IndiaDivine.org

some thoughts on Gajendra Moksham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hari Om !

Well, eventhough the intention of Gajendran to enter the waters was to pluck flower for Lord Sriman Narayana ! His Bhakti was unparallel but the moment crocodile caught his leg,he thought of fighting his way out & so he did all he could to win over the situation, which shows his dependence on his strength,buthi, & ego etc, wherein he failed to remember the Lord immediately. When he was ultimately loosing, he remembered the lord and totally surrendered to him and he was saved. Period 1000 yrs refers to differennt Yuga's period.

The elephant here symbolises, the Big " I " which we carry in our selves, in every action of our life, which need to be brought down and total Saranagathi is to be realised ! That is the Goal.. Rest He will take care. Our earnest effort should be towards that Goal ! We don't have to be worried about the results etc, since you have surrendered, it is no more your responsibility.. But again as said in Sri Gita, we have to live out our life unattached..to the material things & remember the Lord.

The same situation u can find Mahabharath in Darupathi vastrabaranam, where she was she was saved by Lord Krishna, when she totally surrendered to him. Another interesting fact is if you see Lord Guruvayur Appan picture,u can notice Lord Vishnu holding, Lotus flower in his right hand, wherein he is giving out a message that he is ready to grace moksham to Bhakta's with pure bakthi ...like Gajendran..

Hari Om

Namaskar/Chandar--- On Mon, 2/16/09, kamini1956 <kamini1956 wrote:

kamini1956 <kamini1956[sri ramanuja] Query!!ramanuja Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 2:31 PM

Swamins!Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan!!!Recently i was hearing To u.Ve.Velukkudi Swami's upanyasam.That was Gajendra moksham episode in which he said that Gajendran had to fight for 1000yrs before he was saved.The moment he called out Adimulame god did not delay a moment to save him.Now my question is does one has to wait so long to be saved?Secondly does god come only on calling,are not the intetion and devotion enough to be helped?Or does he wait for us to surrender completely to be saved?That means no trials from our side at all is it so?These r my genuine doubts.I am still at my nascent level of vaishnavism. So do help me.Awaiting with bated breathKamini

Kamini,

Great question that has stimulated several responses. I have a further query

that arises from this discussion. Like you, I too am a nascent Sri Vaishnavite,

so my question though naive, is sincere.

Reading the responses from the group members, I am somewhat conflicted in this

scenario when I think about the Lord's directive in Bhagavad Gita that advocates

" Intensive action in the midst of eternal calmness and vice versa " . The lord

tells Arjuna to do his duty, come what may. Suppose I am trying to cross a

railway track and my foot gets stuck in the tracks, is the immediate response to

try and extricate my foot, or should I not panic and just surrender saying " God

will find a way " .  The answer seems that I should keep my faith in God, and

still make all efforts to try and extricate my foot from the track. This would

seem like the right thing to do. Similarly, Gajendra tried to do what he could

to overcome the crocodile. Finding no success, he surrendered ultimately.

Fighting for one's life is part of one's duty. In this case, Gajendra's duty and

insinctive response was to try and protect his life! One might say that his

actions were very much in line with the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, and

should probably commend him for doing this. He took all efforts and fought with

the crocodile, be it 1000 years! The Gita advocates action and says " Inaction is

not an option " .

However, Krishna also states in the Gita " Sarva Dharmaan Parityajya Maam Ekam

Saranam Vraja " . I Interpret this as " having exhausted all dharmas " (in this

situation fighting with the crocodile for several years) surrender to me alone.

I would be interested to know if Gajendra's actions were indeed the right and

expected one. I would like to think that one should make all possible efforts to

deal with the problem, and then surrender to the lord.

How can we attribute Gajendra's observance of his duty and making efforts to

deal with the situation at hand, as " ego " ?  Are his actions not in keeping with

the teachings of the Gita?

Giridhar

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, rajan chandar <chandar58 wrote:

rajan chandar <chandar58

Re: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Moksham

ramanuja

Monday, February 16, 2009, 6:37 AM

Hari Om !

