IndiaDivine.org

Fw: [Ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Malla Ji has no respect for either mathematical proofs nor scriptural evidences. I wasted much of my time over him, but found that "the sole purpose ,in the name calender reform ,is to destroy Vikram Samvatsar calender."-VJGopal Goel <gkgoel1937To:

astrologyandremedies- ; vijayadas_pradeep; Sanjay Rath <sanjayrath; sohamsa <sohamsa >Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:58:00 PM Fw: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Mr. Malla,

SS gives the star position ,but it is not acceptable to Kaulji.

It looks funny.Taitrya Samhita 4.4.10 gives the names of all 27 Nakshatras.

The were adopted by SS.

EVEN MORE FUNNY WHEN SOME PERSONS SAY THAT VAHARAHA MIHIRA

WAS NOT AN ASTRONOMER AND HE HAD COPIED SS FROM EARLIER SOURCES OF SOME MALECHHAS.

I told you, the sole purpose ,in the name calender reform ,is to destroy Vikram Samvatsar calender.

In Brahat Sanhita chapter 3 shloka 2 , Mihira says;

' At present ,Sun becomes on southern course from sign CANCER ,and likewise on northern course from

Capricorn'

It is clear that Mihira is referring to sidereal signs.This confirms that necessity of AYANAMSA,

Initial point of sidereal zodiac was fixed after lot of deliberation.

Many Aryank Grantha and Purana's refer to the Lore of Visvarupa and Viritrasura. You may readily

get this Lore in Skand 6 Chapter 7 to 14 of Srimad Bhagvata Mahapuran. This lore indicates as to how

Acvini was accepted as 1st nakshatra . I have dealt it in my 'FOREWORD' to the translation of 'BRIHAT JATAKA'

PUBLISHED BY SAGAR PUBLICATION DELHI.(It is attached to your ready reference.)

By bringing back SIDEREAL ZODIAC about 15 degrees, it will not serve any useful purpose as both zodiacs are separating at a mean rate of 50.3 sec per year.

Regards.

G.K.GOELPh: 09350311433Add: L-409, SARITA VIHARNEW DELHI-110 076INDIA

Hari Malla <harimalla@rocketmai l.com>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comCc: sunil_bhattacharjya @Thursday, 23 April, 2009 11:17:15 AMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Sharamaji,

I have been wanting to communicate with you.I am happy to have got the chance to do so now.

I fully agree with you.Both the sun and the moon are needed.But the most important thing is how do we carry out our calender reform? My view is if we want to do as per our past method we have to do it like this:

We shift the nirayan solar uttarayan and the nirayan lunar uttarayan and bring it near the present sayan uttarayan, as was done last time our calender reform was done.What do you say? When it was shifted last tme, they shifted solar uttaryan from beginning of dhanistha to makar sankaranti, both of which are nirayan solar uttarayan..The lunar uttarayan ie magh sanna was shifted form maagha sukla pratipada to poush purnima both of which are nirayan lunar uttaryan.They did that as quoted by Barahmihir in his Brihad Samhita.Although the zero ayanamsa was around 285 AD, Barahmiir mentioned about it in the sixth century AD, that the uttarayan was then at makar sankranti (and thus shifted to the new position).We know from our practice today, that it was shifted to nirayan makar sankranti which we are celebrating even today although it is high time we shifted again.this time one whole month.

My question is is it Ok if we do as they did? If OK, then we have to shift Makar sankranti to Dhanu sankranti, and Poush purnima to Mangsir purnima.Then our calender reform is complete without any hassle.Thanking you, I remain,

Sincerley yours,Hari Malla

A Sharma <asharmanz >HinduCalendarThursday, April 23, 2009 8:24:13 AM[HinduCalendar] Re: Krittikadi

Om Namaste.

Is it possible that different groups had different calendars in ancient times? Perhaps the "solar races" followed solar calendar and "lunar races" followed lunar calendars.

And, how is this possible?

Hari Malla ji wrote: " The only affect on our mentality is from the lunar positions and months. ".

People are negatively affected by a cloudy day, in that, people usually become depressed. Plants grow towards sunlight and not moonlight.

I am of the opinion that the Lunar time measurement is the "fine adjustment" and the Solar time measurement is the "coarse adjustment". That is, without Solar, Lunar does not have basis. The hour-hand is Solar and the minute-hand is Lunar, so to speak.

Asharma.

Gopal Goel <gkgoel1937 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comThursday, April 23, 2009 6:17:37 AMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Malla ji ,

No doubt that tithis are nighter Tropical or sidereal in nature as they are calculated

by subtracting the longitudinal arc of Moon and Sun. But they are the part of Lunar month.

You can formulate the year in following manner:

1. Tropical Solar year

2. Sidereal Solar year

3. Lunar year ( as Muslim community do it)

4. Tropical Soli -lunar year

5. Sidereal Soli-Lunar year

We ,in India , follow last alternative in the form of Vikram Samvat calender since last 2066 years.

It had taken about 2000 years to formulate this excellent calender.This means its foundation was laid

around 2000B.C..Why we wand to break this long tradition.

We also follow Sidereal solar calender as called shaka calender

We also have Tropical soli-lunar calender.

Try to understand ,that in the name of calender reform , they simply want to discard sidereal soli-lunar

calender.Instead they should put their efforts to further reform our Vikram Samvat-sar calender.

Even Sidereal Time is adopted to calculate Ascendant and m.c.This proves the utility of sidereal

parameters.

All the above five calenders do have positive utility and they can not be merged ,as we can not change natural phenomenon.

Regards, G.K.GOELPh: 09350311433Add: L-409, SARITA VIHARNEW DELHI-110 076INDIA

Hari Malla <harimalla@rocketmai l.com>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comCc: sunil_bhattacharjya @Wednesday, 22 April, 2009 4:01:31 PMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Goelji,

Shall I say it as a brilliant idea to give the details of the panchanga as the starting point of our dicscussion. I would like to mention two things I have noted there:

1.The panchanga does not contain rashis and solar dates, which seems to be an indication that, it is not originally our system.Perhaps Kaulji is right in this aspect, to some extant.

2.There is no indication of seasons in your comments of th five parts.So may I suggest that the only place where we can include the seasons is at the lunar tithis.So the tithis become tropical too.Since the months are tied to nakshyatras and names accordingly, the tithis are both tropical and sidereal. Is this agreeable to you?Thank you for your careful analysis.

Regards,

Hari Malla

Gopal Goel <gkgoel1937 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comWednesday, April 22, 2009 3:46:44 PMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Mr. Malla,

There is absolutely no dispute.

Tropical Calender was not unknown to Vedic sages . They made a best use of it.

Panchang has five Limbs:

1.Lunar Tithis - These are free from Sidereal and Tropical controversy. As per present

definition whenever angular arc of Moon increases more than Sun by 12 degrees

along the ecliptic ,a tithi is changed.The moment of change will be the same all over the world.

This system was adopted about 2000B.C.

This was not so in the era of Mahabharata and before. In those days , if new moon occur today then

1st thithi will occur on next day and so on.

( This is the reason that Lord Rama was born on 9th thithi according to old system and on 8th thithi

according to present reckoning of tithi system. This is the reason that when Sun was in sidereal Aries , Moon was in last quarter of Punarvasu. Similarly Lord Krishna was born on 8th thithi according to old system and 9th thithi according to new system.)

2. Week Days- I do not know when they were put to universal use all over the world . They are Tropical

in nature. In India , day starts from Sun rise.This can be determined only with the help of Tropical Sun.

3. Nakshatra ; This is decided on the ingress of Moon in Nakshatras.Since Vedic days , this is the universal

practise. Over last 4000 years , Acavani is considered as first Nakshatra , and zodiac was divided in 27 equal

segments of 13deg. 20 min. each . In Astrology , Nakshatras are given prime importance.Even Movement of

Equinoxes and Solstice was observed in the background of stars. This is the backbone of Indian ancient Vedic and Puranic astrology and Mahurt Shastra. If one tries to negate or disown them , then a new astrology need to be written.Nakshatras are purely in Sidereal in nature.

Nakshatra dasas are very versatile and capable of giving accurate predictions compared to any other system.

This is purely in sidereal in nature.In India , we follow sidereal soli-lunar calender where , Lunar months are named on account of their proximity of nakshatra . Indian Lunar months have no relationship with Tropical solar months

-Madhu , Madhava etc.If these months were used in the past , this definitely does not imply that ancient sages had adopted Tropical ZODIAC.

4. YOGA- THE LONGITUDES OF SUN AND MOON ARE ADDED TOGETHER-IE atma(sun) + manha

(moon)= yoga ( jeeva-Jupiter) . It is Vedic lore that Jupiter ie Jeeva was born in Pusya Nakshatra,

As such first yoga -Viswakumbha commences from Pushya nakshatra and 27 in number.They are

obtained by adding sidereal longitudes of Sun and Moon. They are purely sidereal in nature.

TROPICAL LONGITUDES ARE ALSO ADDED TO CALCULATE ' maha-pat ' etc. But THEIR purpose is well defined.

5.KARAN : They are half of the Lunar tithi and changes when longitudinal arc between Moon and Sun increases

by 6 degrees. In past when a thithi is counted from sunrise to sunrise , there were diva and ratri karanas ie

a karna is operative from sunrise to sunset and sunset to sunrise..These are nighter sidereal or Tropical nature.

Our Samvat-sar calender is based on such basic principles.IN THE NAME OF CALENDER REFORM .THEY WISH

TO DESTROY THIS UNIQUE CALENDER.

REGARDS,

G.K.GOELPh: 09350311433Add: L-409, SARITA VIHARNEW DELHI-110 076INDIA

Hari Malla <harimalla@rocketmai l.com>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comWednesday, 22 April, 2009 7:57:21 AMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Goelji,

Thank you for your mail.. I am quite supporting the soli-lunar calender concept.In fact our calender is best for this reason only. I even feel the world towmorrow must take our type of calender for the sake of world peace.Otherwise the moslems with the luanr calender and the christians with the solar calender will always quarrel.But once they adopt our type they will comparatively be at peace.Thus my full agreement with you.

Now the problem is in understanding the nature of our basic lunar prioritised calender with respect to our festvals must also be considered in my view.Thus my proposal for coordinated system of calender reform, so that tropical and sidereal both get the due importance as per the original concept of time.It is very essential to understand that our original calaender had only tropical lunar months and no solar months.But our lunar months although tropical in concept had the flexibilty of being nirayan at the same time for over a thousand years.This is my claim from our history of calender and calender reform.

regards,

Hari Malla

Gopal Goel <gkgoel1937 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comCc: astrologyandremedie s ; vedic astrology; Ramadas Rao <ramadasrao (AT) (DOT) co.in>; prince <A_Foresight_ Prince_of_ India_Available>; Sanjay Rath <sanjayrath (AT) gmail (DOT) com>; sohamsa <sohamsa@ .com>Tuesday, April 21, 2009 11:18:05 PMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Malla ji,

Sidereal and Tropical zodiac takes 72 years to shift by one day only.A person

in his life time does not even notice this difference.

This problem was known to ancient sages.Let us see Kalchakra dasa as given in BPHS:

1. DASA PERIOD OF ALL PLANETS IS 72 YEARS(5+21+7+ 9+10+16+4) .

2 DASA OF ONE NAKSHATRA IS 354 YEARS (Lunar year is 354.36 days)

3.Varha Mihira describes the zodiac in shloka 4 of 'Brihat Jatak'.This shloka

contains 72 constants

THEY WERE KNOWING THAT THE POSITION OF STARS IN THE SKY MOVES APPROXIMATELY 1 DEGREE IN 72 YEARS , STILL THEY ADOPTED AND GIVEN PREFERENCE TO SIDEREAL ZODIAC.

IN ASTRONOMY NO TWO FIGURES ARE DIVISIBLE WITH EACH OTHER , AS SUCH , CALENDERS NEED

TO BE ADJUSTED AT REGULAR INTERVALS.

This does not warrant that we should discard our Soli-Lunar Samvat-sar calender which is in use

for last 2066 years and Panchang makers adopt most modern astronomical constants.This a fully

scientific calender where each parameter is calculated according to well defined norms.This meets

our all requirements according to Vedic and as well as Puranic sanctions.Please study 'NIRNAYA SINDHU'

REGARDS, G.K.GOELPh: 09350311433Add: L-409, SARITA VIHARNEW DELHI-110 076INDIA

Hari Malla <harimalla@rocketmai l.com>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comTuesday, 21 April, 2009 9:20:15 PMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Gopal Goelji,

I think I agree with the vikram sambat calender with one slight change.That is applying the coordinated system of calender reform.One clause has to be added to Surya sidhanta or the system of limiting the ayanamsa within 15 degrees.This is how we can bring all our festivals to the correct seasons.

What I find hard to understand the article written on the'Introduction of the vedic calender is why Mr.Sunil nair knowing that originally the months came from the moon asserts that vedic months Madhu Madhav are solar months.Goelji can you undertstand this stand of Sunil nair?

REgards,

Hari Malla

Gopal Goel <gkgoel1937 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Indian_Astrology_ Group_Daily_ Digest@grou ps.comCc: astrologyandremedie s Tuesday, April 21, 2009 3:30:00 PMRe: [ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

Dear Friends,

Do you think that Vikram sambat Caleneder is not based

on astronomical observations and meets the religeous and social requirement of

Indians (Hindus).

IT IS .

REGARDS, G.K.GOELPh: 09350311433Add: L-409, SARITA VIHARNEW DELHI-110 076INDIA

Avtar Krishen Kaul <jyotirved (AT) sify (DOT) com>hinducalendarWednesday, 15 April, 2009 6:59:19 PM[ind. & West. Astrology] Fwd: Introduction to Vedic Calendar

hinducivilization, "sunil nair" <astro_tellerkerala wrote:ancient_indian_ astrology, "sunil nair"<astro_tellerkerala @> wrote:Introduction to Vedic CalendarVedic calendar is an astronomical calendar based on movements ofheavenly bodies. It has no sectarian or communal colouring. Vedicscientific tradition of KÈlaga‡anÈ (Time calculation) wasbased upon the science of astronomy. The Vedic ÿ–is started theircalendar as per the location of Bharat (India) on the earth. At theearly Vedic period the calendar was started from Dak–i‡Èyana(Summer

solstice) to Dak–i‡Èyana (Summer solstice) keeping inview the location of Bharat (India) in the southern hemisphere of theearth. Later when Bharat shifted to the equator, the calendar wasstarted from Vasanta SampÈt (Vernal Equinox) to Vasanta SampÈt(Vernal Equinox) and lastly it was started from UttarÈya‡a(Winter solstice) to UttarÈya‡a depending upon the shift ofBhartiya (Indian) continent to the northern hemisphere. Thus in theVedic period the year was first started from Dak–i‡Èyana , thenfrom Vasanta SampÈt and lastly from UttarÈya‡a . This fact iscorroborated by the dates of commencements of present Kaliyuga , otherYugas and various astronomical eras named as Manvantaras and Kalpaswhich are still fresh in the memory of Vedic scientific tradition...Presently in Bharat (India) the year starts from Vasanta SampÈt(vernal equinox). Whereas in Europe the year is started from

Januarywhich has no astronomical or scientific basis. The same is currentlybeing followed in the entire world now. Following the Vedic scientifictradition and reviving the old scientific values, the present VedicCalendar/Almanac has been prepared from UttarÈya‡a (Wintersolstice) to UttarÈya‡a (Winter solstice).Here it may also be clarified that Vedic seers measured the year afterthe one revolution of earth round the sun and measured a solar month onthe basis of sun's transition into one zodiac sign. There being the 12zodiac signs, 12 solar months were calculated. Moon's revolution roundthe earth was also made the basis of measurement of one lunar month. Theday was measured as the 30 th part of the total time taken by sun into aparticular zodiac sign, earth's one rotation round its axis as well asmoon's 12 0 revolution round the earth. Thus the Vedic calendar may becalled as the solar calendar

having synthesis with the lunar calendar sofar as the days or tithis are concerned. The present calendar also citesthe Vedic names of various solar and lunar months as given respectivelyin Yajurveda (20.30-31) and Taittiriya BrÈhma‡a (3.10.1). Vedicnames of various lunar months have been given along with the presentlypopular names of lunar months, viz. Pau–a, MÈgha etc. Vedic solarmonths and Christian months have been cited in separate columns. Vedicnames of lunar months have been cited in the last column of Festival/Parvas .Indian Standard Time (IST) : Indian standard time (IST) is 5.30 hoursbehind the Greenwich time For instance, when it si 6.30AM in Greenwich,it will be 12 O' clock in the noon in India. This time for the firsttime was fixed in July 1905 by the order of the then BritishAdministrator of India, Lord Curzon. During the time of world war secondthis time was increased by one

hour,i.e. it was made 6.30 hours behind.5.30. After the war was over, it was again fixed at the previous limits,i.e. 530 hours. Actually this was based upon the line of longitudepassing through 82`.30 0 east of Greenwich near Mirjapur in UP. Thepresent calendar has been prepared on the basis of IST (82` 30 0 Eastand 25`.15 0 North) , so that it may become easy for residents in othercountries to calculate the timings for their respective countrieseasily.Formula for Calculating time for various countries : The presentcalendar has been prepared according to Indian Standard time (IST) 82.300 east of Greenwich. If you want to find out the time of a tithi (lunarday), constellation or the Moon sign or Sun sign, Sa×kranti as perthe standard time of a particular country, first subtract 5.30 hoursfrom the Indian standard Time (IST) given in the present calendar. Thensubtract the difference of time of a

particular place or country fromGreenwich time if it is behind the Greenwich time, or add the verydifference if it is ahead the Greenwich time. For example MakaraSa×krÈnti starts at 24.00 of Dec. 21, 2005 in India. If we want tofind out the time of Kumbha Sa×krÈnti at New York, USA, we shallfirst subtract 5.30 hours from Indian standard time of 24.00 given inthe calendar and get 18.30 of 21 December of 2005 . Suppose thedifference of New York time from Greenwich time is 4 hours behind, thenthese 4 hours have to be subtracted again from 18.40 which works out tobe 14.30 of Dec. 21, 2005 . Thus the time of Makara Sa×krÈnti asper New York time will be 14.30 of Dec. 21, 2005 ...Historical and Astronomical Events / Festivals : The present calendarcontains the reference to historical and astronomical events/ festivals..The fact is that a calendar needs to be updated every 72 years onaccount of

earth's precession. The present Indian calendar was fixedsome 1692 years ago during SiddhÈntic period starting from¶ryabha——a etc. This calendar has receded behind 23.5 0 whichneeds to be updated. If an event or festival has been mentioned in thepresent calendar as historical it has its relation to various periods inthe past. But if it is mentioned as astronomical, it denotes the updatedone. For example the historical Makara Sa×krÈnti is 1692 years oldand astronomical is updated one. Similarly historicalMahÈ„ivarÈtri used to take place 5112 years ago and historicalPit‚pak–a goes back prior to Vaivasvata period i.e. more than13,00,00,000 (130 million) years ago when Indian Continent was tenantingsouthern hemisphere of the earth. Paura‡ika Festivals have beencited with the word ' Paurȇika ' into brackets.What is Tithi or Lunar day ? : Moon takes one revolution of 360 0 roundthe

