IndiaDivine.org

Neduntheru S. Kannan’s ‘DIVINE SOVEREIGNTY and OUR FREEDOM’

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Bhaktas,

It was my good fortune to recently obtain a copy of Neduntheru S. Kannan’s ‘DIVINE SOVEREIGNTY and OUR FREEDOM’. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this excellent book and do not think it is necessary for me to comment on its merits. I will only give extracts of the reviews of this book that have appeared in THE HINDU dated June 29,2004 and in SRI RANGANATHA PADUKA, April 2004. Reviews of this book have also appeared in SRI PERARULALAN, June 2004 and in the SEWA MONTHLY, May 2004. If you are interested you may get copies of the book (priced at Rs. 100/- or US $10/-) from:

1) Sri P.S. Rangarajan,

Srinivasa Educational and Social Trust,

D-2, Adyar Apartments, 4th Main Road,

Kottur Gardens, Chennai-600085.

2) Sri S. Kannan

New 30, 3 rd. Main Road

Kottur Gardens, Chennai 600 085.

The author can be contacted at kausalya1 or thiruvenkatam2004.

Book Review: The Hindu, Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Link : http://www.hindu.com/br/2004/06/29/stories/2004062900181500.htm

DIVINE SOVEREIGNTY AND OUR FREEDOM: Neduntheru S. Kannan

PHILOSOPHY IS speculation of the whole Reality by a critical examination of facts and prevalent doctrines. Western philosophy is an intellectual avocation. But Indian philosophy, especially Vedanta, is God-centered and encompasses ethics, do's and don'ts and faith.

The ontology of Brahman (or God) is also very important. Vyasa's Brahmasutra (II.3.4), asserts that human effort is dependent on the Para (God). An interesting question arises; "Has man got a free will to act or is he merely dependent on the sovereign influence of God? What decides human action?"

Ramanuja's school has devised a self-consistent model in this area of thought. The soul is eternal; it has rebirth; its action is influenced by past Karmas. As such, God is said to have a three-phase role. First He is indifferent, then He permits and finally He induces.

Practical illustrations are cited; quite a few are included in the book under review. Thus an individual is prompted by the impact of his own previous actions, which are similar to the waves in a sea. As you sow, so you reap.

Conscience is God's presence in man. Man knows — and ought to know — what is right. If he persists in wrong-doing, God then lets him do and go down in sin and suffer. Not that God is unkindly; nor can He be partial. If one is good and does good, he will go up and God helps.

In this manner, man has free will, but he will rise or fall, as he deserves. He cannot merely put the blame on God. The author has marshaled facts and philosophical concepts to serve as a moral guidebook.

His vast equipment in religious literature has helped him produce a nice guide that is instructive, informative and elevating. Spiritual seekers will stand to benefit from this excellent paperback.

V. N. VEDANTA DESIKAN

Book Review: Sri RANGANATHA PADUKA, April 2004.

DIVINE SOVEREIGNTY AND OUR FREEDOM: Neduntheru S. Kannan

The eloquent author has indeed, very brilliantly dealt with the topic “If God is the doer of everything, where am I a doer, why am I a sinner”. An eye-opener, in line with Visishtadvaita Philosophy, the book should be read repeatedly for enlightment and enjoyment. Pleasing maturity dawns on any deep reader of this book.

- Editor

Yours respectfully,

Madapusi Palavedu ArunKumar