Lokacharya Panchasat - 52

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sri:Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

shrIman nigamAnta mahAdeshikai: anugrihItam

|| kumAra lokAchArya pa~nchAshat ||

Shloka 52:

vedAntoktivishodhiteShu cha yata: karmAdyupAyeShu me shaktirna praguNA niShiddhakaraNairmuhyanti vAgAdaya: |shrIvANIrasajIvanam shamadhanam rAmAnujam madgurum yogIndram bhuvanArya vIkshaya vimalairmAm pAlayAlokanai: ||

Meaning:

he bhuvanArya - O! Lokacharya.yata: - For whatever reasonpraguNA shakti: - the excellent strengthkarmAdi upAyeShu - in the paths of Karma yoga, Gyana yoga and Bhakti yogavedAntokti vishodhiteShu - that are well analyzed and made pure by Vedantasna - is not thereme - in me;vAk Adaya: - my senses such as speechniShiddha karaNai: - do what is not suppposed to be donemuhyanti - and are trapped;tata: - for that reason,vIkshaya - seeingmadgurum rAmAnujam - my acharya Kidambi Ramanuja PillanshrIvANIrasa jIvanam - who has the divine words of elders as sustenanceshamadhanam - and has peace as his wealth,yogIndram - and Ramanuja,vimalai: Alokanai: - with your blemishless sightpAlaya - protectmAm - me (who is their disciple).

Vyakhyana Saram:Swami Alavandar, in his Stotra Ratnam, prays to the Lord that He shouldsee neither his good deeds nor his bad deeds and instead should noticeonly the fact that he is associated with Sriman Nathamunigal and for thatreason alone should shower His grace on him.Similarly, in this shloka, Swami Desikan states that he does not have the strength to follow the paths of Karma, Bhakti or Gyana as stated in the Vedantas; and his senses are trapped by doing things that areforbidden in the Shastras. Therefore, he says that Swami Lokachariar,who is the avatara of Kanchi Varadaraja, should shower his grace onhim by seeing only his association with his acharyas Kidambi RamanujaPillan and Swami Ramanuja.This ties with Swami Lokachariar's srisukti 'AchArya abhimAnamEuththAragam'.

Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Sharanam