IndiaDivine.org

THIRUPPAVAI 15

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear BAghavathas,

Adiyen have come across a simple but superb article. Just forwarding this.

Dhanyosmin

Adiyen Ramanuja DASAN

Rajagopalan

15. ellE iLaNGkiLiyE Simple Word for Word meanings ellE iLaNG kiLiyE! innam uRaNGkuthiyO! What Surpise! young (beautiful) parrot (you are) still sleeping

cillenRu azhaiyEn min naNGkaimIr pOth arukinREn Chilly (harsh) words Don't call me (with such a) mind Hey girls in little while I am coming

vallai un katturaikaL paNtE un vaay aRithum smart (are) your stories since long time (from) your (own) mouth we know about

vallIrkaL nINGkaLE naanE thaan aayituka Smart ones you (all) are I (only) am the loser

ollai nI pOthaay unakk enna vERu utaiyai Quickly you start For you what other job (is there)?

ellaarum pOn^thaarO pOn^thaar pOn^thu eNNikkoL All (who) are going (have they gone?) (Yes) They have gone go out (and) count for yourselves

vall aanai konRaanai maaRRaarai maaRR azhikka

Powerful elephant (he who) killed (he who in) war enemies destroyed

vall aanai maayanaip paatu Powerful elephant Lord Maayan (let us) sing (His praise)

El Or empaavaay

Come (Let us do) (the penance of) paavai nOmbu

Translation By Dr. V.K.S.N. Raghavan

(In the group of the awakening songs of ten maidens , namely pasasurams (6-15) ,this paasuram is the last one and is set in the form of conversation between the maidens at the the threshhold of a house and the God-intoxicated maiden inside the house.

{ The girls at the threshold }: Hello! young parrot-like damsel! are you fast asleep even now ?(The maiden within answers): Do n't be harsh(lit. chilly) in calling me ; Oh girls of higher strand ! just now I am coming.{ The group outside}: You can talk well.; we know it ( skill in speech)already.( The girl inside): As it is , you (all) are strong (in wordy combat); does no't matter,let me the one (in harsh speech); (my apologies to you for my harshness).(The group outside): Come quickly and join us.with whom else are you so engaged (being separated form us)?( The girl inside): Have all (our friends) come already ?( The girls outside): Oh Yes.they have come. May You come out and take the roll call (lit.count for yourself). We would like to hear you sing in praise of our Lord , who vanquished the unassailable elephant ( Kuvalayaapeedam, the court elephant of Kamsan)and who is highly powerful in destroying the

enimity pertaining to His enemies.