IndiaDivine.org

Fw: [Vaideekam] Mahalaya Tarpanam a Few observations

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear AastikAs :

As a Co-Moderator of the Vaidheekam group ,

It is my pleasure to forward the translation of the Tamil article by Sriman Vaasu Vaadhyar

Swamy by a Memebr of the Vaidheekam group.

NamO SrI NrisimhAya,

V.Sadagopan

SrI:

Mahalayam:-

Mahalayam means a place of large gathering. Our pitrus come to earth to stay more free here for these 16 days to do good to their progeny. It is our duty to do sraddham, Hiranya sraddham or at least tarpanam.There are two types of observing mahalayam: Paksha mahalayam for observing everyday of the entire mahalaya paksham (15 sraddhams); sakrun mahalayam- one day sraddham or tarpanam. This is in addition to Mahalaya Amavasyai sraddham or tarpaNam.Restrictions: 1. If a pitru sraddham falls within mahalayam, then mahalayam (sraddham) can be observed only after performing the pitru sraddham. Mahalayam can be performed on the next day after the pitru sraddham.2. For sakrun mahalam (one day), on Fridays, prathamai, sashti, chaturdasi, ekadasi tithis, Revati, makam, nakshatrams,self janma nakshatram, patni janma nakshatram or son's janam nakshatram days should not be observed.3. For some reason, if mahalayam can not be observed in bhadrapada krishna paksham, there is time up to thula masam.Exceptions:1. For paksha mahalayam, the above days of tithi, vara and nakshatra dosha restrictions do not apply.2. For sakrun mahalayam, Certain days in this period are considered important: For example the day with bharani is called mahabharani; Krishna paksha ashtami called madhyashtami; navami called vyatipadam; Thrayodasi called Gajachaayai.In these days (mahabharani, madhyashtami, vytipadam or gajachayai), one should not be concerned about restricted vara, nakshatram or tithis dosham as above (under restrictions).sakrun mahalaya sraddham can be observed from Panchami days, on Panchami, saptami,ashtami, navami, dasami,dwadasi, thrayodasi and also pita tithi (excluding pitru sraddham day within mahalayam).In the sankalpam of sakrun mahalaya tarpanam, one should say .. sakrun mahalaya sraddha pratiniti tila tarpanam karishye...

AasthikAs should understand the offerings during

Pithru Kaaryams are for Pithru DevathAs and not for Pithrus .

sriman naaraayaana!

dasan.---

Dear swamin,

If my pithru / mathru/ forefathers sradhdham falls immediately after

mahalaya paksha , next month, how long can we proceed for mahalayam?.

due to asaucham if I am unable to do sakrun mahalayam in the paksham

then can I do after wards. If many brothers are doing mahalayam

mentioning same father name have all to do on the same day or not?

After performing the shradhdham the kartha has necessarily take the

sesham or he can continue his nirjalam also.

When patni / bharya is out of house can the male perform this mahalayam

since he is doing avahanam only for pithru vargam and not mathru

vargam?

Pl enlighten me the above clarifications.

Dasan

RSrinivasan

SrI:

Daer Sri SrinivAsan : Vaidheekam Groups' moderator is the right person to answer your questions .Please redirect your questions to him .

V.Sadagopan

-

Srinivasan.R

desikasampradaya

Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:16 PM

Re: Fw: [Vaideekam] Re: Mahalaya Tarpanam a Few observations

Dear swamin,If my pithru / mathru/ forefathers sradhdham falls immediately after mahalaya paksha , next month, how long can we proceed for mahalayam?.due to asaucham if I am unable to do sakrun mahalayam in the paksham then can I do after wards. If many brothers are doing mahalayam mentioning same father name have all to do on the same day or not? After performing the shradhdham the kartha has necessarily take the sesham or he can continue his nirjalam also.When patni / bharya is out of house can the male perform this mahalayam since he is doing avahanam only for pithru vargam and not mathru vargam? Pl enlighten me the above clarifications.DasanRSrinivasan