IndiaDivine.org

SrI tyAgarAja kriti 5 - aDugu varamula- Arabhi Raga

Rate this topic

Guest guest

SrI:

SrI rAmacandra parabrahmaNe namaH

Kriti 5

Song aDugu varamula-

Raaga ArabhiIn the kRti ‘aDugu varamulanu’ – rAga Arabhi, SrI tyAgarAja how the Lord tests prahlAda by granting him boons. Please read the whole kriti as the wordings of Lord addressed to prahlAda.Pallavi

aDugu varamulan(i)cchedanuAnupallavi

aDugaDuguku ninnE talacucunnAnu adbhutamaina bhaktiki sokkinAnu (a)Charanam1

dhana kanakamulu(y)ennaina nIku dAra putrulu sogasaina(y)iNDla canuvunan(o)sagudu saMSayam(E)la tanuvu cikkgan(E)la dAnava bAla (a)

Charanam2

akrama danujula koTTi nI- (y)Apadalanu tala meTTi vikramamuna bahu vikhyAtigA vidhi sakr(A)dula paTTamulan(o)sagedanu (a) Charanam 3

vAji gaj(A)ndOLikamulu nIku varamaina maNi bhUSaNamulu rAjigan(o)sagaka rava tALa lEnu vara tyAga- rAj(A)ptuDa nEnu (a)Gist(Lord Hari’s words to prahlAda)

O child of asurAs ! O Friend of Blessed tyAgarAja!

I grant You whatever boons you seek.

I am thinking of You alone at every step; I am fascinated by Your wonderful devotion.

I shall lovingly grant You any amount of wealth gold, wife, children and luxurious houses; why have any doubt? Why should You be emaciated? Slaying the unruly demons and relieving your miseries, I confer on You, victoriously and with much fame, the titles of brahmA indra and others.I do not tolerate even a bit without bestowing on You with my full consent, horses, elephants, palanquins and exquisite ornaments studded with precious stones.Word-by-word Meaning

P I grant (iccedanu) You whatever boons (varamulanu) (varamulaniccedanu) you seek (aDugu).

A I am thinking (talcucunnAnu) of You alone (ninnE) at every step (aDugaDuguku); I am fascinated (sokkinAnu) by Your wonderful (adbhutamaina) devotion (bhaktiki); I grant You whatever boons you seek.

C1 I shall lovingly (canuvunanu) grant (osagudu) (canuvunanosagudu) You (nIku) any amount of (ennaina) (literally any number of) wealth (dhana) gold (kanakamulu) (kanakamuluyennaina), wife (dAra), children (putrulu) and luxurious (sogasaina) houses (iNDla) (sogasainayiNDla); why (Ela) have any doubt (saMSayamu) (saMSayamEla)?Why (Ela) should You be emaciated (tanuvu cikkaganu) (literally body become thin) (cikkaganEla), O child (bAla) of asurAs (dAnava)? I grant You whatever boons you seek.

C2 Slaying (koTTi) the unruly (akrama) asurAs (danujula) and relieving (tala meTTi) (literally kicking the heads) your (nI) miseries (Apadalanu) (literally calamities) (nIyApadalanu), I confer (osagedanu) on You, victoriously (vikramamuna) and with much (bahu) fame (vikhyAtigA), the titles (paTTamulanu) (paTTamulanosagedanu) of brahmA (vidhi) indra (Sakra) and others (Adula) (SakrAdula);

I grant You whatever boons you seek.

C3 I do not (lEnu) tolerate (tAla) even a bit (rava) without bestowing (osagaka) on You (nIku) with my full consent (rAjiganu) (rAjiganosagaka), horses (vAji), elephants (gaja), palanquins (AndOlika) (gajAndOLikamulu) and exquisite (varamaina) ornaments (bhUSaNamulu) studded with precious stones (maNi); O Friend (AptuDa) of Blessed (vara) tyAgarAja (tyAgarAjAptuDa)!I (nEnu) grant You whatever boons you seek.

Notes –

General – The words ‘iccedanu’, ‘osagadenu’ are in present tense. This is so because whatever is willed by the Lord is accomplished. He is known as ‘satya sankalpa’.

A – aDugaDuguku – this is how it is given in the book of TSV/AKG; however, in the book of TKG, it is given as ‘aDugaDugu’. In the present context, ‘aDugaDuguku’ is the appropriate word.

C3 – tyAgarAjAptuDa – This is how it is given in all the books other than ATK, wherein it is given as ‘tyAgarAjAptuDu’. As the kRiti, as a whole, addressed to prahlAda, ‘tyAgarAjAptuDa’ is appropriate. Lord Narasimha introduces himself as the friend of Thyagaraja.

Additional Comments By SrI V Sadagopan:

This kriti is from PrahlAdha Bhakta Vijaya. This naatakam by Thyagaraja Swami is unique in that it does not cover the destruction of the offending HiraNya Kasipu but instead celebrates of the triumph of PrahlAdA’s extraordinary bhakti. Lord tests his devotee with all kinds of boons and PrahlAda rejects them and chooses unconditional devotion at the sacred feet of the Lord over all other boons. This kriti in Aarabhi is one of the 45 kritis of PrahlAdha Bhakti vijayam. 28 RaagAs are used in construction of the 45 kritis. Arabhi with Saanta rasam is one of the 28 raagAs used in this gEya Naataka (opera) of Saint ThyagarAja.

The nishkAma bhakti of PrahlAdhan is being celebrated in this kriti. Lord Narasimhan’s roopam was frightening to all. Brahmaa asked PrahlAdha to reduce the anger of JwAla Narasimhan after His destruction of HiraNya Kasipu. While even the Lord’s consort hesitated to approach Her Lord, PrahlAdhan approached Him without fear and praised Him with 42 slOkams. Lord Narasimha became a Saanta Moorthy to His devotee and placed His hand on the child devotee, PrahlAda and thru that gesture blessed all the world. Our Lord blessed the child and asked him to seek any boon he wishes. PrahlAdhan requested a boon of having freedom from the desire to ask boons from the Lord. His conviction as a Garbha BhAgavata was that Bhakti to the Lord is for Bhakti’s sake. He declares in the 7th canto, 7th chapter of Srimad Bhaagavatam that Kaimkaryam at the Lotus feet of the Lord is the boon of all boons and to see the Lord everywhere is the bliss of all blisses. He says that is the only goal of life. Although he was born in the family of asurAs, PrahlAda was the greatest of all bhaktAs of the Lord. He eulogized the Lord’s roopam as the one that chases away the fears of all ( roopam Nrusimha vibhayAya janA: smaranti).

PrahlAdha Bhakti Vijaya keertanis have been recorded in the Cleveland ThyAga Brahma AarAdhanam of 2008 including this Aarabhi kriti:

http://www.aradhana.org/sampradhaya

Audio of the Bhajan style of singing by Sri Raamamurthy and his group as well as link to a moving ShOdasa Baahu Narasimha Ashtakam is included in this posting.

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/audio/5adugu-varamula.mp3

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/audio/Sri_Sodasha_Bahu_Narasimha_asthakam.mp3

NamO SrI NrisimhAya,

DAsan, Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

NOTE: Those who prefer to have a PDF or WORD document copy of this write-up can download either of the format from the following links:

WORD doc: http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/word_docs/kriti5_adugu_varamula.doc

PDF: http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/pdf/kriti5_adugu_varamula.pdf