IndiaDivine.org

Quiz of the week Answers to 1 and 2 and Quiz # 3 for this week

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Bhaagavatas

It is gratifying to note that there has been overwhelming response from readers to the questions posed in the “Quiz of the week” program. We reproduce here a few responses on Quiz 1 and Quiz 2. We would encourage others also to join in providing answers for enriching our knowledge on the subjects.

IN FUTURE, due to space constraints, we may not be able to reproduce the entire texts of all the responses. We request members to post answers IN BRIEF AND TO THE POINT with appropriate PramaaNams, wherever possible.

We will, however, present the names of those who have responded by way of acknowledging and thanking them and also present briefly the best answer received on “first responded, first featured” basis, where the same answers are posted by more than one!

Dasoham

Anbil Ramaswamy

=========================================================================

Given below is Quiz # 3.

Answers may be sent so as to reach us on or before Sunday 30th August 2009.

========================================================================

If Lakshmi Nrisimha is Periya Perumal because Lord Rama and Lord Srinivasa worshipped him, there is another Perumal who can also be called “Periya Perumal”. Who is this and why?

==========================================================================

Quiz # 1: Answer on Azhagiya Manavalan

==========================================================

From Sri kannan poondi (poondi_kannan)

Manavalan means Mappilai (son-in-law).Since Lord Ranganatha married Andal and her beauty is radiated to him he is called Azhagiya Manavalan (Mappilai of Periyazhvar)- pskannan

----------------------

From Sri M.N.Ramanuja (mnr)

Apart from the explanation given here, I would like to mention that Andal married Azhagiya Manavalan in Srivilliputtur and Ranganatha is presented as Azhagiya manavalan in Andal tirukkalyanam. It could be the answer forthe quiz. Pl excuse me if I am wrong.Adiyen

Quiz # 2: Answers on Periya Perumal

=============================================

From Sri Raghunathachari jagannathan (rj20036)

Dear Swamin

During Lord Srinivasa and Padmavathy Thayar Kalyanam all MahaRishis, Indradi Devathaigal had all assembled to witness this unique Divine wedding. Agni Baghavan was the cook who had prepared variety of dishes and Sweets for the wedding. Brahma arrived for Perumal Aradhanam and neivedhanam prior to serving the prasadam to those assembled for the wedding. Brahma was in doubt as to whom the dishes and sweet had to be offerd since Perumal Himself (Srinivasa) was sitting on the mana-palahai as the bridegroom. So Brahma asked Lord Srinivasa (the bridegroom) " I do not know to whom I should offer these dishes and sweets as you yourself are now sitting here as the bridegroom. To this Lord Srinivasa told Brahma to offer these to Lord LakmiNrisima (Ahobhila Nrismhan) and then distribute the prasdam to all. Brahma performed Aradhanam and neivedhanam to Ahobila Nrisimhan as ordained by Lord Srinivasa and distributed the Prasdam to all. Lord Srinivasa and Padmavathy Thayar worshipped Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha during their wedding. This is narrated in detail in Padmavathy Thiru kalyanam.

Adiyen dasan R Jagannathan

--------------

From Smt. Indira Sampath (indiras)

Respected Sriman Anbil Swamy, How are you Swamin? I appreciate all your Kainkarya Sri and thank you for the same.I have very little knowledge with regard to Sampradhayic matters- a safe example of "jnaana soonyam". However, I am trying a guess at it with a reason for calling Lord Sri Lakshmi Nrisimha as Peria Peria Perumal.

Here it goes! There is reference to Sarveswaran having taken one of His Vibhava Avatharams as Sri Rama, had worshipped Sri Ahobila Nrisimhan en route from Sri Lanka. Then there is the reference to Sri Srinivasa Perumal offering His wedding (to Sri Padmavathy Thaayar) feast to Sri Lakshmi Nrisimhan as the Aaraadana moorthy. Since there are two instances of essentially the same Parama Purushan highlighting in two separate Vibhava avatharams at different times worshipping Sri Laksmi Nrisimha , Himself, may be He is called Peria Peria Perumal. Please forgive the errors.Very humblyIndira Cidambi sampath,Los Angeles, Ca.

-----------------------

From Sri Srinivasan (srinivas_sgm)

According to our sampradhayam, Lord Rama is called as "Perumal". Since he had Lord Ranganatha as his Aaradhaya daivam, Lord Ranganatha is called as "Peria Perumal". Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha is called as “Peria Peria Perumal” because he had been worshipped by 2 Lords.

1. Lord Rama 2. Lord Srinivasa of Thirumalai.

2. Lord Rama worshipped Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha at Ahobilam before proceeding to south from Kishkintha with army of vanaras. Lord Srinivasa of Thirumalai worshipped Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha at Ahobilam before his marriage. When Brahma asked Lord Srinivasa as to whom he should offer food/Nivethanam before Lord Srinivasa’s marriage. Lord Srinivasa immediately mentioned that he should offer it to Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha of Ahobilam. It has been followed as a custom in temples when Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha is present in the temple along with other forms of Sriman Narayana, first nivethanam should always go to Lord Lakshmi Nrisimha. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Dasan Srinivasan

From Smt. Padmasani Sowmia (padmasanisowmia)

I remembered that I read from one of Mukkur Swami Sri Lakshmi Nrusimhan's book Kurai Onrum Illai. But then I wasn't sure about PramaaNam and all.

The worship of Bhagavan Nrusimha by Lord Srinivasa is eloquently documented in Venkatachala mahAthmyam. Specifically, at the time of his wedding to Padmavathi Thayar Srinivasa was seated in the altar ready to perform wedding rites. Agni personally prepared food for the occassion. Brahma questioned Srinivasa " To whom should the food be offered when Bhagavan Himself is present?" For that Lord Srinivasa replied"ahObila nrusimhAya pUjAm kruthvA yathA viDhi"

I prayed Lord Nrusimha and searched google for PramaaNam and here it is:

Link is: http://www.scribd.com/doc/15202265/NarasimhaAvtaaram

Our discussion point is given in 12th page

I will search if any other PramaaNam is available as well.

with respect,

Padmasani Sowmia

----------------------