earth in 27 hours 43 minutes and 12 seconds. This one round makesone lunar month. PÊr‡imÈ (full moon ) signals the end of thelunar month. On PÊr‡imÈ , moon and sun are 180 0 apart fromeach other. After PÊr‡imÈ they start coming closer to eachother and at the time of AmÈvasyÈ they are exactly at the sameplace or house. After AmÈvasyÈ Moon and Sun starts going away fromeach other. Their 12 0 distance from each other is called one tithi . Onthe other hand it can be stated that Moon's 12 0 (360 / 30=12)revolution round the earth is called one lunar day or tithi , sincemonth is supposed to consist of 30 days.. Note : the dark and brighthalves if Lunar months have been shown here by 'K' and 'S' respectively.What is UttrÈya‡a and Dak–i‡Èyana? On 22 nd of Dec. Sunis down south i.e. perpendicular at 231/2 0 south of the earth. Afterthat it starts moving towards north. This northward

movement of Sun from22 nd of Dec. is known as the start of UttarÈya‡a or wintersolstice. Sun's northward movement culminates on 21 st June at thenorthern most point i.e. at 231/2 0 north. Afterwards its reverse(southward) movement starts from 22 nd of June. That is known as thestart of Dak–i‡Èyana of (summer solstice). Thus the period from22 nd Dec. to 21 st June is known as UttarÈya‡a or wintersolstice and the period from 2 nd of June till 21 st of Dec. is known asDak–i‡Èyana of (summer solstice).What is Sa×krÈnti ? : Sun's transition from one Zodiac sign toanother Zodiac sign is called Sa×kranti . For example Sun's entryinto Makara sign is known as Makara Sa×kranti.What is Pit‚yÈna and DevayÈna ? Sun's presence in the southernhemisphere is known as Pit‚yÈna . Sun tenates in the southernhemisphere from 21 st March to 22 nd Dec. So the period from 23 rd Sept.to 21 st

March is known as Pit‚yÈna . Similarly Sun's presence inthe northern hemisphere is known as DevayÈna . Sun tenates in thenorthern hemisphere from 21 st March to 23 rd Sept. So the period from21 st March to 23 rd Sept. is known as DevayÈna .What is Manvantara ? : Sun's one revolution round Parame–—hiMa‡Çal or Galaxy is called as Manvantara . The period of oneManvantara is 30,84,48,000. There are 71 MahÈyugas in a Manvantara .The present Manvantara is known as Vaivasvata Manvantara .What is Kalpa? : Galaxies in the universe are revolving round theSvÈyambhuva Ma‡Çala (Super Galactic centre).. One revolution ofour Galaxy round the SvÈyambhÊva Ma‡Çala (Super Galacticcenter) is called a Kalpa . A Kalpa contains 4,32,00,00,000 years. Thepresent Kalpa is known as ƒveta VÈrÈha Kalpa . There are sevenManvantara or 1000 MahÈyugas in a Kalpa . So far six Manvantaras (SvÈyambhuva ,

SvÈroci–a , Uttama , TÈmas , Raivata andCÈk–u–a ) have passed since the commencement of present Kalpa. The present one named as ƒveta VÈrÈha Kalpa is the seventhManvantara in the series.How to know the RÈ„à (Zodiac Sign/ Star) and Nak–tra(Constellation) of Newly born Baby and Name him/her Accordingly? : TheRÈ„à / star of a newly born baby should be identified according tothe Moon sign (cited in the present calendar) prevalent at the time ofhis birth. The constellation of a child can also be easily located fromthe nak–tra / constellation column of this calendar keeping in viewthe time of his birth. Naming of a newly born baby according to his/herRÈ„à /Star of birth can be don e according to the following index.If the child is born in Me–a (Aries) star, his /her name shouldstart with the letters `Chu','Che', `Cho', `La', `Li',`Lu',`Le', `Lo', `A'.If the child is born

in V‚–abha (Taurus) star, his /her name shouldstart with letters `I', `U', `E', `O' `Va',`Vi', `Vri', `Ve', `Vo'.If the child is born in Mithuna (Gemini) star, his /her name shouldstart with the letters `K', `Ki', `Ku', `Ke', `Ko',`Gha', `Cha', `Ha'.If the child is born in Karka (Cancer) star, his /her name should startwith the letters `Hi', `Hu', `He', `Ko', `D',`Di', `Da', `De', `Do'.If the child is born in Si×ha (Leo) star, his /her name should startwith the letters `Ma', `Mi', `Mu', `Me', `Mo',`Ta', `Ti', `Tu', `Te'.If the child is born in KanyÈ (Virgo) star, his /her name shouldstart with the letters `To', `Pa', `Pi', `Pu', `Pe'`Po'. `Sh', `Na', `Th'.If the child is born in TulÈ (Libra) star, his /her name should startwith the letters `Ra','Ri', `Ru', `Re', `Ro', `Ta',`Ti', `Tu' and `Te'...If the child is born in V‚–cika (Scorpio) star, his /her nameshould start

with the letters `To', `Na',`Ni', `Nu',`Ne', `No', `Ya', `Ye', `Yu'.If the child is born in Dhanu (Sagittarius) star, his /her name shouldstart with the letters `Ye', `Yo', `Bha', `Bhi',`Bhu', `Bhe', `Dha', `Pha', `Tha' .If the child is born in Makara (Capricorn) star, his /her name shouldstart with the letters `Bho', `Ja', `Ji', `Khi',`Khu', `Khe', `Kho', `Ga', `Gi'.If the child is born in Kumbha (Aquarius) star, his /her name shouldstart with the letters `Gu', `Ge', `Go', `Sa', `Si',`Su', `Se', `So', `Da'.If the child is born in Mina (Pisces) star, his /her name should startwith the letters `Di', `Du', `De', `Do', `Tha',`Jha', `Cha', `Chi'.Computation of time since Creation : The Indian tradition has been ableto maintain the full record of time period passed since the origin ofthis Universe as well as the creation of life on the Earth. Thecomputation of time was regularly done through

the tradition ofSaÅ kalpa PÈ—has read every day at the time of performingYaj¤as and on the occasion of various rites and ceremonies connectedwith the compartmentalised life of an individual. This SaÅ kalpatradition is observed uniformly in the various parts of the countryexcept geographical references. Geographical reference has to differnaturally owing to various geographical situations of various regions.The extant SaÅ kalpa tradition reads as under :(adya brahma‡o dvitÃye prÈrddhe „vetavÈrÈha kalpesaptame vaivasvata manvantare a—ÈviŠ„atitame kaliyugekaliprathama cara‡e 5107 gatÈbde ) .The above SaÅ kalpa tradition computes the time elapsed so far sincethe end of the previous creation cycle and origin of present cycle. Asper the contents of the SaÅ kalpa-pÈ—ha first half ( ParÈrdha) of BrahmÈ has elapsed and the first ( Æ’veta VÈrÈhakalpa )of second ParÈrdha is in

currency. First half of the age of BrahmÈcan be calculated as 50 BrÈhma years. This period comes about to be15,55,21,97, 29,49,107 (155 trillion) years. This means that15,55,21,97, 29,49,103 (155 trillion) years have elapsed since end of theprevious cycle of creation and the origin of present cycle consisting ofSvÈyaŠbhuva Ma‡Çala , Parame–—hi Ma‡Çala (Galaxies),SÊrya Ma‡Çala (Stars), P‚thivi Ma‡Çala (Planets) andCandra Ma‡Çala (Satellites) . In this large chain of creation,SvÈyaŠbhuva Ma‡Çala (Super-Galactic centre) originated14,93,29,49, 107 (14.93 billion) years ago. Parame–—hi Ma‡Çala(Galaxies) came into existence 10.61,29,49, 107 (10.61 billion) yearsago. SÊrya Ma‡Çala (Star of our solar-system) was formed6,29,29,49,106 (6.29 billion) years ago. The Earth originated somewhereabout 4,32,00,00,000 (4.32 billion) years ago and the life sprang on itaround

1,97,29,49,107 (1.97 billion) years ago. As the very SaŠkalpaindicates that since the beginning of ƒvetavÈrÈha kalpa 'i.e.'first day (Kalpa) of BrahmÈ's second ParÈrdha , six Manus haveelapsed and of the present seventh Vaivasvata Manu , 27 MahÈyugashave also elapsed. The 28th MahÈyuga is in currency, of whichK‚ta , TretÈ and DvÈpara have also gone. Of the presentKaliyuga , 5107 years have already passed and the year 5107 is about toend on June 21 st . Thus the 51st century of the present Kaliyuga hasended and the 52nd century is in currency. Concluding the abovediscussion one may safely and unhesitatingly say that the world hasstepped into the 52nd century of 28 th Kaliyuga of the seventhManvantara of the 51 st Kalpa (or first Kalpa of second Parardha ofBrahmÈ) since the beginning of the present creation cycle and theorigin of life on this globe and not into the 21st century as

ispropagated and considered the world over.Origin and Development of Calendars in the WorldToday December is considered as the last month of the year throughoutthe world and so 1 st January is celebrated as the beginning of the newyear. So far as the Vedic culture in Bharat is concerned, it doesn'tcelebrate January as the beginning of the year, rather as perBharatÃya calculations Var–a pratipadÈ (first day of the year)falls either on the day of vernal equinox or winter solstice or summersolstice. As such a curious mind may a ask a question why there is adifference regarding the commencement of new year as per the Indian viewand the view of the rest of world.Here the answer lies in observing scientific and non-scientificattitudes. This difference also reflects the advancement of science andscientific awareness during Vedic age. The Vedic people had enjoyedscience and scientific notions to

the extent that various rites,rituals, social traditions were developed and organised scientificallyin the light of the scientific laws / awareness persisted in thatperiod. Interestingly, in the Vedic period, science was described anddefined by the term Dharma . Dharma had different connotations indifferent scientific contexts. It stood for the scientific lawssustaning universal creation so far as physical and astrophysicalsciences are concerned. In the context of metaphysical sciences, Dharmadenoted the moral and spiritual laws sustaining the bio-life in thisuniverse. To the Vedic seer everything that was in accordance withDharma was acceptable and everything standing against Dharma was notacceptable. That is why, there became prevalent the concepts of Dharmaand Adharma . Dharma was never taken in the sense of religion orreligious sects as we do it today. The above cited Vedic notion ofDharma has

been pointed out by YÈska, one of the leading ancientVedic scholars, in one of his observations as follows :sÈk–Èt k‚tdharmȇaÌ ‚–ayo babhÊvuÌ (Nirukta , 1.20)"That is there were born ÿ–is who visualized universal laws ofnature in the form of Vedas."Following the same Vedic notion of Dharma and Adharma , DayanandaSarasvati, a living embodiment of Vedic life and thought in the middleof the 50 th century of Kali era (19 th century of Christ) announced inthe fifth principle of Arya Samaj : "All the acts should be done inaccordance with Dharma i.e. after deliberation of what is true(scientific) and what is not true (unscientific) . Thus the concept ofDharma was having a notion of science behind it, and the same was thevery basis of Vedic life and thought. That is the reason why, all sortsof Vedic traditions and rituals reflect a kind of scientific attitude ofVedic people and

conveys some scientific significance behind them. Thesame thing holds true with regard to the traditions inherited by modernIndian society from their Vedic ancestors.Now coming to the very question of celebrating the new year. I have nohesitation to say that howsoever scientifically advanced and developedhas become the modern society, it has not come out of its narrowconfines of communalism, regionalism, racism and fundamentalism. It isusing science in the scientific field and in its personal or social lifeit is using sectarian and social biases and taboos howsoeverunscientific they may be. The old paradigm (i.e. so far as science isconcerned, the Earth moves round the Sun and so far as Bible isconcerned, Sun moves round the Earth) is still haunting us. So calledmodern society is still living with double standards. On one hand weclaim to be scientifically advance, on the other hand we want to

bedwarfed by the narrow sentiments of communalism, regionalism, racism andfundamentalism. We have not yet started living science in our personaland social life which is governed by the above slogans. Until and unlesswe do so, we will continue to fight and terrorise each other in the nameof various -isms.If we want to get rid of all these problems, we shall have to go back tothe Vedas, which was once the way of life on the whole Globe. Vedicsociety was the society which lived a life according to Dharma(science). It was not ridden with any sort of taboos governed by anysort of -ism. It tried to live what was DhÈrmika or scientific andshunned what was considered to be opposite to Dharma , i.e.unscientific.We people in the modern age are undoubtedly using science for ourconvenience and comforts but are living superstitions, delusions, biasesof all kind, hypothetical and preconceived notions

ignoring science.Whereas Vedic people enjoyed science as well as lived science in theirlives. The modern world owes a lot to the Vedas and Vedic traditioninspite of its highest scientific advancement. That is why, which cannotbe known with the help of modern science, can easily be unravelled withthe help of extant Vedic traditions.The concept of new year is the glaring example of the above observation.In the early periods, Vedic calendar system was uniformly prevalent allover the Globe, there being only one Vedic culture prevalent on theEarth. Later on when the Vedic people on the entire Globe began to loosetheir contact with their mainstream in Bharat for want of accessibilityfrom one region to another, there started developing variations andchanges in the actual Vedic heritage inherited by people on the variousparts of the Globe owing to their particular personal, regional or otherreasons. Thus

