IndiaDivine.org

FW: Sankalpam enlightenment - Amavasya days

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Bhaagavatas

I am forwarding my repky to a query by a Bhaagavata regarding observance of Amavasya days in USA. Hope this will be of interest to others also.

I would welcome your feedback.

Thanks

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy

ramanbilTo: lknath70g.rajSubject: RE: Sankalpam enlightenmentTue, 2 Jun 2009 18:18:36 +0000

AMAVASYA DAYS - HOW TO OBSERVE IN THE USA?

Dear Swamin

This is another frequently asked question (FAQ) which has been answered as frequently.

You may observe Amavasya days as per the Indian Calendar that you have. You do not have to recalculate with reference to time differences between India and the USA.

The following are my reasons:

A day consists of the period between Sunrise and Sunset whether it is in India or in USA or in any other place on earth.

The Thithi, Vaara, Nakshatra, Yoga and KaraNa that constitute “Panchangam” are always calculated on any particular day anywhere in the world with reference to the time of Sunrise on that day and that place.

The exact moment of Sunrise and Sunset, Moonrise and Moonset are available for any location on any day in the NASA Website. The same are also featured on local weather channels and also in the local newspapers.

If Amavasya thithhi occurs on a Monday in India, it should be taken as occurring on the corresponding Monday in any location in the World.

“SOME” temple priests in the USA (may be in UK and elsewhere also) who may (or may not be good enough to) do Archanas which is their profession, may not be equipped with even an elementary knowledge of fixing important days like Amavasya etc. Yet, for reasons best known to them, they engage in speculations and recalculate the days to the best of their understanding, believing in the possible influence of time differences supposedly affecting the calculations.

The temples employing them also fall for these miscalculations and bring forth glossy Calendars but with incorrect details which they sell at exorbitant prices. Thus, we have different calendars for every county from Florida on the East Coast to Los Angeles on the West Coast! The temple administrations encourage this trend because this commercialization fetches funds for their activities!

Let me point out some incongruities in such miscalculations:

(1) We all know that Lord Krishna was born at MIDNIGHT in India. Let us assume it falls on the MIDNIGHT of a Sunday, The local pundits recasting calendars based on time difference of say 12 hours between India and USA will be faced with the anomaly of celebrating Sri Jayanthi at MIDDAY. People who religiously keep awake to watch the “Big Apple” falling at the midnight of the “New Year’s day” cannot have the patience to keep awake and celebrate Sri Jayanthi at the appropriate time! Therefore, the pundits help by manipulating the observance to the previous day (Saturday) or the next day (Monday)

(2) Similarly, we all know that Lord Nrisimha appeared on an EVENING. Our pundits will face the predicament of celebrating Nrisimha Jayanthi in the MORNING. Therefore, they manipulate the observance to the previous evening (Saturday) or the next evening (Monday)

(3) The common folk who generally do not know or do not care for these manipulations sheepishly follow the misguidance of the so-called pundits.

(4) To gain some backing for their miscalculations, some local Bhaagavatas (claiming to have the right contacts) rope in some Josyars from India and feed them with such incorrect notions. The result is as we know in Computer jargon “Garbage in- Garbage out” and this is flaunted as being authoritative! If the scholars in India were provided with the correct inputs, they would certainly come up with correct outputs.

(5) I discussed the issue with asmad Achaaryan who agreed that people are misled by interested parties here.

(6) Ever since, I have been pointing this out to all those who approach me for clarification but this has become a “cry in the wilderness”.

CONCLUSION

As stated at the beginning-

You may observe Amavasya days as per the Indian Calendar that you have. You do not have to recalculate with reference to time differences between India and the USA.

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy==================================================================== > Thu, 28 May 2009 11:09:57 -0700> Sankalpam enlightenment> lknath70g.raj ramanbil > Dear Anbil Mama, I have gone thro' the healthy discussions on the type> of Sankalpam to be made in US. I agree with your suggestions and also> of some members of SRS group. Most of us are not aware of these> differentiations to be made and henceforth, I am much obliged to you> for this clarity and enlightenment. One can take shelter by observing> both the types of sankalpams !!> > I wish to seek your help on the exact dates in US when Amavasya> Tarpanams are to be offered,since I have the Indian calender of> events. Would you kindly post this information and other relevant> events etc and the stars relevant to such dates /days when sankalpam> is to be done. Hope this will not add further to your busy schedule.> > With respects,> Lokanath

Guest guest

I am unable to agree with the views. The US temples and Vadhyars are all well looked after and they

need not play with people's mind regarding calendar of events. The devotees who throng the temple

do throng because of their faith and devotion and already they do celebrate certain functions on

week ends though the temple authorities do observe the rituals on the dates on which the events fall.

Both systems that is observing the Indian Panchangam in toto or observe as per the ephemerics

are in vogue in different temples even within the same location both South Indian based and North

Indian based. Surprisingly the Amavasya almost falls on the same day both as per Indian Almanac

and the other one .

The LIVERMORE TEMPLE calendar is available in the website FREE and it is very authentic as

far as US timings are concerned. On the other hand the Lakshmi Ganapathy Temple events

calendar goes strictly by Indian Pamchangam. THIS INFACT HELPS THE PUNDITS AS WELL

AS DEVOTEES TO OBSERVE THE FESTIVALS IN EITHER BASIS WHICH EVER SUITS

THEIR CONVENIENCE.

There used to be one KERALA site MUDGALA.COM who used to give the correct Panchangam

for everyplace in the world but it has not been updated of late. The SIVAYYA TEMPLE

also gives the timings in their website for all places in the world.and the Panchangam.

But it is a fact that THITHI, VARAM and NAKSHATRAMS for USA are not the same

as applicable to INDIA and suitable corrections are to be applied.

Even in India THIRUKKANITAHA Panchangam, VAKYA PANCHANGAMS differ to

one another. Even in observing Amavasya BODHAYANA AMAVASYA is indicated in the

Panchangam.

Also I noticed that in USA they used to say KROUNCHA DWEEPE , RAMANAKA PRADESE

AYINDRA KHANDE etc. in place of Jambu Dweepe,Bharatha Khande etc.

Looking from another angle such of those who observe Amavasya Tharpanam etc are so

sincere in their efforts and anything offered in sincerety and BELIEF is always accepted.

LOVE

TRC

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 4:31 AM, Ram Anbil <Ramanbil wrote:

Dear BhaagavatasI am forwarding  my repky to a query by a Bhaagavata regarding observance of Amavasya days in USA. Hope this will be of interest to others also.I would welcome your feedback. ThanksDasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy 

ramanbilTo: lknath70g.rajSubject: RE: Sankalpam enlightenment

Tue, 2 Jun 2009 18:18:36 +0000

AMAVASYA DAYS - HOW TO OBSERVE IN THE USA?

Dear Swamin

This is another frequently asked question (FAQ) which has been answered as frequently.

The following are my reasons:

A day consists of the period between Sunrise and Sunset whether it is in India or in USA or in any other place on earth.

The Thithi, Vaara, Nakshatra, Yoga and KaraNa that constitute “Panchangam” are always calculated on any particular day anywhere in the world with reference to the time of Sunrise on that day and that place.

The exact moment of Sunrise and Sunset, Moonrise and Moonset are available for any location on any day in the NASA Website. The same are also featured on local weather channels and also in the local newspapers.

If Amavasya thithhi occurs on a Monday in India, it should be taken as occurring on the corresponding Monday in any location in the World.

“SOME” temple priests in the USA (may be in UK and elsewhere also) who may (or may not be good enough to) do Archanas which is their profession, may not be equipped with even an elementary knowledge of fixing important days like Amavasya etc. Yet, for reasons best known to them, they engage in speculations and recalculate the days to the best of their understanding, believing in the possible influence of time differences supposedly affecting the calculations.

The temples employing them also fall for these miscalculations and bring forth glossy Calendars but with incorrect details which they sell at exorbitant prices. Thus, we have different calendars for every county from Florida on the East Coast to Los Angeles on the West Coast! The temple administrations encourage this trend because this commercialization fetches funds for their activities!

Let me point out some incongruities in such miscalculations:

(1)     We all know that Lord Krishna was born at MIDNIGHT in India. Let us assume it falls on the MIDNIGHT of a Sunday, The local pundits recasting calendars based on time difference of say 12 hours between India and USA will be faced with the anomaly of celebrating Sri Jayanthi at MIDDAY. People who religiously keep awake to watch the “Big Apple” falling at the midnight of the “New Year’s day” cannot have the patience to keep awake and celebrate Sri Jayanthi at the appropriate time! Therefore, the pundits help by manipulating the observance to the previous day (Saturday) or the next day (Monday)

(2)     Similarly, we all know that Lord Nrisimha appeared on an EVENING. Our pundits will face the predicament of celebrating Nrisimha Jayanthi in the MORNING. Therefore, they manipulate the observance to the previous evening (Saturday) or the next evening (Monday)

(3)      The common folk who generally do not know or do not care for these manipulations sheepishly follow the misguidance of the so-called pundits.

(4)     To gain some backing for their miscalculations, some local Bhaagavatas (claiming to have the right contacts) rope in some Josyars from India and feed them with such incorrect notions. The result is as we know in Computer jargon “Garbage in- Garbage out” and this is flaunted as being authoritative! If the scholars in India were provided with the correct inputs, they would certainly come up with correct outputs.

(5)     I discussed the issue with asmad Achaaryan who agreed that people are misled by interested parties here.

(6)     Ever since, I have been pointing this out to all those who approach me for clarification but this has become a “cry in the wilderness”.

CONCLUSION

As stated at the beginning-

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy==================================================================== > Thu, 28 May 2009 11:09:57 -0700> Sankalpam enlightenment

> lknath70g.raj ramanbil > Dear Anbil Mama, I have gone thro' the healthy discussions on the type

> of Sankalpam to be made in US. I agree with your suggestions and also> of some members of SRS group. Most of us are not aware of these> differentiations to be made and henceforth, I am much obliged to you

> for this clarity and enlightenment. One can take shelter by observing> both the types of sankalpams !!> > I wish to seek your help on the exact dates in US when Amavasya> Tarpanams are to be offered,since I have the Indian calender of

> events. Would you kindly post this information and other relevant> events etc and the stars relevant to such dates /days when sankalpam> is to be done. Hope this will not add further to your busy schedule.

> > With respects,> Lokanath