IndiaDivine.org

71st MeLa Raaga Krithi on Lord Raamachandra at Oppilappan Sannidhi by Vidwamsini Padma Veeraraghavan : Part 1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

SrI:

Dear Raamachandra BhakthAs :

The 71st MeLa Raagam is KoSalam .The name of the Raagam refers to the Kosala Desam , where the blessed Mother of Lord Raamachandra , Kousalaya hails from. Sage Vaalmiki addresses the Lord therefore as "KousalyA SuprajA RaamA " in his SuprabhAtham .

Some sixty yers ago , few miles from Oppiliappan Sannidhi , a full set of Vigrahams Of Raama , SeethA , Lakshmana, and Hanumaan were were discovered by a Farmer at TennamthOttam in his field and those Vigrahams were brought to Oppiliappan Koil and Prathishtai was performed for them . Today , That Raama parivAram adorns one of the major sannidhis at Oppiliappan

Koil . During Raama Navami , a ten day Utsavam is celebrated by my next door neighbor and boyhood friend , Sri S. Govinda Battar .

The Kosala Raaga Krithi by VidwAmsini Padma VeerarAghavan takes this form:

Pallavi :

Raama NaamamE tAraka naamam

SyAmaLa MEniyan SrI RaghurAman( Raama)

Raama Naamam is indeed the liberating naama . The name of the the scion of Raghu Vamsam with bluish black hue is the one fit for recital to gain Moksham.

Anupallavi

Oh RaamA ! unn nAmam tanai OdhiyE

oru nimisham karai kadantAn Maaruti (Raama)

CharaNam

KoSala kumAri KouSalyai kumaran

mAsaRu ponnAi valampuri mutthAi

tEsuRu vAnavar ThiruviNNagaril

Vaasamalar mAlai soodi MaNantAn Seetayai

Meaning and commentaries :

Pallavi : " Raama NaamamE Taaraka nAmam " is the first half of the Pallavi .It is a declarative statement or can be considered as UpadEsam by a theevra Raama Bhaktha .

Raama Naamam is a Taaraka , Poshaka naamam , whose Mahimai great Raama

BhakthAs like Lord Siva, HanumAn, Raamadaas and Saint ThyagarAja knew.

Taaraka nAmam is one which is rescuing,liberating , saving nAmaa . Poshaka nAmaa is one which nourishes and sustains the reciter of that name of the Lord.

Let us recall some of ThyAgarAja SwamigaL's celebration of the nAma mahAtmyam of Raamachandran :

1. SourAshtra krithi: Paahi Maam HarE MaahAnubhAva Raaghava

Here, Swamigal declares :" I have secured the precious pearl of Raama Naama. I was born uttering Raama Naama and have steadfastly kept on to it.I have reposed

my faith in Your holy feet with a devout mind and sung their glory . "

2. SupOshiNi Raaga Kriti: RaminchuvArEvarur?

RaghUtthama ! Ninu Vinaa

Oh Lord of Raghu Vamsam ! In the entire universe, there is none who can ransport one to transcendental bliss but You . Even the lustrous dEvAs could not know the marmam ( secret significance) of Your holy name or comprehend the limitless wealth of bliss it brings on recitation .

3. Kaapi Raaga krithi: Intha soukyamani nE JeppajAla , yenthO yEmO evaraki dhelusunO?

It is impossible for me to describe the immense joy one derives from the chanting (sankeertanam) of the Raama nAmam .Who indeed can adequately comprehend its measure and Quality ?

4. In another Kaapi Raaga kriti , SwamigaL will reveal that it was Raamachandra , who empowered Sankara in Kali yugaa to utter His nAmam in the ears of the men during their last moments on this earth for liberation ( Kaliyuga manujulakunu nee

tArakamu niDalanEtruni chEtanu veenulu Balkanu gAjEsina Raama) .

4. In a brilliant PantuvaraaLi kriti ,

" SaaramE gaani yanyamArga vichaara

mEDikE? oh ManasA " SwamigaL asks :

Oh my Mind ! Raama Naamam alone is the most precious thing to be sought after . why waste your time chasing other paths and listen to the words of the insignificant ones ?

In the moving charaNa vaakyam , This great Raama BhakthA asks: " Did not Lord Siva ,the Lord of KailAsa , delighting in Saama ghAna ,with all earnestness , drink the nectar of Raama

nAmaa , besides unceasingly uttering the holy name, initiate His beautiful consort , Parvati with this Taaraka mantra , expalining its great

efficacy and significance ?

5. In the PoorNa Chandrika Raaga Krithi made famous by Sri Madurai Mani Iyer ,

ThyAga Brahmam advises his mind about the true significance of chanting the name of Raama : " Oh My mind ! Chant the Lord's name with understanding and thought of Raama to control Your wanderings atleast for a minute " ( Telisi Raama chintanatO naamamu sEyavE Oh Manasaa! ).

6. In the KaraharapriyA raaga krithi made famous by Sri Baala MuraLi KrishNaa ,( Raama! NeeyEDa prEma rahithulaku nAma ruchi dhelusunaa ? Oh SeethA Raama ) Swamigal points out the need for the devotion to Raama to accompany the chanting of His Naama to enjoy the real sweetness of the anubhavam .

7. In a mid day Aaraadhana Ktiti set in MadhyamAvathi Raagam , Saint will instruct us to recite Raama Naamam( Raama Naamam bhaja rE manasA ) and give the reason for his recommendation : " Having secured the rare human body , dispel all doubts , pray that You may be blesed with Moksham and chant His name , addressing Him as VaidEhi's auspicious fortune ( BhAgyam) ".

8. In another conversation with His mind , SwamigaL will get annoyed with his mind about not performing bhajana of Raama Naamam : " Oh My Mind ! Why can not you perform Raama Bhajana , which is the greatest of the MantrAs constantly recited by Brahma , Rudra and other gods ? This redeeming naama of Raama will enable You to cross the samsAric ocean ".

We will continue with the anupallavi and charaNa vAkyams in the next posting .

NamO NamO RaaghavAya aniSam ,

DhAsan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan