IndiaDivine.org

The Hindu religion's / astrological stance about Euthanasia

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Namsthe gurus:Euthanasia refers to ending life in a peaceful manner. Euthanasia (meaning good death in Greek) has been a controversial subject. Some religions have opposed it (Catholics), some have tacitly accepted it (Protestants) and some have changed their stance (Buddhist) towards it in recent times. Some countries in Europe have legalized it, the State of Oregon (USA) have legalized it and Thailand (where Buddhism is practiced widely) has also legalized it. The actual mechanisms have varied, so has the terminology, the medical/legal processes and the actual implementation.I am wondering what's the traditional and modern Hinduism's take on it. I have 3 specific questions on the subject and would like to hear specific views:If in modern times, Hindus have accepted abortion and India has legalized abortion isn't that one form of Euthanasia? We see even traditional and religious Hindus in India increasingly resorting to legalized and illegal abortion for various reasons. Some may be valid and legitimate and some may not be. While I do not want to dwell on the values/ethical aspect of it, I would like to know if there's a clear cogent Hindu view on it.Typically to prolong life, astrologers advise the Maha Mritunjaya homa or the mantra or prescribe other remedies. There are various hindu stories/ anecdotes that support the claim of prolonging life. The paradox is that more often the person concerned (whose death could be imminent) is rarely consulted and his family members decide that he has to live longer and conduct the puja/homam. The efficacy is uncertain, the premise that death can be postponed is flaky. However, let's accept that death can be postponed due to the puja/homam for the sake of argument.My question is the converse of the above situation and is as follows: Can one seek an early death -- a peaceful death (not out of vindictiveness or animosity or hatred or revenge) for someone out of genuine love, affection and concern for the person's suffering through puja and homa? Are there any puja/homa or any other remedies that one can conduct to bring forward death and end suffering?Are there any Hindu stories/myths that describe when someone sought an early death? I couldn't think of any. Will the scholars in this forum enlighten me ?Finally, let me clarify that I am genuinely seeking answers and let not anyone interpret my questions as challenging hindu religion's principles.Thanks.