looking back to Vedas we would be able to ascertain theorigin and development of calendar system of the world.As indicated earlier, the calendar system in the world was firstdiscovered by Vedic people during the Vedic age. Vedic people were alsothe first discoverer of the time calculation system in the world. Theydiscovered both solar and lunar calendars. Later they also discovered aluni-solar calendar based on harmonisation of lunar and solar cycles.This Vedic calendar was known as luni-solar or synodic lunar calendar,being based on the synthesis of both lunar and solar cycles. A lunationor a lunar month has a length of 29.530588 days or roughly 29.5 daysbased upon moon's revolution round the earth. This period of 29.5 daysis divided in the subdivisions with round figures of 30 tithis . Tithiwas considered a day. Thus if we divide 29.5 days by 30 tithis, thequotient will be .983 which shows that the

tithi is shorter by day by.017 days (1-.983=.017) or .408 hours (.017(24=.408) or 24.48 minutes(.408(60=24. 48). Similarly the length of a lunar month (29.5 days) comesshorter by solar month (365.25(12=30. . . 4375 days) by .9375 days(30.4375-29. 5=.9375) or 22.5 hours. On the other hand, we can say thatwith the passing of one synodic (solar) month, a lunation (lunar month)stands in excess of .9375 days or 22.5 hours and so with every 32.46 orsay 32.5 solar months exceeds one lunar month. This excess orintercalated month was called Adhika mÈsa or Mala mÈsa duringVedic age.vedamÈso dh‚tavrato dvÈda„a prajÈvataÌvedÈ ya upajÈyate. ( ÿgveda 1.25.8)"That is the knower of the natural laws, knows the twelve months and theintercalary month."The calendars formulated on this principle register dual months like twoPau–as , two Maghas , etc. after 32.5 months and dropped the

secondintercalated month thereafter to allow the lunar months go in line withsynodic months. This was one of the method applied in formulating thesynodic lunar calendar in the Vedic tradition.Another method was developed in view of duration of tithis in lunar andsolar years. This method used to be applied in the ÿgvedic traditionas pointed out by ÿgjyoti–a . Accordingly, if the length of monthand year are measured in tithis , the lunar year has a duration of30(12= 360 tithis or 354 solar days (29.5(12=354) . If we divide 360tithis by 354 solar days (360(354) we get that one solar day is equal to1.0169 tithis. Thus a solar year will have (1.0169(365. 25=) 371.09tithis as compare to 360 of a lunar year. Thus a solar year has371.09-360=11. 09 tithis extra than a lunar year, which is calledÿtu„e–a in VedÈ×ga jyotisa . On the other hand we canfairly say that with the passing of one solar

year, one lunar yearstands in excess of 11.09 tithis . At the end of each solar year, thisÿtu„e–a of 11.09 tithis gets added and ultimately when thetotal of tithis exceeds 30, they constitute an additional month. Vedicpeople found out that the exact harmony of lunar and solar years takesplace after 19 years where 7 such additional lunations takes place. Forinstance, total tithis of solar year in 19 years will be371.09(19=7049. 95 and of lunar year be 360(19= 6840. The excess tithisof lunar cycle in 19 years are 7049.95-6840= 209.95 days. This number isexactly equal to seven additional months, i. e. 30(7= 210 days. Perhapsthese results inspired some schools of Vedas, as is obvious fromLagadh's Veda×ga Jyoti–a , to frame a yuga of 19 years with oneleap year in each yuga. Lagadha also records 18 years with 371 lunardays and 19 th year with 372 lunar days. Thus we see that some schoolsof Vedic

thought observed a 19 year yuga cycle consisting of 235 synodiclunar months.We also find the above method of harmonising the luni-solar calendar, inaddition to 19, into the multiple of 19, such as 95 years in theYÈju–a tradition of Vedas. But the 19 years luni-solar cycleremained a popular base.Here it may also be noted that the time calculations based on lunar andsolar cycles led to the origin of lunar dynasties and solar dynastiesamong the Vedic people in Bharat. Vedic civilisation in Bharat is theoldest civilisation on the Earth. The Vedic people from Bharat were thefirst people who inhabited the entire globe at various phases of times.These migrations from Bharat to various parts of Globe took place in theearly ages as well as after nuclear and atomic war of MahÈbhÈrata.High radiation generated due to nuclear war of MahÈbhÈratacompelled the people from northern parts of Bharat to migrate

to saferplaces. Thus wherever the Vedic people spread on the earth, they tookalong with them their Vedic heritage. Today also Vedic people on thevarious parts of Globe can be identified with the remnants of the Vedicheritage they are carrying along with them. For instance, the Vedicmigrants from solar dynasties to Egypt are still known as the peoplebelonging to hemitic race and Vedic migrants from lunar dynasties arekeeping their history of migration alive in the name of semitic races inChina, Arab, Babylon, Syria, Mangolia, Irak, Iran, Tartar, and Judia.The languages of semitic people are known as Semitic ones and hemiticpeople as Hemitic ones. The word Hema has corrupted from sÊrya orhema as helios. The renowned city of sun in Egypt is known as"Helispolis" and the first king of Egypt "Menes" came from the race ofSun, Vaivasvata Manu. According to Pococke, the writer of India inGreece (P. 178)

edited by the present author as ` Indian Origin ofGreece and Ancient world ', first king of Egypt was associated to theManu Vaivasvata of Patriarch of the solar race. Thus the entire Bharatwas divided into lunar and solar dynasties and the entire world also gotdivided into hemitic and semitic races according to the solar or lunarclass of the migratory people from Bharat. That is why, the entire worldis having the signatures of Vedic tradition carried either by theemigrants from lunar race or the solar race. Same is the case with thecalendar systems prevalent in various countries.In China the descendants of King PururavÈ (According to Col. Tod,Annals of Rajasthan , Vol. 1. p. 35, ` The genealogists of China andTartary declare themselves to be the descendants of `Awar' son ofHindu King `Pururawa') carried along with them the 19-yearluni-solar cycle consisting of 235 lunations which represented

the19-year yuga of 235 synodic lunar months developed by Vedic people.Yadus of lunar race of Bharat now known as Jews migrated to Judia afterthe great war of India (According Pococke, India in Greece , p.22,`The tribe of Yudha is, in fact, the very Yadu of which considerablenotice has been taken in my previous remarks. According to Col. Tod,Tod's Rajasthan , p. 529, The annals of the Yadus of Jaisalmer statethat long anterior to Vikrama, they held dominion from Ghazani tosamarkand). They also carried along with them the Vedic concept ofluni-solar calendar based on 19-year cycle with intercalations in 3, 6,8, 11, 14, 17 and 19 years. The intercalation is made in the months ofAdar (Feb.- March).Vedic emigrants in Babilonia [According to `Historical History ofthe World, vol.1, p. 89, `The name of Babilonian storm God was Matuor Martu which, as we have seen, was the same as the Vedic Marut andmust

