IndiaDivine.org

mAran paNittha tamizh maRaiyum adharku mangayar kOnin Aru-angamum!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Heads up - Reader must be familiar with the following:a) upadEsa ratna mAlai - swAmy mAmunigaLb) Familiar of kaNNan kazhaliNai pAsuram from TiruvAimozhi that madurakavigaL used to prove nammAzhvAr's few liners are the best out of allc) First ten pAsurams of Tirumozhi(Tirumangai AzhwAr)The post is really enjoyable due to the contents(my swAmy's kAlakshEpam) rather than the ugly way it is presented(my glories:) - yet, as it is very long, please do take some time to patiently read it. The post explains one of the greatness of tamizh maRai that I could bet only a handful of our community would be aware of and hence is worth reading:))Preamble:Every statement from Veda is taken up by each anga of veda(vedanga)and expanded/explained upon. The 6 vedangas have their role as follows:1. siksha {recitation} - deals with the pronunciation/recitation of the words2. vyAkaraNam {grammar} - deals with grammar explaining the syntax of the statements3. niruktham {word formation, root / source of the word} - deals with the Etymology 4. chandas {word's composition in terms of letters} - deals with the letters(aksharams, syllable count) and their formation in group(gAyatri chandas contains 24 letters) etc.5. jyotisham {time} - what is a good time to recite/chant/do what.6. kalpam {phalam} - talks about various rituals and their result .Now, mAmunigaL says in upadEsa ratna mAlai that 'mAran paNitthatamizhmaRaikku mangaiyarkOn Ar-angam kUra avataritta'. By this swAmymeans that the 4 vedas of swAmy nammAzhvAr1.tiruvAimozhi {sAma vEdam}2.tiruviruttam {rig vEdam}3.tiruvAsiriyam {yajur vEdam}4.periya tiruvandAdi {atarva(Na) vEdam}have kaliyan's 6 works as angams (not necessarily in the same order of the actual vEdAngAs)1. periya tirumozhi2. tirukkurunthAndagam3. tirunedunthAndagam4. siriya tirumadal5. periya tirumadal6. tiruvezhukkUttrirukkaiKeeping the above in mind, now let us examine whether mAmunigaL's statement is just a casual one to simply say that the 6 works of kaliyan are 6 angams of mAran's tamizh maRai or is it really possibleto take up each statement in mAran's tamizh maRai and expand it as per six angas in one or many of kaliyan's work there by proving these as equivalent of the vedAngAs indeed.nirvAham:First, Let us take a statement from AzhwAr's tamizh maRai:kaNNan kazhaliNainaNNum manamudaiyIreNNum tirunAmamthiNNam nAraNamE!The above pAsuram is much better than (and beyond) the confusing vedicstatement : nArayaNAya vidmahE vAsudEvAya dhImahi thannO vishNu prachodayAt- the reason being, in the vedic statement it talks about 3 vyApakamantrams but it does not exactly tell which one is the right one for prapannAs. AzhwAr makes it crystal clear in a simple statement - forthose who surrender to the lotus feet of lord kaNNan(/krishnan/paramAtmA...) their very thought would recite only the name 'nArAyaNa' and concludes so.The entire tirumantrArtha prakaraNam of swAmy lOkAchAriar has the above pAsuram as the basis.Now taking this statement of AzhwAr, let us apply the vedAngAs of aruLmAri:) (kaliyan) on the nArAyaNa nAmam:Most of the below mentioned lines are from the First 10 - vAdinEn vAdi varundinEn manatthAl - padigam of Tirumozhi:1. siksha - 'ULLelAm urugi, kural thazhutthu ozhindhu udambelAm kaNNa nIr sOra naLLiruLavum pagalum nAn azhaippan' says tirumangai AzhwAr - i.e. he says the heart must melt, the voice must too, the tears should bath our body and thus we must tell this word nArAyaNa be it the darkest of the nights or the days.2. vyAkaraNam - 'empiRan' says AzhwAr - meaning, he defines the grammar of nArAyaNa - that means our abode - empiRan being the literal definition of nArAyaNa3. niruktham - 'empiRan' is supported by the etymology of words - 'endhai'(my father), 'ennudai sutram'(my relatives), 'emakkarasu'(my lord)4. chandas -'nin tiruvettezhutthu' - ashtAkshari that contains the 8 aksharas.5. jyotisham - 'tunjumbOdhu azhaimin tuyarinil ninaimin tuyarilIr sollilum nandrAm' says AzhwAr i.e cry out His name nArAyanA when you are crumbling, or in deep sorrow, or even if you are ok, it doesn'tmatter, tell His name - it will protect us.6. Kalpam - the result - 'kulam tharum, selvam thandidum adiyAr paduthuyar AyinavellAm nilamtharam seyyum, nIL visumbarulum' that is, the word nArAyaNa will give us a better birth, the aishwaryam, destroy all our sorrows and what not..nammAzhwAr says nAraNamE and mangai mannar tells us how/why/when to tell and what would it do:)Isn't this small example sufficient to say that it was not a casual statement from swAmy mAmunigaL when he said "mAran paNittha tamizh maRaikku mangayar kOn 'Aru-angam' kUra avatiratta vIrudaiyakArthigayil kArthigai nAL indrendru kAdalippAr"???adiyEn,dAsAnu dAsanPS: As usual, I have heard this in a kAlakshEpam and all credits and merits go to my swAmy and only the demerits are mine :)Also, it is left to the reader to identify such mappings to substantiate more on the fact that our pUrvAchArya vachanams are not just some words up in the air but are really the eternal truth.