IndiaDivine.org

SRI - Kaimkarya Rathnam - SRJ Celebrations 2007

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Srimathe Sri Ramanujaya Namaha |

SRI RAMANUJA MISSION, INC.

OF SRIRANGAM SRIMATH ANDAVAN ASHRAMAM (SRI)

Sri Ramanuja Jayanthi Celebrations 2007

Annual Award Announcement "Kaimkarya Rathnam"

Dear Bhagavathas,

With the onset of the month long celebrations of Sri Ramanuja Jayanthi (which falls on Chithirai, Adhirai – Sunday, April 22, 2007) by Sri Ramanuja Mission, Inc. of Srirangam Srimath Andavan Ashramam (SRI), it is time to remember, thank, and honor someone who has dedicated his time, energy, and life to promote the awareness of Sri Ramanuja Siddhantham outside India.

According to SriVaishnava philosophy, individual soul attains Paramapadham (Vaikuntam) by surrendering to Sriman Narayana through a Sadacharya.

Until the soul is liberated from this world, we can experience the bliss of Vaikuntam in one of the foremost Divya Desams – Sri Rangam, known as Bhoologa Vaikuntam. This is the only Divya Kshetram celebrated by all 12 Azhwars, Sri Ramanujacharya, and also by Sri Shankaracharya and Sri Madhavacharya. Among the numerous verses glorifying the importance of SriRangam, the following are well-known:

ghushyate yasya nagare ranga-yAtrA dinE-dinE |

tamaham SirasA vandE rAjAnAm kulaSEkharam ||

(Mukuntha Malai by Sri Kulashekara Azhwar)

Srimanna Sriranga Sriyamanubhadravaamanudinam samvarthayaaSrimanna Sriranga Sriyamanubhadravaamanudinam samvarthayaa

(by Sri Ramanujacharya – recited daily as part of Satrumurai)

Until 1998, the only way for bhagavathas in the US to experience Bhoologa Vaikuntam was to visit Sri Rangam. However, someone felt the need to extend the benefit of experiencing Sri Rangam here in the US and worked tirelessly by dedicating his entire life and resources to make this dream come true. This individual was single-handedly responsible for planning, massive fund-raising, reaching out to the bhagavatha community throughout the US, and traveling 14 hours between work and temple for over three years to oversee the temple construction and sustain religious activities. Thanks to his tireless efforts and Acharya anugraham, today we have a prestigious DEBT-FREE Sri Ranganatha Temple at Pomona, New York truly representing Sri Ramanuja Siddhantam and its values. The mention of Sri Ranganatha Temple brings to mind the towering personality of Sri Venkat Kanumalla Swamin.

Sri Ramanuja Mission, Inc. of Srirangam Srimath Andavan Ashramam (SRI) is extremely pleased to honor the lifetime accomplishment and services of Sri Venkat Kanumalla in nurturing Sri Ramanuja philosophy outside India by conferring upon him the title of “Kainkaryam Rathnam.”

Besides his service to Sriman Narayana, his urge for bhagavatha kainkaryam does not go unnoticed when one visits the temple. His love and hospitality has touched all devotees every time.

The unquestionable faith Sri Venkat Kanumalla has in Sri Ramanuja Siddhantham is reflected in the mission statement of Sri Ranganatha Temple – a simple, single sentence which reads, “Absolute surrender to Sriman Narayana.”

This title carries with it an honorary plaque and blessings from HH Sri Rangaramanuja Mahadesikan and will be presented during Sri Ramanuja Jayanthi celebrations at SSVT, MD, on Sunday, April 29th in the presence of Udayavar, Sri Venugopala Perumal, Sri Nrusimha Sudharshana Chakrath Azhwar, Purvacharya Padukas and fellow bhagavathas with full honor. SRI president Sri Poondi Vijayaraghavan will be presenting the award.

We request fellow bhagavathas to join us in honoring Sri Venkat Kanumalla Swami and in praying to Sri Ranganatha Divya Dampathi and Purvacharya Padukas to bestow upon him and his family a long life and continued service in the years to come.

Nadadur Mathavan

Secretary, SRI

Sri Venkat Kanumalla has a PhD in Experimental Nuclear Physics and is currently working as a Physicist at Holy Family Hospital in Methuen, Massachusetts.

We asked him a few questions about his influences, personal experiences with HH 44th and HH 45th Jeer of Sri Ahobila Mutt, the challenges he faced in temple construction, and the award. Herein we present the excerpts from that conversation:

Q: Tell us about your parents and any of their influence you can recall.

SVK: Mother’s name is: Smt. Varalakshmi, Father: Vaikuntha-Vasi: Sriman Simhadri, a great Sri Lakshmi-Nrusimha UpAsaka. Adiyen only son

and has 4 sisters. I was greatly influenced by my father, who taught only two scriptures: Bhagavad-Gita and Srimad Bhagavatam ( A to Z about Saranagati ) and initiated Sri Lakshmi-Nrusimha PrANa-Mantra Upadesam to me.

Q: Can you recall when and where you met HH 44th Azagiya Singar?

SVK: My first meeting with HH 44th Jeer was in 1984 for SamAsrayanam & Prapatti. HH 44th Jeer's Special instruction to me was - ONLY two lines from Divya-Prabandham: one from Thiruppavai - " unakkEEEEEEEEEE nAmAtcheyvom " and second " en amudhanai kanda kangal matrondinai kAnAve " and told me VERY STRICTLY that these are the ONLY two lines adiyen has to by-heart and can NEVER forget, and that my Vaikuntha-prApti is gauranteed.

HH other instruction to adiyen is: even if someone studied all the FOUR Vedas and / or also all the 4000 pAsurams, BUT do not verbatim follow the above two lines and resort to anya-Devata pooja or even visiting those anya-devata functions or even nava-graha poojas or japams etc.., that devotee is JUST like a FROG making noise in the rainy season, BUT that someone will NEVER get Moksham and that is all my upadesam.

Some additional questions regarding temple construction posed by HH to adiyen are:

1: do you have the GUTS to stick ONLY to Sriman Narayana ??

2: Can you withstand the criticism you will face, not even from other avaishnavas orsmarthas or non-devotees etc.., BUT even from the so-called supposed to be vaishnavas who are currently resorting to Pillayar, nava-grahas, etc..

3: Can you withstand accusations, character-assassinations, calling you names etc.. "

4: say good-bye to all your old habits and old relationships with non-vaishnavas, even if they are your own father, mother, sister, wife, son or daughter etc.. and lead a good-vaishnava life

Finally HH said, Sri-Vaishnavism is NOT for weak fellows, BUT for ONLY those who are STRONG-WILLED and gave me ONLY one verse from Bhagavad-Gita " out of a thousand devotees, only one will try to become a PURE devotee and out of Thousands of devotees trying to become pure-devotees, only one will ultimately reach Lord Sri Krishna - manushyANAm sahasreshu kaschit yatati siddhayet - yathathAmapi siddhAnAm kaschin mAm veti tattvatah "

Regarding 45th Jeer: HH is the mahAtma who blessed adiyen with Sankha-Chakras and taught me and commanded adiyen to do samAsrayanam ONLY.

Regarding other Jeers: adiyen received blessings from HH Srimad Andavan swami, HH sri Poundarikapuram Andavan swami, HH Sri ParakAla Matham Jeer swami and HH Sri Ranga-Priya Swami and HH Andhra Jeer Sri Chinna Jeer Swami.

Q:And how do you feel about this recognition?

SVK: adiyen is over-whelmed with the affection and I do NOT deserve at all.

adiyen is just s servant of Srimad Azhagiyasingar and all credit should go to Him alone.

Adiyen