IndiaDivine.org

The glories of Parsva Ekadashi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Glories of Parsva Ekadashi

-------------------------------

[ Parsva Ekadashi Mahatmya from Brahma Vaivarta Purana ]

The glories of Parsva Ekadashi which is also known as Parivartini Ekadashi or Vamana Ekadashi is described in Brahmavaivartha Purana in the conversation between Lord Krishna and Maharaj Yudhisthira.

Maharaj Yudhisthira asked Lord Krishna what is the name of the Ekadashi which occures during the waxing moon in the month of August/September. How one should observe this Ekadashi and what is the merit one obtain by observing it? Please explain to me all these in details.

Lord Krishna replied O King!the Ekadashi which occures during the waxing moon in the month of August/September is called Parsva Ekadashi. This Ekadashi is very auspicious, it awards one liberation and takes away all ones sins. Just by hearing the glories of this Ekadashi all the sinful reactions of a person is vanquished. The peity one obtains by observing this Ekadashi can not be obtained even by performing Vajapeya sacrifice. This Ekadashi is also known as Jayanthi Ekadashi. One who worships Lord Vamana Deva with devotion on this day, he is worshiped by the inhabitants of the three worlds. A person who worships the Lotus eyed Lord Vishnu with a lotus flower undoubtedly goes back to the abode of the Lord. On this Ekadashi the sleeping lord turns from left side to right side. That is why this Ekadashi is renowded as Parsva Parivartini (Changing sides) Ekadashi.

Maharaj Yudhisthira said O Janardhana! Inspite of hearing your description I still have some doubts. O Lord of lords! How do you sleep and how do you change sides? What are the proceedures for observing the vow of Chaturmasya? What should people do when you are sleeping? Why did you bind Bali Maharaja with roopes? O my Lord! Please describe these to me in detail and remove my doubts.

Lord Krishna replied O Lion like King! There was a great devotee of me named Bali in Treta Yuga. Although he was born in a demoniac family he regularly worship me and offered various prayers. He also worshiped the brahmins and performed sacrifices. Soon he became so prominent that he defeated Indra the king of heaven and conquered the heavenly planet. Then Indra along with the other demigods and the sages approached me. By their prayer I assumed the form of a dwarf (Vamana) and went to the sacrificial areana of King Bali dressed as a small bramachari.

I asked Bali to give me three steps of Land in charity. When Bali requested me to ask for some thing more after hearing my demand for only three steps of land, I exhibited my determination to remain satisfied with what I asked . Without further consideration King Bali and his wife Vindhyawali gave me a the steps of land in charity. Due to being the supreme personality of Godhead Lord Vamanadeva gradually began to expand His body with his one step He covered the seven lower planetary systems and with his second step He coverd the entire planetary system. He Also covered the entire sky by expanding His body. When Vamana deva asked for the place to set his third step King Bali offered his head with folded hands. Then Lord Vamanadeva placed His third step on the head of the King Bali. Being fully satisfied by his humility I blessed him that I will constantly live with you.

On the day of this Ekadashi which occures during the waxing moon in the month of August/September a deity form of Vamanadeva was installed in the residence of King Bali. Another form of mine has been established in the bed of Anantha sesa in the ocean of milk. The Supreme Lord sleeps for four months begining from Sayana Ekadashi upto Uttana Ekadashi. One should specially worship the Lord during this four months. On should properly observe each and every Ekadashi. By observing this Ekadashi on obtains the result of performing one thousand horse sacrifices.