Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-70

“thAnoruvanAgi dharaNi edandeduththu

AnoruvanA yeyiRRil tAngiyadhum-yAnoruvan

EndrA arigindREn allEn erunilaththai

SendrAngu adippaduththa sEi”

How did you realize that it is the glowing light in the Vedas?

Azhvar answers “Oh! It is me who has not realized it till today. Many intelligent people have known this for long”

(ThAnoruvanAgi) The supreme lord himself attaining the ultimate state .The ultimate state being when the divine qualities like sowseelyam, sowlabhyam, vatsalyam etc of emperuman sprouts out. That is explicit when emperuman stood as vamana “oru mAnikuralAgi” [thiruvai 1-10-11] rejoices swamy nammazhvar. The almighty disregarded all his special qualities and became a beggar in the footsteps of mahabali; He placed his divine feet on the heads of one and all without any expectation or differentiation. Is this not ultimate sowlabhyam/sowseelyam/vatsalyam?

(Angu sendru) Emperuman is all-powerful to wash out mahabali from his seat in paramapadam but appreciating the one good quality, generosity in mahabali, emperuman lowered himself and ran to mahabali’s court.

(erunilaththai adipaduththa sEi) Emperuman measured the vast earth with just single feet

(dharani edandeduththu) saved mother earth, who was immersed into the pralaya waters and was jailed in the pathala loka. Taking the huge form as mahavaraha (divine boar) emperuman saved bhoomi piratti and lifted her.

(AnoruvanAi) Though a huge one still a boar is an inferior animal (“mAsudambil neervArA mAnamilAp pandriyAi”) and hence once again emperuman exhibits his sowlabhya/sowseelya qualities

(yeyiRRil tAngiyadhu) held in the tip of his nose.

(yAnoruvan EndrA arigindrEn allEn) The most ignorant me alone, has not known this fact till today. But now I have realized it and given it out to the world. But surely this is not my invention it has been known by many intellects for long.

(To Be Continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan