IndiaDivine.org

An explanation on A Revolutionary Lady series

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Bhaagavatas:Usually, I mention in all my articles, references to source materials on which they are based. This time, however, I had missed this practice in the “Preface†while posting “A Revolutionary Ladyâ€. A well meaning friend with keen eye on deviation from the usually orthodox viewpoint came up with some comments and a sage advice that -“It would be great if all of us could follow our poorvacharyas for explanations, commentaries and interpretations instead of trying to find new meanings where we may falter†I am thankful to him for his reminding me of my omission to cite the “source materials†in support of my article. He has painfully dissected, vivisected and put under magnifying glass the various points in a spirited defense of other Azhwars as if a eulogy of Andal meant derogating them. And, that my presentation appeared as if I was saying that Andal acted against Shaastras. It is just an alternate view at a loukeeka level which our Poorva Achaaryas themselves have projected in their VyaakhyaanamsThe points brought out are actually only from various commentaries of Poorva Acharyas and based on notes taken down during Kaalakshepams by great Acharyas and Scholars for over 35 to 40 years. If anything is stated correctly, the credit goes to them. I hope I have not strayed away from these. Let me reiterate that the comments are NOT MY VIEWS but those of Acharyas whom I have followed faithfully. What I have done, however, is to collate the same comments from different sources and for forcibly driving home the points, place them in scenarios that present day readers could readily relate to and in a parlance they would be familiar with in the present ethos. This is because, our readers are drawn from different linguistic groups, different regions all over the world (in both hemispheres) and different religions (like Muslim, Christian and other faiths) some of them at least without any or with minimal exposure to Sanskrit or Tamil or the orthodox “Paribhaashais†or “Grantha scripts†in which the original Vyaakhyaanams appear. It would be beyond their comprehension to appreciate the nuances of a puritan presentation of the comments contained in these Vyaakhyaanams and they need an easily understandable and recognizable medium. My articles are based on -(i) a study of notes scribbled in the 'in‑camera closed circuit' during Kalakshepams over 35 to 40 years from our Acharyas like H.H. the Jeeyar, Ahobila Mutt, Srirangam Srimad Andavan (Tirukkudantai) and Srimad Andavan Swami of Poundarika puram Ashramam (both in their Purvaashramam and after their Sannyasa Sweekaranam ) explaining the inner meanings,(ii) the religious Pravachanams of scholars like Abhinava Desika Uttamur Swami, Srivtasaankaachariar, Santhana Gopalachariar, Tirukkallam Swami, Prathivaadi Bhayankaram Swami, Velukkudi Varadachariar Swami, Karappankadu Venkatachariar Swami and others (iii)) the more open ‑ ended Hari Katha Kalakshepams of Srirangam Sadagopachariar, Embar Vijyaraghavachariar, Annaswami Bhagavatar (with Chapplaakattai, Jalra, Harmonium / Tamboor, Assistant singer ‑ Pinnpaattukkaarar et al) and(iv) study in-depth commentaries of Vyaakhyaana Karthas quoted by the above Acharyas during discourses. (v) Several books including the following: 1. “Tiruppavai†– An English Commentary by Sri V.K.S.N Raghavan Reader, Dept. of Vaishnavism, University of Madras (with Sri Ranga Ramanuja’s Sanskrit commentary) published by Sri Visishtadvaita Pracharini Sabha (1986)2. “Godha Sthuthi†English Commentary by Sri K.P Rangaswami, I.A & A.S, and Sri M.K. Srinivasan Swami (now Editor, Nrisimhapriya, English) Published by Sri VedantaDesika Research Centre, Villivakkam, Chennai (1997)3. “Sri Godha Sthuthi†– A Tamil commentary by Sri Seva Srinivasa Raghavachariar Swami, Published by Sri Vedanta Desika Research Centre, Villivakkam, Chennai (1997)4. “Sri Desika StOtra Maalaa†by Sri V.N. Sri Rama Desikachariar Swami, Published by LIFO (1993)5. “Sri Desika StOtra Maalaa†– A diglot translation and commentary by Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swami on Godha Sthuthi (in Tamil) Published by Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam (2000)6. “Prabhanda Rakshai†by Abhinava Desika Sri Uttamur Veeraraghavachariar Swami, published by Ubhaya Vedanta Granta Maalai (1986)7. “Naachiyaar Tirumoozhi†by Sri Paramahamsa Parivrajaka U. Ve. Kozhiyaalm Swami Sri Ranga Ramanuja Maha Desikan, (1997) 8. “Tiruppaavai VyaakhyaanangaL†by Sri Puttur Sri Krishnaswami Iyengar, Editor, Sri Vaishanava Sudarsanam, Puttur Agraharam, Trichy 17 (1991)9. “Godhaa Sookti Sudaaswaadam†by PerukkaraNai Saaragjna SirOmani Sri Chakravarthyaachaaria Maha Desikan Swami, Sri Desika Vidyaa Bhavanam, Chennai 10. “Sri Andal’s Tiruppaavai†(including Upanishad Bhaashyakaarar Sriranga Ramanuja Swami’s Sanskrit commentary, Sri Periya Parakaala Swami’s Sanskrit commentary and Sri Ranganatha Swami’s Manipravala Vyaakhyanams) published by Sri Natteri Kidaambi Vijayaraghavachariar Swami (Rtd. Administrative Officer, PWD, Madras (1996)11. “Godha Sthuthi†A commentary in Sanskrit by Sri T.S.S Sri Raghava Paatrachariar Swami12. “Godha Sthuthi†– A commentary in Tamil by Sri Kidambi M. Rajagopalachariar Swami 13. “Godha Sthuthi†A commentary in Tamil by Sri Anbil V. Gopalachariar Swami.(11, 12 and 13 published by Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam in 2005)14.“TirukkuDanthai Munivarin Tiruppavai ViLakkam†being a compilation of lectures by Sri Tirukkudanthai Andavan of Periyasramam published by Shreya Publicities, Chennai 24 (2007)15. “Andal†by Sri Jaggu Sudarasanachariar, published by Rashtrottana Sahitya Trust, Bangalore 19 (1994)16. “Tiruppavai†published by Sri Lakshmi Saras Maruthi Trust, Ramakrishna Nagar, Pondicherry (Subanu- Margazhi)17. “Sri Andal’s Tiruppavai†- The Song of the maidens†– by Shoba Ramasamy published by Thiruppavai Committee, Coimbatore.18. Tiruppavai†by Sri Jagan Narayanan, Deputy Secretary (Retd), Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India, New Delhi (1986)19. “Concepts of Sri Andal’s Tiruppavai†and “Andal’s Tiruppavai†by Dr. Chenni Padmanabhan M.D., Formerly Dean, Tirunelveli Medical College and Addl. Director,of Mediacal Education) published by R.P Publications, Mandaveli, Madras 600 028 (1995)20. “Naachiyaaradu Azhagu NaDai†– A research by D. Loganayaki M.A. B.Ed. M.Phil published by Sri Ramanujar Pathippagam, Coimbatore (1999)21. “VaaraNam Aayiram†by Sri V.K.S.N. Raghavan, Professor, Dept. of Vaishnavism, University of Madras, (1995) Hope this will clear similar misapprehensions and concerns in the minds of other readers.DasohamAnbil Ramaswamy

SrI:

Dear Sri Anbil Ramaswamy swamin:

Please accept my humble respects.

It was such a pleasure to read your articles on "The Revolutionary Lady" as well as your other works.

Your writings are cogent, inspirational and enthralling. Your detailed descriptions of the loving and personal interactions between the Divya Dampathi and the aspiring souls transport us to a high level of devotion and love for our beloved Mahalakshmi and Mahavishnu.

Bhaagavatas, whose sole aim is to surrender and serve Sriman Narayana, are certainly fortunate to have access to your spiritual commentaries and articles.

My personal thanks to you

Sincerely

adiyen

Ravee Shrinivas

Ram Anbil <Ramanbil

Tue, 15 Jan 2008 4:54 pm

An explanation on "A Revolutionary Lady" series

Dear Bhaagavatas:

Usually, I mention in all my articles, references to source materials on which they are based. This time, however, I had missed this practice in the “Preface†while posting “A Revolutionary Ladyâ€. A well meaning friend with keen eye on deviation from the usually orthodox viewpoint came up with some comments and a sage advice that -

“It would be great if all of us could follow our poorvacharyas for explanations, commentaries and interpretations instead of trying to find new meanings where we may falterâ€

I am thankful to him for his reminding me of my omission to cite the “source materials†in support of my article.

He has painfully dissected, vivisected and put under magnifying glass the various points in a spirited defense of other Azhwars as if a eulogy of Andal meant derogating them. And, that my presentation appeared as if I was saying that Andal acted against Shaastras. It is just an alternate view at a loukeeka level which our Poorva Achaaryas themselves have projected in their Vyaakhyaanams

The points brought out are actually only from various commentaries of Poorva Acharyas and based on notes taken down during Kaalakshepams by great Acharyas and Scholars for over 35 to 40 years. If anything is stated correctly, the credit goes to them. I hope I have not strayed away from these.

Let me reiterate that the comments are NOT MY VIEWS but those of Acharyas whom I have followed faithfully.

What I have done, however, is to collate the same comments from different sources and for forcibly driving home the points, place them in scenarios that present day readers could readily relate to and in a parlance they would be familiar with in the present ethos.

This is because, our readers are drawn from different linguistic groups, different regions all over the world (in both hemispheres) and different religions (like Muslim, Christian and other faiths) some of them at least without any or with minimal exposure to Sanskrit or Tamil or the orthodox “Paribhaashais†or “Grantha scripts†in which the original Vyaakhyaanams appear. It would be beyond their comprehension to appreciate the nuances of a puritan presentation of the comments contained in these Vyaakhyaanams and they need an easily understandable and recognizable medium.

My articles are based on -

(i) a study of notes scribbled in the 'in‑camera closed circuit' during Kalakshepams over 35 to 40 years from our Acharyas like H.H. the Jeeyar, Ahobila Mutt, Srirangam Srimad Andavan (Tirukkudantai) and Srimad Andavan Swami of Poundarika puram Ashramam (both in their Purvaashramam and after their Sannyasa Sweekaranam ) explaining the inner meanings,

(ii) the religious Pravachanams of scholars like Abhinava Desika Uttamur Swami, Srivtasaankaachariar, Santhana Gopalachariar, Tirukkallam Swami, Prathivaadi Bhayankaram Swami, Velukkudi Varadachariar Swami, Karappankadu Venkatachariar Swami and others

(iii)) the more open ‑ ended Hari Katha Kalakshepams of Srirangam Sadagopachariar, Embar Vijyaraghavachariar, Annaswami Bhagavatar (with Chapplaakattai, Jalra, Harmonium / Tamboor, Assistant singer ‑ Pinnpaattukkaarar et al) and

(iv) study in-depth commentaries of Vyaakhyaana Karthas quoted by the above Acharyas during discourses.

(v) Several books including the following:

1. “Tiruppavai†– An English Commentary by Sri V.K.S.N Raghavan Reader, Dept. of Vaishnavism, University of Madras (with Sri Ranga Ramanuja’s Sanskrit commentary) published by Sri Visishtadvaita Pracharini Sabha (1986)

2. “Godha Sthuthi†English Commentary by Sri K.P Rangaswami, I.A & A.S, and Sri M.K. Srinivasan Swami (now Editor, Nrisimhapriya, English) Published by Sri Vedanta

Desika Research Centre, Villivakkam, Chennai (1997)

3. “Sri Godha Sthuthi†– A Tamil commentary by Sri Seva Srinivasa Raghavachariar Swami, Published by Sri Vedanta Desika Research Centre, Villivakkam, Chennai (1997)

4. “Sri Desika StOtra Maalaa†by Sri V.N. Sri Rama Desikachariar Swami, Published by LIFO (1993)

5. “Sri Desika StOtra Maalaa†– A diglot translation and commentary by Dr. V.N. Vedanta Desikan Swami on Godha Sthuthi (in Tamil) Published by Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam (2000)

6. “Prabhanda Rakshai†by Abhinava Desika Sri Uttamur Veeraraghavachariar Swami, published by Ubhaya Vedanta Granta Maalai (1986)

7. “Naachiyaar Tirumoozhi†by Sri Paramahamsa Parivrajaka U. Ve. Kozhiyaalm Swami Sri Ranga Ramanuja Maha Desikan, (1997)

8. “Tiruppaavai VyaakhyaanangaL†by Sri Puttur Sri Krishnaswami Iyengar, Editor, Sri Vaishanava Sudarsanam, Puttur Agraharam, Trichy 17 (1991)

9. “Godhaa Sookti Sudaaswaadam†by PerukkaraNai Saaragjna SirOmani Sri Chakravarthyaachaaria Maha Desikan Swami, Sri Desika Vidyaa Bhavanam, Chennai

10. “Sri Andal’s Tiruppaavai†(including Upanishad Bhaashyakaarar Sriranga Ramanuja Swami’s Sanskrit commentary, Sri Periya Parakaala Swami’s Sanskrit commentary and Sri Ranganatha Swami’s Manipravala Vyaakhyanams) published by Sri Natteri Kidaambi Vijayaraghavachariar Swami (Rtd. Administrative Officer, PWD, Madras (1996)

11. “Godha Sthuthi†A commentary in Sanskrit by Sri T.S.S Sri Raghava Paatrachariar Swami

12. “Godha Sthuthi†– A commentary in Tamil by Sri Kidambi M. Rajagopalachariar Swami

13. “Godha Sthuthi†A commentary in Tamil by Sri Anbil V. Gopalachariar Swami.

(11, 12 and 13 published by Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam in 2005)

14.“TirukkuDanthai Munivarin Tiruppavai ViLakkam†being a compilation of lectures by Sri Tirukkudanthai Andavan of Periyasramam published by Shreya Publicities, Chennai 24 (2007)

15. “Andal†by Sri Jaggu Sudarasanachariar, published by Rashtrottana Sahitya Trust, Bangalore 19 (1994)

16. “Tiruppavai†published by Sri Lakshmi Saras Maruthi Trust, Ramakrishna Nagar, Pondicherry (Subanu- Margazhi)

17. “Sri Andal’s Tiruppavai†- The Song of the maidens†– by Shoba Ramasamy published by Thiruppavai Committee, Coimbatore.

18. Tiruppavai†by Sri Jagan Narayanan, Deputy Secretary (Retd), Ministry of Finance, Govt. of India, New Delhi (1986)

19. “Concepts of Sri Andal’s Tiruppavai†and “Andal’s Tiruppavai†by Dr. Chenni Padmanabhan M.D., Formerly Dean, Tirunelveli Medical College and Addl. Director,of Mediacal Education) published by R.P Publications, Mandaveli, Madras 600 028 (1995)

20. “Naachiyaaradu Azhagu NaDai†– A research by D. Loganayaki M.A. B.Ed. M.Phil published by Sri Ramanujar Pathippagam, Coimbatore (1999)

21. “VaaraNam Aayiram†by Sri V.K.S.N. Raghavan, Professor, Dept. of Vaishnavism, University of Madras, (1995)

Hope this will clear similar misapprehensions and concerns in the minds of other readers.

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!