Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-66

“valamAga mAttAmai thAnAga vaigal

kulamAga kuRRamthAnAga- nalamAga

nAraNanai nApathiyai jnAnapperumAnai

seerANai yEththum thiRam”

Oh! Azhveer previously you said that you have strongly placed emperuman in your mind and thereby also pushed the thoughts of others, brahma/rudras out of your mind. But this is the world of misery. Will your mind be strong even during utmost misery?

Azhvar answers, Happiness or sorrow, my thoughts will always wander only around that supreme lord.

(nalamAga nAraNanai) one who is the benevolent master of all. Though he enters and sustains all the nara’s still he is flawless.

(nApathiyai) I used to sing the praise of others and now he has attracted my tongue to sing only his praise.

(jnAnapperumAnai) one who is the house of knowledge/wisdom

(seerAnai) though filled with knowledge is he characterless? Oh NO. He is also a house of divine qualities.

(yEththum thiRam) power to praise. Elaborate eulogy.

(valamAga) Let this act yield good results;

(mAttAmaithAnAga) or bad;

(kulamAga) Let it give me birth in good clan;

(kuRRamthAnAga) or bad;

(vaikal) let this be a regular affair;

I am least bothered. My aim is to praise him. He has entered my mind and I have wholly accepted him and hence irrespective of the results I will continue to sing his praise, declare azhvar.

(nAraNanai nApathiyai jnAnapperumAnai seerAnai yEththum thiRam) <implied meaning> Since he is sarvEsvaran, one who made me sing this andhAdhi and one who is the embodiment of knowledge (the knowledge to protect me, “vunnadiyArkku en seivan endRE eruththi nee”periya thiruvandhAdhi-53) there is no doubt that the result will be for my good and welfare.

“kadiyan kodiyan nediyamAl vulagamkonda adiyen aRivarumEnimAyaththan Agilum kodiya en nenjam avanenRE kidakkum ellE” (thiruvai 5-3-5) These are the words of wisdom of nammazhvar on the same lines.

(To Be Continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan