IndiaDivine.org

Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear adiyars

I have a question on the position of SrI RAdha. What is the SrI Vaishnava's

position with respect to SrI Radha? She is glorified in various PurANas. There

are also some sruti reference quoted about her.

a) There is a sannidhi called " Radha-Rukmini Krishna " right opposite Thayar

sannidhi in Sri Rangam. How did this happen & when did this happen?

b) The Prapannamrita Tarpana ( Vol 2- Sri vaishnava Sri) mentions when talking

about Thondaradippodi azhwar that his consort was previously Radha and Azhwar

was Krishna. It also says that Radha was Surpanakha in Ramayana. Because

Surpanakha wanted to unite with Lord Rama in Ramayana and failed, she appeared

as Radha in Krishna Leela and attained Him. Anyway, this publication also

mentions in the introduction that some chapters (which include these references)

are considered interpolated.Nevertheless, it is there. But, why such a mention

and is there any pramANa for this?

c) Vedanta Desika in his book YadavAbhyudayam writes (10.71):

dEvakI dhanujasThUNA dhivyam DHAma vrajAngaNam

ramA rADHAdhayScha ithi rASibhEdhairna bhidhyasE

But here she is mentioned to be a baddha jIvAtma as per the commentary by Sri

UttamUr VIrarAghavAcharya ( read in Bhakti list).

But what is Her position? What about the various quotations in the shastras

about her?

dasan

Anand Kidambi

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mr. Anand,I read across an article on this topic some years ago. I found out that the Vadakalai and Thenkalai views were quite different regarding Radha's (Lakshmi's) position.

To quote an excerpt from the original article:

" 2. Regarding the status of Lakshmi (i) as to her being the means (ii) as to her being infinite (iii) as to her being Paramatma.

Vadakalai View(i) She is the means for attaining salvation as much as the Lord Himself and also has the role of a mediator ( Purushakara).

(ii) She is infinite in nature (Vibhu) like the Lord Himself.

(iii) She is also Paramatma as much as the Lord Himself.Thenkalai View

(i) Do not accept this position though they accept her recommendatory role as held by Vadakalais.

(ii) She is atomic in nature like other Jeevatmas.(iii) She is a Jeevatma like any of us. "

I am not sure how much does this answer your question. But i just wanted to share this thought in this forum as it was related to the topic of discussion.

Dasan,Mukundhan Kidambi

2009/1/18 Anan Ran <ranan14

Dear adiyars

I have a question on the position of SrI RAdha. What is the SrI Vaishnava's position with respect to SrI Radha? She is glorified in various PurANas. There are also some sruti reference quoted about her.

a) There is a sannidhi called " Radha-Rukmini Krishna " right opposite Thayar sannidhi in Sri Rangam. How did this happen & when did this happen?

b) The Prapannamrita Tarpana ( Vol 2- Sri vaishnava Sri) mentions when talking about Thondaradippodi azhwar that his consort was previously Radha and Azhwar was Krishna. It also says that Radha was Surpanakha in Ramayana. Because Surpanakha wanted to unite with Lord Rama in Ramayana and failed, she appeared as Radha in Krishna Leela and attained Him. Anyway, this publication also mentions in the introduction that some chapters (which include these references) are considered interpolated.Nevertheless, it is there. But, why such a mention and is there any pramANa for this?

But here she is mentioned to be a baddha jIvAtma as per the commentary by Sri UttamUr VIrarAghavAcharya ( read in Bhakti list).

But what is Her position? What about the various quotations in the shastras about her?

dasan

Anand Kidambi

Sri:Srimathe Ramanujaya NamahaSrimath Varavara Munaye NamahaDear Sri.Mukundan KidambiKindly point us to the source article you are referring to. Unless this 'article' is written by a true scholar of our Sampradayam (of either school) such articles does not merit any reference, as this will only lead to improper propagation of such a sensitive topic. Here you are equating Radha and Lakshmi. Is this what the article you are referring to is conveying?The 'article' you are referring to states the vadakalai view as a conclusive statement, however, states the thenkalai view as if thenkalais do not follow that concluded statement. This is a wrong representation of either kalai. References to these kind of articles will only lead to confusion. Every line we write

must be supported by Poorvacharya vyakyanams, with out which these articles are meaningless ramblings.adiyenRamanuja dasanSampath Kumar PadmanabanMukundhan Kidambi Vijeyaraghavan <k.mukundhranan14Cc: ramanuja Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 9:11:25 AMRe: [sri ramanuja] Question

Dear Mr. Anand,I read across an article on this topic some years ago. I found out that the Vadakalai and Thenkalai views were quite different regarding Radha's (Lakshmi's) position.

To quote an excerpt from the original article:

"2. Regarding the status of Lakshmi (i) as to her being the means (ii) as to her being infinite (iii) as to her being Paramatma.

Vadakalai View(i) She is the means for attaining salvation as much as the Lord Himself and also has the role of a mediator ( Purushakara) .

(ii) She is infinite in nature (Vibhu) like the Lord Himself.

(iii) She is also Paramatma as much as the Lord Himself.Thenkalai View

(i) Do not accept this position though they accept her recommendatory role as held by Vadakalais.

(ii) She is atomic in nature like other Jeevatmas.(iii) She is a Jeevatma like any of us."

I am not sure how much does this answer your question. But i just wanted to share this thought in this forum as it was related to the topic of discussion.

Dasan,Mukundhan Kidambi

2009/1/18 Anan Ran <ranan14 >

Dear adiyars

I have a question on the position of SrI RAdha. What is the SrI Vaishnava's position with respect to SrI Radha? She is glorified in various PurANas. There are also some sruti reference quoted about her.

a) There is a sannidhi called "Radha-Rukmini Krishna" right opposite Thayar sannidhi in Sri Rangam. How did this happen & when did this happen?

b) The Prapannamrita Tarpana ( Vol 2- Sri vaishnava Sri) mentions when talking about Thondaradippodi azhwar that his consort was previously Radha and Azhwar was Krishna. It also says that Radha was Surpanakha in Ramayana. Because Surpanakha wanted to unite with Lord Rama in Ramayana and failed, she appeared as Radha in Krishna Leela and attained Him. Anyway, this publication also mentions in the introduction that some chapters (which include these references) are considered interpolated. Nevertheless, it is there. But, why such a mention and is there any pramANa for this?

But here she is mentioned to be a baddha jIvAtma as per the commentary by Sri UttamUr VIrarAghavAcharya ( read in Bhakti list).

But what is Her position? What about the various quotations in the shastras about her?

dasan

Anand Kidambi