|| Om Sri Gurubhyo Namah ||Namaskaar,The questions you have raised are so important, and I hope that we all can learn something out of the discussion that could ensue from this post.Given below is my current understanding on some of your questions, but please know that I am still in the process of knowing the Sastra. I don't know if my inherent understanding is valid or not. So take it for what it is worth.> 1. If in modern times, Hindus have accepted abortion and India has> legalized abortion isn't that one form of Euthanasia? We see even> traditional and religious Hindus in India increasingly resorting to> legalized and illegal abortion for various reasons. Some may be valid> and legitimate and some may not be. While I do not want to dwell on the> values/ethical aspect of it, I would like to know if there's a clear> cogent Hindu view on it.Hindus believe that each sperm represents Atman, and the Atman represented by sperm that fertilizes the egg ends up taking root in the new body to materialize after 9 months of pregnancy. So an aborted pregnancy is essentially denying this Atman a chance to dispense its karma in this World. This denial by the hosting Pitris (couple undergoing abortion) is again the causal effect of the karma of the Atman trying to enter this World. Is abortion killing according to Hindu view? Yes. In the physical plane the aborting couple is performing an act of killing a human body no matter how partially formed it is. Where as, in the spiritual realm, there is only denial but no killing has taken place because Atman cannot be killed. Depending on one's reasons and intentions behind abortion, the Karma will be incurred by the soul making that decision. That being said, there are cases where abortion makes it a bit easier to cope with life (brutal rape case victims who might meet with pregnancy, for example). At a spiritual level, though, the person was experiencing bad karmic reaction (brutal rape) as a result of which she now bears a child, and by killing the physical body of that child (abortion) the person might again be incurring some more bad karma. So, thus, the karmic chain continues to entangle the soul of the woman in question.I am morally against abortion because it pushes one further down into karmic abyss, but politically I support legalization of abortion especially for such cases of rape victims, within and without marriage bed, considering how it might absolutely torment the woman to bring up the child of an unwanted union. In general, I don't believe in censorship of individual behavior because I don't think anybody but God and His Devas have moral authority to judge the activities of another human so long as the said human is not harming anyone without a just reason (say, in, self-defense) . So I don't personally agree to state censure on drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc., because in as much as these activities may be ruining the indulging person they may not be harming others. If a person wants to ruin himself or herself, s/he should be allowed the freedom to do that, even though they are not allowed to ruin anybody else along with them. So, whilst no collateral damage is allowed, the complete freedom of treatment of one's own life should be accorded to an adult. In case of abortions, though, this becomes tricky, because the aborting couple are actually making a decision to end someone else's life. Or at least it seems so on a physical plane; on a spiritual plane, however, as I've stated earlier, the cause of the denial of human life to the Atman is again rooted in that Atman's Karma. My liberal thoughts are based on the premise that the Atman dwelling within all of us makes various choices on a physical plane based on its own evolution and knowledge. If a person is hedonistic, it is not because the state has legalized various means of hedonism, but because that is the only form of engagement that the Atman knows due to previous Samskaara. My understanding is that Smriti doesn't pass judgments on human behavior (a la thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, etc.), however, it does warn of what might come from base material pursuits. Veda doesn't espouse the notion of an eternal hell. We believe that hells have to be experienced for our actions, and once experienced, and lessons learned (hopefully) from that experience, existence of the Atman in the higher loka (realms) is fully possible. Moksha, on the other hand, is a different matter all together.> 3. My question is the converse of the above situation and is as> follows: Can one seek an early death -- a peaceful death (not out of> vindictiveness or animosity or hatred or revenge) for someone out of> genuine love, affection and concern for the person's suffering through> puja and homa? Are there any puja/homa or any other remedies that one> can conduct to bring forward death and end suffering?> Are there any Hindu stories/myths that describe when someone sought an> early death? I couldn't think of any. Will the scholars in this forum> enlighten me ?Most of the Euthanasia cases that I have come across involve an individual's right to take his/her life because his/her suffering in living outdoes the moroseness of death. Smriti teaches us about the role of Karma (which is further elaborated by Bhagawan in The Gita) in human condition. As per that, a human (or any creature) are experiencing their Karma at all times. So good or bad experiences are rooted in good or bad Karma. So, horrible suffering that makes a person seek voluntary death is resulting from horrendous Karma. Now, if only physical death were to bring an end to that causal Karma! But it is not so. If one exercises his/her free will and seeks early death, the Karma left to be experienced is still lurking right there. So if not in this life, then another life. What is to be, will be.Now, to answer your question, abortion is not the same as

euthanasia. In euthanasia, the person whose life is in question may have a say in whether his life should be taken or not. In abortion, the

person whose life is in question has no say.Further more, I am sure that you must have heard of saints taking Samaadhi in the Hindu tradition. That is not Euthanasia, however. These are highly evolved souls, and their perspective on death is radically different than that of a man lost in Samsaara. These souls think in terms of their purpose on Earth, and once that purpose is met in Bhu Loka, they believe it is time for them to go. It is almost like they must be having a dialog with Yama to negotiate the best time to leave this Loka based on when the purpose of their presence in Bhu Loka has been met. It is not suffering that prompts such an individual to leave the World but rather a sense of leaving a place once the Karma has been dispensed. So, unlike in Euthanasia cases, the individual undertaking Samadhi is not escaping from his/her Karma.Personally, I don't believe that Euthanasia should be practised from a moral standpoint because of my beliefs in the Vedic view of human condition presented above. Euthanasia doesn't solve anything, except may be postponing the experience of suffering to one (or many) of the later lives. However, the same belief in the Smriti also compels me to take a very liberal approach in this matter as well and propose legalization of Euthanasia. There should be no other influence on human actions but that of his own mind, intelligence, and soul when he is making decisions that pertain solely to his own life on this planet. The only way he can ensure (that is, if he wishes to) that his decisions lead him towards God is if he sought His continous guidance of his intellect (Savitur Gayatri).Thank you for providing an opportunity for this discussion.Om Tat Sat Braahmanaarpanamastu,Reema.sohamsa , "subaseren" <subaseren wrote:>> Namsthe gurus:> > Euthanasia refers to ending life in a peaceful manner.> > Euthanasia (meaning good death in Greek) has been a controversial> subject. Some religions have opposed it (Catholics), some have tacitly> accepted it (Protestants) and some have changed their stance (Buddhist)> towards it in recent times. Some countries in Europe have legalized it,> the State of Oregon (USA) have legalized it and Thailand (where Buddhism> is practiced widely) has also legalized it. The actual mechanisms have> varied, so has the terminology, the medical/legal processes and the> actual implementation.> > I am wondering what's the traditional and modern Hinduism's take on it.> I have 3 specific questions on the subject and would like to hear> specific views:> > > 1. If in modern times, Hindus have accepted abortion and India has> legalized abortion isn't that one form of Euthanasia? We see even> traditional and religious Hindus in India increasingly resorting to> legalized and illegal abortion for various reasons. Some may be valid> and legitimate and some may not be. While I do not want to dwell on the> values/ethical aspect of it, I would like to know if there's a clear> cogent Hindu view on it.> 2. Typically to prolong life, astrologers advise the Maha Mritunjaya> homa or the mantra or prescribe other remedies. There are various hindu> stories/ anecdotes that support the claim of prolonging life. The> paradox is that more often the person concerned (whose death could be> imminent) is rarely consulted and his family members decide that he has> to live longer and conduct the puja/homam. The efficacy is uncertain,> the premise that death can be postponed is flaky. However, let's accept> that death can be postponed due to the puja/homam for the sake of> argument.> 3. My question is the converse of the above situation and is as> follows: Can one seek an early death -- a peaceful death (not out of> vindictiveness or animosity or hatred or revenge) for someone out of> genuine love, affection and concern for the person's suffering through> puja and homa? Are there any puja/homa or any other remedies that one> can conduct to bring forward death and end suffering?> Are there any Hindu stories/myths that describe when someone sought an> early death? I couldn't think of any. Will the scholars in this forum> enlighten me ?> > Finally, let me clarify that I am genuinely seeking answers and let not> anyone interpret my questions as challenging hindu religion's> principles.> > Thanks.>

It is not about disagreeing with someone else. But faking friendship

while disguising malicious intentions underneath, bringing enemity

to the surface when being caught and saying things to accuse others

that they have proven to be incorrect are not identifications of

a 'Braahmana'.

Sincerely,

Jayashree Ravi

sohamsa , " Reema Patel Sriganesh "

<reema_sriganesh wrote:

>

> || Om Sri Gurubhyo Namah ||

>

> Namaskaar,

>

> The questions you have raised are so important, and I hope that we

all

> can learn something out of the discussion that could ensue from

this

> post.

>

> Given below is my current understanding on some of your questions,

but

> please know that I am still in the process of knowing the Sastra. I

> don't know if my inherent understanding is valid or not. So take

it for

> what it is worth.

>

> > 1. If in modern times, Hindus have accepted abortion and

India has

> > legalized abortion isn't that one form of Euthanasia? We see

even

> > traditional and religious Hindus in India increasingly resorting

to

> > legalized and illegal abortion for various reasons. Some may be

valid

> > and legitimate and some may not be. While I do not want to dwell

on

> the

> > values/ethical aspect of it, I would like to know if there's a

clear

> > cogent Hindu view on it.

>

> Hindus believe that each sperm represents Atman, and the Atman

> represented by sperm that fertilizes the egg ends up taking root

in the

> new body to materialize after 9 months of pregnancy. So an aborted

> pregnancy is essentially denying this Atman a chance to dispense

its

> karma in this World. This denial by the hosting Pitris (couple

> undergoing abortion) is again the causal effect of the karma of the

> Atman trying to enter this World. Is abortion killing according to

Hindu

> view? Yes. In the physical plane the aborting couple is performing

an

> act of killing a human body no matter how partially formed it is.

Where

> as, in the spiritual realm, there is only denial but no killing has

> taken place because Atman cannot be killed. Depending on one's

reasons

> and intentions behind abortion, the Karma will be incurred by the

soul

> making that decision. That being said, there are cases where

abortion

> makes it a bit easier to cope with life (brutal rape case victims

who

> might meet with pregnancy, for example). At a spiritual level,

though,

> the person was experiencing bad karmic reaction (brutal rape) as a

> result of which she now bears a child, and by killing the physical

body

> of that child (abortion) the person might again be incurring some

more

> bad karma. So, thus, the karmic chain continues to entangle the

soul of

> the woman in question.

>

> I am morally against abortion because it pushes one further down

into

> karmic abyss, but politically I support legalization of abortion

> especially for such cases of rape victims, within and without

marriage

> bed, considering how it might absolutely torment the woman to

bring up

> the child of an unwanted union. In general, I don't believe in

> censorship of individual behavior because I don't think anybody

but God

> and His Devas have moral authority to judge the activities of

another

> human so long as the said human is not harming anyone without a

just

> reason (say, in, self-defense) . So I don't personally agree to

state

> censure on drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc., because in as much

as

> these activities may be ruining the indulging person they may not

be

> harming others. If a person wants to ruin himself or herself, s/he

> should be allowed the freedom to do that, even though they are not

> allowed to ruin anybody else along with them. So, whilst no

collateral

> damage is allowed, the complete freedom of treatment of one's own

life

> should be accorded to an adult. In case of abortions, though, this

> becomes tricky, because the aborting couple are actually making a

> decision to end someone else's life. Or at least it seems so on a

> physical plane; on a spiritual plane, however, as I've stated

earlier,

> the cause of the denial of human life to the Atman is again rooted

in

> that Atman's Karma.

>

> My liberal thoughts are based on the premise that the Atman

dwelling

> within all of us makes various choices on a physical plane based

on its

> own evolution and knowledge. If a person is hedonistic, it is not

> because the state has legalized various means of hedonism, but

because

> that is the only form of engagement that the Atman knows due to

previous

> Samskaara. My understanding is that Smriti doesn't pass judgments

on

> human behavior (a la thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife,

etc.),

> however, it does warn of what might come from base material

pursuits.

> Veda doesn't espouse the notion of an eternal hell. We believe that

> hells have to be experienced for our actions, and once

experienced, and

> lessons learned (hopefully) from that experience, existence of the

Atman

> in the higher loka (realms) is fully possible. Moksha, on the other

> hand, is a different matter all together.

>

> > 3. My question is the converse of the above situation and is

as

> > follows: Can one seek an early death -- a peaceful death (not

out of

> > vindictiveness or animosity or hatred or revenge) for someone

out of

> > genuine love, affection and concern for the person's suffering

through

> > puja and homa? Are there any puja/homa or any other remedies

that one

> > can conduct to bring forward death and end suffering?

> > Are there any Hindu stories/myths that describe when someone

sought an

> > early death? I couldn't think of any. Will the scholars in this

forum

> > enlighten me ?

>

> Most of the Euthanasia cases that I have come across involve an

> individual's right to take his/her life because his/her suffering

in

> living outdoes the moroseness of death. Smriti teaches us about

the role

> of Karma (which is further elaborated by Bhagawan in The Gita) in

human

> condition. As per that, a human (or any creature) are experiencing

their

> Karma at all times. So good or bad experiences are rooted in good

or bad

> Karma. So, horrible suffering that makes a person seek voluntary

death

> is resulting from horrendous Karma. Now, if only physical death

were to

> bring an end to that causal Karma! But it is not so. If one

exercises

> his/her free will and seeks early death, the Karma left to be

> experienced is still lurking right there. So if not in this life,

then

> another life. What is to be, will be.

>

> Now, to answer your question, abortion is not the same as

euthanasia. In

> euthanasia, the person whose life is in question may have a say in

> whether his life should be taken or not. In abortion, the person

whose

> life is in question has no say.

>

> Further more, I am sure that you must have heard of saints taking

> Samaadhi in the Hindu tradition. That is not Euthanasia, however.

These

> are highly evolved souls, and their perspective on death is

radically

> different than that of a man lost in Samsaara. These souls think in

> terms of their purpose on Earth, and once that purpose is met in

Bhu

> Loka, they believe it is time for them to go. It is almost like

they

> must be having a dialog with Yama to negotiate the best time to

leave

> this Loka based on when the purpose of their presence in Bhu Loka

has

> been met. It is not suffering that prompts such an individual to

leave

> the World but rather a sense of leaving a place once the Karma has

been

> dispensed. So, unlike in Euthanasia cases, the individual

undertaking

> Samadhi is not escaping from his/her Karma.

>

> Personally, I don't believe that Euthanasia should be practised

from a

> moral standpoint because of my beliefs in the Vedic view of human

> condition presented above. Euthanasia doesn't solve anything,

except may

> be postponing the experience of suffering to one (or many) of the

later

> lives. However, the same belief in the Smriti also compels me to

take a

> very liberal approach in this matter as well and propose

legalization of

> Euthanasia. There should be no other influence on human actions

but that

> of his own mind, intelligence, and soul when he is making

decisions that

> pertain solely to his own life on this planet. The only way he can

> ensure (that is, if he wishes to) that his decisions lead him

towards

> God is if he sought His continous guidance of his intellect

(Savitur

> Gayatri).

>

> Thank you for providing an opportunity for this discussion.

>

> Om Tat Sat Braahmanaarpanamastu,

> Reema.

>

> sohamsa , " subaseren " <subaseren@> wrote:

> >

> > Namsthe gurus:

> >

> > Euthanasia refers to ending life in a peaceful manner.

> >

> > Euthanasia (meaning good death in Greek) has been a controversial

> > subject. Some religions have opposed it (Catholics), some have

> tacitly

> > accepted it (Protestants) and some have changed their stance

> (Buddhist)

> > towards it in recent times. Some countries in Europe have

legalized

> it,

> > the State of Oregon (USA) have legalized it and Thailand (where

> Buddhism

> > is practiced widely) has also legalized it. The actual

mechanisms have

> > varied, so has the terminology, the medical/legal processes and

the

> > actual implementation.

> >

> > I am wondering what's the traditional and modern Hinduism's take

on

> it.

> > I have 3 specific questions on the subject and would like to hear

> > specific views:

> >

> >

India has

even

to

valid

on

> the

clear

> > 2. Typically to prolong life, astrologers advise the Maha

> Mritunjaya

> > homa or the mantra or prescribe other remedies. There are various

> hindu

> > stories/ anecdotes that support the claim of prolonging life. The

> > paradox is that more often the person concerned (whose death

could be

> > imminent) is rarely consulted and his family members decide

that he

> has

> > to live longer and conduct the puja/homam. The efficacy is

uncertain,

> > the premise that death can be postponed is flaky. However, let's

> accept

> > that death can be postponed due to the puja/homam for the sake of

> > argument.

as

out of

out of

through

that one

sought an

forum

> > enlighten me ?

> >

> > Finally, let me clarify that I am genuinely seeking answers and

let

> not

> > anyone interpret my questions as challenging hindu religion's

> > principles.

> >

> > Thanks.

> >

>

Namaste Reema ji,

I always find your writings/views very interesting. Do you have a

strong Mercury in your chart? Can you share your birth data with us?

