Srimathe ramanujaya Namaha

Srimad Vara Vara munayE Namaha

Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-81

"kadhavu manamEndRum kAnalA mendRum

Kudaiyum vinaiyAvi teerindhEn-vidaiyAga

naRRamizhai viththi ennuLLaththai neeviLaiththAi

kaRRamozhi yAgik kalaindhu"

Listening to the lexis of thirumazhisaipiran the whole world became spiritual (bhagavat pravanAs).

Pleased with the divine work of azhvar (arulicheyal) emperuman said with content, "Oh Azhveer! What shall I do to you in return?" Azhvar replies, "Oh lord! All these are the effect of your kind self correcting my heart; it is you who did all these.

Why should you pay me back for the act you have actually done?"

(kadhavu manamendRum….teerindhEn) I have overcome the hurdles that others face in reaching the divine lord.

What's that?

(kadhavu manamendRum kAnalAmendRum kudaiyum vinaiyAvi)

"mana Eva manushyAnAm kAraNam bandhamOkshayO: I

bhandhAya vishayAsangi mukthyai nirvishayam mana: II" [

vi.pu.6-7-28]

[Mind is the reason for both samsara and moksha.

If our mind wanders around the worldly pleasures we remain in samsara whereas when it gets involved in bhagavat vishaya it paves the path to moksha]

Thereby it is very clear that controlling the mind is very essential.

It acts as the door between us and emperuman. If it opens then we will reach the lord else remain in samsara.

Mind has a unstable nature ('sanchalam hi mana: Krishna' says arjuna in bhagavat geetha)

(kadhavu manamendRum kAnalAmendRum) "Athmaiva hyAthmanO bandhu: Athmaiva riputAthmana" (geetha 6-5) [Mind is at times athma's friend and at times athma's enemy]

(kudaiyum vinaiyAvi teerindhEn) I have won over the unstable mind and have now got my mind stranded in bhagavat vishayam.

(Aavi) Though generally 'Aavi' refers to prAnan.

Here it refers to the heart (mind) the house of prAnan. Similar to the above geetha sloka where the word 'Athma' referred to mind.

How did azhvar succeed in doing that?

(vithaiyAga nal tamizh viththi) You sowed the seeds of good tamizh language with no grammatical or literary mistakes in my heart.

(kaRRa mozhiyAgi kalandhu) You have become the meaning to that tamil language that I am used to from the day one of my birth and penetrated into my heart.

(mozhiyAgi) the meaning;

(en vuLLaththai nee vilaiththAi) 'nenjap perunsEi" (thiru 5-3-4)

My heart is the barren land, you are the farmer (paththi uzhavan) filled with knowledge and strength (jnanam and sakthi) sowed the seeds of tamizh language, and made the crops of poems (paasurams) grow. And now I enjoy the benefit of a stable mind immersed in bhagavat bhakthi.

So there has been three benefits the land has become fertile (azhvar's heart), the farmer is happy with the yield and the whole world is enjoying the result.

(To Be Continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee

Sumithra Varadarajan