IndiaDivine.org

Sri Tyagaraja Kriti Series: Kriti: dinamaNi vaMsa Raga:harikAmbhOji

Rate this topic

Guest guest

SrI:

SrI raghunandana parabraHmaNe namaH

Kriti: dinamaNi vaMsa

raaga harikAmbhOji

In the kRti ‘dinamaNi vaMsa’ – rAga harikAmbhOji, srI tyAgarAja pleads with Lord not to play hide and seek with him.

Pallavi:

dina maNi vaMsa tilaka lAvaNya dIna saraNya

Anupallavi:

manavini bAguga madini talancucu

canuvunan(E)lu cAlugA jAlu (dinamaNi)

CaraNam

sarva vinuta nanu saMrakSincanu

garvamu Ela kAcuvAr(e)varE

nir-vikAra guNa nirmala kara dhRta

parvata tyAgarAja sarvasvamau (dinamaNi)

Gist

O The Most Distinguished of the Solar dynasty who is everything to this tyAgarAja! O Most beautiful! O Refuge of the humble! O Lord praised by Lord siva! O Immutable Lord! O Lord beyond three qualities! O Spotless One! O Lord who held the gOvardhana hillock in His hands! Enough of Your deceit; please govern me with love pondering well in Your mind about my appeal; why feel proud in taking care of me? who else is the protector for me?

Word-by-word Meaning

P O The Most Distinguished (tilaka) (literally mark on the forehead) of the Solar (dina maNi) (literally jewel of the day) dynasty (vaMsa)! O Most beautiful (lAvaNya)! O Refuge (saraNya) of the humble (dIna)!

A Please govern (Elu) me with love (canuvunanu) (canuvunanElu) pondering (talancucu) in Your mind (madini) well (bAguga) about my appeal (manavini); enough (cAlugA) of Your deceipt (jAlu); O The Most Distinguished of the Solar dynasty! O Most beautiful! O Refuge of the humble!

C O Lord praised (vinuta) by Lord siva (sarva)! Why (Ela) feel proud (garvamu) in taking care (saMrakSincanu) of me (nanu)? Who (evarE) else is the protector (kAcuvAru) (kAcuvArevarE) for me? O Immutable Lord (nirvikAra)! O Lord beyond (three) qualities (nirguNa)! O Spotless One (nirmala)! O Lord who held (dhRta) the gOvardhana hillock (parvata) in His hands (kara)! O The Most Distinguished of the Solar dynasty who is everything (sarvasvamau) to this tyAgarAja! O Most beautiful! O Refuge of the humble!

Notes –

C – sarva – For the details of names of Lord ziva, see ‘sata rudrIya’ by sage vyAsa – Source - http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m07/m07198.htm

C – nir-vikAra guna – In my humble opinion, the prefix ‘nir’ governs both ‘vikAra’ (nirvikAra) and ‘guNa’ (nirguNa). It has accordingly been translated. This is substantiated by the ensuing word ‘nirmala’; otherwise, the word ‘guNa’ by itself, cannot be properly translated. Any suggestions???

Additional Comments By SrI V. Sadagopan:

This is a dainyOkti krithi (Plaintive Pleading for protection by the Lord). When Lord Raaamachandran does not listen to his soulful pleading, ThyagarAja will articulate his grievance and anger in chosen words such as in the Bhiaravi krithi (IndhukA BhuDDichitivi nannaindhukA BhuDDimchitivi?): “Is it for this that you have created me -for me to toss about and for You to enjoy the fun at my expense?" This kind of protest of the aggrieved devotee for being abandoned by his Protector is known as the amarsha rOsha rOshOkti (ARR). To this group of ARR kritis belongs the UmAbharaNa Kriti of "Nijamarmamulanu" which we will take up in a separate posting.

Now reverting to the DhainyOkti Kritis, they convey the melancholic mood of ThyAgarAja SwamigaL arising from the feeling of neglect and indifference of his Lord and Sarva Swami, Lord Raamachandran. He will become despondent over the Lord's indifference and will feel like a spurned pativrathai and angrily ask the Lord: “parAku jEsina neekEmi phalamu galugurA?" In the pallavi Vaakyam of the JujAvaLi krithi, the upset devotee, ThyAga Brahmam asks: “Oh the Most Supreme! What indeed do you gain by being indifferent to me?". In another kriti set in ReetigowLai raagam (chera rAvadEmirA? Raamayya!), Thyaga Brahmam will ask with a great sense of pathos: “How is it that You do not come to me (anymore)?". It is not proper conduct on Your part. I am like an orphaned girl without any protection clinging to her husband's feet as her sole refuge for protection. I rely on You totally for my samrakashaNam. I am imploring You so many times to protect me and not abandon me. Should you look away as I meditate on Your bewitching face and pine for You?

This kriti has been rendered beautifully by Aalatthur brothers movingly. In a KaambhOji rAga Kriti made famous by SrI T.R. Mahalingam and his sihsyar, SrI N.Ramani, one can resonate to the soulful cry of ThyAga Bhramam, when he questions the Lord tightly and casts his doubts about His power to protect His sincere devotees and claiming the title of Bhakta ParAdheenan: “yevarimADa vinnAvO, raavO-yindhu lEvO? bhaLi! BhaLi!" Meaning: “Oh Lord! To whose words have You listened? Won’t You come (to me)? Or is it that You are not here? Well! Well! Oh Lord! I am dumbfounded at this mystery. Having been brought up in the Vedic and Saastraic traditions, I find it very difficult to understand this mystery and unravel this paradox. All Your dear bhakthAs, who were blessed to have Your saakshAthkAram have asserted that You are forever engaged in the service of Your bhaktAs. I have been feeling happy that You are the sarva saktan who is bhakta parAdheenan and one of saatvic frame of mind and reliable. What am I to think now?â€

The Raagam SankarAbharaNam was often Saint ThyagarAja Swamy's choice to express his sense of desolation at being abandoned by Lord Raamachandra. Three examples of such SankarAbharaNa dhainyOkti krithis are:

1) Yendhukeechalamu "Why are you cross with me, Your dear devotee? To whom am I to appeal to redress the situation? Where has Your legendary forbearance gone? "taaLa naa taramaa?" (It is not possible for me to bear this suffering any longer).

2) Yeevaraku juchinAdhi chAladhA? inkanAreetiyaa? You have a silent witness to my long sufferings in this samsAric world. Isn't what You have witnessed so far sufficient for you to come to my help? "ninu vinaa yevaru?" Who is there for me except Your noble Self as my rakshakan? Accepting that You are my only protector, I have been directing my plaintive prayers to you all this time.

3) Raamaa-ramaNa raaraa Oh! Oh Lord of Mahaa Lakshmi! Oh Raamaa! Please come before me! "RaNAdhiSoora SarNagata TvaccharaNam bhavatAraNamBhu jEsunu" (Oh greatest victor in the battles with Your enemies! adiyEn has surrendered at Your lotus feet with Mahaa ViswAsam). Cannot You shower Your KaruNA kaDAksham on me and bless me promptly?

Sri Raamachandra ParaBrahmaNE nama:

Oppiliappan Koil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

NOTE: Those who prefer to have a PDF or WORD document copy of this write-up can download either of the format from the following links:

WORD doc:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/word_docs/dinamaNivaMsa.doc

PDF:

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/pdf/dinamaNivaMsa.pdf

AUDIO

http://www.ibiblio.org/sadagopan/tyagaraja_kritis_project/audio/DinamaniSanthanam.mp3

Dear sree vishNava perunthagaiyeer,

on this krithi, my article of linking to sreemadh raamaayaNam incident, the

samudhra raajan praising raama as dinamani vamsa tilaka - that episode happening

at shores of ocean -- is already available in oppiliappan message 96 in archives

in 16th may 2006 under the title seethaayaas charitham mahath post 4

hope readers can pick that article.

dhasan

vasudevan m.g.

Oppiliappan , " Dr.V.Sadagopan " <yennappan wrote:

>

>

SrI:

> SrI raghunandana parabraHmaNe namaH

>

> Kriti: dinamaNi vaMsa

>

> raaga harikAmbhOji

>

> In the kRti ‘dinamaNi vaMsa’ †" rAga harikAmbhOji, srI tyAgarAja pleads

with Lord not to play hide and seek with him.

>

> Pallavi:

>

> dina maNi vaMsa tilaka lAvaNya dIna saraNya

>

> Anupallavi:

>

> manavini bAguga madini talancucu

>

> canuvunan(E)lu cAlugA jAlu (dinamaNi)

>

> CaraNam

>

> sarva vinuta nanu saMrakSincanu

>

> garvamu Ela kAcuvAr(e)varE

>

> nir-vikAra guNa nirmala kara dhRta

>

> parvata tyAgarAja sarvasvamau (dinamaNi)

>