IndiaDivine.org

VAsisHta's Tirunakshatram

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

SAGE VASISHTA’S TIRUNAKSHATRAM

Do you know the Tirunakshatram of Sage VasishTa, who preformed the PattabhishEkam of our dear Lord Sri Ramachandra?

Most of us know who this VasishTa is. The Invocatory slOka for Sri Vishnu Sahasranaama explains this.

Vyaasam VassishTa naphtaaram saktEh poutram akalmasham/

Paraasaraatmajam vandE Sukha taatam TapO nidhim//

Naphtaaram: means Great grandfather.

He was the Great-grandfather of Sage Vyaasa who not only classified the Vedas, but also wrote Mahabharata, the longest epic known to mankind besides the various PuraaNas.

But, most of us do not know the Tirunakshatram of this great Mahaan.

Never mind. We have another Mahaan living in our midst walking through nearly a century of his life who is hailed by all other Acharyas of our Satsampradayam as verily the “VasishTa” among them and as “NaDamaaDum Deivam” (God walking on earth). He is the Seniormost among the Yathis of Bhagavad Ramanuja- Swami Desika Satsampradayam not only in point of age but also on the number of Chaaturmaasyams performed by him ever since he took to Sannyas (Sannyaasa SveekaraNam) some 28 years ago.

He is none other than His Holiness Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam.whose Tirunakshatram is known to all of us, namely Panguni- RohiNi. Today is the day, the Subha dinam when this VasishTa was born 89 years ago. Let us celebrate this wonderful event we are blessed with and offer our obeisnace to him.

It used to be said that unable to enumerate the auspicious qualities of Bhagavaan, the Vedas returned crestfallen.

“Yatho vaachaa nivartantE apraapya manasaa saha”

The same can be said of the qualities of head and heart of Asmad Acharyan. However much we may extol his ‘GuNas”, they fit him like a “T” and yet fall far short of describing him fully. I was therefore, scared to write about him lest it should give an impression that this was all that could be said about him. However, his very qualities compel me to venture to say a few words of obeisance to him.

As LakshmaNa put it, I became a slave to his GuNas.

“guNair daasyam upaagata:”

As Swami Desika puts it in his “GOdha Sthuti”, his guNas embolden even a dumb person like me to venture to write a few lines about him.

“mounaan mukharayanti guNaas tvadeeyaa:

WHAT MAKES HIM QUALIFIED FOR THESE EPITHETS?

Asmad Acharyan belongs to a long line of “Munis” who are absolute “Viraktas” to name fame and material gains but remain silent to the point of being almost incognito shunning publicity and pomp, doing their duties with incredible rigor and intense self discipline.

MUNI IN ALL TANIANS

If you look at the Tanians (Stand alone dedicatory verses) of successive Achaaryas of Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, you will find the word “MUNI” repeated in each one of them (For example)

Paravakkottai Andavan: “gOpaala Desika MUNIM gurum assrayaama:”

Vinnatrankarai Andavan: “Sri Srinivasa MUNIVARYAM aham prapadhyE”

Mannargudi Andavan: “Jnaabdim suguNaakaram MUNIVARAM Sriranganaatham bhajE”

Poundarikapuram Andavan: “rangEsa paada vinatam Srinivaasa MUNIM bhajE”

Narayana Maha Desikan: “naaraayanaakhyam MUNIM aasrayaama:”

PeriyaaNdavan: “Sri Srivaasa MUNEENDRA dEsika maNim sreyOnidhim samsrayE”

TirutturaipooNDi Andavan: “Srimad Srivaasa Ramaanuja MUNIM anagham tam bhajE DesikEndram”

Vazhuttur Andavan: “vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNEH srita bhaagadEyam paadaara vinda yugaLam saraNam prapadhyE”

Tirukkudantai Desikan: “vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNEENDRA krupaata bOdam…”

Sri Saakshaat Swami: vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNIM saraNam prapadhyE”

This repetition of the term “Muni” is not by any accident nor because the composers could not find alternative expressions! I feel it was by way of conscious recognition of the “Virakti” of these Acharyas in not indulging in vain talk but keeping “mum” in silent contemplation and meditation on the Lord. This does not mean that they never speak out at all. Speak they will, but only while expounding the nuances of our Siddhantam in KaalakshEpamas or while advising on AnushTaanams to their Sishyas in private.

TIRTHIP PANI KOLLAL

H.H. is strict on himself and strict on others who come to him. He would never spare anyone committing any indiscretions like coming into the Asramam without washing their feet, without wearing Oordva puNdram and the traditional Pancha Katcham (grihastas) and MaDisaar (for Sumangalis). But, his advice would always be polite “hitam” so that we would be made to feel ashamed of ourselves for the indiscretions.

SANDHYAVANDANAM - A JUSTIFIED HARSHNESS

In the matter of doing Nitya karmas like Sandhyaavandanam, he is uncompromising. Sometimes, he may look a bit harsh but it would always be for our good.

DID YOU WASH YOUR HAND?

Once, I was attending the “Abhigamanam” and Pongal prasaadam was offered and we had to take it with a leaf in our cupped up palms. I had unwittingly kept it on the floor because I was called for some urgent call. This had not escaped the watchful eye of H.H. When I returned and was about to take the prasaadam back, he asked me whether I had washed my hands.

ACCEPTING SISHYAS AND ADMINISTERING RAHASYA MANTRAS

H.H. follows the traditional method of testing the would-be- Sishyas before accepting. He is not the one to consider “Anything is fish that comes to the net”. This is because his only concern is the spiritual welfare of the would-be-Sishya and he is never motivated by monetary considerations that might come with accepting Sishyas indiscriminately.

In my case, when I went to him for BharaNyaasam some 23 years ago, he asked me to go back and listen to KaalakshEpams of the then Villivalam Swami (Present Jeeyar of AhObila Mutt) before coming back to him for the purpose. He asked me to have a bath in the sea at TiruppullaaNi for receiving the mantras. He insists on what Swami Desikan says as “Ashad-karNam” method in administering Rahasya mantras and does not initiate Sishyas en masse.

MOSQUITOES NOT DRIVEN

There were several occasions when we were given to realize that the Sareeram of Achaarya like that of the Lord is made of Suddha Sattvam and not like us.

While describing Rama to Sita in the AshOka vana, Hanumaan says:

“naiva damsaan na masakaan na keeataan na saree srupaan/

raaghavO apanayEt gaatraat tvad gatEnaanantaraatmanaa//” (VR-6-36-42)

I could see this once when I visited the Asramam in the evening. Swarms of mosquitoes were invading everywhere. One cannot open one’s mouth lest a bunch of mosquitoes should get into the mouth. We were fidgety all the time. H.H also went through the same torture. But, not once did he venture to chase away the tormentors, not because he was not bothered but because his concentration was on Bhagavaan.

Is it not said “Paramaatmani yO raktah viraktah aparamaatmani”

Another occasion we were reminded of this was when he had a fall and fractured his leg. The Sishyas offered a wheel chair for him to sit but he refused saying that he was not supposed to touch metal. With excruciating pain, he slowly got up and moved to the Asramam. Anyone of us in similar circumstances would have raised a hell of noise renting cries of suffering.

Here is an Achaarya who proved his mettle in the face of intense pain.

Yet another occasion arose at the time of his SathaabhishEkam in 2001. H.H. used to get up early in the morning before dawn and climb down the steps of the tank that had dried up but with some water in a deep well dug at the center of the tank. Seeing how he was struggling to climb up and down, we suggested that we would put up railings on the side walls of the tank and well so that he could hold them for steadying himself, especially as there was lot of moss and algae all over making the surface slippery. He declined the offer saying again that he cannot touch an iron railing.

To this day, he has been adhering to this difficult exercise!

ONLY WALKS – NO PALLAKKU

He is the only Achaarya who does not travel by car or palanquin till this day. He normally does not go out of Srirangam but when he does on Sanchaaram, he always goes by foot as ordained by the Saastras. This is not a reflection on others who may use vehicles. H.H. used to say that he would not comment on them but this is the norm that he had been following ever since he took up the ascetic order 25 years ago and there was no reason for him to change it now.

Indeed, he is literally and allegorically a “NaDamaaDum Deivam”!