Thanks,

Bharathi

sohamsa , " Reema Patel Sriganesh "

<reema_sriganesh wrote:

>

> || Om Sri Gurubhyo Namah ||

>

> Namaskaar,

>

> The questions you have raised are so important, and I hope that we

all

> can learn something out of the discussion that could ensue from

this

> post.

>

> Given below is my current understanding on some of your questions,

but

> please know that I am still in the process of knowing the Sastra. I

> don't know if my inherent understanding is valid or not. So take

it for

> what it is worth.

>

India has

even

to

valid

on

> the

clear

>

> Hindus believe that each sperm represents Atman, and the Atman

> represented by sperm that fertilizes the egg ends up taking root

in the

> new body to materialize after 9 months of pregnancy. So an aborted

> pregnancy is essentially denying this Atman a chance to dispense

its

> karma in this World. This denial by the hosting Pitris (couple

> undergoing abortion) is again the causal effect of the karma of the

> Atman trying to enter this World. Is abortion killing according to

Hindu

> view? Yes. In the physical plane the aborting couple is performing

an

> act of killing a human body no matter how partially formed it is.

Where

> as, in the spiritual realm, there is only denial but no killing has

> taken place because Atman cannot be killed. Depending on one's

reasons

> and intentions behind abortion, the Karma will be incurred by the

soul

> making that decision. That being said, there are cases where

abortion

> makes it a bit easier to cope with life (brutal rape case victims

who

> might meet with pregnancy, for example). At a spiritual level,

though,

> the person was experiencing bad karmic reaction (brutal rape) as a

> result of which she now bears a child, and by killing the physical

body

> of that child (abortion) the person might again be incurring some

more

> bad karma. So, thus, the karmic chain continues to entangle the

soul of

> the woman in question.

>

> I am morally against abortion because it pushes one further down

into

> karmic abyss, but politically I support legalization of abortion

> especially for such cases of rape victims, within and without

marriage

> bed, considering how it might absolutely torment the woman to

bring up

> the child of an unwanted union. In general, I don't believe in

> censorship of individual behavior because I don't think anybody

but God

> and His Devas have moral authority to judge the activities of

another

> human so long as the said human is not harming anyone without a

just

> reason (say, in, self-defense) . So I don't personally agree to

state

> censure on drugs, prostitution, gambling, etc., because in as much

as

> these activities may be ruining the indulging person they may not

be

> harming others. If a person wants to ruin himself or herself, s/he

> should be allowed the freedom to do that, even though they are not

> allowed to ruin anybody else along with them. So, whilst no

collateral

> damage is allowed, the complete freedom of treatment of one's own

life

> should be accorded to an adult. In case of abortions, though, this

> becomes tricky, because the aborting couple are actually making a

> decision to end someone else's life. Or at least it seems so on a

> physical plane; on a spiritual plane, however, as I've stated

earlier,

> the cause of the denial of human life to the Atman is again rooted

in

> that Atman's Karma.

>

> My liberal thoughts are based on the premise that the Atman

dwelling

> within all of us makes various choices on a physical plane based

on its

> own evolution and knowledge. If a person is hedonistic, it is not

> because the state has legalized various means of hedonism, but

because

> that is the only form of engagement that the Atman knows due to

previous

> Samskaara. My understanding is that Smriti doesn't pass judgments

on

> human behavior (a la thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife,

etc.),

> however, it does warn of what might come from base material

pursuits.

> Veda doesn't espouse the notion of an eternal hell. We believe that

> hells have to be experienced for our actions, and once

experienced, and

> lessons learned (hopefully) from that experience, existence of the

Atman

> in the higher loka (realms) is fully possible. Moksha, on the other

> hand, is a different matter all together.

>

as

out of

out of

through

that one

sought an

forum

> > enlighten me ?

>

> Most of the Euthanasia cases that I have come across involve an

> individual's right to take his/her life because his/her suffering

in

> living outdoes the moroseness of death. Smriti teaches us about

the role

> of Karma (which is further elaborated by Bhagawan in The Gita) in

human

> condition. As per that, a human (or any creature) are experiencing

their

> Karma at all times. So good or bad experiences are rooted in good

or bad

> Karma. So, horrible suffering that makes a person seek voluntary

death

> is resulting from horrendous Karma. Now, if only physical death

were to

> bring an end to that causal Karma! But it is not so. If one

exercises

> his/her free will and seeks early death, the Karma left to be

> experienced is still lurking right there. So if not in this life,

then

> another life. What is to be, will be.

>

> Now, to answer your question, abortion is not the same as

euthanasia. In

> euthanasia, the person whose life is in question may have a say in

> whether his life should be taken or not. In abortion, the person

whose

> life is in question has no say.

>

> Further more, I am sure that you must have heard of saints taking

> Samaadhi in the Hindu tradition. That is not Euthanasia, however.

These

> are highly evolved souls, and their perspective on death is

radically

> different than that of a man lost in Samsaara. These souls think in

> terms of their purpose on Earth, and once that purpose is met in

Bhu

> Loka, they believe it is time for them to go. It is almost like

they

> must be having a dialog with Yama to negotiate the best time to

leave

> this Loka based on when the purpose of their presence in Bhu Loka

has

> been met. It is not suffering that prompts such an individual to

leave

> the World but rather a sense of leaving a place once the Karma has

been

> dispensed. So, unlike in Euthanasia cases, the individual

undertaking

> Samadhi is not escaping from his/her Karma.

>

> Personally, I don't believe that Euthanasia should be practised

from a

> moral standpoint because of my beliefs in the Vedic view of human

> condition presented above. Euthanasia doesn't solve anything,

except may

> be postponing the experience of suffering to one (or many) of the

later

> lives. However, the same belief in the Smriti also compels me to

take a

> very liberal approach in this matter as well and propose

legalization of

> Euthanasia. There should be no other influence on human actions

but that

> of his own mind, intelligence, and soul when he is making

decisions that

> pertain solely to his own life on this planet. The only way he can

> ensure (that is, if he wishes to) that his decisions lead him

towards

> God is if he sought His continous guidance of his intellect

(Savitur

> Gayatri).

>

> Thank you for providing an opportunity for this discussion.

>

> Om Tat Sat Braahmanaarpanamastu,

> Reema.

>

> sohamsa , " subaseren " <subaseren@> wrote:

> >

> > Namsthe gurus:

> >

> > Euthanasia refers to ending life in a peaceful manner.

> >

> > Euthanasia (meaning good death in Greek) has been a controversial

> > subject. Some religions have opposed it (Catholics), some have

> tacitly

> > accepted it (Protestants) and some have changed their stance

> (Buddhist)

> > towards it in recent times. Some countries in Europe have

legalized

> it,

> > the State of Oregon (USA) have legalized it and Thailand (where

> Buddhism

> > is practiced widely) has also legalized it. The actual

mechanisms have

> > varied, so has the terminology, the medical/legal processes and

the

> > actual implementation.

> >

> > I am wondering what's the traditional and modern Hinduism's take

on

> it.

> > I have 3 specific questions on the subject and would like to hear

> > specific views:

> >

> >

India has

even

to

valid

on

> the

clear

> > 2. Typically to prolong life, astrologers advise the Maha

> Mritunjaya

> > homa or the mantra or prescribe other remedies. There are various

> hindu

> > stories/ anecdotes that support the claim of prolonging life. The

> > paradox is that more often the person concerned (whose death

could be

> > imminent) is rarely consulted and his family members decide

that he

> has

> > to live longer and conduct the puja/homam. The efficacy is

uncertain,

> > the premise that death can be postponed is flaky. However, let's

> accept

> > that death can be postponed due to the puja/homam for the sake of

> > argument.

as

out of

out of

through

that one

sought an

forum

> > enlighten me ?

> >

> > Finally, let me clarify that I am genuinely seeking answers and

let

> not

> > anyone interpret my questions as challenging hindu religion's

> > principles.

> >