IndiaDivine.org

Why no japam?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear all,

One of the questions we face is why ashtAksharI japam is not prescribed in Thennacharya sampradhayam? Some ritualistic even from among thengalais say "people will become bhrashtas if do not to do any japam" etc.. So some keep chanting without counting number saying that it becomes "japam" only if you count But why no japam is prescribed, even without counting?

Another custom followed in the sampradayam is single prostration to bhAgavatas and the Lord.

Here is an extract from an orkut friend for single namaskaram:

i dont know how many of u know about nampillai. once nampillai was asked about namaskarams how many should u do and when should u dofor that nampillai in his vyakyanm says if we bow once to the lord that is enough ....... because periya perumal only needs our love ,.....when u do namaskarams he feels that ayo this devotee is doing so much....for me ... how am i going to give back to him......and it.

-

Same logic applies to ashtakshari japam. However, I agree that there is no harm in saying it more than once, or even prostrating in multiple. "Not chanting" is not another rigid ritual.

adiyen ramanuja dasan

Vishnu

5, 50, 500, 5000 - Store N number of mails in your inbox.