Well, eventhough the intention of Gajendran to enter the waters was  to pluck

flower for Lord Sriman Narayana ! His Bhakti was unparallel but the moment

crocodile caught his leg,he thought of fighting his way out & so he did all he

could to win over the situation, which shows his dependence on his

strength,buthi, & ego etc, wherein he failed to remember the Lord immediately.

When he was ultimately loosing, he remembered the lord and totally surrendered

to him and he was saved. Period 1000 yrs refers to differennt Yuga's period.

The elephant here symbolises, the Big " I " which we carry in our selves, in

every action of our life, which need to be brought down and total Saranagathi is

to be realised ! That is the Goal.. Rest He will take care. Our earnest effort

should be towards that Goal ! We don't have to be worried about the results etc,

since you have surrendered, it is no more your responsibility. . But again as

said in Sri Gita, we have to live out our life unattached.. to the material

things & remember the Lord.

The same situation u can find Mahabharath in Darupathi vastrabaranam, where she

was she was saved by Lord Krishna, when she totally surrendered to him. Another

interesting fact is if you see Lord Guruvayur Appan picture,u can notice Lord

Vishnu holding, Lotus flower in his right hand, wherein he is giving out a

message that he is ready to grace moksham to Bhakta's with pure bakthi ...like

Gajendran..

Hari Om

Namaskar/Chandar

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, kamini1956 <kamini1956 > wrote:

kamini1956 <kamini1956 >

[sri ramanuja] Query!!

ramanuja@ s.com

Monday, February 16, 2009, 2:31 PM

Swamins!

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan!!!

Recently i was hearing To u.Ve.Velukkudi Swami's upanyasam.That was

Gajendra moksham episode in which he said that Gajendran had to fight

for 1000yrs before he was saved.The moment he called out Adimulame god

did not delay a moment to save him.

Now my question is does one has to wait so long to be saved?Secondly

does god come only on calling,are not the intetion and devotion enough

to be helped?Or does he wait for us to surrender completely to be saved?

That means no trials from our side at all is it so?

These r my genuine doubts.I am still at my nascent level of

vaishnavism. So do help me.

Awaiting with bated breath

Kamini

Thank u very much for enlightening me.Yeah i was confused about the karma theory too.But as poited out by u we should do our karma with out thinking that i am doing the same.

Thanks again.

Kamini--- On Mon, 16/2/09, rajan chandar <chandar58 wrote:

rajan chandar <chandar58Re: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Mokshamramanuja Date: Monday, 16 February, 2009, 6:07 PM

Hari Om !

Well, eventhough the intention of Gajendran to enter the waters was to pluck flower for Lord Sriman Narayana ! His Bhakti was unparallel but the moment crocodile caught his leg,he thought of fighting his way out & so he did all he could to win over the situation, which shows his dependence on his strength,buthi, & ego etc, wherein he failed to remember the Lord immediately. When he was ultimately loosing, he remembered the lord and totally surrendered to him and he was saved. Period 1000 yrs refers to differennt Yuga's period.

The elephant here symbolises, the Big " I " which we carry in our selves, in every action of our life, which need to be brought down and total Saranagathi is to be realised ! That is the Goal.. Rest He will take care. Our earnest effort should be towards that Goal ! We don't have to be worried about the results etc, since you have surrendered, it is no more your responsibility. . But again as said in Sri Gita, we have to live out our life unattached.. to the material things & remember the Lord.

The same situation u can find Mahabharath in Darupathi vastrabaranam, where she was she was saved by Lord Krishna, when she totally surrendered to him. Another interesting fact is if you see Lord Guruvayur Appan picture,u can notice Lord Vishnu holding, Lotus flower in his right hand, wherein he is giving out a message that he is ready to grace moksham to Bhakta's with pure bakthi ...like Gajendran..

