IndiaDivine.org

Article on Pomona Brahmotsavam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Bhaagavatas:

I am receiving feed backs from many on my posting “Meeting of Mature Minds” regarding Pomona Brahmotsavam, most of them appreciating my views. A few others, however, who conveniently ignored the finer details in my posting readily pounced upon me to find fault with some of my observations in the first 3 paragraphs only.

I am not elated by bouquets of appreciations nor depressed by brickbats of criticisms.

We are not featuring either of them in “Sri Ranga Sri” for the reasons mentioned in the last lines of this mail.

In the true Srivaishnava spirit as exemplified by Andal’s “naanEtaan aayiDuga”, I plead guilty and beg forgiveness.

I have great regard for the Adyapaka goshti at Kanchi Divyadesam. In fact, you will remember that I had got performed Achchidra- Aswameda Parayanam with the help of this Goshti. I was delighted to notice the sincerity and enthusiasm of the Adhyaapaka GoshTis and Sriman ThaangigaLs in Kanchipuram, in Srirangam who did Dvajasthambam kainkaryam at Tiru Anbil, Tiruvaheendrapuram and in some other Divyadesams also.

I will not dare even in my dreams to commit any Apachaarams to such devout Bhaagavatas.

You know that I am not the kind of person to write such stuff. It was indeed a “faux pas” on my part that seems to have an unintended reward! I am gratified to note that while readers who are usually mute regarding all the good postings according absolutely no recognition, the nitpicking responses now received show that many seem to be not only reading but also raring to criticize! A proof of wider readership, this! Thanks, readers!

I admit that I was rather carried away by the sincere involvement of the Bhaagavatas in Pomona. Possibly the qualitative tenor of renderings by them is partly due to the fact that most of the descendents of our great Acharyas and Poorvacharayas have moved out of India (due to lack of recognition for merit in the atheistic surroundings in India, especially Tamilnadu) and have come together in the USA and elsewhere and strive to reinforce Sanatana Dharma with genuine interest.

Naturally the thought arose of how SOME- REPEAT - SOME SEGMENTS – NOT ALL – elsewhere fit my description well. The target of my observations is this minuscule segment of people who unfortunately fall into the category described by Yaska (please see below).

Actually, “Yaska” the reputed ancient Vedic scholar has a more damaging comment on such people: “One who does not know Vedam with its meaning is like “bharavahee” (donkey)” "sthanur ayam ‘bharavaha’ kila abhoot na vijaanati yO arttham".

Yaska was the celebrated author of “anukramaNi” and “nigaNtu” on “Nirukta” one of the 6 Veda- angas (limbs of the Vedas), the oldest surviving Indian treatise on etymology, philology and semantics. From his words, it would appear that even in his days, (when affluence or penury or living at home or abroad etc. had nothing to do with devotional rendering), there were apparently quite a few who recited Veda Vaakhyas mechanically without understanding the meanings that prompted him to condemn such practices.

“To call a spade a spade” regarding such people cannot be “Bhaagavata apachaaram” Only if Yaska were to be faulted for “Bhaagavata apachaaram” I could also be faulted on the same!

You will notice that I did not mention any particular Divyadesams or any particular goshtis or any particular Bhaagavatas.

My fond hope was that such others who deservedly come under this category should also mend themselves and emulate the example of Pomona goshti.

It was in this spirit that the article was written and not to denigrate any genuine Bhaagavatas.

Let me make it clear that I do not claim to have a “mature mind” myself but as an observer, I found that most of the participants in Pomona did have. May be, I should have been more temperate in my wordings. I am really sorry if I have offended anyone's feelings and will be more careful in future.

I thank all those who have posted spirited responses pointing out my defects and I wish them well.

If anyone of you wishes to discuss further, you are welcome to do so through private mails to Ramanbil because “Sri Rranga Sri” is NOT a forum for debates.

DaasohamAnbil Ramaswamy