Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-34

“kurippenakku kOttiyur mEyAnai yEththa

kurippenakku nanmai payakka-veruppanO

vEnkataththu mEyAnai meivinai nOi eidhAmal

thAnkadaththum thanmaiyAn thAl”

Oh! Azhveer you instructed us to remain immersed in the kalyana gunas of emperuman without even wasting a second. Have you ever been like that? In this paasuram azhvar answers,”When emperuman with such great grace has descended to this world as archAvatara and stays in many divya desams, can I ever neglect him?”

(kurippenakku kOttiyur mEyAnai yEththa) My aim is to always worship that lord who resides in thirukkottiyur for my sake.

(kOttiyur mEyAnai) Not being able to be separated from me emperuman left his divine abode and now resides in thirukkottiyur. “mEviyurai kOil” says swamy nammazhvar (thiru 4-10-2)

(kurippenakku nanmai payakka) Is there anyone who doesn’t wish/think about his own welfare? Since I care for my welfare, I without a break worship that lord.

If I look at the lord’s greatness then it is apt for me to sing his praise. If I look at my svaroopa then too it is correct only for me to keep on singing his praise always.

(nanmai payakka) What is good for a jeevatma? Greatness arising due to bhagavat samslEsham (union with the lord/bhagavan). That is why I am worshiping the lord.

(veruppanO vEnkataththu mEyAnai) Will I show hatred towards that lord, who for my sake left paramapadam and now has landed in thiruvenkatamalai? Will anyone ignore wealth in their path?

(mEyAnai meivinai nOi eidhAmal thAnkadaththum thanmaiyAn thAl veruppanO) Will I ever detest the divine feet that automatically overrides the diseases that come to my body and the karmas that are the root cause of all problems? Will I even forget a second?

It is either “mei nOi” or “meivinai nOi”. While we consider “meivinai nOi” then it indicates the karmas that are the root cause behind sareera sambhandam. “nOi” indicates the problems arising due to the karmas.

The very name “venkatavan” indicates that he is capable of over riding the karmas.

The same meaning has been conveyed by Swamy nammazhvar in his paasuram thiruvaimozhi 3-3-6 as

“vEnkatangal meimEl vinaimuRRavum

thAngal thangatku nallanavE seivAr

vEnkataththurai vArkku namavennalAm

kadamai adhu sumandhArgatkE”

“enakku nanmai payakka” -----à”thangatku nallanavE seivAr"

“meivinai nOi eidhAmal thAnkadaththum”-----à “meimEl vinai muRRavum vEnkatangal”

(To Be Continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan