IndiaDivine.org

Spreading Sri Vaishnava Sampradayam across the world

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Jai Shriman Narayana !

Dear Bhagvatas.

I am a Gujarati Brahmin boy who got intrested in great teachings in

lineage of YatiRaja Sri Ramanujacharya after coming to west.

I want to follow the Sri sampradayam very sincerely but as I live in

Europe could not get much literature here. Your and

message is the only source of spiritual inspiration apart from Sri

Hari and picture of Ramanujacharya I have.

I have nothing against Tamil and I do believe that translation will

loose few emotions, which can be expressed in the language but still

it is the shortest and only way for us to relish the Vaibhavam

(glories) of our sampradaya.

I have read from one of the post that U Ve Velukkudi Swamy has given

discourses in English. Could you please give us the source ? Any

other person giving spiritual discourses in English? Please give us

source information also.

My European wife also is very much intrested in Sri Vaisnava

parampara (lineage) but as not much literature available in Europe

she is reading books from ISKCON. Prabhupada has done commendable job

in bringing Vaisnavism to west. I also wish that more and more

literature and books are translated from Sampradaya to help the souls

like us. People who knows Tamil and Sanskrit will be very merciful to

other souls in providing much needed translation of Spritual books.

Pranams,

Raghu

Guest guest

Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha Srimad vara vara munayE Namaha Dear Sri Vineeth svami,

This is not my individual message but has been written in consultation with learned persons in and outside the groups.

Nice to know that you have the strong thirst to know our Srivaishnava sampradayam and that you have been following the emails in these groups actively. This not only speak volumes of your intense faith and iinterest in our sampradhayam but also deep involvement in the groups. We thank you very much for this. This is also a testimony to the efficacy of the groups.

Most of the works are being covered in english as far as possible. Let us see the observations point by point from the writer perspective: Please note the difficulty people might face:1. Many of the non-tamil Sri Vaishnavas do not understand the tamil usage - words, pasurams etc. Srivaishnava sampradayam is called as ubhaya vedantham and if you want to dwell deep into the anubhavams of azhvars and acharyas it is is better understood if one knows tamil.

To understand purusha sUktham or upanishads, we had to learn a bit of sanskrit.

The english translations of the works at best can bring the essence of AzvAr-s works but can never convey the emotions of AzvAr-s. These emotions are unique unlike Vedic verses.

These emotions emanate out of entanglement with the Almighty.

The purpose of english writing is intended to kindle interest and also communicate the message. However, it can never be substitute for original works.

The greatness of original work can be realised only if one undestands a bit of tamil.

I hasten to add however that we are not against non tamil people. Azvar-s verses are best understood in tamil and that is the crux of this.

2. There is no translation for the pasurams. For ex: You mention 'this is how Alwar experienced Perumal' and pasuram quotation goes... !! And we will never know what Alwar experienced, if you do not translate the Pasurams. Azhvar's paasurams are not just mere words to translate into any language. It is filled with so much inner essence and each paasuram is linked with the previous one and each canto is linked to each other. So it is not just easy to put translations for portions of paasurams that are quoted.

English is being the platform with whcih the pasuram-s are being conveyed. Most of the writers do write and translate in english. adiyean for one try my best to do so, but do to my lack of perfection in communication and level of excellence in the language which is my failing, perhaps, i have not be able to do justice. Please condone this.

However, it is requested that wherever there are gaps, the reader may send query perosnaly or even to the gorups for clarification.

3. Except in Tamilnadu, most parts of the country uses the Lunar Calendar. We are unable to match the nakshatram information and we do not understand the month names you use. It will be nice if you use Sanskrit names along with Tamil names. True, but if we do not know the equivalanet sanskrit names this becomes a problem and i also know people who do not know even a syllable of sanskrit and hindi.

4. Sometimes, when you are requesting donations, the wordings are also in Tamil.. For example "Please donate for the Tirumadil..." So what is Tirumadil ? Our PurvAchAryas have neither communicated in tamil nor in sanksrit. They did it asa mixture - maNi pravALam. Their usage of certain words are unique.

This is the reason.

We very well understand that Tamil is an integral part of Sri Vaishnava Sampradayam. But Sri Vaishnavam cannot be only for Tamil speakers/Tamil speaking Sri Vaishnavas! It is true that srivaishnavism is not only for Tamil speakers and Tamil speaking Sri Vaishnavas but you cannot deny the fact that Srivaishnavism cannot exist without azhvar's arulicheyal . Rama and not Ramar, or Chakravarthi Tirumagan ? In Tamil Nadu only people who learn kamba ramayanam as literature say raman seethai, our PurvAcharyas never refer to Sri Rama as rama instead they use only chakravarthi thirumagan (as a matter of respect) or perumal and piratti. We are only following this in the write ups and still not able to elevate us to their level.

Regarding iskcon.

Yes, adiyean entirely agree that if iskcon had confined to bengali, perphas it might not have spread much. However, unlike iskcon

our pillar or premise on whihc our sampradhyam has sprouted is "AzvAr-s and their verses' This big and large difference is so telling that cannot be exaclty told in another language.

Conlcusion:

It has been the endevaour and will be so in future in the groups to translate pAsurams and the vyAkyAnam-s -the commentaries- to the nearest extent possible.

We reiterate that this forum is for all. SrevaishNavism is for both non tamil speaking and tamil speaking class.

However, there can be no second opinion that Azvar's verses nor Purvacharyas works can not be exactly substituted in english.

The attmept in the group is to bring to the nearest as far as possible to the original work.

At the cost of repetition adiyean reiterate that:

The purpose is to kindle knowledge and be a springboard for further learning process.

The group messages are not an end in itself but the beginnig of a long journey. This is my humble opinion.

Efforts from the readers to learn some PurvAchARyas unique phrases and some basic tamil to better understand these,will go a long way to bridge the gap.

Azhvar emperumanar Jeeyar thiruvadigalE sharaNam

adiyean

dasan

vanamamalai padmanabhan

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Venkata Vineeth K < kvvineethJun 28, 2007 6:06 PM [sri ramanuja] Spreading Sri Vaishnava Sampradayam across the world ramanuja

Srimathe Ramanujaya NamahaSrimad Varavara Munaye NamahaSrimannarayana Ramanuja Yatibhyo NamahaOm Asmad Gurubhyo Namaha Jai Srimannarayana

Pranamams to the feet of all bhagavatas! We have been reading several posts in this groups for quite sometime. We are glad that there are so many scholars and knowledgable people here. Our dasohams to all of you. We have d to the groups, in the hope of learning more of our glorious Sampradayam. But here is our disappointment.. Please note the difficulty people might face:1. Many of the non-tamil Sri Vaishnavas do not understand the tamil usage - words, pasurams etc. 2. There is no translation for the pasurams. For ex: You mention 'this is how Alwar experienced Perumal' and pasuram quotation goes... !! And we will never know what Alwar experienced, if you do not translate the Pasurams. 3. Except in Tamilnadu, most parts of the country uses the Lunar Calendar. We are unable to match the nakshatram information and we donot understand the month names you use. It will be nice if you use Sanskrit names along with Tamil names. 4. Sometimes, when you are requesting donations, the wordings are also in Tamil.. For example "Please donate for the Tirumadil..." So what is Tirumadil ? We very well understand that Tamil is an integral part of Sri Vaishnava Sampradayam. But Sri Vaishnavam cannot be only for Tamil speakers/Tamil speaking Sri Vaishnavas! Many of us would want to learn Tamil to understand, experience the words - no doubt. But it cannot happen if you dont use Tamil with equivalent English/Sanskrit words.. So, in the groups, it is better to have Tamil words with equivalent English/Sanskrit words.. It is fact that English is a lowly language when it comes to expressing the Alwars feelings, experiences, etc.. But still, since it is the chosen language of the groups, it will be nice to write postings not only for ardent Sri vaishnavas but also for commoners alike..including Americans etc You can help interested devotees by this way: Try to put the English/Sanskrit translation in brackets or vice-versa. Many like us are more familiar with Sanskrit terminologies, since it is more widely used in many parts of India and the world, than Tamil. So whenever there are any Sanskrit words, just try not to Tamilize them.. For example: "Avatarika (introduction) can be kept as Avatarika only instead of making it a "avatarikai" ! , Pratishta and not Pratishtai. Rama and not Ramar, or Chakravarthi Tirumagan ? For Swamy's names like Ramar, Krishnan...you could use them, but just put the actual name too in brackets...or vice-versa. Put the Alwars, Acharyas Sanskrit names too in brackets... If ISKCON had stuck to Bengali, it would have been nowhere now ! Since Ramanuja Sampradayam has to spread everywhere in this world - as teachers, and scholars, you carry more responsibility than the seekers. This way you can make everyone feel part of this great Sampradayam.. We sincerely pray and beg your pardon again and again at your feet for any offences committed... Bhagavat Bhaagavata Acharya Kainkarya Rupena, Adiyen Venkata Vineeth Ramanuja Dasa Adiyen Deepa Ramanuja Dasi Jai Srimannarayana! Alwar Emperumanaar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam! Sri Chinnajeeyar Swamiji Thiruvadigale Saranam! "Surrender to SRIMANNARAYANA! Serve HIM and HIS true devotees (Bha:gavatas) with intense devotion"

oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers , not web links.

Guest guest

Glad to hear great vaishavites in Eurpe. Vedics.net (note pleural) has all cds given by sr vellukudi and please make sure that english cds are given at the end. best of wishes. chary(not yet a mature vaishnavite to call myself adiyen)Raghu <raghurawal wrote: Jai Shriman Narayana !Dear Bhagvatas.I am a Gujarati Brahmin boy who got intrested in great teachings in lineage of YatiRaja Sri Ramanujacharya after coming to west. I want to follow the Sri sampradayam very sincerely but as

I live in Europe could not get much literature here. Your and message is the only source of spiritual inspiration apart from Sri Hari and picture of Ramanujacharya I have.I have nothing against Tamil and I do believe that translation will loose few emotions, which can be expressed in the language but still it is the shortest and only way for us to relish the Vaibhavam (glories) of our sampradaya.I have read from one of the post that U Ve Velukkudi Swamy has given discourses in English. Could you please give us the source ? Any other person giving spiritual discourses in English? Please give us source information also.My European wife also is very much intrested in Sri Vaisnava parampara (lineage) but as not much literature available in Europe she is reading books from ISKCON. Prabhupada has done commendable job in bringing Vaisnavism to west. I also wish that more and more literature

and books are translated from Sampradaya to help the souls like us. People who knows Tamil and Sanskrit will be very merciful to other souls in providing much needed translation of Spritual books.Pranams,Raghu

Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join 's user panel and lay it on us.