IndiaDivine.org

SatakOpar AndhAti : Part XVI: Verse 17 and 18, Based on U.Ve. N.R. KrishNaswamy IyengAr's anubhavam in Tamil

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear BhakthAs of Swamy NammAzhwAr :

Introduction to the Seventeenth SeyyuL

Kambhar describes himself as of lowly birth . He says: " I was like the dog , which enters different homes and eats leftovers. I led the life of a ghost". You ( Swamy NammAzhwAr) came in between and and directed me to learn ThiruvAimozhi. You made me relaize that such an effort is the medicine for cutting off the disease of repeated cycles of births and deaths. He asks: What puNyam did this lowly dog do to deserve this most merciful act on your part ? I can not identify any puNyam , search as I might , to deserve this phalan.My future births in this samsAram are gone. It went by itself once I learnt ThiruvAimozhi. The ghosts left me too on their own accord !

Kambhar has nirvEdham here and states that he was like a wandering ghost in Svaroopam and roopam and in GuNa chEshtitams ( display of guNams) was like a lowly dog running from house to house to eat left over , discarded food.

Kambhar pays tribute to the causeless mercy ( nirhEtuka KrupA) of Swamy NammAzhwAr that helped the erring people of the world to be redeemed from samsaric bonds .

Text of the 17th SeyyuL

NaayppOR piRar kadai tORum nuzhaintavar yecchil nacchip

pEy pOl tiriyum piRaviyEnaip-piRavi yennum

nOy pOm maruntennum nunn ThiruvAimozhi nOkkuvitthu

thAi pOl udhavisey thAikkadiyEn paNDen

sAtitthatE

SeyyuLL 17: Word by Word Meanings:

naay pOl= like a dog in search of Food

piRar kadai tORum nuzhainthu= entering the front and back portions of every stranger's house

avar yecchil nacchi pEy pOl tiriyum piRavi

anaiyEnai= I ate the left overs of the householders with great desire in a hurry before people chase me away ; this is the kind of janmam that I have taken with this despicable svabhAvam .

Piravi yenum nOy pOm marunthu yennum nunn ThiruvAimozhi nOkkuvitthu= You blessed me to direct my gaze towards Your ThiruvAimozhi known as the sure medicine for destroying future births in the samsAra MaNDalam

thAi pOl udhavi seythAykku adiyEn paNDu sAthitathu Yenn ? =Oh AchAryan! What did I do in my previous janmams to deserve this great help that You extended to me as a biological Mother?

Seyyul 18

Introduction to the 18th SeyyuLL:

Kambar throws a challenge here. He asks : " Can Your Sanskrit Vedhams meet and surpass the accomplishments of Swamy NammAzhwAr's Tamizh MaRai ?".

He asks specifically : " Did the Arya Vedhams establish the Parathvam of

Sriman NarayaNan decisively ? , Were they able to straighten out the twists of the Para Mathams ? Did they reveal the correct meanings of PraNavam ? Did they defeat the view of soonya Vaadhaams and the view that this world is unreal ( MaayA Vaadham) ?

Kambhar says that the answer is a resounding no for all these questions and that the Arya Vedhams fall way short of the accomplishments of ThiruvAimozhi.

Text of the 18th SeyyuLL

sAdhikkumE ? paratatthuvattaic-chamayat-thirukkaic-

chEtikkumE? onRu sintikkumE atanait-teriyap-

pOtikkumE ? yengum Ongip-pothuniRku Meyyaip-poyyaic-

chOtikkumE ? unGal Vedham yenkOn Tamizhc-choll yenavE

SeyuLL 18: Word by Word Meaning

UngaL vEdham YenkOnn Tamizh chollenavE paratatthuvattai SaatikkumE ?= Will the (Sanskrti) Vedhams that you all celebrate, establish without any doubt the Supermacy of Sriman NaarAyaNan , just as our Prapanna SantAna Jana Kootastar, Swamy NammAzhwAr established ?

Samaya tirukkai sEthikkumE ? = will they (Sanskrit Vedhams) destroy the twists and turns ( kONals and chikkals) of Para Mathams ?

OnRu sintikkumE ?=will they reveal correctly the true meanings of PraNavam ? Onru refers to PraNavam .

atanai teriya bhOdhikkumE ? = would they be able to reveal those meanings of PraNavam that can be comprehended by all ?

yengum Ongi pothu niRkum Meyyai Poyyai sOthikkumE ? = will they examine the

truth behind the pervasive , ParipoorNa

Para Brhmam and not dress it up as nonexisting falsity ( MaayA) ?

Kambhar raises all these questions about the adequacies of the Sanskrit VedhAs to establish the superiority of Swamy NammAzhwAr's Tamizh Vedhams over the former .

Swamy NammAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam,

DhAsan , Oppiliappan Koil V. Sadagopan