have been taken by the Pa‡is and Cholas (of ancient Bharat) toBaylonia. Robert Brown says, ` This stellar and originally solar Ramstands at the head of the 10 antediluvian Babylonion kings...'. See` Origin of Week ' by Sham Shastri published in Annals of BhandarkarInstitute vol. iv, Part 1, July 1922)] also used to bring lunar year of354 days into line with solar year of approximately 365 days. This wasaccompanied by the use of intercalated month. The special name given tointercalated month was ' iti diring '. But due to loss of memory and forwant of connection with the mainstream in Bharat, the intercalation wasoperated haphazardly according to real or imagined needs and eachSumerian city intercalated months at its will. Later in 380 B.C. theysucceeded in computing an almost perfect equivalence in a luni-solarcycle of 19 years and 235 months with intercalations in the years 3, 6,8, 11, 14, 17 and 19

of the cycle.The emigrants of lunar dynasty in Arab (The name Arab is derived fromSanskrit ` arva ' meaning horse) followed the lunar cycle only fortheir calendar totally ignoring the solar cycle.The Vedic migrants in Greek (Considerable evidences of emigration ofIndians to Greece have been given by the author of India in Greece )also used a lunar calendar consistent with solar days. They completedthe year in 354 days with 12 lunar months, alternatively consisting of30 days and 29 days. But they lost the heritage and missed the seasons.King Solan therefore tried to introduce an intercalary month toharmonise the lunar year with seasons, but he was unsuccessful.In Egypt, the Vedic emigrants (According to Col. Olcott, Theosophist forMarch 1881, p. 123, `We have a right to more than suspect thatIndia, eight thousand years ago, sent a colony of emigrants who carriedtheir arts and high civilisation into

what is now known as Egypt.') fromsolar dynasty used solar calendar. They kept their heritage intact andremembered that an year consists of 365 days. They divided the year in12 months consisting of 30 days each, and added 5 days at the end ofyear. Yet the seasons rotated in a cycle of 1460 years due to a mistakeof about 1/4 day in an year, because 365(4 = 1460 years. Modernastronomers call the period of 1460 years as Sothic cycle.The Parasoos, the people of Parasu Ram from Bharat who migrated toPersia ( India in Greece , p. 45) also remembered the year of 365 daysand so they also used to add 5 days after an interval of 360 days toconstitute an year of 365 days.Vedic emigrants in Rome (`Both among Greeks and Romans - thedescendants of colonists from India, continued, specially amongsts thelatter people down to and throughout the most historical periods.' Indiain Greece , p. 142) totally forget this

division of zodiac in 12 parts.They used to count 10 months in a year and left some days uncounted.They begin with a fresh year with full moon in spring season as was intheir memory. The names of their months were still driven from theiroriginal language, the Sanskrit such as unus from eka , duo from dvau ,tria from traya , quinque from pa¤ca , sex from –a— , septemfrom sapta , octo from a–—au , noven from navan , decem fromda„an . The presently extant names like September, October, Novemberand December clearly substantiate this fact. The term ambar isindicative of zodiac in the Sanskrit language. These 12 zodiac signswere known as 12 ambars/rÈsis or stars and as a result, the names ofmonths were coined by suffixing ambar /amber to the numbers. With thepassage of time, first to six months were renamed either after somehistorical personalities or some specific historical events, though

thelast four months survived in their original form signalling their veryorigin to the Vedic system.The Romulian calendar consisting of 10 months beginning from March asthe first month upto December as last month remained in vogue till 452B.C. when Numa Pompilius introduced the custom of inserting 23 days atthe interval of two years. But the introduction of 23 days became thebone of contention between the religious heads. This was at last removedby Julius Caesar who with the help of Cleopatra, the empress of Egyptreformed the Romulian calendar after the fashion of Egyptian calendar.This reform was known as Julian reform or Julian arrangement ofcalendar. The history goes like this.Cleopatra was the empress of Egypt. She was Greek by birth and belongedto the dynasty founded by Tolami, a commander of Alexander. Followingthe death of Alexander, Tolami declared his domain over Egypt. Cleopatrawas

from his dynasty. She was born in 3033 Kali era or 68 B.C. Followingthe death of her father Tolami, the 11th, she took over the reign ofEgypt along with her brother Tolami, the 12th. But she was overthrown byher brother in the war of succession. She formed an army in Cypress andtried to recapture power. In the meantime, defeated by Caesar and fledto Egypt a brave soldier named Pompy was guillotined by Tolamy. With theview to please Caesar he (Tolami) presented his body to Caesar, butCaesar got annoyed at this. To make a good use of this event, Cleopatrahiding herself in the precious carpets purchased by Romans met Caesarand he was also taken in by her exquisite beauty. He captured the regimefrom Tolami and handed it over to Cleopatra. Afterwards, both Caesar andCleopatra roamed about the banks of the river Nile for many weeks.Cleopatra gave birth to a child who was named as Caesarean, i.e. theJunior

Caesar. When the queen of Egypt started domiciliating the palaceof Rome as a queen-dowager, the artisans, economists and astrologerswere sent for from Alexanderia, the capital of Egypt. Roman taxationsystem was reformed and a new currency was introduced. Roman calendarwas also amended by dividing the whole year into 365 days by adding twomore months to the already existing 10 months, after the fashion ofEgyptian calendar. Since the time of Julius Caesar (46 B.C.), the Romancalendar used to have 12 months with the new year commencing with Marchas the first amber (month).March continued to be the beginning or the legal year in England until18th century. In France, it was reckoned as the first month of the yearuntil 1564, when by an edict of Charles IX, January was decreed to bethe first month, so that the year may end with December, the month ofJesus Christ's birth. Scotland followed the example of

France.The history goes further and we are told that during this arrangement,the quintilis amber (fifth month of Romulian calendar) was named July bythe Egyptian astronomers to felicitate Julius Caesar, as he was born on12th of this month. This month was also assigned 31 days, since Caesarwas the most powerful king of Rome. On the other hand Caesar also, inturn, felicitated Cleopatra by constructing a temple of Goddess ofVenus. Illuckily, Caesar died after two years in 44 B.C. and Cleopatrahad to return to her kingdom, Egypt.Later Julius Augustus also named the sixth amber (sixtilis) after hisname as August and also assigned 31 days to his month, since heconsidered himself no less brave than Julius Caesar.Similarly, the first amber was named as Mars or March after the god ofwar. Actually, this was not only the beginning of the year, but was theopen spring season for waging war. That was why, it was

named afterMars, the god of war. 'Mars" being the powerful god was also assigned 31days.The second amber, April, was named after latin aperire 'to open' inallusion to its being the season when trees and flowers beginning to'open' and is supported by comparison with the modern Greek word'opening' for spring. It was given fourth place in Julian calendar.The third amber was named Maius by Romulus in respect to the senatorsand nobles of his city, who were called Majores. Being associated withMajores, it was also given 31 days. It became the fifth in Juliancalendar, which later came to be known as May.The fourth amber was called Junius in honour of the youths of Rome (i.e. Juniares) who served Romulus in war. Junius later came to be knownas June.Januarius (January) and Februarius (February) were added at the end as11th and 12th amber to the series by Numa Pompilius. Though in Julianarrangement

their place was changed otherwise and they were consideredto be the first and second months of the year. In fact, the name Januaryis also identifiable with Sanskrit Ganesh. Ganesh of Indian tradition isknown as Janus in Roman tradition. Since Ganesh is the symbol ofbeginning of every act in Indian tradition, the month named after Janusas Januarius was also used by Romans as the beginning of the year.February was spelled by the Romans as Februarius. That also came fromSanskrit Pravar, meaning sage or seer. Thus Pravaresh being the lord ofsages. We know that Sanskrit ' p ' was replaced by 'f'' in Europe.Consequently Pravaresh became Februarius in Roman. So the term Pravareshalias Februarius signified God as the Lord of the sages. This is theactual history of the two months added to the Julian calendar. Inpractical sense they still continue to be the last months. Since all theadditions and subtractions

are made to the last member of the series.Feb., being the last one, always adds a day in case of a leap year.From the foregoing discussion it can unhesitatingly be inferred that allthe English months can be traced back to Sanskrit via Greek, Roman andEgyptian ones.However, the above discussion sheds an ample good light on how thescientific arrangement of months of an year done by Vedic people got anunscientific and communal colouring at the hands of their emigrant inEurope and else where... The assignment of 31 or 30 days too to variousmonths of the year was done in tune with the slogans of 'Might is right'ignoring any justification or norms. Similarly the assignment of thestatus of last (12 th ) month to the 10 th month simply because JesusChrist was born in that month shows the communal bias of Christians tochristianise the whole world or allow the whole world to celebrate andpractise the

Christian traditions in disguised forms. Here it may not beout of context to inform everybody, even to our Christian brothers, thatthe word christ-mas do not signify the birth day of Christ, but themonth of the birth of Christ. Since -mas is formed from Sanskrit term`mÈsa' meaning `month'. In Vedic times, the measurement ofmonth didn't owe either to rotation or revolution of the Earth but itowed to the Moon's revolution round the Earth. The following statementof ÿgvedic ÿ–i is noteworthy:aru‡o mÈsak‚d v‚kaÌ ( RV . 1.105.18)Moon is the maker of months.Yaska's commentary is noteworthy here.aru‡aÌ Èrocano mÈsak‚n mÈsÈnÈŠ cÈrdhamÈsÈnÈŠ ca kartÈ bhavati candramÈ v‚kaÌThat is, Moon is the maker of months and fortnights.In fact, the term mÈsa is formed from -mas of Candra-mas itself.MÈsa means to measure - mÈsÈ mÈnÈt ( Nirukta , 4.27).Since the moon measures

the constellations in the sky, the action ofmeasuring is associated with Moon. Keeping in view the same measuringaction, Greeks called it the Moon.Here it would not be out of context to know as to how the lunar monthswere named in Indian tradition. Months in Indian tradition were formedon the basis of Moon's revolution round the Earth. Similarly, names ofmonths were also given after the asterism which comes into conjunctionwith Moon at the end of PÊr‡imÈ , the full Moon day... Forinstance name of the month Caitra has been given on the basis ofconjunction of Moon with CitrÈ constellation after the full Moon day..Here one more thing may be remembered that when Moon is in conjunctionwith a particular constellation at the end of PÊr‡imÈ , theSun is housed 180 0 apart from the Moon or say right opposite to Moon..Thus when the Sun is in A„vini constellation, Moon will be inCitrÈ at the end of

PÊr‡imÈ and the month's name will alsobe Caitra after CitrÈ . Thus one can see during the long span of timethe calculation of year and its months came down to us in its mostscientific form without any communal, regional, personal, racial orother type of bias. Let us come out of -isms and biases and be Vedic(scientific) in our practical life and in our attitude.Various Eras of the WorldIndian ErasBrahma Era (Vedic Era for Universal creation) : 15,55,21,97, 29,49,107(155 trillion years)Kalpa or Sristi Era (Vedic Era for biologiccal Creation on Earth) :1,97,29,49,107 (1.9 billion years)Manvantara Era : 12,05,33,107Tikha SaŠvat : 6914Saptarshi Samvat : Ardra 82 or 5182 (starting from MaghÈ April 9)Yudhisthir SaŠvat : 5180Kaliyuga Era : 5107 (starting from 21 st June)Buddha SaŠvat : 3843 (starting on May 23)Mahavir Nirvana SaŠvat : 2533 (Starts on Nov. 1)ƒÈkÈ SaŠvat :

1929 (starting on March 22)Kalchuri SaÅ vat : 1755Vallabhi or Gupta SaÅ vat : 1689Harsha SaÅ vat : 1400Nanakshahi SaÅ vat : 538 (starting on March 15)Khalsa SaÅ vat : 308 (starting on April 13)Dayananda SaÅ vat : 124Other Eras of the WorldOld Chinese Era : 9,60,02,502 (900 million years)Hittite Era : 8,88,40,378 (800 million years)Chaldean Era : 2,15,00,38 (200 million years)Persian Era : 1,89,972 (1 million years)Finishian Era : 30,008 (30 thousand years)Egyptian Era : 28,669 (28 thousand years)Old Turkish Era :7,612 yearsIrani Era : 6,010 yearsJewish Era : 5,766 yearsNew Chinese Era : 4,362 yearsNew Turkish Era : 4,296 yearsGreek Era : 3,578 yearsRoman Era : 2,755 yearsChristian Era : 2006 yearsHizri Era : 1,428 years--- End forwarded message ------ End forwarded message ---

Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Edition * Click here!

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Edition * Click here!

Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.* Click here!.