NO TELEPHONE

When we suggested that he should have a Telephone in the Asramam, he resisted the idea saying that it would be a nuisance interfering with his AnushTaanams. We had to convince him that it was in the interests of his Sishyas who were like his children that there should be a phone installed in the Asramam for our sake. I even suggested that we would install an Answering machine with caller id so that he need not have to answer the calls right away but could choose to call back if he felt later that it was necessary for him to respond. Only after much persuasion did he agree to our request to install a telephone... And, this has been a boon to us because we are now blessed to hear his voice through Tele-discourses.

SAPTADI, SATABHISHEKAM AND RAJAT JAYANTI OF HIS SANNYAASA SWEEKARANAM

H.H. would have none of the “Celebrations part” on the occasions of his Saptadi, Sathaabhishekam and Rajat Jayanti of his Sannyaasa Sweekaranam and wanted to keep them at a low key without pomp and paraphernalia. It was almost impossible task for us to make him agree to it. It was because these functions gave opportunities to be in the midst of Veda Vidwaans whose company was dear to his heart, that he accepted our requests.

SAMARPANAI

H.H. never asks for any assistance especially financial assistance from anyone, whether it is for any function or for any Kainkaryams or for even running of the day-to-day administration of the Asramam. He is not the one to accept any Samarpanai unless he made sure that it was tendered without any ulterior motives. Once, he contributed an article to one of the Souvenirs. The publishers published it in the name of another author. H.H. had noticed this but did not object. When the publishers came to offer some honorarium for the article, he politely declined.

COMPASSION INCARNATE

His extraordinary compassion to Sishyas and Abhimaanis should be seen to be believed.

During my last visit in 2006, I could do the “SaashTaanga namaskaaram” only with great difficulty, due to knee pain. H.H. noticed this and immediately motioned to me saying that I did not need to prostrate and that an Anjali was enough. He suggested that I should apply some Ayurvedic Thailams to the knee and even took pains to explain how to apply and how long too apply to get full relief.

TIRU ANBIL DWAJASTHAMBA KAINKARYAM

I will be failing in my duty if I do not mention the immense help and guidance he gave in completing the Dwajasthamba Kainkaryam last year. From the inception to the conclusion, H.H. took personal interest in obtaining estimates from various Sthapatis, arranging for the approval by Temple and HR & CE authorities and instructing on even the minutest details in executing the project.

READY ANSWERS

Every time I go to India, I used to collect a long list of doubts bearing on our Siddhaantam and AnushTaanams for securing clarifications from the H.H. He himself would ask me “Have you brought any list this time?” For every question, he would give a ready and convincing reply and for every doubt he would give startling clarifications with appropriate PramaaNams.

GUEST HOUSE

Noticing that Sishyas and Abhimanis coming from outstations and overseas were experiencing difficulty in getting suitable lodging facilities, he had constructed a beautiful guest house very near the Asramam. Anyone who goes to pay respects to H.H. can book a room at moderate rent (just enough for maintaining it). This is a great boon for people like me.

ACHCHIDRA ASWAMEDA PAARAAYANAM

During my SathabhishEkam in 2005, H.H. suggested that the famous “Achchidra- AswamEdaha PaaraayaNam” may be arranged. I could not find anyone to do it in U.S.A. H.H kindly arranged to have it performed on my behalf at the Asramam itself under his immediate supervision and the Veda Vidwaans were sumptuously rewarded and a grand Tadeeya Aaraadanai was also done at the Asramam.

BOOKS GALORE

H.H. has brought out several publications like Srimad Rahasya Traya Saaram, Chillarai RahasyangaL, Raampiraanai KarpOm etc and almost all Desika StOtras with commentaries of Poorva Achaaryas. This is a yeoman service to the SrivaishNava world that will be eternally indebted to him.

We have the sacred duty of praying to Divya Dhampatis to grant him “PoorNaayus” with pink of health.

"ParavakkOTTai Sri GOpaala Desika Mahaa DesikanE! Innum oru nootraanDirum"

=============================================================================

Guest guest

Sri:

Dear All AasthikAs :

We thank Sriman Anbil Ramaswamin Swamy for the excellent write up on HH Srimath Poundarikapuram Andavan on His 89th Thirunakshatram .

adiyEn has benefitted greatly from my vsisits to Aasramam and Srimath Andavan has blessed many Kaimkaryams to dhivya dEsams and also helped to release DVDs on Yajur and Saama Vedha Sandhyaa Vandhanams with Himself serving as the Adhyakshar . These DVDs are

available at Srimath Poundarikapuram Andavan Aasramam for acquiirng them to your family Library .

