IndiaDivine.org

History of Sri Venugopala Temple.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

sri:

Dear Bhaktas,

I have below extracted a paragraph from the histroy of Sri Venugopalakrishnaswamy Temple. The entire article will be released on the main website shortly. I herewith again present my humble thanks to the yeoman services of Sri Achutharaman Rangachari and Sri Kambam Deepak of Malleswaram, Bangalore.

>---------------Begin-------------------<

To the south of the Kothara mantapa is the Navaranga (Sthupika) mantapa the entrance of which is flanked by Jaya Vijaya, the celestial door keepers on each side. In front of the Navaranga mantapa is the Shukanashi ( ) and in front of this is the Garbhagudi( sanctum sanctorum). There is a separate garbhagudi each for Rukmini Thayar,Venugopalakrishna Swamy and Nambi Narayanar.Near the entrance of the Shukanashi ,to the left is the deity of Vishwaksenar. On top of this is the deity of Janardhana Swami. On the right is the deity of Kalingamardhana Krishna. In the central Garbhagudi, is the deity of Sri Venugopala Krishna holding the flute in his hands with his left leg on the Balipeetha.This vigraha, brought from Kooram(birth place of Kuresar) (near Kanchipuram) dating back to 997 A.D was being worshipped from the time of the Chola kings.Utsava murtis were also brought from Kooram..It is believed that Sri Ramanuja's disciple Kurath Alwar(Kuresar) resided in Kooram and rendered service to these beautiful utsava murtis of Sri Venugopala Krishna, Rukmini and Satyabhama. The deity of Rukmini Thayar is shown giving her blessings.This deity was brought from the Mysore palace, but belonging orginally to Varadaraja temple of Thenakanaambi.

>----------------End----------------------<