IndiaDivine.org

Guru Poornima 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

|vyam vyaasadevaaya namah|

On this Guru Poornima day (17-18 July 2008), I pay obeisance to the saptarishis and all the selfless souls who have given generously of their knowledge allowing us to be enriched just that bit more. Please find below an interesting anecdote from the biography of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa showing how deeply he probed the origins of Swami Vivekananda.

best regards

Hari

" ...Absorbed, one day, in samadhi, Ramakrishna had found that His mind was soaring high, going beyond the physical universe of the sun, moon, stars, and passing into the subtle region of ideas. As it continued to ascend, the forms of Gods and Goddesses were left behind, and it crossed the luminous barrier separating the phenomenal universe from the absolute, entering finally the transcendental realm.

There Ramakrishna saw seven venerable sages absorbed in meditation. These, he thought, must have surpassed even the Gods and Goddesses in wisdom and holiness, and as He was admiring their unique spirituality He saw a portion of the undifferentiated absolute become congealed, as it were, and take the form of a Divine child. Clamoring upon the lap of one of the sages and gently clasping his neck with his soft arms, the child whispered something in His ear, and at this magic touch the sage awoke from meditation.

He fixed his half open eyes upon the wondrous child, who said, in great joy: " I am going down to earth. Won't you come with me? " With a benign look, the sage expressed assent and returned in deep spiritual ecstasy. Rama Krishna was amazed to observe that a tiny portion of the sage, however, descended to earth, taking the form of light... "