IndiaDivine.org

Gaya Sraddham

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Respected collegues in the Group, I am planning a trip to Gaya, Kasi, Allahabad, Ayodhya, Pushkar, etc. during late March/April. In this context, I digged some information on planning this pilgrimage. What I understand and came to know, I am giving below for the information of the group with an anticipation that other members who had had similar experiences will share them with others. Every Hindu has to do a Gaya Sraddham during his lifetime for offering pinda in that soil in honour of forefathers by performing a ceremony with the guidance of local Brihaspathis there. There can be discussions about the Acharams and Anushtanams that are followed by the local Brihaspathis/Pundits there who are involved in assisting pilgrims to do the Gaya Sraddham. I came to know at one time that we cannot take our own Brihaspathi from here to Gaya and perform the gaya sraddham there and we will have to go by the local

Brihaspathis in that soil notwithstanding their Acharams and Anushtanams differing with ours. As per a Lifco Publication, the gaya kshetram is a Punya Bhoomi. There was an Asuran called Gayasuran who did penance and obtained a Boon from Lord Vishnu to get his sariram more purified and sanctified than the sareerams of Brahma and Sivan so that anyone in contact with him will become a Punyathma giving no work to Yama in due course. All devas approached Lord Vishnu to stop this practice and on Lord's instructions, a Yaga was performed in this soil on the head of the Gayasuran. Brahma and Siva and Devas were present at the Yagam, but the Gayasuran's head was always dancing and tilting and Lord Vishnu came and stamped His feet on that head which then stopped its movements and the Yaga was successful. On the request of Gayasuran, Lord Vishnu granted the request that all the Trimurthis and all Devas will do Nityavasam

in that soil. Whoever offers Pindas at the place where the Lord Vishnu stamped His feet (Vishnu Padam) attain the benefit of their Pithrus for 21 generations obtaining Nalla Gadhi. I am told that Prathyabdhika Sraddham cannot be done at Gaya and we have to do it in our place according to our own Anushtanam and Practices. Gaya Sraddham is a once in a life time ceremony to be done there following the local customs and practices with the local priests or pundits or brihaspthis. One should stay there in Gaya for this purpose for two days, I believe, and the Pinda Dhanam ceremonies take about 8 hours or so in a day. If group members can enlighten everyone with more information or share their own experiences in this regard, it will be a good contribution to vaidheekam karma. Sastras may or may not talk about this, but some Puranas and age old customs and practices do give this significance and importance and if one has a

facility, he should follow this practice too as part of his Karma.

T V Padmanabhan Advocate A-20 Arcot Terrace 160 Arcot Road, Vadapalani Chennai 600 026, India

Tel: 91-44-23650911; 98400 52787

Bored stiff? Loosen up...Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.

Note: forwarded message attached.

T V Padmanabhan Advocate A-20 Arcot Terrace 160 Arcot Road, Vadapalani Chennai 600 026, India

Bored stiff? Loosen up...Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.

Dear Sir,

Well, pleasure to read your personal mail,

1. It is my bhagyam to be a Bruhaspathy for your family.

2. Yes. After Prathyapthika chardham doing gaya chradham will be good.

3. There is no advice about the Gaya Chradham in books.

4. But we should obey the Bruhaspathy who is conducting it there that is all.

5. If possible took upavasam on the previous day to Gaya Chradham it is more than enough.

6. If you feel it better to distribute in our group you can forward it after editting if necessary.

Rest of the things can be discussesed as per your convenience,

my kind regards to Smt.Sugantha Mami,

always your loving friend,

nvs

On 2/4/07, T.V.Padmanabhan <tvp7 wrote:

Dear Mama,

I am approaching you for personal request and advice. My father's annual ceremony falls on the Amavasai thithi in Panguni masam (18th March 2007). I request you to be my Brihaspathi for this ceremony as Sri Devanathan is indisposed and has probably given up the vaideekam due to age and health problems. My mother's ceremony last september, I did it in USA. Prior to that for one ceremony (2006 Panguni), Sri Devanathan didn't come and sent his brother-in-law's son. Earlier, Sri Devanathan has been the Brihaspathi for more than 20 years.

Next thing, I am planning a trip to Gaya, Allahabad, Kasi, Pushkar, Ayodhya in late March and early April. What are the steps I should follow to do the Gaya Sraddham in Gaya and are there any other religious obligations for me to discharge during this pilgrimage. I believe it is alright to do Gaya Sraddham after the Prathyabdhika Sraddham. Should there be any interval? Please enlighten.

With kind regards,

Padmanabhan

P.S. I am copying this mail to vaideekam group also as any information you may give me on the pilgrimage and religious obligations may be helpful to other group members also. However, you may decide whether to put this part of the message in the vaideekam group or not.

Padmanabhan

Never miss an email again! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives.

Check it out. -- தமிழிலà¯à®®à¯ செயà¯à®¤à®¿à®•à®³à¯ˆ பரிமாறிகà¯à®•à¯†à®¾à®³à¯à®³à®²à®¾à®®à¯.