IndiaDivine.org

A doubt in Mahabaratham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Background:

Prior to the war Shri Krishna promises not to fight. Bhishma vows to force Shri Krishna to use his weapon

The reasons:

That these two seemingly incoherent vows fits into the overall scheme of things depicts the compexity of Shri Krishna Leela. Shri Krishna vows so because Duryodhana at Shakunis behest extracts this favour. Shri Bhishma who is tired of living many many more years than anyone would have ever wanted, wished to die as soon as possible. He also strategises that if he makes Shri Krishna take his weapon then one of the following two or both will happen (a) he dies at the hands of Shri Krishna and/or (b) If the lord takes the weapon then he breaks his promise and the war stops

The actual events

Shri Krishna notices reluctance and lack of aggression on part of Arjuna to deal with Bhishma in the battlefield. In order to provoke Arjuna thereby making sure he battles like a true Kshatriya and inorder to make good the vow of his true bhakta Bhishma, Shri Krishna strikes two mangoes in one stone - he at once advances menacingly towards Shri Bhishma wielding his Sudarshana Chakra (thereby making sure his Bhakta's vow gets fulfilled) and at the same time makes Arjuna realise his reluctance - the lord achieves both of that in one stroke - and in the process the lord also fulfils his vow - which is not to fight - no one wields a weapon in the battlefield as a mere jewellery - they wield weapon to fight - but Shri Krishna makes it appear that he wields his weapon so that Bhishma's (his true Bhakta's) vow gets fulfilled - and at the same time by not using the weapon he makes good on the promise that he will not fight

Poorvacharya's commentary:

Poorvacharya's quote this instance while explaining Satya Sankalpa and Vathsalya gunas of the lord

Satya Sankalpa - one who not only makes sure his sankalpa is Sathya but also makes sure his Bhakta's sankalpa is Sathya - thus he made sure that Bhishma's sankalpa (vow) of making Shri Krishna take weapon come true - that is Staya Sankalpa here means not just making sure his sankalpa comes true but also making sure his true Bhakta's sankalpa comes true even though there could be an apparent contradiction to the two sankalpas

Vaathsalya - Shri Krishna by taking a weapon could even go to the extent of earning a bad name for himself just to make sure that his Bhakta's (Bhishma's) words/vow come true

Hope this helps

Adiyen Dasan

Ramji--- On Mon, 11/30/09, Saroja <sarojram18 wrote:

Saroja <sarojram18 Re: A doubt in Mahabaratham Date: Monday, November 30, 2009, 11:44 AM

Krishna had given word that He would not wield weapon during the war. Bhishma vowed that he would make Krishna take up a weapon. When Arjuna could not win over Bhishma Krish\na got down and took His chakra and advanced towards Bheeshma , who threw down his weapons and faced His wioth folded hands. Tehn Krishan gave alaugh and went back. Bheeshma himself says this in Srimadbhagavatham that out of consideration for His devotee and to make vis words true the Lord has taken chakra which shows His infinite mercy even at the cost of disproving His own vow.saroja Ramanujam., aswin srinivasan <aswin.srinivasan@ ...> wrote:>> Dear Bhaktas, > I had learnt that Lord Krishna never took his weapons against anyone

during the war in Mahabaratha. But i have seen certain pictures in Internet that shows Lord Krishna takes a wheel from a chariot and aims it at someone most probably at Drona. Can anyone explain me this incidence. I have attached the photo also. Pl check it.> > Regards> Aswin> > > The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage. http://in.. com/>

Namaskaram,You are exactly right Shri Ramesh. Krishna made a promise that he would support Pandavas but one promise he gave to Gauravas that He wont use any weapon.Bhishmar tried using all his weapons towards the chariot of Krishna, but He protected Arjuna but bearing all the wounds. One can see the face of Parthasarathy perumal being injured severely (utsavar). Even then Krishna neither got angry nor tried to defend himself. So Bhishma knows that secret Bhagwan doesnt mind abhacharam to Him. Whatever you scold Him or be against Him, he will accept u when u just surrender or regret by offering just a flower, but will not tolerate Bhagavada abhacharam ie the evil done to his bhaktas.He will not forgive even if u adore Him with millions of flowers. So when Bhishma's arrow

pierced Arjuna He raged out from the chariot raised His right hand and used His sudarshana chakra by that moment Bhishma came down with lots of happiness revealing his wish of dying at His foot!!One other good example is Lokasaranga munivar. He was a great devottee of Lord Ranganatha. Thirupanna alzhwar was basically from bannar kulam and hence not allowed inside the temple. But believe he had sung hymns that exactly matched with the Lord's appearances even without seeing Him!!So one day when Lokasaranga munivar saw Thirupannaalzhwar attempting to visualize Ranganatha, he became angry and hit him with a stone at the banks of kaveri. Then the munivar returned back fetching water from kaveri but the doors opposed to open. Lokasaranga munivar was dumbstruck and prayed the Lord begging Him. The Lord replied "abhacharam to my bhaktha is abhacharam to me so bring him here and now you could see my forehead bleeding becoz of your

act!!!"Loka saranga munivar ran all the way and aLzhwar also ran fearing but then the munivar carried him on his shoulders and brought him in front of the Lord. He sang a hymn and got ikkiam with the Lord and never returned!!!regardsRAMESH PILLAI <trpillay Cc: aswin.srinivasanSent: Mon, 30 November, 2009 3:12:29 PMRe:

A doubt in Mahabaratham

Hare Krishna,Yes u are corrct? Lord Krishna has never took his weapon but in certain circumstance he forgot his promises and he took his weapon to kill only pitha mahar bhismar(when lord krisha remove his chakkaram immediately bhismar aggressively inform to krisha Oo... Krishna Unn kaiyal naan motcham adaya virumbukirean) , but arjuna immediately remainding krisha about his promise.If i made any mistake please correct me.Hare KrishnaRamesh--- On Sun, 29/11/09, aswin srinivasan <aswin.srinivasan@ > wrote:

aswin srinivasan <aswin.srinivasan@ > A doubt in Mahabaratham [1 Attachment]Sunday,

29 November, 2009, 10:13 AM

Dear Bhaktas, I had learnt that Lord Krishna never took his weapons against anyone during the war in Mahabaratha. But i have seen certain pictures in Internet that shows Lord Krishna takes a wheel from a chariot and aims it at someone most probably at Drona. Can anyone explain me this incidence. I have attached the photo also. Pl check it.RegardsAswin

The INTERNET now has a personality. YOURS! See your Homepage.

Thanks to all, i got to know little more about Mahabharat thru this picture. Infact I have got yet another rare picture ot Lord Krishna.

Special Thanks to Mr.Aswin.

Regards

Sridhar S T

Saudi Arabia

--- On Mon, 30/11/09, mukunthan gopal <mukunthan84 wrote:

mukunthan gopal <mukunthan84Re: A doubt in Mahabaratham Date: Monday, 30 November, 2009, 8:54 PM

Hi Krishna promised arjuna that he never took any weapon during the war, how ever bheesmachariyar has promised that he will make krishna to take the weapon. Since arjuna is not able to cope up with beeshma out of thought krishan has taken the chakra and he has not thrown it , arjuna remembered him about his promise In order to kill bheeshma krishnar told arjuna to take sikandi who is one of the people in pandava group , he takes sikandi to his chariot, during the previous birth he was born as girl and arjuna throws arrows towards bheeshma , since bheeshma knows that he is the girl in previous birth as per war dharma arrow is not suppose to throw arrow towards a girl , bheeshma reluctant in throwing arrows against arjuna and atlast arjuna killed him. with an effort of krishna else there is no one equal to bheeshma to fought Not only this krishnar has taken to much of efforts to make this war in favour

of pandavas .

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 10:13 AM, aswin srinivasan <aswin.srinivasan@ > wrote:

[Attachment(s) from aswin srinivasan included below]

Dear Bhaktas,

I had learnt that Lord Krishna never took his weapons against anyone during the war in Mahabaratha. But i have seen certain pictures in Internet that shows Lord Krishna takes a wheel from a chariot and aims it at someone most probably at Drona. Can anyone explain me this incidence. I have attached the photo also. Pl check it.

RegardsAswin

• 2 weeks later...

the follwoing is the story as i have heard from superiors.

duryodhana gets frustrated with grandfather bhishma and blames that he is supporting arjuna.

in reply, bhishma gives five powerful arrows to duryodana and encourages duryodana to kill arjuna the next morning.

Lord krishna reminds arjuna of the promise which duryodhana gave to arjuna some time back for some benefit done by arjuna in saving duryodana's life during childhood. (i think so)

therefore at Lord Krishna's advice, Arjuna visits duryodana's camp in the evening, to ask for the promise.

duryodhana says--ok please ask what you want from me.

arjuna says--I want those five arrows which grandfather gave you.

then duryodhana gives them as promised.

later duryodhana informs bhishma about this incident.

bhishma realises that this is the trick of Lord Krishna.

in order to protect duryodhana, now bhishma takes a oath that " Krishna made me break my promise to duryodhana--I will also make Krishna break his promise of "I will not hold any weapon".

therefore, the next day, bhishma pumps arrows on arjuna to such an extent that Krishna gets irritated. (some arrows also peirce the face of Krishna).

because Krishna is supreme friend of arjuna, He wants to protect arjuna at any cost. therefore, Lord Krishna takes out the wheel of a broken chariot and charges towards Bhishma.

when this happened, Bhishma gets pascified and desires to get killed in the hands of the Lord.

therefore, the Lord is also called as RATHA-ANGA-PANI

Also, from these incidents, we have Lord's face peirced for the utsava murthi of Lord parthasarathy temple, chennai.

it is therefore, Krishna in bhagavad Gita, asks Arjuna to to promise the whole world that "Krishna's devotee never perishs". actually krishna can give this promise, but he does not because he will break his own promise to uphold the promise of his devotees, like the present story.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I HAVE WRITTEN ANY THING UNAUTHORISED.

YOUR SERVANT

SIVA RAMA KRISHNA

--- On Mon, 7/12/09, Krishnamoorthy Palapur <vykrishna wrote:

Krishnamoorthy Palapur <vykrishnaRe: A doubt in Mahabaratham Date: Monday, 7 December, 2009, 1:12 PM

dear bhakta i have read your doubt. once bhishma has counter challenged kord krishna that he will make krishna to take weapon.so inorder to fulfill the wishes of his bhakta bhishma lord krishna has taken the chakra.i hope you will be clear with your doubt..krishnamoort hy,email

vykrishna (AT) (DOT) co.in.you can corespond with me..all the best.--- On Sun, 29/11/09, aswin srinivasan <aswin.srinivasan@ > wrote:

aswin srinivasan <aswin.srinivasan@ > A doubt in Mahabaratham [1 Attachment]Sunday, 29 November, 2009, 10:13 AM

Dear Bhaktas,

I had learnt that Lord Krishna never took his weapons against anyone during the war in Mahabaratha. But i have seen certain pictures in Internet that shows Lord Krishna takes a wheel from a chariot and aims it at someone most probably at Drona. Can anyone explain me this incidence. I have attached the photo also. Pl check it.

RegardsAswin