IndiaDivine.org

[Vaideekam] Digest Number 233

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Respected Moderator Mama,

I have read Mr. Muralidharan's views and your reply. I am sorry for starting this debate. Now I think I have to clarify what I had in mind when I said what I said:

Before that, during my six months stay in the US, I utilised the opportunity to read 12 Principal Upanishads, Sri Bhashya, the Law Code of Manu and the Dharma Sutras of Apasthambar, Gautamar, Bodayanar and Vasishtar. I also read Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. I also researched fairly deeply on Bhagavad Gita. These readings and my father's teachings and trainings were deliberated fully.

I have seen many of us abroad and here wanting to follow our scriptures sincerely to the best of their ability. They also have certain constraints imposed by time and circumstances. I have even come across a person who holds extreme views which I do not wish to quote here. There are misconceptions all over and very few people only are available to clarify the misconceptions. There are also religious leaders advocating so many things. While I do not wish to continue this debate for various reasons (as it is a vast subject and can only be personally discussed and not by mails or messages posting), I wish to clarify my views as under with your kind permission:

1) I do not find any fault in any of the dharma sastras prescribed and quoted above. They cover brahmins whose duties are well defined. We have gone much much away from those duties and this fact cannot be ignored.

2) Vedas are eternal and Upanishads being part of Vedas are also eternal. Ramanuja has said that if there is a conflict between Puranas, Agamas and Dharma Sastras with Vedas, only Vedas shall prevail and they are time tested and need no amendments, if I may say so.

3) If one reads the Principal Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and the Sri Bashya, one finds a great solace and knows what to pursue in the spiritual path. On the other hand, Dharma sastras which have to be followed no doubt, and which cannot be disputed by any standard have become unworkable in the present days. Anmikam of Vedanta Desika and other anmikams can be followed by brahmins who are learned in Vedas and who practise Vedas and live accoring to the Vedas. This is also expected of all us, I agree. When (I am sorry to say and would like to even avoid saying) even Vaideekas of modern days do not follow the sastras, and our women cannot follow the sastras in these days, the dilution of sastras has become a hard fact and a reality. If some want to follow all the dharma sastras strictly, there are not enough people to guide them also.

Only in the above circumstances, did I place before you a request as to what all are the sastras we can comply with in the present days so that we keep and maintain our ancient glory and traditions.

Let me repeat I honour and cherish the traditions and the Dharma Sastras, but feel sorry that I, like many others, am not able to strictly follow some of the commandments stated there.

I do not however to the examples quoted by Mr. Muralidharan. They are his views and I take it accordingly. For my part, I do not oppose the sastras at all and do not, however, wish to justify or defend what has been said in the sastras by relating them to the present day activities in some way or other, as Mr. Muralidharan has attempted, as the sastras and their authors, the well well learned maharishis, do not need any advocate to support them. They are all masterpieces and my regret is I am unable to follow all of them but would prefer to follow them if possible and this can be ensured only when I could live in a society which accepts all the behaviours prescribed in the sastras.

I apologise if I had unintentionally hurt anyone's feelings in this matter.

Thanks and with kind regards,

Padmanabhan

T V Padmanabhan Advocate A-20 Arcot Terrace 160 Arcot Road, Vadapalani Chennai 600 026, India

Tel: 91-44-23650911; 98400 52787

Start your day with - make it your home page

Guest guest

Respected Swamin,

Basically for this confusion is that we don't have any personal time (i-e) no calls,TV,mails and even discussions with our kith and kin.If any one is able to grabhalf an hour atleast in a day we can follow all that had been given to us by elders.That is why the early morning hours are preferred.Once we start devoting this time ,others will come automatically.This is my personal experience.It can be started immdtly as it is in our hands. Others will follow suit. Our thinking will be united and all requirements of acharams will be fulfilled. We think of acharyas and they will guide us properly. What is good for one sect may not be good for other sect though in the same relegion.A simple example is Thirumankappu.Though there are two ways, both people attain moksha if they follow their teachings.Hence without any further thoughts on this, let every one start gaining a personal time which will give lot of inroads to all types of acharams

Adiyen

Raman"T.V.Padmanabhan" <tvp7 wrote:

Respected Moderator Mama,

I have read Mr. Muralidharan's views and your reply. I am sorry for starting this debate. Now I think I have to clarify what I had in mind when I said what I said:

Before that, during my six months stay in the US, I utilised the opportunity to read 12 Principal Upanishads, Sri Bhashya, the Law Code of Manu and the Dharma Sutras of Apasthambar, Gautamar, Bodayanar and Vasishtar. I also read Patanjali's Yoga Sutras. I also researched fairly deeply on Bhagavad Gita. These readings and my father's teachings and trainings were deliberated fully.

I have seen many of us abroad and here wanting to follow our scriptures sincerely to the best of their ability. They also have certain constraints imposed by time and circumstances. I have even come across a person who holds extreme views which I do not wish to quote here. There are misconceptions all over and very few people only are available to clarify the misconceptions. There are also religious leaders advocating so many things. While I do not wish to continue this debate for various reasons (as it is a vast subject and can only be personally discussed and not by mails or messages posting), I wish to clarify my views as under with your kind permission:

1) I do not find any fault in any of the dharma sastras prescribed and quoted above. They cover brahmins whose duties are well defined. We have gone much much away from those duties and this fact cannot be ignored.

2) Vedas are eternal and Upanishads being part of Vedas are also eternal. Ramanuja has said that if there is a conflict between Puranas, Agamas and Dharma Sastras with Vedas, only Vedas shall prevail and they are time tested and need no amendments, if I may say so.

3) If one reads the Principal Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita and the Sri Bashya, one finds a great solace and knows what to pursue in the spiritual path. On the other hand, Dharma sastras which have to be followed no doubt, and which cannot be disputed by any standard have become unworkable in the present days. Anmikam of Vedanta Desika and other anmikams can be followed by brahmins who are learned in Vedas and who practise Vedas and live accoring to the Vedas. This is also expected of all us, I agree. When (I am sorry to say and would like to even avoid saying) even Vaideekas of modern days do not follow the sastras, and our women cannot follow the sastras in these days, the dilution of sastras has become a hard fact and a reality. If some want to follow all the dharma sastras strictly, there are not enough people to guide them also.

Only in the above circumstances, did I place before you a request as to what all are the sastras we can comply with in the present days so that we keep and maintain our ancient glory and traditions.

Let me repeat I honour and cherish the traditions and the Dharma Sastras, but feel sorry that I, like many others, am not able to strictly follow some of the commandments stated there.

I do not however to the examples quoted by Mr. Muralidharan. They are his views and I take it accordingly. For my part, I do not oppose the sastras at all and do not, however, wish to justify or defend what has been said in the sastras by relating them to the present day activities in some way or other, as Mr. Muralidharan has attempted, as the sastras and their authors, the well well learned maharishis, do not need any advocate to support them. They are all masterpieces and my regret is I am unable to follow all of them but would prefer to follow them if possible and this can be ensured only when I could live in a society which accepts all the behaviours prescribed in the sastras.

I apologise if I had unintentionally hurt anyone's feelings in this matter.

Thanks and with kind regards,

Padmanabhan

T V Padmanabhan Advocate A-20 Arcot Terrace 160 Arcot Road, Vadapalani Chennai 600 026, India

Tel: 91-44-23650911; 98400 52787

Start your day with - make it your home page

Messenger

NEW - crystal clear PC to PC

calling worldwide with voicemail