Srimath Andavan has also graciously consented to help create a new DVD on Saalagrama AarAdhanam for the benefit of AastikAs , which we hope will happen in the near future .

On this Panguni RohiNi Nakshatram day , adiyEn prostrates before Srimath Poundareekapuram

Andavan and offers adiyEn's prayer for this illustrious AchArya to attain Veda Praayam and bless us all .

NamO SrI RanganathAya,

V.Sadagopan

P.S : Sriman Anbil Swamin referred to AchAryan's taboo against touching metals . Here is some comment on possible reason for such observance .

Modern day medical technology refers to tetanus shot injections against rust particles from scratches entering into the blood stream . By avoiding Metal contact altogether , our AchAryaas in their wisdom have stayed away from contact with such base metals . Copper , Silver , Pancha lOkam and gold are exceptions .

Anbil Swamin's Tributes to His revered

AchAryan on His Thirunakshatram :

Do you know the Tirunakshatram of Sage VasishTa, who preformed the PattabhishEkam of our dear Lord Sri Ramachandra?

Most of us know who this VasishTa is. The Invocatory slOka for Sri Vishnu Sahasranaama explains this.

He was the Great-grandfather of Sage Vyaasa who not only classified the Vedas, but also wrote Mahabharata, the longest epic known to mankind besides the various PuraaNas.

Never mind. We have another Mahaan living in our midst walking through nearly a century of his life who is hailed by all other Acharyas of our Satsampradayam as verily the “VasishTa” among them and as “NaDamaaDum Deivam” (God walking on earth). He is the Seniormost among the Yathis of Bhagavad Ramanuja- Swami Desika Satsampradayam not only in point of age but also on the number of Chaaturmaasyams performed by him ever since he took to Sannyas (Sannyaasa SveekaraNam) some 28 years ago.

He is none other than His Holiness Srimad Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam.whose Tirunakshatram is known to all of us, namely Panguni- RohiNi. Today is the day, the Subha dinam when this VasishTa was born 89 years ago. Let us celebrate this wonderful event we are blessed with and offer our obeisnace to him.

It used to be said that unable to enumerate the auspicious qualities of Bhagavaan, the Vedas returned crestfallen.

The same can be said of the qualities of head and heart of Asmad Acharyan. However much we may extol his ‘GuNas”, they fit him like a “T” and yet fall far short of describing him fully. I was therefore, scared to write about him lest it should give an impression that this was all that could be said about him. However, his very qualities compel me to venture to say a few words of obeisance to him.

As Swami Desika puts it in his “GOdha Sthuti”, his guNas embolden even a dumb person like me to venture to write a few lines about him.

Asmad Acharyan belongs to a long line of “Munis” who are absolute “Viraktas” to name fame and material gains but remain silent to the point of being almost incognito shunning publicity and pomp, doing their duties with incredible rigor and intense self discipline.

MUNI IN ALL TANIANS

If you look at the Tanians (Stand alone dedicatory verses) of successive Achaaryas of Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, you will find the word “MUNI” repeated in each one of them (For example)

TirutturaipooNDi Andavan: “Srimad Srivaasa Ramaanuja MUNIM anagham tam bhajE DesikEndram”

Vazhuttur Andavan: “vEdaanta LakshmaNa MUNEH srita bhaagadEyam paadaara vinda yugaLam saraNam prapadhyE”

This repetition of the term “Muni” is not by any accident nor because the composers could not find alternative expressions! I feel it was by way of conscious recognition of the “Virakti” of these Acharyas in not indulging in vain talk but keeping “mum” in silent contemplation and meditation on the Lord. This does not mean that they never speak out at all. Speak they will, but only while expounding the nuances of our Siddhantam in KaalakshEpamas or while advising on AnushTaanams to their Sishyas in private.

TIRTHIP PANI KOLLAL

H.H. is strict on himself and strict on others who come to him. He would never spare anyone committing any indiscretions like coming into the Asramam without washing their feet, without wearing Oordva puNdram and the traditional Pancha Katcham (grihastas) and MaDisaar (for Sumangalis). But, his advice would always be polite “hitam” so that we would be made to feel ashamed of ourselves for the indiscretions.

In the matter of doing Nitya karmas like Sandhyaavandanam, he is uncompromising. Sometimes, he may look a bit harsh but it would always be for our good.

DID YOU WASH YOUR HAND?

Once, I was attending the “Abhigamanam” and Pongal prasaadam was offered and we had to take it with a leaf in our cupped up palms. I had unwittingly kept it on the floor because I was called for some urgent call. This had not escaped the watchful eye of H.H. When I returned and was about to take the prasaadam back, he asked me whether I had washed my hands.

H.H. follows the traditional method of testing the would-be- Sishyas before accepting. He is not the one to consider “Anything is fish that comes to the net”. This is because his only concern is the spiritual welfare of the would-be-Sishya and he is never motivated by monetary considerations that might come with accepting Sishyas indiscriminately.

In my case, when I went to him for BharaNyaasam some 23 years ago, he asked me to go back and listen to KaalakshEpams of the then Villivalam Swami (Present Jeeyar of AhObila Mutt) before coming back to him for the purpose. He asked me to have a bath in the sea at TiruppullaaNi for receiving the mantras. He insists on what Swami Desikan says as “Ashad-karNam” method in administering Rahasya mantras and does not initiate Sishyas en masse.

MOSQUITOES NOT DRIVEN

There were several occasions when we were given to realize that the Sareeram of Achaarya like that of the Lord is made of Suddha Sattvam and not like us.

raaghavO apanayEt gaatraat tvad gatEnaanantaraatmanaa//” (VR-6-36-42)

I could see this once when I visited the Asramam in the evening. Swarms of mosquitoes were invading everywhere. One cannot open one’s mouth lest a bunch of mosquitoes should get into the mouth. We were fidgety all the time. H.H also went through the same torture. But, not once did he venture to chase away the tormentors, not because he was not bothered but because his concentration was on Bhagavaan.

Another occasion we were reminded of this was when he had a fall and fractured his leg. The Sishyas offered a wheel chair for him to sit but he refused saying that he was not supposed to touch metal. With excruciating pain, he slowly got up and moved to the Asramam. Anyone of us in similar circumstances would have raised a hell of noise renting cries of suffering.

Yet another occasion arose at the time of his SathaabhishEkam in 2001. H.H. used to get up early in the morning before dawn and climb down the steps of the tank that had dried up but with some water in a deep well dug at the center of the tank. Seeing how he was struggling to climb up and down, we suggested that we would put up railings on the side walls of the tank and well so that he could hold them for steadying himself, especially as there was lot of moss and algae all over making the surface slippery. He declined the offer saying again that he cannot touch an iron railing.

ONLY WALKS – NO PALLAKKU

He is the only Achaarya who does not travel by car or palanquin till this day. He normally does not go out of Srirangam but when he does on Sanchaaram, he always goes by foot as ordained by the Saastras. This is not a reflection on others who may use vehicles. H.H. used to say that he would not comment on them but this is the norm that he had been following ever since he took up the ascetic order 25 years ago and there was no reason for him to change it now.

NO TELEPHONE

When we suggested that he should have a Telephone in the Asramam, he resisted the idea saying that it would be a nuisance interfering with his AnushTaanams. We had to convince him that it was in the interests of his Sishyas who were like his children that there should be a phone installed in the Asramam for our sake. I even suggested that we would install an Answering machine with caller id so that he need not have to answer the calls right away but could choose to call back if he felt later that it was necessary for him to respond. Only after much persuasion did he agree to our request to install a telephone... And, this has been a boon to us because we are now blessed to hear his voice through Tele-discourses.

H.H. would have none of the “Celebrations part” on the occasions of his Saptadi, Sathaabhishekam and Rajat Jayanti of his Sannyaasa Sweekaranam and wanted to keep them at a low key without pomp and paraphernalia. It was almost impossible task for us to make him agree to it. It was because these functions gave opportunities to be in the midst of Veda Vidwaans whose company was dear to his heart, that he accepted our requests.

SAMARPANAI

H.H. never asks for any assistance especially financial assistance from anyone, whether it is for any function or for any Kainkaryams or for even running of the day-to-day administration of the Asramam. He is not the one to accept any Samarpanai unless he made sure that it was tendered without any ulterior motives. Once, he contributed an article to one of the Souvenirs. The publishers published it in the name of another author. H.H. had noticed this but did not object. When the publishers came to offer some honorarium for the article, he politely declined.

COMPASSION INCARNATE

His extraordinary compassion to Sishyas and Abhimaanis should be seen to be believed.

During my last visit in 2006, I could do the “SaashTaanga namaskaaram” only with great difficulty, due to knee pain. H.H. noticed this and immediately motioned to me saying that I did not need to prostrate and that an Anjali was enough. He suggested that I should apply some Ayurvedic Thailams to the knee and even took pains to explain how to apply and how long too apply to get full relief.

I will be failing in my duty if I do not mention the immense help and guidance he gave in completing the Dwajasthamba Kainkaryam last year. From the inception to the conclusion, H.H. took personal interest in obtaining estimates from various Sthapatis, arranging for the approval by Temple and HR & CE authorities and instructing on even the minutest details in executing the project.

READY ANSWERS

Every time I go to India, I used to collect a long list of doubts bearing on our Siddhaantam and AnushTaanams for securing clarifications from the H.H. He himself would ask me “Have you brought any list this time?” For every question, he would give a ready and convincing reply and for every doubt he would give startling clarifications with appropriate PramaaNams.

GUEST HOUSE

Noticing that Sishyas and Abhimanis coming from outstations and overseas were experiencing difficulty in getting suitable lodging facilities, he had constructed a beautiful guest house very near the Asramam. Anyone who goes to pay respects to H.H. can book a room at moderate rent (just enough for maintaining it). This is a great boon for people like me.

During my SathabhishEkam in 2005, H.H. suggested that the famous “Achchidra- AswamEdaha PaaraayaNam” may be arranged. I could not find anyone to do it in U.S.A. H.H kindly arranged to have it performed on my behalf at the Asramam itself under his immediate supervision and the Veda Vidwaans were sumptuously rewarded and a grand Tadeeya Aaraadanai was also done at the Asramam.

BOOKS GALORE

H.H. has brought out several publications like Srimad Rahasya Traya Saaram, Chillarai RahasyangaL, Raampiraanai KarpOm etc and almost all Desika StOtras with commentaries of Poorva Achaaryas. This is a yeoman service to the SrivaishNava world that will be eternally indebted to him.

We have the sacred duty of praying to Divya Dhampatis to grant him “PoorNaayus” with pink of health.

=============================================================================

Guest guest

Forwarded

Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:04:15 +0530vidusri2Subject: Re: VAsisHta's TirunakshatramRamanbil

Sri Anbil Swami,Adiyen found your message immensely moving. It was really inspiring to get to know HH Srimath Poundarikapuram Andavan and your devotion to HH.Adiyen, being a nascent devotee, hope to inculcate the AchArya-bhakti I see in you.Most importantly, adiyen prostrates before HH Srimadh Andavan.Thank you very much!namO nArAyanAya!Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,Sriram

Ram Anbil <RamanbilJournal SDDS Tuesday, March 31, 2009 8:15:01 PM VAsisHta's Tirunakshatram

MUNI IN ALL TANIANS

TIRTHIP PANI KOLLAL

DID YOU WASH YOUR HAND?

MOSQUITOES NOT DRIVEN

raaghavO apanayEt gaatraat tvad gatEnaanantaraatman aa//” (VR-6-36-42)

ONLY WALKS – NO PALLAKKU

NO TELEPHONE

SAMARPANAI

COMPASSION INCARNATE

READY ANSWERS

Every time I go to India , I used to collect a long list of doubts bearing on our Siddhaantam and AnushTaanams for securing clarifications from the H.H. He himself would ask me “Have you brought any list this time?” For every question, he would give a ready and convincing reply and for every doubt he would give startling clarifications with appropriate PramaaNams.

GUEST HOUSE

BOOKS GALORE

============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ==