IndiaDivine.org

The Power of Lord's Holy Names

Rate this topic

Guest guest

harE krShNa! AzhwArgaL thiruvadigaLE sharaNam!

Dear Sri Ramkumar, very perfectly said and I want to add few more lines.

Dear Sri Anoop, anything we follow, must be questioned as, " Why should I do? Why should I not do? " So the same thing we must apply here and think, " Why should I chant the holy names of lord hari and this harE krShNa mahA manthram specifically? Why not other manthrAs 108 times? " The answer is:

In kalisantharaNa upanishadh, it is stated:

harE krShNa harE krShNa krShNa krShNa harE harE

harE rAma harE rAma rAma rAma harE harE |

ithi shOdashaka nAmnAm kali kalmaSha nAshanam

nAthaha paratharOpAyaha sarva vEdhEshu dhrshyathE ||

(Proof Link:

http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Jan/msg00223.html )

" This collection of sixteen names (of lord nArAyaNa) destroys the evils of the Kali Yuga. There is no, any other effective means (of liberation) if we look in all sections of the Vedas. " - lord brahma to shrI nAradha, in kalisantharaNa upanishadh.

[Note: Some consider first harE rAma and then harE krShNa. And some consider, first harE krShNa and then harE rAma. However you chant, it doesn't matter and kindly don't bother too much about this. You will get the same result in whichever way you chant. To read full history for the reason for reversing, kindly read in the following link: http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Jan/msg00223.html ]

So it is recommended to chant this at least 16 rounds (108 x 16 rounds) as our past devotees has specifically stressed " at least 16 rounds are must " . And in general time also, if possible one can continue the same. Or else a person can always utter the holy names of lord viShNu, as stated in brhadh nAradhIya purANam:

harErnAma harErnAma harErnAmaiva kEvalam |

kalou nAsthi kalou nAsthi kalou nAsthyEva gathiranyatha ||

(Proof Link 1:

http://www.bvashram.org/articles/93/1/Prophecy-of-the-Golden-Age )

(Proof Link 2:

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug97/0031.html )

(Proof Link 3:

http://www.sssct.org/Discourses/2004/ramanavami.htm )

" In the age of Kali there is no other way to achieve the supreme, other than by chanting the holy names of Lord Hari. There is no other way, no other way, no other way. "

So once if something is stressed for 3 times, one has to take seriously. It is like " Order! Order! Order! " . So kindly do practice continuous chanting of the holy names of lord hari/viShNu, so that we all can go that undying and everblissful world where there is no birth, no death, no pains, etc. as confirmed by lord krShNa in BhagavadhgItha in so many shlOkams:

One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna. (BhagavadhgIthA 4.9)After attaining Me, the great souls, who are yogis in devotion, never return to this temporary world, which is full of miseries, because they have attained the highest perfection. (

BhagavadhgIthA 8.15) From the highest planet in the material world down to the lowest, all are places of misery wherein repeated birth and death take place. But one who attains to My abode, O son of Kunti, never takes birth again. ( BhagavadhgIthA 8.16)Yet there is another nature, which is eternal and is transcendental to this manifested and unmanifested matter. It is supreme and is never annihilated. When all in this world is annihilated, that part remains as it is. That supreme abode is called unmanifested and infallible, and it is the supreme destination. When one goes there, he never comes back in this material world. ( BhagavadhgIthA8.20-21) Those who know the Supreme Brahman (God) pass away from the world during the influence of the fiery god, in the light, at an auspicious moment, during the fortnight of the moon and the six months when the sun travels in the north, never returns in this material world. ( BhagavadhgIthA 8.24)One who is free from illusion, false prestige, and false association, who understands the eternal, who is done with material lust and is freed from the duality of happiness and distress, and who knows how to surrender unto the Supreme Person, attains to that eternal kingdom. That abode of Mine is not illumined by the sun or moon, nor by electricity. One who reaches it never returns to this material world. ( BhagavadhgIthA 15.5-6)

So initially, continuously chanting may be bit difficult and you may find cuts or gaps in between the chants. But once you practice this activity for just 1 to 2 months continuously, your chanting comes automatically with your breath. Try to concentrate on the chanting. If not possible, don't get frustrated.

Because in shrImadhBhAgavatham 1.1.14, it is stated, " Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the holy name of Krishna, which is feared by fear personified. "

(Proof Link:

http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/1/14/en)

So I request everyone to chant on the holy names of lord krShNa and harE krShNa mahA manthram and just depend primarily on these two, instead of depending on any other means for any kinds of solutions.

- Balaji - The Servant of Devotees!

harE krShNa! AzhwArgaL thiruvadigaLE sharaNam!

Dear Sri Sampath Kumar Padmanaban Swami,

My humble praNAms to you. Thanks for your involvement. Actually up to now I do not belong to any sampradhAyams, but just follow strict vEdhic injunctions given by lord viShNu, his forms and his devotees, whether they be in South India or North India or even let the devotees be Westerns. So whatever lord krShNa and his pure devotees says, I will try to follow. So I am not specifically pointing to any vaiShNava sampradhAyams.

So if the vEdhic scriptures (which is written by shrI vEdha vyAsa) or lord viShNu is telling something then it is our duty to follow. So if one who doesn't follow the words of our ultimate and supreme father - lord viShNu, what is the use of being called as a 'devotee or vaiShNava'. vaiShNava means one who follows lord viShNu (means lord viShNu's instructions).

And anything we speak must with scriptural references and authorized verses of our AchAryAs. You have stated:

Anything not mentioned or accepted by them is not only to be against your own acharyas, but that practice would be fruitless.

You are right. But the chanting of harE krShNa mahA manthram is clearly mentioned in the vEdhic scriptures (that too at this age of kali). So it is not at all against our AchAryAs. And take it granted that those who oppose the chanting of this harE krShNa mahA manthram cannot be an AchArya. What to speak of AchArya, he cannot be called even as a human being. Because opposers of lord krShNa's names are considered as demons according to vEdhic scriptures.

In last sentence, you have also told:

Requesting followers from other schools of Vaishnavam, especially Sri Vaishnavas, to chant different mantras.

When our beloved 'mother' shrI rAmAnujAchArya and shrI annamaAchArya themself gave 'devotional rights' to everyone, why are you concentrating on single category called 'shrI vaiShNavam'? You have to address to every one to chant different manthrAs of lord viShNu. And I have never asked anyone to stop other manthrAs. I just requested to chant harE krShNa mahA manthram and the holy names of lord hari.

So my request is kindly don't differentiate from one vaiShNava to another vaiShNava. These different sampradhAyams are different ways to reach vaikunTam. And no where stated that each sampradhAyam has its own different manthram to reach vaikunTam. So if anything like this stated, I am ready to accept it. Kindly provide me scriptural proofs or authorized verses stating, " There are different manthrAs for each sampradhAyam " . So that even I can learn to differente between one vaiShNava to another vaiShNava.

In a nutshell, I want to notify once again what I meant:

1) Chant harE krShNa mahA manthram (or harE rAmA mahA manthram...whatever it may be) as stated in vEdhic scriptures.

2) Chant the holy names of lord hari continously as stated in vEdhic scriptures.

3) I never asked anyone to stop chanting other manthrAs of lord viShNu.

4) I am not at all specific to any sampradhAyAs and it is in general to all humans.

5) I never want to discourage any sampradhAyams because if we dig back and find the leader of each sampradhAya, they will be our own beloved mother lakShmi (shrI sampradhAya), lord krShNa (gaudIya sampradhAya), lord shiva (rudhra sampradhAya...who are also devotees of lord viShNu), etc. So I love all the vaiShNavAs.

So if I was wrong any where or against scriptures and authorized verses, I humbly request to point out them so that I can learn the perfect path of achieving the holy feet of lord viShNu.

My great thanks to Sri Sampath Kumar Padmanaban Swami for raising this devotional topic. My humble praNAms to him for making me to think of mother lakShmi, lord viShNu and other vaiShNavAs.

Let us discuss more on the divine topics of lord viShNu so that we get the real knowledge.

On 2/15/06, Sampath Kumar Padmanaban <janasampath wrote:

Sri: Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama: Srimath Varavara Munaye Nama: Dear Sri. Balaji Swamin,

Kindly accept adiyen's humble pranams. It is beyound doubt and with no ambiguity vedas and upanishads have specified the supremacy of Sriman Narayanan. It is also clear that the means to attain Him is only Him. And chanting His divine names (which are nothing but His auspicious qualities) must be the only past time of all the chetanas.

Having stated this, it is well known to all of us that the various vaishnava sampradhayams have different variations of approaches and put emphasis on different mantrams and practices. In this regard, the Hare Krishna mantram is something Sri Vaishnavas do not follow. In each school, our poorvacharyas have prescribed us specific steps to be followed. Anything not mentioned or accepted by them is not only to be against your own acharyas, but that practice would be fruitless. Hence, with due respect to Gaudiya Vaishnava and their beliefs and practices, adiyen beg to differ with you in requesting followers from other schools of Vaishnavam, especially Sri Vaishnavas, to chant different mantras.

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan.Sampath Kumar Padmanaban Azhvar Emberumanar Jeeyar Thiruvadikale Saranam Jeeyar Thiruvadikale SaranamBalaji A <

balajimails wrote: harE krShNa! AzhwArgaL thiruvadigaLE sharaNam!Dear Sri Ramkumar, very perfectly said and I want to add few more lines.Dear Sri Anoop, anything we follow, must be questioned as, " Why should I do? Why should I not do? " So the same thing we must apply here and think, " Why should I chant the holy names of lord hari and this harE krShNa mahA manthram specifically? Why not other manthrAs 108 times? " The answer is:

In kalisantharaNa upanishadh, it is stated:harE krShNa harE krShNa krShNa krShNa harE harEharE rAma harE rAma rAma rAma harE harE |ithi shOdashaka nAmnAm kali kalmaSha nAshanamnAthaha paratharOpAyaha sarva vEdhEshu dhrshyathE ||

(Proof Link: http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Jan/msg00223.html ) " This collection of sixteen names (of lord nArAyaNa) destroys the evils of the Kali Yuga. There is no, any other effective means (of liberation) if we look in all sections of the Vedas. " - lord brahma to shrI nAradha, in kalisantharaNa upanishadh.

[Note: Some consider first harE rAma and then harE krShNa. And some consider, first harE krShNa and then harE rAma. However you chant, it doesn't matter and kindly don't bother too much about this. You will get the same result in whichever way you chant. To read full history for the reason for reversing, kindly read in the following link: http://www.hindunet.org/alt_hindu/1995_Jan/msg00223.html ]So it is recommended to chant this at least 16 rounds (108 x 16 rounds) as our past devotees has specifically stressed " at least 16 rounds are must " . And in general time also, if possible one can continue the same. Or else a person can always utter the holy names of lord viShNu, as stated in brhadh nAradhIya purANam:

harErnAma harErnAma harErnAmaiva kEvalam |kalou nAsthi kalou nAsthi kalou nAsthyEva gathiranyatha ||(Proof Link 1: http://www.bvashram.org/articles/93/1/Prophecy-of-the-Golden-Age

)(Proof Link 2: http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/aug97/0031.html )(Proof Link 3:

http://www.sssct.org/Discourses/2004/ramanavami.htm ) " In the age of Kali there is no other way to achieve the supreme, other than by chanting the holy names of Lord Hari. There is no other way, no other way, no other way. "

So once if something is stressed for 3 times, one has to take seriously. It is like " Order! Order! Order! " . So kindly do practice continuous chanting of the holy names of lord hari/viShNu, so that we all can go that undying and everblissful world where there is no birth, no death, no pains, etc. as confirmed by lord krShNa in BhagavadhgItha in so many shlOkams:

One who knows the transcendental nature of My appearance and activities does not, upon leaving the body, take his birth again in this material world, but attains My eternal abode, O Arjuna. (BhagavadhgIthA 4.9)

After attaining Me, the great souls, who are yogis in devotion, never return to this temporary world, which is full of miseries, because they have attained the highest perfection. ( BhagavadhgIthA 8.15)

From the highest planet in the material world down to the lowest, all are places of misery wherein repeated birth and death take place. But one who attains to My abode, O son of Kunti, never takes birth again. ( BhagavadhgIthA 8.16)Yet there is another nature, which is eternal and is transcendental to this manifested and unmanifested matter. It is supreme and is never annihilated. When all in this world is annihilated, that part remains as it is. That supreme abode is called unmanifested and infallible, and it is the supreme destination. When one goes there, he never comes back in this material world. ( BhagavadhgIthA8.20-21)Those who know the Supreme Brahman (God) pass away from the world during the influence of the fiery god, in the light, at an auspicious moment, during the fortnight of the moon and the six months when the sun travels in the north, never returns in this material world. ( BhagavadhgIthA 8.24)One who is free from illusion, false prestige, and false association, who understands the eternal, who is done with material lust and is freed from the duality of happiness and distress, and who knows how to surrender unto the Supreme Person, attains to that eternal kingdom. That abode of Mine is not illumined by the sun or moon, nor by electricity. One who reaches it never returns to this material world. ( BhagavadhgIthA 15.5-6)So initially, continuously chanting may be bit difficult and you may find cuts or gaps in between the chants. But once you practice this activity for just 1 to 2 months continuously, your chanting comes automatically with your breath. Try to concentrate on the chanting. If not possible, don't get frustrated.

Because in shrImadhBhAgavatham 1.1.14, it is stated, " Living beings who are entangled in the complicated meshes of birth and death can be freed immediately by even unconsciously chanting the holy name of Krishna, which is feared by fear personified. "

(Proof Link: http://srimadbhagavatam.com/1/1/14/en)So I request everyone to chant on the holy names of lord krShNa and harE krShNa mahA manthram and just depend primarily on these two, instead of depending on any other means for any kinds of solutions.