RE: [SoHamsa] Shivoham mantra

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

http://www.indiadivine.org/articles/220/1/Nirvana-Shatakam/Page1.html

Is this the story?

Warm Regards

Vivek

sohamsa From: soulsadhakDate: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:31:20 +0000[soHamsa] Re: Shivoham mantra

sorry - not 'site', but 'sight'.google 'nirvanashatakam' - the story is attached usually with it.sohamsa , "Sheevani" <sheevani147 wrote:>> Dear Mysticalsense ji,>> Namaste,>> It is indeed a joy to read your posting, please do share the story ofthe boy who recited "shivoham shivoham" at the Adhishankara site.>> My inspiration is indeed Shiva Mahadev, and it give me immence joy tohear, read or listen to anything related to My Bhola Mahadev.>> Perhaps I need to explain, I have never been to India, except for a 2week holiday in Goa.My ethnicity is Indian. My love for Shiva arosespontaneously about 15 years ago and overtime, the desire initially wasto gather knowledge about Shiva and read the Shivpuran and listen to allthe bhajans/katha and strotam/mantras, is now replaced by a strongdesire for spiritual experience. Yes my life and nature has changedenormously over the period of time.>> I am more comfortable with just being myself, even my weaknesses areparts of me, and I dont see them as handicaps but opportunities. I nolonger desire to control or make things happen in my life and have thischild-like wonder and excitement to see what happens next. From being anactive participant in life, I have become an observer. This does notmean I dont do any work, but the pressure of expectations of outcomes nolonger bother me. Worry and anxiety is replaced by a sense ofcontentment and a sense of acceptance of 'what willbe willbe..'>> Even with my grown-up children, when asked for advice or guidance, Iwill give guidance but do not feel offended if they choose not to followit. I always say, 'take advice, think about it, but do what feels rightto u.'>> Wether this changes are due to age or my faith, it matters not, as Ilike the more compassinate person that I now am.>> warmest regards> Sheevani>>> sohamsa , "mysticalsense" sensemystical@ wrote:> >> >> > Well Sheevani-ji, i resisted from posting the story about the boywho> > used to start chanting 'shivoham shivoham' at the site ofAdiShankara,> > and AdiShankara had to demonstrate to him in an unusual way as towhat> > it means to say 'shivoham' - thought perhaps you have read the story> > too. The message of the story and that of my text was the same - the> > meaning needs to be understood.> >> > 'Shivoham', i think, ( i may be wrong), is more of a realisation(than> > a mantra) of the state that Shiva is, and when one is identical with> > that state, then Shiva and Self are no different, i.e. one realisesthat> > the Self and Shiva 'is' the same.> >> > One needs to figure out what is Shiva (through worship etc.) andwhat is> > Self (through AtmaGyana) and the 'realisation' of 'Shivoham' canthen be> > expected. Until then, it is just another word - like Ananda orShanti> > etc. Yes, words do have power, but how much of one is able tomanifest> > that depends on one's level. May be you try just the word 'ananda'as a> > mantra (btw what is the exact meaning of the word mantra?) and seeif> > you get into the state of ananda and is that state of ananda> > sustainable. Let me know of your experience. Or may be you would> > appreciate as to 'what it takes' to reach the 'state of'ParamAnanda.> >> > If one begins with the word 'Shivoham' as a 'mantra', then one mustbe> > ready enough for the changes in life that may set in thereafter -> > Nirvanashatakam is a glimpse of that state of the Self where one issama> > to the dvandas, including that of bandhana and moksha, and beyond> > diefferentiations various - and that is attained only after arduous> > sadhana - else why is Shiva what He is - the epitome of a Yogi just> > to begin with.> >> > The path you want to take would be of your choice - "sadhana leadingto> > realisation of that state" or "mantra resulting in changes in life -> > which you may or may not be prepared for - that lead you to thatstate"> > (very simplistically stated, though), or some middle path if you can> > figure one out.> >> > In my little experience, one's 'mana' has to be One with the'Mantra'> > and that makes the mantra work it's energy - number may be of> > consequence at some stage, not all. That oneness is realised with abit> > of practice and understanding of what the mantra stands for, elsewhat> > results from that mantra's repitition may vary according to our> > perception from 'no result' or 'erratic changes in life' to - may be> > other things.> >> > If your inspiration is Shiva/any other Deity, then better to startwith> > a simple namah mantra for Shiva/that deity and become repcetive tothat> > changes that happen within you, and see if you wish to continue onthat> > path. Then proceed on to more complex mantras for that deity orother> > mantras as may be suitable for your sadhanas, if mantras are 'yourway'.> >> > Sorry, the above text is not the direct answers to your questions,but i> > wrote what i thought, and also it is not comprehensive. Pleaseignore if> > you didn't like it. May be you would have liked it if someone said:108> > times daily, except during periods, you will feel identical withShiva> > and will experience eternal bliss - which would have not beenentirely> > wrong, but imho it would be like saying simply that scale the Mt.> > Everest and you would feel on top of the world, leaving you tofugire> > out what it takes to do so :-). May be someone else may be able tohelp> > you better, i don't proclaim to :-). All the Best.> >> > mysticalsense.> > The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not> > between right and wrong.> >> >> > sohamsa , "Sheevani" <sheevani147@> wrote:> > >> > > Dear Mysticalsense-ji,> > >> > > Namaste,> > >> > > Thank you for your most kind response. I was hoping for a more> > detailed answer into using the same mantra as a sadhana..> > >> > > Nonetheless, your care to respond is much appreciated.> > >> > > Nirvanasthakam is trully divine.. na punyum na paapam, na dukha na> > sokha.... cit anand rupam Shivoham, Shivoham..> > >> > > All the best wishes to you for Chaitra navratri..> > >> > > warmest regards> > > Sheevani> > >> > > sohamsa , "mysticalsense" sensemystical@wrote:> > > >> > > >> > > > Dear Sheevani,> > > >> > > > You would know that simple translation of the word "Shivoham"would> > be> > > > "I am Shiva".> > > >> > > > The meaning only is as deep as you can take it.> > > >> > > > You may read through Nirvanashatakam to gather whatAdiShankaracharya> > is> > > > trying to make us understand about the State that Shiva is.> > > >> > > > mysticalsense.> > > >> > > > The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense,not> > > > between right and wrong.> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > >> > > > sohamsa , "Sheevani" <sheevani147@> wrote:> > > > >> > > > > Dear Respected Members,> > > > >> > > > > Namaste.> > > > >> > > > > Can someone kindly give me some information about this mantra:> > > > >> > > > > Shivoham Shivoham Sat-cit-anando Ham.> > > > >> > > > > My knowledge of mantras is very basic and I would like to know> > > > >> > > > > When, why and who can/cant chant these mantra?> > > > >> > > > > Are there any restrictions/repercussions on this mantra?> > > > >> > > > > What is the number of times this mantra for effect?> > > > >> > > > > What are the effects/phal of this mantra? Is it for peace,power> > or> > > > protection or devotion to Shiv?> > > > >> > > > > Your imput would be much appreciated.> > > > >> > > > > warmest regards> > > > > Sheevani> > > > >> > > >> > >> >>

Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. Sign up now.