IndiaDivine.org

Sri Tyagaraja Kriti Series: Kriti: cinna nADE Raga: kalAnidhi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

SrI:

SrI raghunandana parabraHmaNe namaH

Kriti: cinna nADE

Raga: kalAnidhi

In the kRti ‘cinna nADE nA ceyi baTTitivE’ – rAga kalAnidhi SrI tyAgarAja describes his agony caused in the absence of grace of the Lord.

Pallavi

cinna nADE nA ceyi paTTitivE

Anupallavi

enna rAni(y)UDigamu gaikoni entO

ninnu pAlanamu cEtun(a)ni (cinna)

Charanam 1

iTTi vELa viDan(A)DudAm(a)nO ElukondAm(a)ni

(y)eJcinAvO teliya guTTu brOvavE suguNa

vAri nidhi goppa daivamA tyAgarAja nuta (cinna)

Gist

O Ocean of virtues! O Excellent Lord! O Lord Praised by this tyAgarAja! Haven’t You held my hand since my child-hood? Accepting my numerous services, haven’t You held my hand since my child-hood stating ‘I shall protect You well’? I do not know as to what You have thought now – whether to abandon me or to govern me. Please protect my honour.

Word-by-word Meaning

P Haven’t You held (paTTitivE) my (nA) hand (ceyi) since my child-hood (cinna nADE)?

A Accepting (gaikoni) my numerous (enna rAni) (literally uncountable) services (UDigamu), haven’t You held my hand since my child-hood stating (ani) ‘I shall protect (pAlanamu cEtunu) (cEtunani) You (ninnu) well (entO) (literally much)’?

C I do not know (teliya) as to what You have thought (eJcinAvO) now (iTTi vELa) (literally this moment) – whether (anO) to abandon me (viDanADudAmu) (literally ‘let’s abandon’) (viDanaDudAmanO) or (ani) to govern me (ElukondAmu) (literally ‘let’s govern’) (ElukondumaniyeJcinAvO); please protect (brOvavE) my honour (guTTu), O Ocean (vAri nidhi) of virtues (suguNa)! O Excellent (goppa) Lord (daivamA)! O Lord Praised (nuta) by this tyAgarAja! Haven’t You held my hand since my child-hood?

Notes ­

A – ninnu – this is how it is given in the book of CR and ATK. However, in the books of TKG and TSV/AKG, this is given as ‘nannu’. ‘ninnu’ is the appropriate word because the subsequent word ‘cEtunani’ (cEtunu + ani). This means ‘I shall protect’. Therefore, the object would be ‘You’ and not ‘me’. (I shall protect You). However, had the ending word been ‘cEtuvani’ (cEtuvu + ani), then ‘nannu’ would have been appropriate (that You shall protect me). As ‘cEtunani’ is given in all the books, ‘ninnu’ is the appropriate word. This needs to be checked. Any suggestions ???

C – ElukondAmani – this is how it is given in the books of CR and ATK. However, in the books of TKG and TSV/AKG, it is given as ‘Elukondumani’. The version given in the book of CR and ATK is appropriate and the same has been adopted. This needs to be checked. Any suggestions ???

Additional Notes by Sri V. Sadagopan:

Kalanidhi raagam is known as one of the 80 or so rAgAs known as Vinta or Vichitra rAgam. It is believed that Vinta rAgam like Kalanidhi were created by Sadhguru SwamigaL created based on the insights gained from the precious text such as SvarArNavam given as a gift to him by Sage NaarAdha. SrimaNi, Suddha Seemanthini, Bhairavam, AabhEri, KalyANa Vasantam,AabhOgi, NaarAyaNi, Garudadhwani, Saraswati et al are some of the other Vinta rAgams created by Sadhguru SwamigaL. They never existed as specific rAgams before Saint ThyAgarAjA’s time.

This kriti has the Madhura bhAvam of a Naayaki overcome by the divine love for the Lord. Many tender feelings are housed in these kritis. Many Paasurams of Azhwars in Naayaki bhAvam are replete with such Madhura BhAvam. Examples of such statements from the group of Naayikaa-Naayaka (Madhura) bhAvam from Saint ThyAgarAjA’s kritis are assembled below:

1) RaamAbirAma RamaNeeya Naama: Darbar Kriti:: Here SwamigaL asks: “ Oh Beautiful Raama ! The maid of my mind is in deep love with You ---- I have provided for You a comfortable bed (in my heart) but You without accepting it and thereby making me happy, are giving me trouble--- What is the merit in doing so? “.

2) Pattividuva Raadhu: Manjari Raagam:: “Having Taken me by the hand, You should not now give me up. From my very birth, You have blessed me with true devotion, taken me over as Yours“.

3) Raama Raama Raamachandra: GhaNDaa Raagam:: “Oh my Lord Raamachandra! When my look and Your look fit in with each other properly, who can know the happiness that I then will derive? – If You do not take me by the hand, my forlorn condition will be no less than that of an unmarried virgin.â€

4) Daya sEyavayaa sadhaya Raamahandra: Raagam Yadhukula KaambhOji:: “Vouchsafe to ThyAgarAja the protection which You by Your deportment conveyed to the audience assembled at the marriage function that You would similarly bless all those who desired You as Sita did“.

5) Cinna naaDE naa cEyi BaDDitivE: Raagam Kalaanidhi:: “You have taken me in Your hand from my early days, made me do service in a large measure and promised protection. I cannot understand Your inner intention in wavering at a time like this whether to give me up or prop me. Pray, do save me, O great God!“.

Kalanidhi is the janya raagam of 22nd MeLa Raagam, Karahara Priyaa. The AarOhaNa /avarOhaNams are:

S R2 G2 M1 S P M1 D2 N2 S/S N2 D2 P M1 G2 R2 S

This Kriti was a favorite of Sangeetha Kalanidhis D.K.JayarAman, D.K.PattammAL and the Flute genius, T.R.Mahaalingam (Maali), Smt Brindha and Mathurai Somu. Thanks to Srimathy Krishna Priya Chari, you will be enjoying the audio renderings of two VidhvAns (Srimans Mathurai Somu and S.Ramanathan).

Raama DhAsan, Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

NOTE: Those who prefer to have a PDF or WORD document copy of this write-up can download either of the format from the following links:

WORD doc:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/word_docs/cinnanADE.doc

PDF:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/pdf/cinnanADE.pdf

AUDIO

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/audio/ChinnaNaadeMaduraiSomu.mp3

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/audio/chinnAnADeSRamanathan.mp3