Hari Om

Namaskar/Chandar--- On Mon, 2/16/09, kamini1956 <kamini1956 > wrote:

kamini1956 <kamini1956 >[sri ramanuja] Query!!ramanuja@ s.comMonday, February 16, 2009, 2:31 PM

Swamins!Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan!!!Recently i was hearing To u.Ve..Velukkudi Swami's upanyasam.That was Gajendra moksham episode in which he said that Gajendran had to fight for 1000yrs before he was saved.The moment he called out Adimulame god did not delay a moment to save him..Now my question is does one has to wait so long to be saved?Secondly does god come only on calling,are not the intetion and devotion enough to be helped?Or does he wait for us to surrender completely to be saved?That means no trials from our side at all is it so?These r my genuine doubts.I am still at my nascent level of vaishnavism. So do help me.Awaiting with bated breathKamini

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

First regarding charama slokam.

if we exahaust all the methods and then go to Him, then there is no need for the temr 'paridhyajya'. It does not mean shedding. It is forced leaving the other means.

Further, if each start interpreting to theri will and wish, ti will lead to chaos.

There are vyAkyAnams and the guides for Bhagwad GITA. These are to be followed.

Do your duty is 'karma yOgam' Shed all other means is 'Charma slOkam'.

We are talking in the context of pratti read wit Charma slOkam and not karma yogam.

karma YOgam is a different means and charma slOkam - It i s He who is the means.

therefore definitely both cannot go together.

MOreover, Sri PiLLai lOkAchAryAr has given the essence of Charma slOkam in MumUkshuppadi.

Second, as seen before, GajendrAzvAn in fact was not bothered about his llife. A careful reading of the VyAkyAnam -for thohzum kAdhal kaLiRu - would reveal this.

He desired to worhip the Lord with the flower and this misery was removed by the Lord.

Anaiyin nenjidar thIrtha pirAn

Anaiyun thuyaram thIrap puL vUrndhu.

What is the misery of this elephant. This elephant wanted to worhsip the Lord and was not much bothered about his life.

As per Charma slOkam , if we resort to other means, then other means then we cannot also resort to prappti.

Both cannot go together.

This is what we understand from AZvAr-s pAsuram-s and SrivachanaBhUshanam.

The question is not why GajendrAzvAn tried by himself but why did not Almighty come earlier and it i think it has been answered in the messages.

dasan

vanamamalai padmanabhan

-

giridhar tirucherai

ramanuja

Monday, February 16, 2009 8:08 PM

Kamini,Great question that has stimulated several responses. I have a further query that arises from this discussion. Like you, I too am a nascent Sri Vaishnavite, so my question though naive, is sincere.Reading the responses from the group members, I am somewhat conflicted in this scenario when I think about the Lord's directive in Bhagavad Gita that advocates "Intensive action in the midst of eternal calmness and vice versa". The lord tells Arjuna to do his duty, come what may. Suppose I am trying to cross a railway track and my foot gets stuck in the tracks, is the immediate response to try and extricate my foot, or should I not panic and just surrender saying "God will find a way". The answer seems that I should keep my faith in God, and still make all efforts to try and extricate my foot from the track. This would seem like the right thing to do. Similarly, Gajendra tried to do what he could to overcome the crocodile. Finding no success, he surrendered ultimately.Fighting for one's life is part of one's duty. In this case, Gajendra's duty and insinctive response was to try and protect his life! One might say that his actions were very much in line with the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, and should probably commend him for doing this. He took all efforts and fought with the crocodile, be it 1000 years! The Gita advocates action and says "Inaction is not an option".However, Krishna also states in the Gita "Sarva Dharmaan Parityajya Maam Ekam Saranam Vraja". I Interpret this as "having exhausted all dharmas" (in this situation fighting with the crocodile for several years) surrender to me alone. I would be interested to know if Gajendra's actions were indeed the right and expected one. I would like to think that one should make all possible efforts to deal with the problem, and then surrender to the lord.How can we attribute Gajendra's observance of his duty and making efforts to deal with the situation at hand, as "ego"? Are his actions not in keeping with the teachings of the Gita?Giridhar--- On Mon, 2/16/09, rajan chandar <chandar58 > wrote:rajan chandar <chandar58 >Re: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Mokshamramanuja Date: Monday, February 16, 2009, 6:37 AMHari Om ! Well, eventhough the intention of Gajendran to enter the waters was to pluck flower for Lord Sriman Narayana ! His Bhakti was unparallel but the moment crocodile caught his leg,he thought of fighting his way out & so he did all he could to win over the situation, which shows his dependence on his strength,buthi, & ego etc, wherein he failed to remember the Lord immediately. When he was ultimately loosing, he remembered the lord and totally surrendered to him and he was saved. Period 1000 yrs refers to differennt Yuga's period.The elephant here symbolises, the Big " I " which we carry in our selves, in every action of our life, which need to be brought down and total Saranagathi is to be realised ! That is the Goal.. Rest He will take care. Our earnest effort should be towards that Goal ! We don't have to be worried about the results etc, since you have surrendered, it is no more your responsibility. . But again as said in Sri Gita, we have to live out our life unattached.. to the material things & remember the Lord. The same situation u can find Mahabharath in Darupathi vastrabaranam, where she was she was saved by Lord Krishna, when she totally surrendered to him. Another interesting fact is if you see Lord Guruvayur Appan picture,u can notice Lord Vishnu holding, Lotus flower in his right hand, wherein he is giving out a message that he is ready to grace moksham to Bhakta's with pure bakthi ...like Gajendran.. Hari OmNamaskar/Chandar--- On Mon, 2/16/09, kamini1956 <kamini1956 > wrote:kamini1956 <kamini1956 >[sri ramanuja] Query!!ramanuja@ s.comMonday, February 16, 2009, 2:31 PMSwamins!Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan!!!Recently i was hearing To u.Ve.Velukkudi Swami's upanyasam.That was Gajendra moksham episode in which he said that Gajendran had to fight for 1000yrs before he was saved.The moment he called out Adimulame god did not delay a moment to save him.Now my question is does one has to wait so long to be saved?Secondly does god come only on calling,are not the intetion and devotion enough to be helped?Or does he wait for us to surrender completely to be saved?That means no trials from our side at all is it so?These r my genuine doubts.I am still at my nascent level of vaishnavism. So do help me.Awaiting with bated breathKamini

My humble pranaams to all the bhagavtaas. I am only an aspiring Vaishnava & I have had no formal training.The first thing Adiyen learnt was to not interpret on our own. It is not adiyen's intention to pin-point nor is adiyen qualified, but the aim was to share some of my points to a 'peer' in spiritual progress.The below are adiyen's thoughts. Please do correct whereever they are wrong.Also, Draupadi, Arjuna, et all are pure and very senior devotees of the Lord. They are instruments of the Lord. They were able to surrender unconditionally. Can one imagine the surrender of Draupadi!? We cannot imitate them. But atleast we can atleast learn and follow the principles. I am lead to think they were given such

extreme tests so that we learn from their experiences.We build dams, earth-quake proof homes, get insurance, etc. We are at fault if we think our measures, efforts and planning would save us. A small bacteria can humble us with infection. We can take these measures, but the least we can do is keep the Lord in our mind all the while. If we subtract the god-consciousness from such activities, what would be left is an act of passion (raajasic) or ignorance (taamasic).I think the first step we (the beginner Vaishnava like yours truly) can take is to have the name of Perumaal in our lips and minds and proceed to perform our action & accept the consequences as divine arragement.namO nArAyanAya!Adiyen ramanuja dasan,Sriramgiridhar tirucherai <gtirucherairamanuja Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 8:08:23 PMRe: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Moksham

Kamini,

Great question that has stimulated several responses. I have a further query that arises from this discussion. Like you, I too am a nascent Sri Vaishnavite, so my question though naive, is sincere.

Reading the responses from the group members, I am somewhat conflicted in this scenario when I think about the Lord's directive in Bhagavad Gita that advocates "Intensive action in the midst of eternal calmness and vice versa". The lord tells Arjuna to do his duty, come what may. Suppose I am trying to cross a railway track and my foot gets stuck in the tracks, is the immediate response to try and extricate my foot, or should I not panic and just surrender saying "God will find a way". The answer seems that I should keep my faith in God, and still make all efforts to try and extricate my foot from the track. This would seem like the right thing to do. Similarly, Gajendra tried to do what he could to overcome the crocodile. Finding no success, he surrendered ultimately.

Fighting for one's life is part of one's duty. In this case, Gajendra's duty and insinctive response was to try and protect his life! One might say that his actions were very much in line with the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, and should probably commend him for doing this. He took all efforts and fought with the crocodile, be it 1000 years! The Gita advocates action and says "Inaction is not an option".

However, Krishna also states in the Gita "Sarva Dharmaan Parityajya Maam Ekam Saranam Vraja". I Interpret this as "having exhausted all dharmas" (in this situation fighting with the crocodile for several years) surrender to me alone.

I would be interested to know if Gajendra's actions were indeed the right and expected one. I would like to think that one should make all possible efforts to deal with the problem, and then surrender to the lord.

How can we attribute Gajendra's observance of his duty and making efforts to deal with the situation at hand, as "ego"? Are his actions not in keeping with the teachings of the Gita?

Giridhar

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, rajan chandar <chandar58 > wrote:

rajan chandar <chandar58 >

ramanuja@ s.com

Monday, February 16, 2009, 6:37 AM

Hari Om !

The elephant here symbolises, the Big " I " which we carry in our selves, in every action of our life, which need to be brought down and total Saranagathi is to be realised ! That is the Goal.. Rest He will take care. Our earnest effort should be towards that Goal ! We don't have to be worried about the results etc, since you have surrendered, it is no more your responsibility. . But again as said in Sri Gita, we have to live out our life unattached.. to the material things & remember the Lord.

Hari Om

Namaskar/Chandar

--- On Mon, 2/16/09, kamini1956 <kamini1956> wrote:

kamini1956 <kamini1956>

[sri ramanuja] Query!!

ramanuja@ s.com

Monday, February 16, 2009, 2:31 PM

Swamins!

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan!!!

Recently i was hearing To u.Ve.Velukkudi Swami's upanyasam.That was

Gajendra moksham episode in which he said that Gajendran had to fight

for 1000yrs before he was saved.The moment he called out Adimulame god

did not delay a moment to save him.

Now my question is does one has to wait so long to be saved?Secondly

does god come only on calling,are not the intetion and devotion enough

to be helped?Or does he wait for us to surrender completely to be saved?

That means no trials from our side at all is it so?

These r my genuine doubts.I am still at my nascent level of

vaishnavism. So do help me.

Awaiting with bated breath

Kamini

Pranam!!

I too had the same feeling.Don't u think bhagavat geetha and Sharanagathi have some conflict some where.But what i gather now is even when one is trying to fend for oneself should think that though the karma is mine the ultimate result will be decided by the Lord.But again here what i thought was since we r humans we r able to understand this and some time or the other r able to realise but what happens to lesser mortals.Every body is not like Gajendra.Thats what i was thinking.

Kamini--- On Tue, 17/2/09, sriram aravamuthan <vidusri2 wrote:

sriram aravamuthan <vidusri2Re: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Mokshamramanuja Date: Tuesday, 17 February, 2009, 12:20 PM

My humble pranaams to all the bhagavtaas. I am only an aspiring Vaishnava & I have had no formal training.The first thing Adiyen learnt was to not interpret on our own. It is not adiyen's intention to pin-point nor is adiyen qualified, but the aim was to share some of my points to a 'peer' in spiritual progress.The below are adiyen's thoughts. Please do correct whereever they are wrong.Also, Draupadi, Arjuna, et all are pure and very senior devotees of the Lord. They are instruments of the Lord. They were able to surrender unconditionally. Can one imagine the surrender of Draupadi!? We cannot imitate them. But atleast we can atleast learn and follow the principles. I am lead to think they were given such extreme tests so that we learn from their experiences.We build dams, earth-quake proof homes, get insurance, etc. We are at fault if we think our

measures, efforts and planning would save us. A small bacteria can humble us with infection. We can take these measures, but the least we can do is keep the Lord in our mind all the while. If we subtract the god-consciousness from such activities, what would be left is an act of passion (raajasic) or ignorance (taamasic).I think the first step we (the beginner Vaishnava like yours truly) can take is to have the name of Perumaal in our lips and minds and proceed to perform our action & accept the consequences as divine arragement.namO nArAyanAya!Adiyen ramanuja dasan,Sriram

giridhar tirucherai <gtirucherai@ >ramanuja@ s.comMonday, February 16, 2009 8:08:23 PMRe: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Moksham

Kamini,Great question that has stimulated several responses. I have a further query that arises from this discussion. Like you, I too am a nascent Sri Vaishnavite, so my question though naive, is sincere.Reading the responses from the group members, I am somewhat conflicted in this scenario when I think about the Lord's directive in Bhagavad Gita that advocates "Intensive action in the midst of eternal calmness and vice versa". The lord tells Arjuna to do his duty, come what may. Suppose I am trying to cross a railway track and my foot gets stuck in the tracks, is the immediate response to try and extricate my foot, or should I not panic and just surrender saying "God will find a way". The answer seems that I should keep my faith in God, and still make all efforts to try and extricate my foot from the track. This would seem like the right thing to do. Similarly, Gajendra tried to do what he could to overcome the crocodile.

Finding no success, he surrendered ultimately.Fighting for one's life is part of one's duty. In this case, Gajendra's duty and insinctive response was to try and protect his life! One might say that his actions were very much in line with the teachings of the Bhagavad Gita, and should probably commend him for doing this. He took all efforts and fought with the crocodile, be it 1000 years! The Gita advocates action and says "Inaction is not an option".However, Krishna also states in the Gita "Sarva Dharmaan Parityajya Maam Ekam Saranam Vraja". I Interpret this as "having exhausted all dharmas" (in this situation fighting with the crocodile for several years) surrender to me alone. I would be interested to know if Gajendra's actions were indeed the right and expected one. I would like to think that one should make all possible efforts to deal with the problem, and then surrender to the lord.How can we attribute Gajendra's

observance of his duty and making efforts to deal with the situation at hand, as "ego"? Are his actions not in keeping with the teachings of the Gita?Giridhar--- On Mon, 2/16/09, rajan chandar <chandar58 > wrote:rajan chandar <chandar58 >Re: [sri ramanuja] some thoughts on Gajendra Mokshamramanuja@ s.comMonday, February 16, 2009, 6:37 AMHari Om ! Well, eventhough the intention of Gajendran to enter the waters was to pluck flower for Lord Sriman Narayana ! His Bhakti was unparallel but the moment crocodile caught his leg,he thought of fighting his way out & so he did all he could to win over the situation,

which shows his dependence on his strength,buthi, & ego etc, wherein he failed to remember the Lord immediately. When he was ultimately loosing, he remembered the lord and totally surrendered to him and he was saved. Period 1000 yrs refers to differennt Yuga's period.The elephant here symbolises, the Big " I " which we carry in our selves, in every action of our life, which need to be brought down and total Saranagathi is to be realised ! That is the Goal.. Rest He will take care. Our earnest effort should be towards that Goal ! We don't have to be worried about the results etc, since you have surrendered, it is no more your responsibility. . But again as said in Sri Gita, we have to live out our life unattached.. to the material things & remember the Lord. The same situation u can find Mahabharath in Darupathi vastrabaranam, where she was she was saved by Lord Krishna, when she totally surrendered to him. Another interesting fact is if

you see Lord Guruvayur Appan picture,u can notice Lord Vishnu holding, Lotus flower in his right hand, wherein he is giving out a message that he is ready to grace moksham to Bhakta's with pure bakthi ...like Gajendran.. Hari OmNamaskar/Chandar--- On Mon, 2/16/09, kamini1956 <kamini1956> wrote:kamini1956 <kamini1956>[sri ramanuja] Query!!ramanuja@ s.comMonday, February 16, 2009, 2:31 PMSwamins!Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan!!!Recently i was hearing To u.Ve.Velukkudi Swami's upanyasam.That was Gajendra moksham episode in which he said that Gajendran had to fight for 1000yrs before he was saved.The moment he called out Adimulame god did not delay a moment to save him.Now my question is does one has to wait so long to be saved?Secondly does god come only on

calling,are not the intetion and devotion enough to be helped?Or does he wait for us to surrender completely to be saved?That means no trials from our side at all is it so?These r my genuine doubts.I am still at my nascent level of vaishnavism. So do help me.Awaiting with bated breathKamini

Check out the all-new Messenger 9.0!