IndiaDivine.org

Thiruvaimozi-1-4-4

Rate this topic

Guest guest

en neermai kandirangi idhu thagaadhu ennaadha

en neelamugil vaNNaRku en solliyaan sollugEnO

nanneermai ini avarkaN thangaadhenenRoruvaaicchol

nanneelamaganRilgaaL nalgudhirO nalgeerO

What message can I send to the one with the hue of blue cloud, who even after seeing my plight on being separated from him, does not speak words of comfort such as "this is not to be allowed and I will not leave you." You the anRil birds having the same colour as my Lord, will you tell him that my life will not stay anymore if he delays further. Or, will you not?

Seeing that the swans did not seem to budge, the nayaki tries to entreat the birds known as blue anRil, thinking that since they have the same colour of the Lord, He may listen to them. But she is at a loss for words since her plight was well known to Him but He had not taken any steps to redress it. So what else could she say , she wonders. Then she tells the birds to inform Him that if he delays further her life will end.

Neermai- the state in which she was due to separation.

Kandirangi-taking pity on her

Idhu thagaadhu ennaadha- not saying that this state could not be tolerated and comfort her that he will not leave her anymore.

Neelamugiln vannaRku- to the one of dark hue like a rain bearing cloud. The implication is that He looks like a dark cloud but does not behave like one by sending cool showers of comfort.

En solli yaan solluvEn- what can I say to such a person to make Him merciful!

nalneelammaganRirgaaL- she is addressing a special kind of anRil birds blue in colour.

En neermai avarkaN idhu thangaadhu – my state which is such that life will not linger longer.

Enru oru vaai sol nalgudhirO-will you convey these words to Him?

nalgeerO- or will you not?

Seeing that the birds seem to be indifferent she asks them whether they will carry the message or not.

When she was with the Lord He could see that she was suffering with pangs of separation if He move away even for a moment. Hence she says en neermai kandirangi, seeing my state.

Azvar as nayaki first says "what can I tell Him who knows my plight only too well," and then sends a message nevertheless. This is compared to the attitude of the gopis when Krishna sent Balarama to them after he had gone to Mathura. The gopis surrounded Balarama but seeing that Krishna had no intention of coming back said,

aThavaa kim thadhaalaapaiH kriyanthaam aparaaH kaThaaha, "Why should we talk about him let us talk something else. " But their longing for him proved to be stronger and made them exclaim,

apyasou maatharam dhrashtum sakrth api aagamishyathi, "he may come at least once to see his mother perhaps."

Here the anRil birds are supposed to be the acharyas who are similar to the Lord in their mercy towards the devotees and try to unite them with the Lord. They are described as being blue like the cloud showing their mercy which flows towards the world like the rain.