IndiaDivine.org

Clarification needed on Vishnu SahasraNaamam How one becomes 1000

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Respected Sir,

Please lay aside your doubts. You will find several seemingly conflicting verses at many places in the Vedas and the related scriptural works. However, everything has a flawless logic.

Bill Gates is the CEO of Microsoft and is busy with his global business 20 hrs a day

A Sanyassi in Benaras has all the time in the world

You (Shri Deepak Vinod) is a busy man with hundreds of commitments and engagements for 10 hours

A top Oncologist is busy for 1/2 a day having planned only one surgery per day

A student who is about to give the 10th exam is busy for 15 hours a day

You have also factor the knowledge level, the comprehension level and the mental frame of each individual. While Bill Gates may have a plan for the growth of Microsoft running constantly in his mind Sanskrit may the last thing in his mind, while the boy who is about to give the 10th exam will be focussed only on his studies may have half - hearted interest in the chanting The Sadhu on the other hand may be well versed in Sanskrit and may have practised a lot and may therefore, be able to chant the Sahasranama in 30 minutes flat without error.

Each of the above individuals has his/her own time schedules and priorities. If you ask each to chant the Sahasranama it may not be feasible on an uniform basis.

What is the soluton then ? The name(s) has to be chanted anyway by default. This is our goal.

No problem at all the Vedas declare :

For Bill Gates who has hardly any time to breath, just say " Krishna " and be done for the day.

For the Sanyasi on the banks of the Ganges, he may chant the entire Sahasranama 10 times a day

You Shri Deepak may chant Rama thrice

The Oncologist may simply say " Narayana " while getting up in the morning and thats enough

The student is worried, busy and confused also, so he has got the maximum leeway. He can simply breath out OM once.

Therefore : OM = Rama = Sahasranama = Krishna = Narayana

This is one of the reasons our ancients used to keep the names of their children after the various names of Vishnu. A person having 6 children would name them as " Krishan, Rama, Govinda, Narayana, Hrishikesha, Padmanabha, " . Just imagine what takes place in the household when all the boys are playing and the mother is calling out each to come and have the snacks ? She has to utter each name. Six times the name gets repeated. For bathing another 6 calls to be made, for dinner 6 calls, and even for chiding, for cautioning she has to still take the beloved Lords name :

Kanna ! please cross the road carefully( Note : Even in the cautioning, the focus on the Lord is not lost. as another pet name of Krishna is uttered.)

Govinda do not fight with Narayana

Padmanabha please come here

Rama stop the play and start off your studies.

Now the neighbour next door too has 4 children and does not want to keep the same names as the parents with 6 children, so they name their children as " Laxmi and Madhava " . So you already have 9 names. Keep on extending this to the entire street and you have over 1000 names, each unique, each belonging to the same Greatness.

Everyone calls the names many times, in various combinations and permutations throughout the day. The entire neighbourhood is filled only with the holy name. So one becomes 1000 if not more. You see, it then becomes an unconscious act, a sort of reflect action. At all moments you just stay focussed on the Lord.

With due respect to you, please stop counting and just utter. Remember the famous Nike slogan " Just do it "

OM Tat Sat

Tat Tvam asi

__/\__

" Deepak Vinod " <deepak.vinod

Sent by:

02/18/2008 06:12 PM

To

ramanuja , Srirangasri

cc

Subject

Clarification needed on Vishnu SahasraNaamam

Hari:,

My pranaams to all respected members of the Group.

I was wondering if someone could please explain to me the actual

intended meaning of these verses

======================================

In the Padma Purana it its mentioned:

visnor ekaika namapi, sarva vedadhikam matam

tadrk nama sahasrena, rama nama samasmrtam

" Each Name of Lord Vishnu is greater and more potent than the entire

Vedas combined together, and Lord Rama's Name alone is more superior

that a thousand Names of Lord Vishnu

In the Brahmanda Purana it is stated:

sahasra-namnam punyanam, trir-avrttya tu yat phalam;

ekavrttya tu krishnasya, namaikam tat prayacchati.

" And the pious results (punya) achieved by chanting the thousand holy

names of Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram) three times or (by

deduction) the Holy Name of Rama thrice can be attained by only one

utterance of the Holy Name of Krishna. "

========================================

I am unable to understand the intention of the translation provided.

And as a result I often hear people saying that saying Krishna one

time is the same as same Ram 3 times.

My question is. Is it ok to make such conclusions based on the two

verses? Does the translation need to be taken in a numeric sense?

If it is to be taken in a mathematical sense, then it is hard to

comprehend as Shri Vishnu Sahasra Naam itself has the name Krishna in

there several times i believe.

Please enlighten me.

dasoham

Deepak

Respected Sir,

Perhaps you have not read the earlier response completely in-between the lines. Why do you want to " DEAL' with people when you are already dealing with the BEST, THE GREATEST, THE WISEST, THE MOST SUPERIOR ?

You are not answerable to anyone except HIM. So why the question at all in the first place.

__/\__

|=============================================================================================|

02/19/2008 10:22 AM

To

s.ramachandran

cc

ramanuja , Srirangasri

Subject

Re: Clarification needed on Vishnu SahasraNaamam How one becomes 1000

Dear Sir

Really a wonderful and practical explanation indeed.  Thank you so much.

Just another question. 

Often I hear people, based on the 2 shlokas that i have mentioned, point out that Krishna is therefore more worshipable and deserved of reverance than Rama based on the fact that 1 name of Krishna is thrice as powerful as Rama.

I do chant the Rama Nama and due to my bias inclination cannot accept the HOLY name of RAMA being inferior to anything in this world..

Can you please advise as to how i should deal when people are comparing the names of the LORD or just straight forward...Krishna is Supreme and Rama is subordinate and the like type of arguments.

Regards

Deepak

On Feb 19, 2008 3:42 PM, <s.ramachandran wrote:

Respected Sir,

Please lay aside your doubts. You will find several seemingly conflicting verses at many places in the Vedas and the related scriptural works. However, everything has a flawless logic.

Bill Gates is the CEO of Microsoft and is busy with his global business 20 hrs a day

A Sanyassi in Benaras has all the time in the world

You (Shri Deepak Vinod) is a busy man with hundreds of commitments and engagements for 10 hours

A top Oncologist is busy for 1/2 a day having planned only one surgery per day

A student who is about to give the 10th exam is busy for 15 hours a day

You have also factor the knowledge level, the comprehension level and the mental frame of each individual. While Bill Gates may have a plan for the growth of Microsoft running constantly in his mind Sanskrit may the last thing in his mind, while the boy who is about to give the 10th exam will be focussed only on his studies may have half - hearted interest in the chanting The Sadhu on the other hand may be well versed in Sanskrit and may have practised a lot and may therefore, be able to chant the Sahasranama in 30 minutes flat without error.

Each of the above individuals has his/her own time schedules and priorities. If you ask each to chant the Sahasranama it may not be feasible on an uniform basis.

What is the soluton then ? The name(s) has to be chanted anyway by default. This is our goal.

No problem at all the Vedas declare :

For Bill Gates who has hardly any time to breath, just say " Krishna " and be done for the day.

For the Sanyasi on the banks of the Ganges, he may chant the entire Sahasranama 10 times a day

You Shri Deepak may chant Rama thrice

The Oncologist may simply say " Narayana " while getting up in the morning and thats enough

The student is worried, busy and confused also, so he has got the maximum leeway. He can simply breath out OM once.

Therefore : Rama = Sahasranama = Krishna = Narayana

This is one of the reasons our ancients used to keep the names of their children after the various names of Vishnu. A person having 6 children would name them as " Krishan, Rama, Govinda, Narayana, Hrishikesha, Padmanabha, " . Just imagine what takes place in the household when all the boys are playing and the mother is calling out each to come and have the snacks ? She has to utter each name. Six times the name gets repeated. For bathing another 6 calls to be made, for dinner 6 calls, and even for chiding, for cautioning she has to still take the beloved Lords name :

Kanna ! please cross the road carefully( Note : Even in the cautioning, the focus on the Lord is not lost. as another pet name of Krishna is uttered.)

Govinda do not fight with Narayana

Padmanabha please come here

Rama stop the play and start off your studies.

Now the neighbour next door too has 4 children and does not want to keep the same names as the parents with 6 children, so they name their children as " Laxmi and Madhava " . So you already have 9 names. Keep on extending this to the entire street and you have over 1000 names, each unique, each belonging to the same Greatness.

Everyone calls the names many times, in various combinations and permutations throughout the day. The entire neighbourhood is filled only with the holy name. So one becomes 1000 if not more. You see, it then becomes an unconscious act, a sort of reflect action. At all moments you just stay focussed on the Lord.

With due respect to you, please stop counting and just utter. Remember the famous Nike slogan " Just do it "

font>

__/\__

Inactive hide details for " Deepak Vinod " <deepak.vinod " Deepak Vinod " <deepak.vinod

Sent by:

02/18/2008 06:12 PM

[iMAGE]To[iMAGE]

ramanuja , Srirangasri

[iMAGE]cc[iMAGE]

[iMAGE]Subject[iMAGE]

Clarification needed on Vishnu SahasraNaamam

[iMAGE][iMAGE]

Hari:,

My pranaams to all respected members of the Group.

I was wondering if someone could please explain to me the actual

intended meaning of these verses

======================================

In the Padma Purana it its mentioned:

visnor ekaika namapi, sarva vedadhikam matam

tadrk nama sahasrena, rama nama samasmrtam

" Each Name of Lord Vishnu is greater and more potent than the entire

Vedas combined together, and Lord Rama's Name alone is more superior

that a thousand Names of Lord Vishnu

In the Brahmanda Purana it is stated:

sahasra-namnam punyanam, trir-avrttya tu yat phalam;

ekavrttya tu krishnasya, namaikam tat prayacchati.

" And the pious results (punya) achieved by chanting the thousand holy

names of Vishnu (Vishnu-sahasra-nama-stotram) three times or (by

deduction) the Holy Name of Rama thrice can be attained by only one

utterance of the Holy Name of Krishna. "

========================================

I am unable to understand the intention of the translation provided.

And as a result I often hear people saying that saying Krishna one

time is the same as same Ram 3 times.

My question is. Is it ok to make such conclusions based on the two

verses? Does the translation need to be taken in a numeric sense?

If it is to be taken in a mathematical sense, then it is hard to

comprehend as Shri Vishnu Sahasra Naam itself has the name Krishna in

there several times i believe.

Please enlighten me.

dasoham

Deepak