IndiaDivine.org

Nijamarmamulanu Audio ansd reflections on this Krithi belonging to Amarsha Rosha RoshOkti sanchAri bhAvam

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Sri:

Dear Raama BhakthAs:

UmAbharaNam is a Janya Raagam from the Hari KaambhOji MeLa Raagam . SwamigaL chose this Raagam to bless us with the Kriti: " Nija Marmamulanu delisina vaarini ". This is one of the Kritis made famous by Snageetha Kalaa Nidhi , Madurai MaNi Iyer .

Kriti:

Pallavi :

nija Marmamulanu delisina vaarini nee valayimchE dhE mOkO ?

Anupallavi :

aja gajarakshaka , gaja charmAmBharAdhi gouNa bhEdamula leelA galga jEsina nee

CharaNam:

Sruti Saastra purANa vidhAdhi shaNmata nishtula naamaparAdhula

kshitapatulan kumutulugaa jEsina kshEma ThyAgarAjanuta ! SrI ManOhara ! nee ( nija)

Meaning according to Sri C. Ramanujachari :

" Oh Raama! Why should You harass even those who know the real Truth , viz., that it is You that have created the various minor divine manifestations and set up lilas appropriate to each of them , that it is you that have created the followers of six systems of faith , based upon VedAs , SastrAs and PurANAs , those whose creed is to seek salvation thru the recital of Your name and kings on earth , and that it is You who have made also all these deluded men (to praise these kings for their livelihood)".

( Comments) : ThyagarAja Swamigal is in a mood to complain to the Lord and remonstrates over the Lord's indifference to him . He asks Lord Raamachandra for an explanation as to why He harasses even His nija bhakthAs like himself , who are engaged in ceaseless naama sankeertanam and following all Bhagavath sAstrams . He identifies himself as belonging to the Bhaagavatha ghOshti , who understood clearly that all the semigods (Minor divine manifestations of the Lord) like Indhra , Agni , Aditya ,Vaayu , Rudra , Brahma have been created by Lord Ramachandra and empowered by Him to perform their assigned duties . ThyAgarajA SwamigaL submits further that he recognizes Lord Raamachandra as the creator of the six systems of worship rooted in VedAs and PurANAs : GaaNapatyam , VaishNavam, Saivam , KoumAram , Souryam and Saaktam . ThyagarAja SwamigaL reminds Lord Raamachandra that deluded men seek

moksham from these demi gods and do not relaize that it is Lord Raamachandra alone ,

who has the power to grant them this Parama PurushArtham of Moksha sukham .

In another kriti set in BangaLa rAgam , Saakshi lEdhanuchu saadhimpakE , SwamigaL salutes the Lord as One who is true to His words and a protector of His devotees . He reminds the Lord as being the Witness to all the happenings in the Universe and that it is not fair for Him to ignore a genuine a devotee like himself and people will laugh at Him for abandonig His duties as his protector. He questions the Lord about His power to come to his rescue: " Have You not got abundant powers ? Is not Parasakthi Herself under Your protection ? ". He asks the Lord in a dejected mood as to how it is possible for Him not to recognize his genuine devotion and come to his rescue .

Ina SankarAbharaNa kriti made famous by Sangeetha KalAnidhi Ariyakkudi RaamAnuja IyengAr , Yendhuku peddala valE Bhuddhi yeeyavu, SwamigaL asks : Oh Lord ! Why do not bless me , your true devotee , with real wisdom ? Where am I to go ? I have been crying aloud like the common folk but yet the phalan of worshipping You with true devotion is beyond my reach .

During his mood of remonstrance and anger , SwamigaL will question the Lord's reasons for His obduracy and indifference and ask Him : " If You come and stand before me , will You lose all Your wealth ? I can not pray to other gods for my protection . Why are You sitting there without making a move and still are weighing the pros and cons of rushing to me ? Why do You display such intractability towards me ?

In a Suddha SaavEri kriti , Nee kEvari BhOdhana , Swamigal will press the Lord to reveal who has complained about him , which has led to the Lord being indifferent to him . He will ask his Ishta dhaivam as to Who instigated Him to change His promise to protect him ?

When SwamigaL was in despair over the indifference of Lord Raamachandra , he will be very angry and indignant and will say "Maanumu lEdaa?" . The raagam chose was Hameer -KalyANi , a raagam known for expressing disappointment and anger . In this kriti set in

the mood of amarsha rOsha rOshOkti , Swamigal questions the Lord : " Have You no self-respect ? Have You no interest in Your own people? Such a one like You devoid of attachment can hadly be seen ...When Sugriva spoke to You taunting words , You , with a sense of wounded dignity , made him a king ...".

In the atANaa kriti , anupama guNamBhudhi , he will taunt the Lord this way: " I believed that You are a matchless abode of all auspicious qualities . But , You do not lift me up even a little and show Your grace. ...Enough of Your trickery . Why this duplicity ? ".

In another moving KedaragouLa kriti full of pathos ( " DharmAtma nannipudu dahya joodave yana marmamuna Bhalukunadhi manjidhO " ) . SwamigaL asks here : " Oh Raamaa ! While I am appealing to You as a DHarmAtmA , is it right for You to reply dubiously ? Having earned reputation of being the redeemer of the fallen , is it good on Your part not to relaize duly its implication? When I seek Your protection as a forlorn one, is it proper for You to be unfavorably disposed ? I am guileless and have sought refuge in Your blessed feet . Is it fair that You should find fault with me ? Why vex me with Your trickery ? Is it fair that You should find fault with me ? .

In the rare Naattakkurinji raagam chosen by SwamigaL for the kriti , " Kuvalaya dala nayana" he asks the Lord bluntly :" Oh Lotus-eyed One ! Protect me . Where am I to go? I stand meditating on Your bewitching face and pining ; but You wont look at me . What virtue is this ? Though knowing my mind well , You have forgotten me , but still You pretend to be remembering me . Is it due to fear of Kali age that You don't come down to the earth ? Or is it that You are a God devoid of glory ? " .

In a plaintive cry from his heart , SwamigaL asks in the Naaga GhAndhAri kriti , " Oh Raama Raama SarvOnnata--" , " Oh Supreme One ! Why this deciet ? As the Upanishads proclaim their belief that You alone are God , I placed my faith in You . I believed that Truth abides only in the wise ones. I have been thinking that You are the most precious of relations , that You are the ocean of mercy and that You are unfailing in Your promise ....You have responded to several devotees in response to their prayers . Still , there is delay on Your part to protect ThyagarAja .I can not bear this .Is it Fair ? ".

In the ThOdi Raaga Kriti , Enduku dayarAdurA , Swamigal will get angry at the Lord for His indifference and say : " Oh Raamachandra! Why does not Your grace flow to me ? Have You forgotten me in the bustle of Your glory and splendour ? Or , are You not there? .....This is not the time for delaying. If given up by You , say where is the other refuge for me ? I see no other way for salvation ."

In the Kaapi Raaga kriti , " anyAyamu sEyakurA , Raama " , SwamigaL will be angry over the unfiarness meted out to him by His Lord and say : " Do not treat me like a stranger. Oh King ! You have forgiven many people , who have done innumerable misdeeds .... Do n't

say that it will not be posssible for You to protect me in my middle age from the troubles and tortures of my elder brother ."

In the NaarAyaNa goulai krithi , Inkaa dhaya raakuNDE yentani sairinturA ", this dear Raama BhktA will ask His lord : " After all , is this treatment of me becoming of You ?

To whom can I appeal? Are there any dEvAs here? But will they be equal to You ? I am convinced that You are the Lord ".

In a long kriti in Mohanam with ten charaNams ( Raama Raama Raama Raama yaninanta Raajapu jUpElarA Oh Raama) , This great Raama Bhakta questions the Lord tightly : " Oh

RaamA ! When I approach You with familiarity and call You endearingly Raama-Raama-Raama , why do You accost me withYour royalty ? What life is this ? What existence is this ? I do not know what You are thinking of .... Has my disposition towards You differed much from that of those who served You in the past and whom You regarded as Your own? Have You , after all , decided to decieve me by appearing to protect me and not protecting me and by appearing to see me and not seeing me ? ".

In a SaavEri kriti , " RaamAbhirAama RaghurAma " , Swamigal expresses his indignation to the Lord : " Oh Raama ! Why do You tarry ? Should You show all enimity to me? You wont give up Your tricks . I have not asked for Your wealth . I have no desire for this world, which is full of deciet . Oh Protector of devotees ! I have not any refuge than You . Who is there equal to You in this world ? I am caught in Your net .I can not give up my desire for You . Does it befit You to forget me? To forsake me is a sin. Can You have the mind to do so? Give me Your hand ! Take me across the ocean of samsaAra and give me salvation ".

In a KiraNAvaLi raaga kriti , "Yeti yOcanalu jesedavuraa? " made famous by Sri GNB , Smt MLV and Ms.Raadha-Jayalakshmi , Swamigal will remind the Lord that He is a man of one word and has to uphold His words of protection : " Why do You hesitate to bless me ? There is none to raise His voice against You . Among the crores of DevatAs, You are the most Supreme . You ought not to go back on Your word. Great Rishis say that You , among heroes , would never retract , as You are a man of one word only and as You uphold all the innumerable worlds ".

In a rare kriti in Roopavati rAgam ( nE mOraBhEttitE madhilOna-nee kaayaasa mElarA?" SwamigaL makes out a case for Lord Raamachandran to come to his rescue : " Oh destroyer of sins and inquities of the Kali age! If I break off from the ordinary run of people who seek the company of dregs of society , and appeal to You , why should You get annoyed ? Have I made any penance and asked for a gift ? Have I indulged in any hypocritical talk ? ".

In another rare raaga kriti( Kokiladhvani) " KOniyAdedu naayeda ", Swamigal advances his qualifications for the Lord to come to his rescue : " Why do You still bargain , although I have been , at all times , ceaselessly and devoutly singing in praise of Your blessed life-story and have been genuinely adoring You with unbounded love , enraptured by Your beauty ? You are fully aware that I am not the man to seek other religions or other paths ".

Other expressions of remonstrance over the Lord's indifference are housed in other krithis : (1) BahudhAri kriti ( BhrOva bhArama? ) : Oh Dayaa nidhi ! Is it a heavy burden for You to protect a single soul like me ? (2) Mohana Kriti ( MaaDi MaaDiki dElpavalEna?) : " Should I be repeating my prayers frequently ? Should not one direct appeal be sufficient ? Why this indifference towards one , who has suplicacated to You in the belief that You are unmatched by devAs ? ". (3) Sahaana kriti ( SrI Raama SrI Raama) : " Oh Raama ! It looks like You wont come to my rescue. sometime in future , You may think of protecting me . When, alas? And yet You are reputed to be merciful . Is all this still to be secret ? Is it fair for You ? Pray , treat me well".

Only a paramount devotee can feel comfortable to ask the Lord with such a sense of

rightfulness about the promises made and not kept . The sufferings from viraha taapam are poignantly expressed by the greatest of Raama BhakthAs , ThyAgarAja SwAmigaL

thru these amarsha Rosha RoshOkti kritis cited in this posting .

May we all be cleansed by the soulful cry of a true Raama Bhaktha and recieve the Lord's anugraham !

We will take up Saalaga Bhairavi krithi of Saint ThyagarAja next !

Raama DhAsan , Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan