Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-77

“tarpennai tAnariyA nElum tadankadalai

kaRkoNdu toorththa kadal vannan-ErkoNda

vevvinaiyum neenga vilangA manam vaiththAn

evvinaiyum mAyumAl kaNdu”

Leave alone all the vAchya (words)/vAchakAs (meanings) being his sankalpa (wish) How can I sing the praise of others when he has showered his ultimate grace on me, an embodiment of mistakes.

(tarpennai tAnariyAnElum) Even if he does not realize my self fully; I am a total embodiment of mistakes “kulangalAya EriraNdil ondrilum pirandhilEn,nalangalAya naRkalaigal nAlilum navindrilEn, pulankaLaindhum ondrilEN poRiyilEn” [thiruchan-90]

(tAnariyAnElum) He who is the house of knowledge “ya: sarvagya: sarvavith” even he doesn’t understand me;

(ennai tAnariyAnElum) Instead of saying emperuman doesn’t understand my faults azhvar says he doesn’t understand my self because azhvar considers himself to be an embodiment of mistakes/faults. Instead of faults being one of azhvars quality it has become azhvar himself. But how is emperuman considered to be ignorant of the same? Since emperuman ignores the demerits of the bhakthas and considers everything to be a good quality. Like a cow that cherishes even the dirt in the body of its new calf, emperuman is filled with ultimate vatsalyam on all his bhakthas (jnana sAram-arulalaperumal emperumAnAr)

(tadankadalai kaRkoNdu toorththa kadalvaNNan) To save seetha piratti from the clutches of ravana emperuman, chakravarththi thirumagan constructed the bridge over the sea. The sea is capable of swallowing even huge mountains whereas it was possible for the lord to construct a bridge of stones over it. It is all due to his agadithagatanAsAmarththyam (talent to do that which is not possible). He did wonders not only for the sake of piratti but also for the sake of weak souls like me.

(eRkoNda vevvinaiyum neengak kaNdu) All those sins that made my self to be ignored as not present “asanyEva” were just washed by his divine grace.

(vilangA manam kaNdu vaiththAn) He wished to place his mind on me and thereby never got away from me “kallum kanaikadalum vaikundha vAnAdum pullendrozhindhanakol” (all others abodes of emperuman have become vacant since he has now settled inside me) “panikkadalil paLLi kOlai pazhagavittu Odivandhu”

(aRiyAnElum –manam vaiththAn) He didn’t see my faults but placed his mind on me. He multiplied my trivial good qualities and ignored my entire mountain like faults.

(evvinaiyum mAyumAl) When he has wished to grace me, will my sins live? It has all been washed fully.

(To Be Continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan