IndiaDivine.org

On Sankalpam in USA

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear friends

This is a FAQ (Frequently asked question) which has been answered as frequently. The subject has been dealt with in Chapter 25 of my book "hinduism Rediscovered" Excerpts are as follows:==============================================================

The Sankalpa that every Hindu makes while initiating any religious practice invariably refers to the exact locale where the rite is performed with reference to the Hindu Cosmology.

(e.g.) In India, the locale part of the Sankalpa would be as follows:

mErOh daksinE paarsvE On the Southern side of Mount mEruJambudveepe In the isle of the rose appleBharata Varshe In the region called Bharata VarshaBharatah Khande In the continent of Bharata etc.

Those doing the rites in the U.S.A, adopt the same as follows:

mErOh paschima dik bhaagE On rhe Westernside of Mount mEruRamanaka Varshe In the region called Ramanaka VarshaAindra Khande In the continent called AindraRocky - McKinley Parvatayor Madhye: Between the mountains of Rockey and McKinley

Misissipi- Missouri Ityaadhi Aneka Shodasa Jeeva Nadeenaam sameepa stite: the place that is surrounded by such perennial rivers like Mississippi, Missouri and 16 other rivers.

==================================================================

I have heard in KaalakshEpams on AnushTaana Granthams that the mEru mountain lies at the Northernmost tip of BhoolOka. Therefore, whether it is America or Australia , North pole or South Pole - all are said to lie on the South of Mount mEru. Therefore, the Sankalpam used in India "mErOh dakshiNE paarsvE' seems to apply to any location on earth.

There is, however, a tendency for non-conformity with what is practiced back home and in the name of novelty in America, some priests have reworded the same as "mErOh Paschima dik bhaagE".

No PramaaNams are available either for this or for the nomenclatures adopted in USA for Varsha, KhaaNDa etc.

To play safe than feel sorry, I include both in my Sankalpam here in USA.

Scholars who have researched deeper on the subject may offer their inputs - not only in citing but also in quoting exactly appropriate PramaaNams in support of their conclusions.

Hope this helps.

Dasoham

===================================================================Tue, 26 May 2009 16:30:24 +0000-accept-B=7TLVcadF_BWcyzWZIN=C0 -owner Subject: MODERATE -- tiruvarur posted to Hello, A message has been sent to the group from tiruvarur The message summary:--------------------FROM: tiruvarur DATE: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:00:08 +0530 SUBJECT: Fwd: Sankalpam for U.S.A ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Tiruvarur Chandrasekaran <tiruvarur Tue, May 26, 2009at 9:56 PM Re: Sankalpam for U.S.A pskannan <poondi_kannan While I was in USA I noticed that pandits used to say AYINDRA KHANDE RAMANAGA PRADESE CROUNCHA DWEEPE etc Dont know the authoritry origin etc On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM, pskannan -------------------- A complete copy of this message has been attached for your convenience. This message requires your approval for one of the following reasons:* Your group is set to moderate all messages from this user, OR* Your group is set to moderate messages from all users To approve or reject this message using the web, please visit:/pending?view=1 & msg=11920 To approve this message using email, reply to this message. You do not need to attach the original message, just reply and send. To reject this message using email, forward this message to -reject-Zmy5khzB6uwE35VpWxpFHeo NOTE: The pending message will expire after 14 days. If you do not take action within that time, the pending message will be automaticallyrejected. does this to maintain a high quality ofservice for our users. Thank you for choosing . Regards, Customer Care

Guest guest

Dear & Respected Anbil Swamin:

There is a pramanam from Shrimad Bhagavatam for Meru's location:

"SarvEshAm api varshAnAm MerO: dakshinassthitaha" implying that all locations in the Bhu loka are located south of the Meru mountain.

I have also heard "Krouncha dwipe" being used by Vaadhyaars in the USA

Vijayaraghavan Chakravarthy

Buffalo/NY

; tiruvarurCC: ramanbilFrom: RamanbilDate: Wed, 27 May 2009 01:19:24 +0000 On Sankalpam in USA

Dear friendsThis is a FAQ (Frequently asked question) which has been answered as frequently. The subject has been dealt with in Chapter 25 of my book "hinduism Rediscovered" Excerpts are as follows:==============================================================

The Sankalpa that every Hindu makes while initiating any religious practice invariably refers to the exact locale where the rite is performed with reference to the Hindu Cosmology. (e.g.) In India, the locale part of the Sankalpa would be as follows: mErOh daksinE paarsvE On the Southern side of Mount mEruJambudveepe In the isle of the rose appleBharata Varshe In the region called Bharata VarshaBharatah Khande In the continent of Bharata etc.

Those doing the rites in the U.S.A, adopt the same as follows:

mErOh paschima dik bhaagE On rhe Westernside of Mount mEruRamanaka Varshe In the region called Ramanaka VarshaAindra Khande In the continent called AindraRocky - McKinley Parvatayor Madhye: Between the mountains of Rockey and McKinley

Misissipi- Missouri Ityaadhi Aneka Shodasa Jeeva Nadeenaam sameepa stite: the place that is surrounded by such perennial rivers like Mississippi, Missouri and 16 other rivers.

==================================================================

I have heard in KaalakshEpams on AnushTaana Granthams that the mEru mountain lies at the Northernmost tip of BhoolOka. Therefore, whether it is America or Australia , North pole or South Pole - all are said to lie on the South of Mount mEru. Therefore, the Sankalpam used in India "mErOh dakshiNE paarsvE' seems to apply to any location on earth.

There is, however, a tendency for non-conformity with what is practiced back home and in the name of novelty in America, some priests have reworded the same as "mErOh Paschima dik bhaagE".

No PramaaNams are available either for this or for the nomenclatures adopted in USA for Varsha, KhaaNDa etc.

To play safe than feel sorry, I include both in my Sankalpam here in USA.

Scholars who have researched deeper on the subject may offer their inputs - not only in citing but also in quoting exactly appropriate PramaaNams in support of their conclusions.

Hope this helps.

Dasoham

===================================================================Tue, 26 May 2009 16:30:24 +0000-accept-B=7TLVcadF_BWcyzWZIN=C0 -owner Subject: MODERATE -- tiruvarur posted to Hello, A message has been sent to the group from tiruvarur The message summary:--------------------FROM: tiruvarur DATE: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:00:08 +0530 SUBJECT: Fwd: Sankalpam for U.S.A ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Tiruvarur Chandrasekaran <tiruvarur > Tue, May 26, 2009at 9:56 PM Re: Sankalpam for U.S.A pskannan <poondi_kannan (AT) (DOT) co.in> While I was in USA I noticed that pandits used to say AYINDRA KHANDE RAMANAGA PRADESE CROUNCHA DWEEPE etc Dont know the authoritry origin etc On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM, pskannan -------------------- A complete copy of this message has been attached for your convenience. This message requires your approval for one of the following reasons:* Your group is set to moderate all messages from this user, OR* Your group is set to moderate messages from all users To approve or reject this message using the web, please visit:/pending?view=1 & msg=11920 To approve this message using email, reply to this message. You do not need to attach the original message, just reply and send. To reject this message using email, forward this message to -reject-Zmy5khzB6uwE35VpWxpFHeo NOTE: The pending message will expire after 14 days. If you do not take action within that time, the pending message will be automaticallyrejected. does this to maintain a high quality ofservice for our users. Thank you for choosing . Regards, Customer Care