IndiaDivine.org

The Choice is not yours

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Choice is not yours

The Lord being accused of dicrimination, has been playing the rounds from time to time. The whys and hows for, Some people being rewarded with higher elevation of salvation while some still are lingering around in this cycle of births and deaths, are some of the 'frequently asked questions'.

Well, the Lord has granted one and all, the discerning ability to study through good and bad, to follow the right path and if one wishes to take the contrary path, the results of such choice, vests with the chooser and hence it is said that

' The Choice is yours'.

True. Going by the same argument if the jEvAthmA decides on the initial stage to follow the right ways to reach Him, is it fail-sure? Is it fool-proof?

Lord krishNA has preached several means to reach Him. 'nERi ellAm eduthuraitha niRai gnAnathu oru mUrthy' 4-8-6; are the divne words of thiru-voi-mozhi.

Which does one follow? Having chosen the right path -the good one- the soul is thrown at the crossroads, is left in front of the labyrinth of ways and means, confronts the herculean task of crossing the ocean of past sins. Added to this, is the limitations of sensory organs of the jEvAthmAs to acquire knowledge -aLavudai aim pulangaL.

Then, what does one do? is the question uppermost in the minds. That is what srEvaishNavism is about. The thiru-voi-mozhi covers several divine aspects and this is one. It shows the correct way. thakka-neRi.

Sri nam-AzhwAr addresses this very question to the Lord Himself. 'en-nAn seigEan ? 5-8-3;" Oh! Lord what can I do?

As an ordinary prpannA -what can I do? Devoid of capability, knowledge, oh! Lord, what can I do? -You are my only refuge.

The Lord says " I have given you discerning capablitites and sensory organs. Why dont you acquire knowledge and perform the procedures ?"

AzhwAr : Oh! Lord this knowledge has pushed me into a blind end. They have taught me that pursuing means other than You is not incumbent to the jEvAthmA's innate nature. You are my only refuge

However, the utmost devotion culminating into emotional outbursts -bakthi-pAravyasyam, push AzhwAr-s into ecstasy and make them follow means which are not correct -madal eduthal, dhUthu vidal etc.= the longingness does not allow them to be composed.Therefore, AzhwAr says 'en-nAn seigEan' -You are my only refuge

Sri piLLai lOkAchAryAr mentions this in the srEvachana bhUshaNam 43

'agnAnathAlEa prapannar asmathAthigaL; gnAnAdikathAlEa prapannar pUrvAchAryArgaL;bakthi pAravysyathAlEa prapannar AzhwArgaL'

and these three stages the stage of agnAnam-prapannAs;the stage of gnAnAdhikkam-pUrvAchAryAs; the stage of bakthi pAravyasyam-AzhwAr-s- can be seen in the words from thiru-voi-mozhi

'en-nAn -seigEan' --en-nAn seigEan engiRa idathil im-mUnRum vuNDu.SrE vachana bhUshaNam 46.

It can be understood that we ordinary prapannAs lack the knowledge, perseverence and requisite capablities to pursue other means. Therefore, He is the ultimate choice. Though there are several means, ours is only one - the best -as It banks on His Compassion- This lack of choice is a gifted position vis-a-vis other means. Let us be proud to be so in this situation.

obviously--

Choice is not yours

We look upon His mercy. In fact, the

Choice is His

dAsan

vanamamalai padmanabhan