally as advised by Shri Madhvacharya, if Ekadashi Tithi is available during Sun rise on a particular day, then fasting has to be done on that day from Sun rise to next day Sun rise.If you follow strict procedures, then one can have Tulasi Tirtha ie., Abhisheka Water with Tulasi on a Deity idol or Shalagrama only.

With

úrî hari vâyu guru nâma smaraṇa

Ramadas Rao.

Bojan Vidakovic <janbovid > <janbovid wrote:

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear JD

we do recomend fast from Sunrise to Sunset for UL fast. If the person would fast till next morning some other effects would be achived. It is recomendable to fast without eating at all. In some cases it is very hard to make it, esspeceally when the UL is in 8th. As much as we do not take it is better, but zou can drink some milk and eat fruits if yoz cannot stand it. Sometimes when the person is ill, than it is better to be carefull, and to sugest light fast and during the time when it becomes eaisier that the native can prolong it till sunset.

For Ekadasi fast you can see in Jagannath Hora when Ekadasi tithi starts end ends. It is recomended not to eat grains, cereals and meet of course.

Hope this helps, Bojan.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Bipin Prag <bipinprag (AT) gmail (DOT) com> <bipinprag wrote:

||Om Krishna Guru Om||

Dear Swee

Hare Krishna

Further to this question about fasting. What should the duration of fasting be for a given day. Does it depend on the type of fast. Which of these do the parampara recommend

1> Sunrise to Sunrise

2> Sunrise to Sunset

3> Ive listed this as some fast like this - Midnight to Midnight signifying the whole 'day'.

Regards

Bipin

On 16 Apr 2007 09:27:50 -0700, JD < dvastro2000@ <dvastro2000 > wrote:

Hi all,

eat fruits etc?

effective remedy.

Thanks

JD

http://www.jataveda <http://www.jataveda/> s.com

Ahhh...imagining that irresistible " new car " smell?

Check out new cars at Autos. <http://us.rd./evt=48245/*http://autos./new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->

Check out what you're missing if you're not on Messenger <htt! p://us.rd./mail/in/ymessenger/*http://in.messenger./>

http://www.jataveda <http://www.jataveda/> s.com Ahhh...imagining that irresistible " new car " smell?

Check out new cars at Autos. <http://us.rd./evt=48245/*http://autos./new_cars.html;_ylc=X3oDMTE1YW1jcXJ2BF9TAzk3MTA3MDc2BHNlYwNtYWlsdGFncwRzbGsDbmV3LWNhcnM->

Best wishes,

SJC Guru

Bojan Vidakovic

http://www.jataveda <http://www.jataveda/> s.com

Best wishes,

SJC Guru

Bojan Vidakovic